Libraries must remain open - Hawaii E...

Libraries must remain open - Hawaii Editorials

There are 29 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Jul 20, 2009, titled Libraries must remain open - Hawaii Editorials. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

Hawaii's Board of Education is pausing before deciding whether to approve the state librarian's proposal to close five branches, and residents of the affected areas are rightly angry about the plan.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Plan B

Honolulu, HI

#1 Jul 20, 2009
If a library is closed, its regulars can always go online. There are TONS of books online. Google Books, for example, has tens of thousands of books that have been provided by municipal and university libraries. URL: http://books.google.com
rtkona

Honolulu, HI

#2 Jul 20, 2009
The unions, legislature and Governor --AND EVERYBODY ELSE -- agree that education in this State is very important. Our rural schools have to improve. So in seeking to accomplish this goal the BOE seeks to close a critical resource for these students in Ewa Beach, Hana, Holualoa, Kealakekua, and Pahala. It is moronic, and another pathetic performance by the Board of Anti-Education.
Commuter

Wahiawa, HI

#3 Jul 20, 2009
Lucky you, contrary to your overblown opinions the rest of the world doesn’t revolve around you.

Public computers and hard copy are the norm.
Hellina Handbasket

Ewa Beach, HI

#4 Jul 20, 2009
Raid the Hurricane Fund, Ten Years of Rail To Nowhere and Raise GET is the only "answers" you will hear from our Morons in Government!

Just like Goldman Sachs and other banks getting TARP- and now making BILLIONS in profit- but people are jobless for the next five years???

Shows how our State and Feds are in their own selfish world and don't mind losing lots of libraries or people down the drain- as long as the FAT CATS get their rewards- SCREW the PEOPLE!
wacos202

Kapaa, HI

#5 Jul 20, 2009
This editorial is dumb. Not only are libraries obsolete (why do you think newspapers are moving towards elimination of print editions), but many libraries are underutilized. I bet the author of this editorial has gone to these libraries to see how few people use them.

Since The Honolulu Advertiser is making substantial cuts in service and staffing,why does it take the position that every government service and all personnel must be maintained. Where would you suggest that the governments cut back. Or do you just suggest that we keeping raising taxes. That's what The Honolulu Advertiser did in raising the price from 50 cents to 75 cents, an outrageous increase for a newspaper that provided little in the way of content and provides even less now.
wacos202

Kapaa, HI

#6 Jul 20, 2009
Sorry, my comment should have said "I bet the author of this editorial has NOT gone to these libraries ...."
HAWAII

Kula, HI

#7 Jul 20, 2009
Can someone answer why we are closing libraries instead of state golf courses? Seriously can someone explain this to me? I may be ignorant but I do not understand it.
Westside Wind

Honolulu, HI

#8 Jul 20, 2009
HAWAII wrote:
Can someone answer why we are closing libraries instead of state golf courses? Seriously can someone explain this to me? I may be ignorant but I do not understand it.
My guess is that golf courses are sacred cows, whereby politicians realize the thousands that pay to play, and vote.
Libraries are fully funded and weaker in public support.
Wildman

Honolulu, HI

#9 Jul 20, 2009
In essesence, the State needs to keep the libraries open...reasonable facts conclude, jobs and educational references to all public. The need in demand by the public itself stresses the point of issue...Without the libraries , the public will not able to incorporate their educational awareness...legal aspect, under the laws of Constitution, all citizens are allowed the rights to edcuation..thus, the library is the tool of edcuation,and freedom of Rights...Wildman!
CMK

Honolulu, HI

#10 Jul 20, 2009
wacos202 wrote:
This editorial is dumb. Not only are libraries obsolete (why do you think newspapers are moving towards elimination of print editions), but many libraries are underutilized. I bet the author of this editorial has gone to these libraries to see how few people use them.
Since The Honolulu Advertiser is making substantial cuts in service and staffing,why does it take the position that every government service and all personnel must be maintained. Where would you suggest that the governments cut back. Or do you just suggest that we keeping raising taxes. That's what The Honolulu Advertiser did in raising the price from 50 cents to 75 cents, an outrageous increase for a newspaper that provided little in the way of content and provides even less now.
Libraries may seem obsolete when you live in a more urban area where most families own computers, but for the rural areas, that is not the case. The Library is their only way of getting books or being able to type a paper out. Also, there are many teachers that still require their students to provide at least two print sources when doing reports. Should they have to buy a text book that they will probably need only once? For every report?
Maybe libraries will be obsolete when everyone has a computer with internet service and all books/newspapers/magazines are online, not just a select few.
Alex

Honolulu, HI

#11 Jul 20, 2009
Must be wonderful sitting on the throne of editor in chief making whatever calls without any responsibility or accountability. Easy to do, but hardly courageous nor thoughtful.
Representative Kym Pine

Honolulu, HI

#12 Jul 20, 2009
Thank you Star Bulletin for your supportive editorial to keep our `Ewa Beach Library open. We live in difficult times and it is going to take all of us working together to come up with new ideas to sustain our quality of life. A special thank you goes out to my fellow legislators and `Ewa Beach residents who joined me in attending the `Ewa Beach Public Library Hearing on Thursday and helped us rally our neighbors to came in force to testify.
As a former plantation town, we are a community that is used to getting by with very little. Taking away our library, however, is just unacceptable and contrary to promoting educational excellence, which our community places first above all else.
Here is an excerpt from the Public Hearing on Thursday:
< http://www.youtube.com/watch... ;
Representative Kym Pine

Honolulu, HI

#13 Jul 20, 2009
Repasting link to excerpt from Public Hearing on Thursday:

< http://www.youtube.com/watch... ;
Representative Kym Pine

Honolulu, HI

#14 Jul 20, 2009
Representative Kym Pine

Honolulu, HI

#15 Jul 20, 2009
Representative Kym Pine

Honolulu, HI

#16 Jul 20, 2009
*Remove the space between you tube and paste into browser:

http://www.yo u tube.com/watch...
Cheshire popoki

Gaillac, France

#17 Jul 20, 2009
Check with a word processor first to see if the link works. PDF files (commonly used by public organizations) might not work; you would have to convert it first.

Topix seems to link directly; cutting and pasting into the browser headline allows the safeties to screen the link.

You have an interesting post Rep. Kim Pine.
Love Hawaii

Kula, HI

#18 Jul 20, 2009
Representative Kym Pine wrote:
Thank you Star Bulletin for your supportive editorial to keep our `Ewa Beach Library open. We live in difficult times and it is going to take all of us working together to come up with new ideas to sustain our quality of life. A special thank you goes out to my fellow legislators and `Ewa Beach residents who joined me in attending the `Ewa Beach Public Library Hearing on Thursday and helped us rally our neighbors to came in force to testify.
As a former plantation town, we are a community that is used to getting by with very little. Taking away our library, however, is just unacceptable and contrary to promoting educational excellence, which our community places first above all else.
Here is an excerpt from the Public Hearing on Thursday:
**** fXc4UDaWKS0 < **** fXc4UDaWKS0>
If this is really you why did you vote yourself a raise? Don't you think that your comments now are a little hypocritical?
Don Monson

Brisbane, CA

#19 Jul 20, 2009
WHAT ABOUT HAVING VOLUNTEERS HELP?

RETURNING BOOKS TO THE SHELVES
& CHECKING OUT BOOKS DOES NOT APPEARS TO ME A DIFFICULT JOB FOR ANYONW WHO
WHO HAS USED A PUBLIC LIBARARY IN THE PAST.

MY GUESS IS THAT MANY MOMS WOULD HELP &
RETIRED INDIVIDUALS (LIKE ME) WOULD
LIKE TO HELP OUT IN THIS WAY.

WE JUST CAN KEEP ASKING THE GOVERMENT
TO DO THE JOB & CITIZENS SHOULD GET
INVOLVED...YOU MAY FIND THIS A VERY
REWARDNG EXPERINCE.

THE SAVINGS ON PERSONAL COSTS SHOULD
KEEP THIS LIBARIES OPEN.

D. W. MONSON
PALOLO vly.

Since: Feb 08

Kaneohe, Hawaii

#20 Jul 20, 2009
This is so typical.

When cuts have to be made make a big public deal out of cutting something that people actually need. At the same time, continue with the "nice to have" things such as fixing mosaics (and not for the first time was this recently done).

Following this strategy, the public cries "uncle" and lies down believing that higher taxes are needed to sustain needed services.

If you need to cut, cut a library in the middle of Honolulu. There are several within a couple of miles of each other--and not attached to a school either.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hana Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Pukalani Music Selection (Sep '12) Jul 5 Musikologist 14
Kula Music Thread (Dec '14) Apr '17 Musikologist 6
Kihei/Wailea House Rental Sleep 8 // Dec 17- Ja... Mar '17 sherrykate 1
Old town Paia (Jan '17) Jan '17 Fukmi 1
You took down my post? (Jan '17) Jan '17 Fukme 1
News Hawaiian Islands Weather Details & Aloha Paragr... (Feb '16) Feb '16 ben 1
having a child for adoption (Mar '15) Mar '15 Anita 1

Hana Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance