Lockdownx99

Crestview, FL

#2433 Sep 9, 2012
hey drummer, My father Mike dail grew up in buckroe beach. he played drums for alot of different bands in the 70's and 80's. most notably Lynx, Boot Hill Express, Rhythym Kings, and quite a few others. ever heard of any of them? He also played with rick stanley.
email me at lockdownx99@yahoo.com
Trent Sturgis

Newport News, VA

#2434 Sep 19, 2012
I just came across this site and wow what a wonderful trip down memory lane. I was wondering if anyone had or knew of anyone that had any old pictures of Shackleford Dodge/Shackleford Auto Co.that was in the 300 block of 25th Street in downtown NN. I would really appreciate any comments or help. My Grandfather worked there for 47 years and over time the photos may family had have been lost or destroyed. Thanks, Trent
larry shannon

Gainesville, TX

#2435 Sep 19, 2012
DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE SUPER LOU IS> I workeed with him at WKLX in 1971. Larry Shannon
Dale Parsons wrote:
Wasn't it WVEC-Channel 13 that began the news with "It's 11:00, do you know where your children are?"
A lot of the old TV and radio personalities have been mentioned, but how about:
LaVerne Watson at WTAR-TV - At one time he was also "Cousin Tibble."
Andy Roberts was the WTAR-TV weatherman for years, but in the early-1950's he was a singer on the NBC late night program "Broadway Open House', which was the forerunner to the "Tonight Show."
Stan Garfin was the WTAR-TV and Radio sportscaster from the 1960's into the 1980's.
Lloyd Dobyns was the co-anchor with Vern Jones on WAVY-TV in the 1960's. Lloyd moved on to NBC in New York.
Becky Livas, who replaced Mildred Alexander at WTAR-TV.
Harry Doggette was the anchorman at WVEC-TV in the 1960's.
Betty Ann Bowser was a co-anchor at WTAR-TV in the 1960's and then moved on to CBS and PBS.
Willard Scott was a disc jockey on the old WAVY radio in the 1950's.
Does anyone remember Super Lou? He was on WKLX Radio.
Two of my favorites in the 1960's were The Hot Dog (I think he was on WHIH) and Daddy Jack Holmes on WRAP.
And of course, everyone on WGH in the 1960's, George Crawford, Bob Calvert, Gene Loving, Dick Lamb, Roger Clark, John Garry, Larry O'Brien, Tom Scott, etc.
larry shannon

Gainesville, TX

#2436 Sep 19, 2012
Anyone know where Super Lou is, I wokred with him at WKLX in 1971.
Mary Ann

Chesapeake, VA

#2437 Sep 20, 2012
My mother owned Ringlett Beauty Shop over top of Hoffiemers Shoes on Washington Ave and Port Author's was downtown Newport News on Washington Ace
audrey willis taylor

Spring Lake, NC

#2438 Sep 21, 2012
Did anyone go to Deer Park Elementary School from
1953-1959? Was anyone in Mrs. Jean Curtis' 5th grade class 1957-58 or Mrs. Campbell's 6th grade 1958-59? Does anyone remember Nancy Sprinkle, Frances Herring or Linda Emerson from Deer Park?
JennyD

Richmond, VA

#2439 Sep 27, 2012
Springsteen Forever wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't remember who else was with Blackfoot either, but I went to that show. I also saw Black Oak Arkansas. Speaking of Blackfoot, don't know if ya'll are Trace Atkins fans but he often does Blackfoot music at his shows - really good! Do you remember the concert in Richmond probably around 1974 where there was a riot? I remember Steve Miller and Dr. John were there. Can't remember the other bands. Rioters were overturning police cars - it was kind of scary/exciting!
Holy cow, I was THERE at that Richmond concert and yes, it was 1974 and was billed "The First Annual Spring...something or other". I was sitting in those stands and listening to whatever band was playing and the uh, "smoke" was sort of billowing up from a lot of sections. All of a sudden we saw 2 plain clothes cops (in suits no less) start down the steps and one of them pulled out a gun. You can imagine what that caused. RIOT. People started running and screaming. Yes, cars were overturned and jumped on and set on fire. I was hiding under a food cart until I could find an opening to run for my life. All of a sudden, police on horses showed up and one of them yelled to me. It was my ex brother in law. He said to get out quick as the dogs were going to be let loose. I was never so scared in my life. I made it out just in time and the next day, it was all over the front page of the Times Dispatch...and it also said that function would never be held again.
On a separate note, do you remember Tary's Drive-In? My dad, who was a lawyer here in Richmond, and another lawyer in Newport News, Herbert George, were the owners of that. Man, that was just the best food. And wasn't there something like a "bounce town" next to it? The trampolines in the ground? Seems that's where I split my what we called back then, clamdigger pants, haha. I still remember Mr George's kids, Denny and Dara, but have no idea whatever happened to them. My father got out of that business and I believe it stayed with Mr George. Wow, what memories all this brought back.
Old Wrestler

United States

#2440 Sep 28, 2012
JennyD wrote:
<quoted text>
On a separate note, do you remember Tary's Drive-In? My dad, who was a lawyer here in Richmond, and another lawyer in Newport News, Herbert George, were the owners of that. Man, that was just the best food. And wasn't there something like a "bounce town" next to it? The trampolines in the ground? Seems that's where I split my what we called back then, clamdigger pants, haha. I still remember Mr George's kids, Denny and Dara, but have no idea whatever happened to them. My father got out of that business and I believe it stayed with Mr George. Wow, what memories all this brought back.
Jenny, I lived about a 1/2 mile from Tary's Drive-In. I went to the Beaconsdale pool, a couple of blocks away. The "bounce town" you mentioned was called "Jumping Jacks". It closed because of insurance liability issues. It was rumored that some kid broke his neck there.
Regarding the Richmomd Concert Riot, I didn't attend, but remember it well. It even made Rolling Stone magazine. If you search back
through this topic, someone else who was at that concert posted a link to articles in the Richmond newpaper about it.
JennyD

Richmond, VA

#2441 Oct 2, 2012
Old Wrestler wrote:
<quoted text>
Jenny, I lived about a 1/2 mile from Tary's Drive-In. I went to the Beaconsdale pool, a couple of blocks away. The "bounce town" you mentioned was called "Jumping Jacks". It closed because of insurance liability issues. It was rumored that some kid broke his neck there.
Regarding the Richmomd Concert Riot, I didn't attend, but remember it well. It even made Rolling Stone magazine. If you search back
through this topic, someone else who was at that concert posted a link to articles in the Richmond newpaper about it.
Wow, I never expected anyone to reply to my old memories, but Old Wrestler, I send you a million thanks. I'd even send you a Tary's milkshake if I could. Those were just so, so good.
I had no idea that Rolling Stone picked up on that Richmond Concert. I'm going to do some internet digging and see if I can find old reports. Fascinating times. I'm going to see if I can find the posting on here about it, too, although that might be hard considering the number of posts. Worth the hunt, though.
Thanks so much again, Old Wrestler, and who's to say, we might have even crossed paths back then. You know that old saying about 6 degrees of separation ;)
Brooke jones

Washington, DC

#2442 Nov 19, 2012
Does anyone know where I can find music from The Rocking Cabanas?!?!
Cal Downing wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you remember the Dixie theater on Jefferson around 22nd or 23 rd St? Or how about the Atlantic or Atlanta (?)Grill on 25th & Jefferson. You could enter on Jefferson or 25th ST (on the inside it kind of wrapped around the Jewelry store that was right on the corner). Served chili dogs inside 2 slices of white bread - delicious. And for short while we had a movie theater in East-end - the Carver on Chestnut between 31st and 32nd. Smith's pharmacy had ice cream sodas and sundies but before that Tucker and Jones Drug Store (30th and Chestnut) was the first to put in a soda fountain. All good memories.
Brooke jones

Washington, DC

#2443 Nov 19, 2012
Hey. Does anyone know where I can find music from The Rocking Cabanas??? Please email me at bjone051@odu.edu with any info you have. Thank you
D Up

Virginia Beach, VA

#2444 Nov 20, 2012
In the good old days when you went to East End you got your ass kicked, not shot. Those were the days.
KTdid

Lititz, PA

#2445 Dec 30, 2012
Oh, my gosh---just discovered this site and I've been reading for an hour now! Talk about a trip down memory lane! I've loved reading about old downtown Newport News, all the stores, buinesses, roads, etc. I was in 10th grade Spanish class at Ferguson HS (teacher Mr. Cox) when Mr. Byrd, my English teacher, burst in the room and said, "The president's been shot! I'm not kidding, the president's been shot!"
KTdid

Lititz, PA

#2446 Dec 30, 2012
dhs73 wrote:
Wow just found this forum. Brings back awesome memories. Anyone remember Mr. Briggs store up in denbigh? I really miss Betty Paige Shop and La Vogue.
I found this site because I googled "Briggs Store"! I do remember it, and there was another one up the road "Cosners Store". I remember shopping at the Betty Paige Shop and La Vogue, too.
KTdid

Lititz, PA

#2447 Dec 30, 2012
b powers wrote:
I REMEMBER REDS PIER VERY WELL. SAW MY FIRST AMPHIBOUS CAR THERE IN THE LATE 60'S. THE GUY DROVE IT OFF THE ROAD AND INTO THE RIVER WITHOUT EVEN SLOWING DOWN!!WOW!!!
Wow. This was big news at the time--an amphibious car!(It was supposed to be the car of the future, wasn't it?) I remember going to see this demonstration, too!
betty Jean Burke

Las Vegas, NV

#2448 Jan 12, 2013
Justme wrote:
Does anyone remember Amos Gates?
If you remember Amos, then surely you remember Footes and Indian Joe.
Oh yes, I remember Amos Gates. I'm 77years old now. I knew him when I was in my 20's He use to sell me white lightening. Is this the same Amos Gates ?
Tony Vu

Birmingham, AL

#2449 Jan 17, 2013
We lived in Capron, VA. Had three channels that came in. Two of them snowed. Seeing Joe give that salute was cool to me. Vuuuuuuu.
james ponton -jimbo

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#2450 Feb 2, 2013
Warwick County Native wrote:
<quoted text>OH MAN; WHAT A DEAL,I REMEMBER THAT WELL AND THE HEARSE,THAT WAS THE PLACE TO HANG FOR A LONG TIME.SO DID YOU ALSO GO TO PONTONS PIT?SANY BOTTOM? AND THERE WAS A PIT ON RICHNECK RD NEAR THE R,R, TRACKS CANOT REMEMBER THE NAME OF IT .BUT USED TO GO SKINNY DIPPING THERE AND PARTY TOO !!
HEY
Pontons pit was named after my grandfather A J PONTON JR. He had about 20 dumptrucks at one time .My Dad had to work for him in the summer changing tires .after that he decided to go to college.lol\
Alot of people partied there I am a graduate of Menchville 1982 1981
something like that
big va

Roanoke, VA

#2451 Mar 14, 2013
badnewz wrote:
does anyone remember lawrence clark or kevin swilling
yea we remeber them they ten years apart an was killed by the same
Black widow swill couldnt hold clarks jock strap

Since: May 13

Colonial Beach, VA

#2452 May 23, 2013
Lazlo Toth wrote:
Here is an all of a sudden memory. Rock-Ola Grille on Jefferson Avenue in Newport News closed this week. Anybody remember Der Weinerschnitzel?
sorry but you posted omethig aut a beverly and rayndall and was wondring if there last name was shookin deep creek if i was i nw them and where they live and i canconcatt them god bless

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hampton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min Portlandia 1,155,597
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 10 min OzRitz 49,310
Review: Dominion Dentistry - Richard S Sweeney DDS (Feb '11) 5 hr Cathy Doherty 4
McAuliffe wants to ban gifts and trips for lawm... (Mar '09) Wed Swedenforever 19
Does anybody know who Joe Vera who worked at gr... Tue just wondering Wa... 1
Former Poquoson Officer Will Not Get His Job Back (Sep '12) Dec 22 Jpow 11
Is Illinois couple's murder tied to bankruptcy ... (Oct '08) Dec 20 hounddogsniffin 4
Hampton Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Hampton People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Hampton News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Hampton

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 12:11 pm PST