Libraries must remain open - Hawaii Editorials

Hawaii's Board of Education is pausing before deciding whether to approve the state librarian's proposal to close five branches, and residents of the affected areas are rightly angry about the plan. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Translator

Honolulu, HI

#21 Jul 20, 2009
Representative Kym Pine wrote:
Thank you Star Bulletin for your supportive editorial to keep our `Ewa Beach Library open. We live in difficult times and it is going to take all of us working together to come up with new ideas to sustain our quality of life. A special thank you goes out to my fellow legislators and `Ewa Beach residents who joined me in attending the `Ewa Beach Public Library Hearing on Thursday and helped us rally our neighbors to came in force to testify.
As a former plantation town, we are a community that is used to getting by with very little. Taking away our library, however, is just unacceptable and contrary to promoting educational excellence, which our community places first above all else.
Here is an excerpt from the Public Hearing on Thursday:
**** fXc4UDaWKS0 < **** fXc4UDaWKS0>
Rep. Pine:
It is refreshing to see an elected public servant weigh in on these boards with sincerity and under his/her real name.

While you strongly support the Ewa Library, please take note that the other libraries targeted for closure are on the outer islands, where such resources are fewer and farther between.

Ultimately, the head of Public Libraries, Richard Burns, should be urged to adopt a different formula for prioritizing closures--one that takes into account rural settings, distances, and proximity.

The proposed closure of Hana library is proof positive that his methodology is flawed.

Finally, thank you for your work in supporting educational innovation.

Aloha,
Translator (A Denizen of these Boards)
Rick - Pearl City

Mililani, HI

#22 Jul 20, 2009
What's the matter with you people? Don't you get it, THE MONEY'S RUNNING LOW! We have to cut somethings somewhere, and now they want to cut hours at even busy libraries to keep these small ones alive, and multiply the number adversely affected? TOO BAD! It's amazing how little people are willinig to face the fact that things are different, and we must make sacrifices that affect the fewest people.(We should close schools, too. The vast majority of Hawaii's citizens have no kids in the system, and many couldn't care less about the school system.)
Love Hawaii

Honolulu, HI

#23 Jul 20, 2009
Love Hawaii wrote:
<quoted text>
If this is really you why did you vote yourself a raise? Don't you think that your comments now are a little hypocritical?
Again I will ask:
If this is really you why did you vote yourself a raise? Don't you think that your comments now are a little hypocritical?

Can't answer? Just posing and getting your name out there that is what I thought.
Love Hawaii

Honolulu, HI

#24 Jul 20, 2009
Thank you Star Bulletin for your supportive editorial to keep our `Ewa Beach Library open. We live in difficult times and it is going to take all of us working together to come up with new ideas to sustain our quality of life. A special thank you goes out to my fellow legislators and `Ewa Beach residents who joined me in attending the `Ewa Beach Public Library Hearing on Thursday and helped us rally our neighbors to came in force to testify.
As a former plantation town, we are a community that is used to getting by with very little. Taking away our library, however, is just unacceptable and contrary to promoting educational excellence, which our community places first above all else.
Here is an excerpt from the Public Hearing on Thursday:
**** fXc4UDaWKS0 < **** fXc4UDaWKS0>
Sorry wrong reply above.
Again I will ask:

Can't answer? Just posing and getting your name out there that is what I thought.
The Cleaner

Lahaina, HI

#25 Jul 20, 2009
Last I checked, the Hilo Library already has shortened hours because they open at 11am daily, and is closed on Mondays. From what I understand, there is a staff shortage there. But this has gone on for at least the last two years. If the other libraries on the Big Island have been doing this, it looks like it's not going to be enough.
Representative Kym Pine

Honolulu, HI

#26 Jul 20, 2009
Aloha "Love Hawaii",
Mahalo for your comments. I voted to allow a non-partisan commission to analyze the pay of numerous government employees. I am one of the few legislators that choose to voluntarily give up my pay. Hopefully the money will go to the library. Sounds like you have other issues to discuss. Please call me anytime at 586, 9730. I am sorry I cannot respond further. I have to take my mother out for her birthday dinner.
-Kym
Love Hawaii

Honolulu, HI

#27 Jul 20, 2009
Aloha "Love Hawaii",
Mahalo for your comments. I voted to allow a non-partisan commission to analyze the pay of numerous government employees. I am one of the few legislators that choose to voluntarily give up my pay. Hopefully the money will go to the library. Sounds like you have other issues to discuss. Please call me anytime at 586, 9730. I am sorry I cannot respond further. I have to take my mother out for her birthday dinner.
-Kym
Thank You for your reply I too am busy right now but I noted the number.

Thank You

Since: Jul 09

Honolulu, HI

#28 Jul 20, 2009
Aloha Translator,

Thank you very much for your positive words. I appreciate the dilemma of the four neighbor island communities that would also lose their library, and that is why I agree with "Kauakea" when they commented we can look to urban Honolulu, where libraries are closer together and not attached to schools, for cutting back (but not closing).

Instead of closing any libraries, I am in favor of looking to temporarily cut hours at our libraries that are closer together, in a way that keeps access open in the best way possible.

-Kym
Translator wrote:
<quoted text>Rep. Pine:
It is refreshing to see an elected public servant weigh in on these boards with sincerity and under his/her real name.
While you strongly support the Ewa Library, please take note that the other libraries targeted for closure are on the outer islands, where such resources are fewer and farther between.
Ultimately, the head of Public Libraries, Richard Burns, should be urged to adopt a different formula for prioritizing closures--one that takes into account rural settings, distances, and proximity.
The proposed closure of Hana library is proof positive that his methodology is flawed.
Finally, thank you for your work in supporting educational innovation.
Aloha,
Translator (A Denizen of these Boards)

Since: Jul 08

PDX/HNL

#29 Jul 21, 2009
Shutting is a bad idea. Cut back on hours first, that way you leave it flexible to expand hours when the economy recovers and grows once again.

Seems obvious.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hana Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
having a child for adoption Mar 1 Anita 1
Tam Ho not guilty in Maui incident - Hawaii News (Oct '09) Feb 20 Frustrated 43
Kula Music Thread Feb 18 Musikologist 2
Pukalani Music Selection (Sep '12) Jan '15 Musikologist 10
Police probing fatal jump (Jul '07) Jan '15 Keoni alfapada 16
Rudeness (Mar '14) Jan '15 SoontoRetire 3
Hawaii homes not among top 10 (Sep '09) Dec '14 Bmused Artwork 4

Flash Flood Watch for Maui County was issued at March 04 at 3:29AM HST

Hana Dating
Find my Match