7 Wonders of Hawaii: Hanauma Bay

7 Wonders of Hawaii: Hanauma Bay

There are 44 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Apr 1, 2008, titled 7 Wonders of Hawaii: Hanauma Bay. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

JAMM AQUINO The well-known volcanic caldera of Hanauma Bay is one of Oahu's most popular visitor destinations.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Big Okole

Virginia Beach, VA

#1 Apr 1, 2008
Who picks these 7 wonders of Hawaii, is it the visitor's Bureau?

I bet tomorrow it will be Waimea Canyon.
Luv D Surf

Honolulu, HI

#2 Apr 1, 2008
Hey, Big Okole, its more interesting to see which comments this newspaper will choose to delete. Its becoming more like the Nazi's when they were burning books back in the day. As for me I'm signing out of this forum. Your comments have always made me laugh and has been really entertaining at times. Aloha my brother.
Big Okole

Virginia Beach, VA

#3 Apr 1, 2008
Luv D Surf wrote:
Hey, Big Okole, its more interesting to see which comments this newspaper will choose to delete. Its becoming more like the Nazi's when they were burning books back in the day. As for me I'm signing out of this forum. Your comments have always made me laugh and has been really entertaining at times. Aloha my brother.
Thanks for reading,

I am surprised my comments didn't get deleted yesterday.
Bill

United States

#4 Apr 1, 2008
I have a large piece of coral (vollyball size) that came from the Hawaiian Telecom blasting back in the 50's. It is beautiful. I understand and agree that it would be a travesty do that today, but I am glad I have a Hawaiian memento to keep my thoughts warm during cold winter days at home.
Bill

United States

#5 Apr 1, 2008
And no, I'm not returning it.
Bill

United States

#7 Apr 1, 2008
Ha-Ha. I'm not THAT dumb, brah! I believe in the power of Pele.
Who cares

Honolulu, HI

#8 Apr 1, 2008
i used go there when i was a kid...nowdays its a dumping ground for tour agencies...hardly see any locals there anymore. another place relegated to the tourist industry.
Charlie

Honolulu, HI

#9 Apr 1, 2008
Big Okole, I think you're right. Looks like HVB is calling the shots here. The spiritual experience of Hanauma Bay that once was, has been seriously eroded by the onslaught of the tourist presence just like Stonehenge in England.
used2workthere

Honolulu, HI

#10 Apr 1, 2008
Alan Hong and his group of personally picked "supertroopers" parade around the place as if they created it for everyone. He runs it as if it is his personal playground. He affects the very livelyhood of people who need to work by taking one look a them and then recomending them for transfer or termination. Be belittles people whom he feels are beneath him and thinks that he walk on water. I have seen him do this for over two years when i worked there from 196 to 1999. He as no ability to be nice and undertanding to locals. When people dont bring there id to get in free, they plead to him and he just says charge them. What local goes to the beach with his wallet? Hanauma Bay in his minds in for elitist and toursist. He doenst want locals to enjoy the beach there. I have seen too many people affected by this headstrong, napoleanic mentality. Someone needs to seriously check in to this because many contract companies and people have been affected by him.
Honolulu

Ewa Beach, HI

#11 Apr 1, 2008
Who cares wrote:
i used go there when i was a kid...nowdays its a dumping ground for tour agencies...hardly see any locals there anymore. another place relegated to the tourist industry.
It's much nicer than I remember in the 70's to 80's. Water is cleaner, lots of fish, updated and clean grounds. Used to look run down before.
Honolulu

Ewa Beach, HI

#12 Apr 1, 2008
Charlie wrote:
Big Okole, I think you're right. Looks like HVB is calling the shots here. The spiritual experience of Hanauma Bay that once was, has been seriously eroded by the onslaught of the tourist presence just like Stonehenge in England.
I disagree. I think it is better preserved.
Bruddah in Texas

Montgomery, AL

#13 Apr 1, 2008
I was born and raised in Hawaii, am half-Hawaiian, and in the military stationed in Texas. I went home 6 yrs ago and was told I had to pay to park at Hanauma Bay and that I had to pay to use the park. I remember visiting the park when I was younger and it was free. In fact, my family knew friends of the caretakers and we would have great parties at the park at night. Those were the days and it saddens me to see how the islands have become to survive in this business world.
Local

Honolulu, HI

#14 Apr 1, 2008
Unbelievable....comments. For my buck I get educated on how this teasure was created and how to preserve it. Honestly

Since: Mar 08

Irvine, CA

#15 Apr 1, 2008
Indelible Memories-
1940's-50's -Taking the HRT from Nuuanu with the boys in our palaka shorts, slippers,bamboo poles,hooks and baits to the Bay and walking from one end to the "Toilet Bowl".
1960"s -'70's- Driving down the road to unload my three children, ice chests, swimming and snorkling gear, towels and barbeque stuffs and sharing good times with the locals from 8am to 6pm on a Saturday. Yep, I walked back up to the FREE parking lot and drove down to get my stuffs.ALWAYS GETTING RID OF THE OPALA!!
pleez

Honolulu, HI

#16 Apr 1, 2008
Hardly go there any more. Have heard of the pettiness of Alan Hong and just don't like the way the Bay is run. He seems to be a poster boy for a typical government employee.
poultier

United States

#17 Apr 1, 2008
If you did not have someone like Alan Hong and others fighting to get the bay as it is now, it would still be full of Japanese tourists waiting for their hotel rooms to open up. You would still have cigaret butts in the sand and people feeding the fish frozen peas and corn. I lived in Hawaii for 50+ years but when I go back I expect to pay the $5 to get in. Keep up the good work Alan!
Count Your Blessings

Honolulu, HI

#18 Apr 1, 2008
Yes, Hanauma Bay is full of visitors. The local people are all too busy making a living and trying to survive the cost of living in paradise. No time to go to the beach.
We need to keep our visitors attracted to our islands. Without them we all could end up like our unfortunate kamaaina in Molokai.
Count Your Blessings.
Aloha Ke Akua!

Since: Mar 08

Honolulu, HI

#19 Apr 1, 2008
I think........that Haunamua Bay.......is important. Because without it, how can people learn where to fish from a plane, or even better, sort out their lawnmower?
kaimuki

Honolulu, HI

#20 Apr 1, 2008
Locals are out. Tourists and dive tour companies are in.

It is so sad that we locals are essentially prohibited from accessing our own beaches. Once upon a time it was fun to go to Hanauma bay. Nowadays if a relative asks me to take them there I tell them no way. If I wanna struggle that much and stress out to find parking I'll just wait to Christmas time and go to Ala Moana Shopping Center. Everything has gone to the tourists and we locals are left with nothing.

Worse yet they're trying to create more MLCD's that replicate Hanauma bay so what does this mean for the locals? Even less access for locals as the tourists hourdes move in while the dive tour companies fatten their wallets. All at the expense of Hawaii's local residents.

Sad whats happening to our state.
common sense rules

Honolulu, HI

#21 Apr 1, 2008
You are so correct that the locals are being squeezed out. Look at the north shore. Recently the North Shore neighborhood board voted to ban commercial dive operatorrs after a group of fishermen who were fighting to gain fishing rights back in the Pupukea area proved to the board that the locals were squeezed out and the dive tour operators dominate the area.

To my knowledge this has been over a year ago and so far nothing has been done. More proof that our government has become anti-local people and pro-tourism industry only. This same group of fishermen had to remind the neighborhood board as well as the DLNR that they are violating their own mission by putting commercial interests over public interests as the creation of a Marine life conservation district only served to benefit the tourism and dive tour indistry. Lets see what happens.
kaimuki wrote:
Locals are out. Tourists and dive tour companies are in.
It is so sad that we locals are essentially prohibited from accessing our own beaches. Once upon a time it was fun to go to Hanauma bay. Nowadays if a relative asks me to take them there I tell them no way. If I wanna struggle that much and stress out to find parking I'll just wait to Christmas time and go to Ala Moana Shopping Center. Everything has gone to the tourists and we locals are left with nothing.
Worse yet they're trying to create more MLCD's that replicate Hanauma bay so what does this mean for the locals? Even less access for locals as the tourists hourdes move in while the dive tour companies fatten their wallets. All at the expense of Hawaii's local residents.
Sad whats happening to our state.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hana Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Reminders for Hawaii residents to prepare for d... Apr '16 June Ann 1
News Hula competitors avoid iconic flower because of... Mar '16 DILF 10
Pukalani Music Selection (Sep '12) Feb '16 Musikologist 12
News Hawaiian Islands Weather Details & Aloha Paragr... Feb '16 ben 1
News Police and Fire - Hawaii News (Nov '09) Jan '16 Joe Balls 4
Kula Music Thread (Dec '14) Oct '15 Musikologist 4
News Maui Residents Brace For Tsunami (Feb '10) Jun '15 u never know where 3
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hana Mortgages