Critics complain officer follows law to the letter

LANAI CITY Some call him "Robocop," after the 1987 film character -- a part-human, part-machine law enforcement officer in futuristic Detroit. Full Story
First Prev
of 27
Next Last
Mick

Kahului, HI

#543 Oct 9, 2008
alice wrote:
Lanai does not seem like an intellectually viable place.
Alice! For the sake of all of us....drop Dead!
Casual Observer

Koloa, HI

#544 Oct 9, 2008
alice wrote:
Lanai does not seem like an intellectually viable place.
Lets see... Moolakai (your spelling) made its bed- let it lie in it.... Lanaidoes not seem like an intellectually viable place... Alice, if you don't like Hawaii- why not just leave and return to your North Dakota trailer park. Maybe your mother can finish the job she so far has failed at teaching you manners. Such unnecessary comments you write...
take it easy

Lanai City, HI

#545 Oct 16, 2008
Alice. why dont you go back to wonderland. The reason were discussing this is because this article is very important to us, the people of Lana'i. Im not sure why you are so bothered by us writing. Not like it has anything to do with you!! Apparently, your the bored one reading all the comments.
Informer

Lanai City, HI

#550 Jan 2, 2009
So did anyone hear the recent news?
wreckless driving....Robocop...??
reddog

Lanai City, HI

#551 Jan 6, 2009
Informer wrote:
So did anyone hear the recent news?
wreckless driving....Robocop...??
Which incident? The one where he pinned his neighbor with his vehicle or the one where he was DRIVING on the SIDEWALK at the local high school after a basketball game (in which kids scattered to get out of his way)? What a dumbass.
Informer

Lanai City, HI

#552 Feb 2, 2009
reddog wrote:
<quoted text>
Which incident? The one where he pinned his neighbor with his vehicle or the one where he was DRIVING on the SIDEWALK at the local high school after a basketball game (in which kids scattered to get out of his way)? What a dumbass.
It's like he is bipolar or something!! Erratic behavior...
Lanai Resident

Lanai City, HI

#554 Feb 19, 2009
How does a town meeting to discuss what we as citizens can or cannot do or say when stopped and questioned by Officer Pyland. I feel we give him too much information and we need to protect ourselves. I know a lawyer who is willing to come to Lanai to advise us of our legal rights. we need to know the law to fight back against this over zealous idiot.

Since: Sep 08

Nassau, Bahamas

#555 Feb 21, 2009
Is it true? Was he beat down like the kitten he is?
Visitor from the East

United States

#556 Sep 18, 2010
Hello all,
I was just visiting Lanai for a wedding with my parents, my wife and two daughters and we decided to rent a jeep to go to town and support the local business's in town, but in the time it took the 6 of us in a 4 passenger jeep to get there officer Pyland pulls us over and tickets us for having no seatbelts on; OK we're guilty, but you mean to tell me he couldn't have given us a warning and had 2 of us walk back to the lodge? Comne on, this action of his stopped us from spending money in the town and helping us support the local business people. This type of hardcore law enforcement is not good for your lovely island's tourism. I feel bad for the community. I asked around town and heard a lot of negetive sentiment about this guy, busting peoples chops for stupid little infractions; I heard he busted a 9 year old child for not wearing a helmet. I heard he even gave a citation to the owner of The Lodge for having a child not in a childs car seat. If I were an island native and I knew he was ruining the
image of my beautiful community, I would petition the island leaders to have him removed.
I still can't believe he couldn't give us a warning.
Oh, I also heard that the car rental company that rented us the jeeep was the same guy that failed Officer Pyland on his vehicles safety inspection a week earlier. What an unfortunate experience.
stumpy

Waipahu, HI

#557 Sep 19, 2010
Visitor from the East wrote:
Hello all,
I was just visiting Lanai for a wedding with my parents, my wife and two daughters and we decided to rent a jeep to go to town and support the local business's in town, but in the time it took the 6 of us in a 4 passenger jeep to get there officer Pyland pulls us over and tickets us for having no seatbelts on; OK we're guilty, but you mean to tell me he couldn't have given us a warning and had 2 of us walk back to the lodge? Comne on, this action of his stopped us from spending money in the town and helping us support the local business people.
So if you have money to spend you should receive a warning, but if you aren't wealthy you receive a ticket? Maybe you should have shown him your W2 and he would have been scared of you. Or, maybe two of you should have used your money to rent a second car.
Gramps

Eureka, CA

#558 Sep 21, 2010
Niele2 wrote:
Putting a 14 year old in the squad car? On Lanai, where everyone knows everyone?
TICKETING a 9 year old? What happened to the approach like a friendly talk about wearing your helmet and making her walk her bike home?
C'mon, you do want a cop to go a good job like this one is. But you also want the ability to show a little judgment.
This is how I feel. Good job, Officer Pyland, and always be kind to others and their families just like you would with your own keikis. Honey is better than vinegar for experience, eh?
Waimea Man

Mililani, HI

#559 Sep 21, 2010
This guy is a two bit punk from California and needs to get fired soon for his overzealous actions.
stumpy

Waipahu, HI

#560 Sep 22, 2010
Waimea Man wrote:
This guy is a two bit punk from California and needs to get fired soon for his overzealous actions.
So what would you fire him for, for not doing his job? Sounds like the easiest solution would be to just change your laws and make all those illegal things legal.
Waimea Man

Mililani, HI

#561 Sep 27, 2010
Stumpy,
He's out of control overzealous. Holding a gun on 75 year old retired pineapple worker, driving through the park in the middle of town, etc. etc.

It sounds to me like a police department cover up of one of their own, again.
stumpy

Waipahu, HI

#562 Sep 27, 2010
Waimea Man wrote:
Stumpy,
He's out of control overzealous. Holding a gun on 75 year old retired pineapple worker, driving through the park in the middle of town, etc. etc.
It sounds to me like a police department cover up of one of their own, again.
What are they covering up? Sounds like people there don't like the laws enforced, so just change the law or hire lazy cops like Honolulu.

Since: Jul 08

Lana'i

#563 Nov 10, 2010
This cops pulled a gun on a man when it was a routine stop. It was totally uncalled for.
stumpy

Waipahu, HI

#564 Nov 10, 2010
Polihua wrote:
This cops pulled a gun on a man when it was a routine stop. It was totally uncalled for.
You saw this happen?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 27
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hana Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
If you Like Haiku Stairs, Speak Up Oct 21 Beep Beep 4 29
Pukalani Music Selection (Sep '12) Aug '14 Musikologist 9
Hawaii governor seeks to prime budget pump (Dec '07) Aug '14 Yellow Cab Driver 13
How we saved a bundle on a car in Maui by renti... Jun '14 elmar winkler 1
Review: Vishnevska, Nina MD - Nina Vishnevska MD (Mar '10) Jun '14 cat 5
Police probing fatal jump (Jul '07) Sep '13 Debbie Texas 14
Central East Maui Wins Hawaii State Championship (Jul '13) Jul '13 Brian C 1
Hana Dating
Find my Match

Hana Jobs

Hana People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Hana News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Hana

Personal Finance