$4 gallon means Maui rates No. 1 in gas report

Full story: Honolulu Star-Bulletin

GARY T. KUBOTA / GKUBOTA@STARBULLETIN.COM As shown on this gas station sign yesterday, the price of regular unleaded gasoline has jumped to more than $4 a gallon in Wailuku as well as other parts of Maui, ...

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of61
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Big Okole

Clifton, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2008

The Union 76 sign stands for $76 to fill up your tank.
willie higa

Batavia, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2008

In filled up this morning in Omaha Nebraska for @3.16 per gal. I average 42MPH on my 2002 Honda, standard shift. So sorry to hear about your prices. I bought a gallon of milk for $2.98 and thought it was high. Better stock up on rice because yesterday's news said that the price of rice will skyrocket in the world market.
Kaluhiokalani

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2008

why is the president and the congress not doing anything about the oil crisis? Why have we not heard from our state lesgislators? Where are the leaders of the democrat and republican parties? They need to bury their idealogical differances and get this country back on track.
maui haole

Portland, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2008

all I can hope for is beer prices to remain stable!
george yoshinaga

Diamond Bar, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2008

Yes, gas over $4 a gallon is ridiculous but shouldn't be compared to the Mainland. Reason? Simple. A Mainland driver puts in many more miles daily because of the distances he must cover. In the Islands, a driver doesn't approach the mileage of Mainlanders.
Bear Creek Man

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2008

Still gas prices on average are cheaper in Hawaii than California. Go figure since California has a set of refineries, one would expect gas prices to be cheaper. Nope, its called record profits for gas companies.
Paul from Wisconsin

Madison, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2008

When the price of gasoline doubles to $8/gallon, I hope you have a good pair of walking shoes, a bicycle or a good mass transit system ready.
Big Okole

Clifton, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2008

Kaluhiokalani wrote:
why is the president and the congress not doing anything about the oil crisis? Why have we not heard from our state lesgislators? Where are the leaders of the democrat and republican parties? They need to bury their idealogical differances and get this country back on track.
What do you suggest?

The countries that have the oil are setting a high price. Do you want us to invade those countries and take over those oil supplies.

There are more developing countries willing to pay more for oil and they use less oil than we do.

As a country we use more oil per person than any other country on earth.

As a state we could make greater use of geothermal power generation, solar, wind energy, nuclear power, etc, in order to decrease our dependence on oil but the protesters will complain about everything and shut thing down.

The superferry is more efficient at transporting people and cargo between the islands than the airlines yet people would rather take the airlines.

The people just have to change their way of thinking and not let the protesters and environmentalists rule their lives.
Big Okole

Clifton, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2008

george yoshinaga wrote:
Yes, gas over $4 a gallon is ridiculous but shouldn't be compared to the Mainland. Reason? Simple. A Mainland driver puts in many more miles daily because of the distances he must cover. In the Islands, a driver doesn't approach the mileage of Mainlanders.
Besides the Hawaiian drivers have other alternatives: great bus system, Scooter friendly roads, great weather for walking or standing by the bus stop, riding the scooter, etc.
VFW

Pleasanton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2008

Bear Creek Man wrote:
Still gas prices on average are cheaper in Hawaii than California. Go figure since California has a set of refineries, one would expect gas prices to be cheaper. Nope, its called record profits for gas companies.
No. It's because of all the extra enviro restrictions and taxes in California.

All those "props" and "measures" of the past have accumulated to this result. So we ante up and pay for it.

Since: Nov 07

Anchorage, AK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2008

Just filled up my SUV at Tesoro...$3.94 per gallon. As long as the price of dog food remains stable, I guess my sled dogs will be my most economical choice of transportation. I get about 60 miles to the gallon (of dog chow), depending on the temperature.

FYI, the same Tesoro refinery that supplies the majority of Hawaii is only 90 miles north of us... yet we pay more than most Hawaiians... supply and demand they say.
Pupuka

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2008

When fuel is this high we need to encourage job resources close to the needy. It doesn't surprise me that Lingle, Hee, Magoagay, Nakata, and Harbin have opposite views. Development is not good for the poor. It makes it to easy for them.
love waianae

Aiea, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2008

Big Okole wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you want us to invade those countries and take over those oil supplies.
Actually, I was kind of sorry we turned Kuwait over after running iraq off. I saw this coming and they are not our friends.
David Hill

Wailuku, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2008

My mother called me yesterday from New York City area. Gas there is only $3.07 a gallon!
VFW

Pleasanton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2008

Alaska Warrior Fan wrote:
Just filled up my SUV at Tesoro...$3.94 per gallon. As long as the price of dog food remains stable, I guess my sled dogs will be my most economical choice of transportation. I get about 60 miles to the gallon (of dog chow), depending on the temperature.
FYI, the same Tesoro refinery that supplies the majority of Hawaii is only 90 miles north of us... yet we pay more than most Hawaiians... supply and demand they say.
What happens when there's no snow?

BTW, I think Tesoro, along with Chevron, has a refinery in Hawaii, so I doubt if the gas comes from the one in AK.
aintgoinback

Middlebury, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2008

As long as the price of dog food remains stable, I guess my sled dogs will be my most economical choice of transportation.
Glad you said "transportation." For a moment, I thought you was one rancher!:)

Since: Nov 07

Anchorage, AK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2008

VFW wrote:
<quoted text>
What happens when there's no snow?
BTW, I think Tesoro, along with Chevron, has a refinery in Hawaii, so I doubt if the gas comes from the one in AK.
Acccording to an excerpt from a 10-K SEC Filing, filed by TESORO PETROLEUM CORP, "The Hawaii Refinery, located at Kapolei in an industrial park 22 miles west of Honolulu, was acquired by the Company in May 1998. The Hawaii Refinery's crude oil supply is sourced primarily from Alaska".

We use wheeled carts instead of sleds when the snow melts.
dee

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2008

Same old thing on Maui, the "greedy isle."
VFW

Pleasanton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2008

We use wheeled carts instead of sleds when the snow melts.
Ha ha! Good one.:-)
pretty wahine

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2008

maui haole wrote:
all I can hope for is beer prices to remain stable!
AMEN TO THAT MY BRADDAH

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of61
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Hana Discussions

Search the Hana Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
How we saved a bundle on a car in Maui by renti... Jun 30 elmar winkler 1
Review: Vishnevska, Nina MD - Nina Vishnevska MD (Mar '10) Jun 18 cat 5
Rudeness May '14 Ron Brinkhurst 2
Power outage in the Pukalani area May '14 Shannon Ward 1
Teen flies to Hawaii hidden in landing gear Apr '14 Adrian Godsafe MSc 1
Pukalani Music Selection (Sep '12) Apr '14 Musikologist 8
Review: All Stars Garage Mar '14 Roger 1
•••
•••