I remember in Newport News

Since: May 13

Caret, VA

#2453 May 23, 2013
Lazlo Toth wrote:
I will have to ask my mother about the couple selling eggs. There was an apartment above the house but a young couple named Beverly and Randall live there above us. My brother and sister attended NNHS classes of 63-64 I believe. That was the time frame we lived in that house.
just wondering if beverly and randall last name was shook if so i now them and where they live and can call them if you want god bless
Carolyn BELL

Raleigh, NC

#2454 Jun 2, 2013
Hello from a former resident of 27 Buchanan Drive in "Hangover Heights"! While living in your neighborhood, our children's ages were 9, 6, and our youngest was born while we lived there on December 01,1961 I would enjoy hearing from you as many years of my life were spent on the peninsula, mostly Denbigh and I feel we might exchange some information, etc.. Thanks so much for commenting here as this is my very first time to come across this site, and I hope to be here many more times.We now live in NC. Carolyn
Alan wrote:
Anybody live in Denbigh back in the late 50's? Went to Denbigh Elementary in the 6th grade anee Hall Elementary for the 7th grade. They sent us to Warwick Jr High where I played football and letter. Never got my year book so I never got to see my football pictures.
Does anyone have either 1959 or 1960 Warwick Jr High Year Books. I would love to see those pictures.
Oh I live on 22 Buchanan Dr in Hanover Heights just off of Jefferson Blvd.
Alan Siegler

Virginia Beach, VA

#2455 Jun 2, 2013
I lived on 22 Buchanan Drive back in 1958 -60. Went to Denbigh and Lee Hall Ementary School. Also played football at Warwich Jr High in 1959 or 1960 can't remember which year. Never got a year book so I don't know how my football pictures turned out. Anyone else out there who lived in Hanover Heights? Currently living in Va Beah Va.
Carolyn BELL

Raleigh, NC

#2456 Jun 2, 2013
During the brief time we lived at 27 Buchanan Drive, my husband, Eugene or Gene Bell worked as a real estate salesman for Karl Beamer at Colony Realty in Denbigh. Not much longer after, Gene opened his own business, Gene Bell and Co. which was custom built homes. My brother, Fred White also worked at Colony Realty, then went on to REMAX nd is still with them at age 76,there.

I have an excellent picture of his first home, 27 Buchanan Dr, my son took for me in 1990 near his 3oth birthday.

Hoping you obtain a copy of your yearbook.

Carolyn in NC
Carolyn BELL

Raleigh, NC

#2457 Jun 2, 2013
Someone here wrote they were age 10 in 1966 I may be the oldest in age here as I was 38 in 1966! Although I am an elderly 85, many of my memories are vivid of the years I lived in Newport News and Hampton. Here are a few for now: In 1949 at age 21, I moved from Williamsburg to a small apartment on Kecoughtan Road. Our landlord's name was FLINT, either Ollie or Judd as they were brothers and printers like my parents. Across the street from our apt. was BRICKEY Print shop which may have been their shop. However, Mr. Judd FLINT worked at the DAILY PRESS some of the time..... My USNR husband was stationed aboard an aircraft carrier, the USS BENNINGTON, which was in mothballs at the Shipyard, just a short walk from where I worked at The Broadway Dept.Store. I worked in the credit office and the shoe dept. I had been working at Casey's Dept. Store in Wmsbg in Hofheimer's Shoe Dept.(Casey's and The Broadway were both owned by Southern Dry Goods.) I would love to find some photos and information about The Broadway store such as the date the store closed.....I vividly remember Jeannie BOYLSTON who lived across Kecoughtan Rd. from us, and she also worked at The Broadway. Jeannie married a state trooper named Lonnie CRAFT..... Other friends I worked with there were Ann Claville (sp?) Bootsie or Virginia Hancock Shepherd whose husband, Cecil , worked at the DAILY PRESS, and he and his brother, Bill Shepherd, owned the Hygria Skating Rink.....A few other friends I remember working with at The Broadway were Nola Brooks, Theresa or Teresa Pearson, Glen Raines, Shirley Call, Johnny Spivey, Jimmy Mears, and Johnny Moore.... Thanks for your interest.....
Turtle

Newport News, VA

#2458 Jun 5, 2013
Alan wrote:
Anybody live in Denbigh back in the late 50's? Went to Denbigh Elementary in the 6th grade and Lee Hall Elementary for the 7th grade. They sent us to Warwick Jr High where I played football and letter. Never got my year book so I never got to see my football pictures.
Does anyone have either 1959 or 1960 Warwick Jr High Year Books. I would love to see those pictures.
Oh I live on 22 Buchanan Dr in Hanover Heights just off of Jefferson Blvd.
I lived at 7 Buchanan Dr. in Hanover Heights for a couple of years. I have the 1960 Warwick Junior High School yearbook.
Move on

United States

#2459 Jun 5, 2013
Nice memories , but move on
Life's too short to live in the past
Alan Siegler

Virginia Beach, VA

#2460 Jun 6, 2013
Turtle wrote:
<quoted text>
I lived at 7 Buchanan Dr. in Hanover Heights for a couple of years. I have the 1960 Warwick Junior High School yearbook.
Could you check to see if my football picture is in your yearbook.

Thanks
Turtle

Newport News, VA

#2461 Jun 6, 2013
Nope! No football picture. Your student picture is there.
Alan Siegler

Virginia Beach, VA

#2462 Jun 7, 2013
Turtle wrote:
Nope! No football picture. Your student picture is there.
Do you have 1961 year book? If so could you check
Turtle

Newport News, VA

#2463 Jun 7, 2013
No, I only have 1960.
audrey willis taylor

Spring Lake, NC

#2464 Jun 9, 2013
Does anyone that went to Deer Park Elementary 1953-1959 ever contribut to this site?
marilynn

Moravia, NY

#2465 Jul 3, 2013
thanks for the memories wrote:
<quoted text>
I remember poopdeck pappy!!! Do you remember his real name. I know he did other stuff on WAVY after that.
I lived in Va. and I was on Poopdeck Pappy in about 1963
I remember sitting on the bleachers and stompng my feet along with all the other kids in my cheer leading squad. What an old memory!!
ErinNelson

Norfolk, VA

#2466 Jul 6, 2013
I know this is going back a bit but i am trying to find anyone who remembers a drug store on 25th and Chestnut Ave in Newport news called Knight Korner Drug Store. I am guessing it had to be from the 30's. I recently bought a house off of Victoria and my boyfriend is renovating some things. In the wall of the upstairs hall closet he found an old medicine bottle with this label and a bottle from 1931 from the Vick's Company from a product they came out with called Va-Tro-Nol. Always trying to find history on this area. I just think it's really neat to find little pieces of history. I am going to keep it on display here at the house.
mountain girl

Terre Haute, IN

#2467 Jul 15, 2013
Audrey, I went to Deer Park from first grade in 1958 until Christmas of 6th grade in 1963. We moved to Denbigh over Christmas break. Do you remember Marsha and Rosty Baines or Banes? They were my next door neighbors in Swansea Manor. Marsha and Rosty were older than me and had a younger sister Brenda. We all went to Deer Park. They were Army and got sent to Germany and we lost touch.
James George

Ashburn, VA

#2468 Jul 27, 2013
Brooke jones wrote:
Does anyone know where I can find music from The Rocking Cabanas?!?!
<quoted text>
I believe Cal Downing and I attended Huntington HS in the 1950's, and I remember those stores and restaurants as well as Crown Savings Bank, Werblows, Beskin's , and Woodard Drugs on Jefferson Ave.
audrey willis taylor

Angier, NC

#2469 Aug 26, 2013
Mountain Girl, Thank you for taking the time to write back about Deer Park Elementary School. I left in June 1959. Were any of these teachers still there in the years you went? Mrs. Childress, Mrs. Jean Curtis, Mrs. Campbell, Mrs. Simpson or Mrs. Connelly? I have a lot of good memories of Deer Park.
Tina

Davenport, IA

#2470 Sep 8, 2013
Did anybody remember Pearlies or I think it was called Pearls on Jefferson Ave in NewportNews. I grew up in walker villiage I used to go to the boys club all the time, with Debra Ray and Phooh I don't think they know this but they saved alot of kids from getting in trouble including me and I thank them for that. The area has changed so much but... Those were the good old days I will hold the good memories in my heart.

Since: Sep 12

Carrollton, VA

#2471 Sep 17, 2013
Tina wrote:
Did anybody remember Pearlies or I think it was called Pearls on Jefferson Ave in NewportNews. I grew up in walker villiage I used to go to the boys club all the time, with Debra Ray and Phooh I don't think they know this but they saved alot of kids from getting in trouble including me and I thank them for that. The area has changed so much but... Those were the good old days I will hold the good memories in my heart.
Tina, yes Pearlie's is on Jefferson Avenue in the 2100 block. It has been remodeled and is now open again. As for the Boys Club, yes Debra and Pooh touched a lot of children and absolutely saved them for getting into trouble. I grew up in Stuart Gardens and my family had many friends in the area. I'm not sure if you know but Dickerson Court is completely demolished. Everyone of those old brick buildings from 22nd street down to 16th street are gone. Walker Village is still there and has been renamed Newport Harbour Homes. Do you remember Ms. Gloria Smith? What a wonderful person.
NN kid

Middletown, NY

#2472 Sep 18, 2013
audrey willis taylor wrote:
Mountain Girl, Thank you for taking the time to write back about Deer Park Elementary School. I left in June 1959. Were any of these teachers still there in the years you went? Mrs. Childress, Mrs. Jean Curtis, Mrs. Campbell, Mrs. Simpson or Mrs. Connelly? I have a lot of good memories of Deer Park.
Sorry if this is a dupe. My first post didn't show up.

I went to Deer Park first through fifth starting in fall of '59:
first- Mrs. Mullen (left due to pregnancy, finished year out with Mrs. Duberg)
second- Mrs. Woolley (her son Travis was in my class)
third- Mrs. Carter (read Heidi to us IIRC, I liked the idea of a hunk of cheese and bread for lunch)
fourth- Mrs. Childress (so she was still teaching in 62/63)
fifth- Mrs. Walters
Principal was Ailene G. Hobbs during my time there. I was bussed to Yates for 6th and Saunders for 7th.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hampton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min DoesItMatter 1,395,018
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 4 min Brian_G 60,063
News Libraries' free books, computers pull in patron... (Mar '09) 2 hr martin garey 29
News Overton, judge who oversaw Iverson's trial, dies (Jan '08) 6 hr Pchq 37
KKK Meeting in Downtown Hampton on the 9th. (Sep '12) Jun 24 L sangueza 21
News Time magazine names Obama 'Person of the Year';... (Dec '08) Jun 23 Captain Smith 69
I remember in Hampton (Jan '08) Jun 13 SAB III 808
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hampton Mortgages