Critics complain officer follows law ...

Critics complain officer follows law to the letter

There are 537 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Sep 8, 2008, titled Critics complain officer follows law to the letter. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

LANAI CITY Some call him "Robocop," after the 1987 film character -- a part-human, part-machine law enforcement officer in futuristic Detroit.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

First Prev
of 27
Next Last
Aiea

Wahiawa, HI

#1 Sep 8, 2008
Can we get him for over here? Seems like we could use more like him.
Kahuna

Dallas, TX

#2 Sep 8, 2008
Crime has gone down and people are complaining. Unbelievable!
Enforce all of the laws...well, unless it's us who are breaking them!!
Gimme a Break

Pampanga, Philippines

#3 Sep 8, 2008
Do the crime pay the fine!! Keep up the good work officer Pyland. Retired NYPD.
Terri

Citrus Heights, CA

#4 Sep 8, 2008
The father, whose daughter didn't wear a helmet while riding her bike, needs to be arrested for 'child endangerment'. Those laws are there for a reason. Good job Officer Pyland. We need more officers like you.
lokewilson

Fremont, CA

#5 Sep 8, 2008
Office Pyland is doing his job. Just too bad that you don't see him doing preventative maintenance.
Leave keys in the car sometimes equals a stolen car. Think about it.
Riding a bicycle without a helmet might pevent a serious injury.
Pops

Honolulu, HI

#6 Sep 8, 2008
Cop doing his job and people bitch. Would you rather him sitting in a coffee shop(like HPD)and let the criminals run wild. Lanai get a life.
veteran

Stockton, CA

#7 Sep 8, 2008
serve the people not your ego. you live in a small commuity-show some aloha.
Ancient Chinese Secrets

Wahiawa, HI

#8 Sep 8, 2008
Don't petition the cop for doing his job. Go talk to your legislative members and tell them to get rid of the laws.

Cops are supposed to enforce the laws, they can't decide for themselves which ones are "good".

If we do this right, we can get rid of a LOT of the un-necessary laws. Probably some moke created the bicycle helmet law to try to win some votes, to show that he cared about the kala--I mean kids. Reap what you sow.
manini

Kapaau, HI

#9 Sep 8, 2008
I think the reason the guy is going overboard is so he will be sent back to Maui. Once back to Maui, he will revert to normal cop behavior.
There is more than one way a law enforcement officer can do his job. Apparently this one has chosen to act like a jerk while doing his.
No respect fromt he community results in no support from the community.
Lolo

Honolulu, HI

#10 Sep 8, 2008
Daammed if you do or daaammed if you don't.

I wish there were more cops like him instead of the ones with their big gut hanging over their gun belts slurping coffee and donuts at Zippys.
Love Waianae

Ewa Beach, HI

#11 Sep 8, 2008
Ancient Chinese Secrets wrote:
Cops are supposed to enforce the laws, they can't decide for themselves which ones are "good".
If we do this right, we can get rid of a LOT of the un-necessary laws. Probably some moke created the bicycle helmet law to try to win some votes, to show that he cared about the kala--I mean kids. Reap what you sow.
Sad, but true. Polititions make their bones by getting laws passed, no matter how ridiculous and unenforcable that law may be. Just as long as they leave the rich alone.
Angels in blue

Honolulu, HI

#12 Sep 8, 2008
Officers like this prove that they love us sometimes more than we love ourselves. Blessed is any neighborhood or community that have these angels in blue that really are showing lawful love to those who can see.

For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him shall not perish but have everlasting life...

For jesus so loved the world he left the church till he returns...

The church so loves the world that a representative ambassador from the all mighty...is wearing blue and loves us in Lanai.
Creed of Pearl City

Kihei, HI

#13 Sep 8, 2008
From this article it seems that the officer and the people of this community are starting to learn the lost art of respect. Some times following the letter of the law (the police officer) and protection of ones freedom/rights (the people) can only be obtained by using a little common sence.
WHAT

Honolulu, HI

#14 Sep 8, 2008
I don't live on the island of Lana'i, but I am a frequent visitor. I love the beautiful and peaceful island and the people are so friendly. Maybe officer Pyland might seem a little over zealous when it comes to his job, but at least he cares about his island. I see a lot of our police officers here on Oahu who think that they are above the law. I'm talking about the ones who park in a no parking zone because he has to go to the bank or credit union. I work by the C&C FCU and I see that happen every pay day. But if you're not a cop you can be sure you'll have a ticket on your windshield. There are other examples that I could list, but I would end up writing an essay about it. Not all of the cops do that, but the few that do make it seem that way because they're so blatant about it.
Mokebla

United States

#15 Sep 8, 2008
What part of the Law people just don't understand? The Law, or that's the Law? Hello anybody home on Lanai? I see the lights on and the door open and the car in the carport. Must be the rapture!
Niele2

Kaneohe, HI

#16 Sep 8, 2008
Putting a 14 year old in the squad car? On Lanai, where everyone knows everyone?

TICKETING a 9 year old? What happened to the approach like a friendly talk about wearing your helmet and making her walk her bike home?

C'mon, you do want a cop to go a good job like this one is. But you also want the ability to show a little judgment.
g-girl

Newington, CT

#17 Sep 8, 2008
If we had this kind of commitment in New York State he would receive a metal! You should be happy that someone cares enough to protect you and yours!
Anonymous

Kilauea, HI

#18 Sep 8, 2008
That's why the law is "written"....if there are problems, the judge will decide.
XTZ

Honolulu, HI

#19 Sep 8, 2008
Niele2 wrote:
Putting a 14 year old in the squad car? On Lanai, where everyone knows everyone?
TICKETING a 9 year old? What happened to the approach like a friendly talk about wearing your helmet and making her walk her bike home?
C'mon, you do want a cop to go a good job like this one is. But you also want the ability to show a little judgment.
You clearly have not been in tune with the way kids act these days. A bit more discipline is just what is needed. I think he used EXCELLENT judgment.
RBC

Honolulu, HI

#20 Sep 8, 2008
Geez, criticize the guy for doing his job. Why bother at all? May as well suck up the free coffee at Zippy's since nobocy gives a rat's az.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 27
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hana Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
You took down my post? Jan 18 Fukme 1
News If you Like Haiku Stairs, Speak Up (Sep '14) Dec '16 FreeTheStairs 30
Pukalani Music Selection (Sep '12) Nov '16 Musikologist 13
Kula Music Thread (Dec '14) Jul '16 Musikologist 5
News Hula competitors avoid iconic flower because of... (Mar '16) Mar '16 DILF 10
News Hawaiian Islands Weather Details & Aloha Paragr... (Feb '16) Feb '16 ben 1
News Police and Fire - Hawaii News (Nov '09) Jan '16 Joe Balls 4

Hana Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hana Mortgages