$4 gallon means Maui rates No. 1 in g...

$4 gallon means Maui rates No. 1 in gas report

There are 61 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Apr 11, 2008, titled $4 gallon means Maui rates No. 1 in gas report. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

GARY T. KUBOTA / [email protected] As shown on this gas station sign yesterday, the price of regular unleaded gasoline has jumped to more than $4 a gallon in Wailuku as well as other parts of Maui, ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Big Okole

Norfolk, VA

#1 Apr 11, 2008
The Union 76 sign stands for $76 to fill up your tank.
willie higa

United States

#2 Apr 11, 2008
In filled up this morning in Omaha Nebraska for @3.16 per gal. I average 42MPH on my 2002 Honda, standard shift. So sorry to hear about your prices. I bought a gallon of milk for $2.98 and thought it was high. Better stock up on rice because yesterday's news said that the price of rice will skyrocket in the world market.
Kaluhiokalani

United States

#3 Apr 11, 2008
why is the president and the congress not doing anything about the oil crisis? Why have we not heard from our state lesgislators? Where are the leaders of the democrat and republican parties? They need to bury their idealogical differances and get this country back on track.
maui haole

Portland, OR

#4 Apr 11, 2008
all I can hope for is beer prices to remain stable!
george yoshinaga

Oxnard, CA

#5 Apr 11, 2008
Yes, gas over $4 a gallon is ridiculous but shouldn't be compared to the Mainland. Reason? Simple. A Mainland driver puts in many more miles daily because of the distances he must cover. In the Islands, a driver doesn't approach the mileage of Mainlanders.
Bear Creek Man

Santa Cruz, CA

#6 Apr 11, 2008
Still gas prices on average are cheaper in Hawaii than California. Go figure since California has a set of refineries, one would expect gas prices to be cheaper. Nope, its called record profits for gas companies.
Paul from Wisconsin

De Forest, WI

#7 Apr 11, 2008
When the price of gasoline doubles to $8/gallon, I hope you have a good pair of walking shoes, a bicycle or a good mass transit system ready.
Big Okole

Norfolk, VA

#8 Apr 11, 2008
Kaluhiokalani wrote:
why is the president and the congress not doing anything about the oil crisis? Why have we not heard from our state lesgislators? Where are the leaders of the democrat and republican parties? They need to bury their idealogical differances and get this country back on track.
What do you suggest?

The countries that have the oil are setting a high price. Do you want us to invade those countries and take over those oil supplies.

There are more developing countries willing to pay more for oil and they use less oil than we do.

As a country we use more oil per person than any other country on earth.

As a state we could make greater use of geothermal power generation, solar, wind energy, nuclear power, etc, in order to decrease our dependence on oil but the protesters will complain about everything and shut thing down.

The superferry is more efficient at transporting people and cargo between the islands than the airlines yet people would rather take the airlines.

The people just have to change their way of thinking and not let the protesters and environmentalists rule their lives.
Big Okole

Norfolk, VA

#9 Apr 11, 2008
george yoshinaga wrote:
Yes, gas over $4 a gallon is ridiculous but shouldn't be compared to the Mainland. Reason? Simple. A Mainland driver puts in many more miles daily because of the distances he must cover. In the Islands, a driver doesn't approach the mileage of Mainlanders.
Besides the Hawaiian drivers have other alternatives: great bus system, Scooter friendly roads, great weather for walking or standing by the bus stop, riding the scooter, etc.
VFW

United States

#10 Apr 11, 2008
Bear Creek Man wrote:
Still gas prices on average are cheaper in Hawaii than California. Go figure since California has a set of refineries, one would expect gas prices to be cheaper. Nope, its called record profits for gas companies.
No. It's because of all the extra enviro restrictions and taxes in California.

All those "props" and "measures" of the past have accumulated to this result. So we ante up and pay for it.

Since: Nov 07

Anchorage, AK

#11 Apr 11, 2008
Just filled up my SUV at Tesoro...$3.94 per gallon. As long as the price of dog food remains stable, I guess my sled dogs will be my most economical choice of transportation. I get about 60 miles to the gallon (of dog chow), depending on the temperature.

FYI, the same Tesoro refinery that supplies the majority of Hawaii is only 90 miles north of us... yet we pay more than most Hawaiians... supply and demand they say.
Pupuka

Wailuku, HI

#12 Apr 11, 2008
When fuel is this high we need to encourage job resources close to the needy. It doesn't surprise me that Lingle, Hee, Magoagay, Nakata, and Harbin have opposite views. Development is not good for the poor. It makes it to easy for them.
love waianae

Ewa Beach, HI

#13 Apr 11, 2008
Big Okole wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you want us to invade those countries and take over those oil supplies.
Actually, I was kind of sorry we turned Kuwait over after running iraq off. I saw this coming and they are not our friends.
David Hill

Kamuela, HI

#14 Apr 11, 2008
My mother called me yesterday from New York City area. Gas there is only $3.07 a gallon!
VFW

United States

#15 Apr 11, 2008
Alaska Warrior Fan wrote:
Just filled up my SUV at Tesoro...$3.94 per gallon. As long as the price of dog food remains stable, I guess my sled dogs will be my most economical choice of transportation. I get about 60 miles to the gallon (of dog chow), depending on the temperature.
FYI, the same Tesoro refinery that supplies the majority of Hawaii is only 90 miles north of us... yet we pay more than most Hawaiians... supply and demand they say.
What happens when there's no snow?

BTW, I think Tesoro, along with Chevron, has a refinery in Hawaii, so I doubt if the gas comes from the one in AK.
aintgoinback

Waterbury, CT

#16 Apr 11, 2008
Alaska Warrior Fan wrote:
As long as the price of dog food remains stable, I guess my sled dogs will be my most economical choice of transportation.
Glad you said "transportation." For a moment, I thought you was one rancher!:)

Since: Nov 07

Anchorage, AK

#17 Apr 11, 2008
VFW wrote:
<quoted text>
What happens when there's no snow?
BTW, I think Tesoro, along with Chevron, has a refinery in Hawaii, so I doubt if the gas comes from the one in AK.
Acccording to an excerpt from a 10-K SEC Filing, filed by TESORO PETROLEUM CORP, "The Hawaii Refinery, located at Kapolei in an industrial park 22 miles west of Honolulu, was acquired by the Company in May 1998. The Hawaii Refinery's crude oil supply is sourced primarily from Alaska".

We use wheeled carts instead of sleds when the snow melts.
dee

Kailua, HI

#18 Apr 11, 2008
Same old thing on Maui, the "greedy isle."
VFW

United States

#20 Apr 11, 2008
Alaska Warrior Fan wrote:
We use wheeled carts instead of sleds when the snow melts.
Ha ha! Good one.:-)
pretty wahine

Honolulu, HI

#21 Apr 11, 2008
maui haole wrote:
all I can hope for is beer prices to remain stable!
AMEN TO THAT MY BRADDAH

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hana Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Paying respect and fentanyl Nov 3 three blocks 1
Pukalani Music Selection (Sep '12) Jul '17 Musikologist 14
Kula Music Thread (Dec '14) Apr '17 Musikologist 6
Kihei/Wailea House Rental Sleep 8 // Dec 17- Ja... (Mar '17) Mar '17 sherrykate 1
Old town Paia (Jan '17) Jan '17 Fukmi 1
You took down my post? (Jan '17) Jan '17 Fukme 1
News Hawaiian Islands Weather Details & Aloha Paragr... (Feb '16) Feb '16 ben 1

Hana Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hana Mortgages