I remember in Newport News
turtle

Newport News, VA

#2393 Oct 12, 2011
Pamela wrote:
Does anyone remember Ferguson Park & Red's Pier?
I remember Ferguson Park, I lived there from 1946-1963. I worked for Red at the pier. I went to visit Red at Riverside Hospital the night he died in 1971 and went to his funeral.
b powers

Graham, NC

#2394 Oct 31, 2011
I REMEMBER REDS PIER VERY WELL. SAW MY FIRST AMPHIBOUS CAR THERE IN THE LATE 60'S. THE GUY DROVE IT OFF THE ROAD AND INTO THE RIVER WITHOUT EVEN SLOWING DOWN!!WOW!!!
maggie kazel

Black River Falls, WI

#2395 Nov 8, 2011
Hello - I met a woman named Jackie Ball, from Newport News or somewhere near there - I think she would be in her mid-fifties? Is this the same Jackie that you mention here I wonder - if you know any way to reach someone who knows her - please let me know [email protected] Thank you so much.
waterman wife wrote:
< haven't seen Laurie in a long time. It has probably been since the 80's at Lou Smith. She and Fran Stewart were in there with Diane Slye trying to get people on a list of people going to the reunion. You might try classmates.com . to see if she is there. I said in my post that Jackie Ball was still around but have since found out that she too has died. Also John Kidd (Stinky) too.
Cindy Williams

Suffolk, VA

#2396 Nov 8, 2011
maggie kazel wrote:
Hello - I met a woman named Jackie Ball, from Newport News or somewhere near there - I think she would be in her mid-fifties? Is this the same Jackie that you mention here I wonder - if you know any way to reach someone who knows her - please let me know [email protected] Thank you so much. <quoted text>
Jackie died a few years ago.
Maggie Kazel

Eau Claire, WI

#2397 Nov 9, 2011
Cindy Williams wrote:
<quoted text>
Jackie died a few years ago.
Hi - Thank you - could you tell me about how old she was, and was she a teacher or a coach? I'm trying to find out if it's the same woman I met years ago - we drove from Virginia to Indiana for a music festival, and then we kept up for awhile and then over time we lost touch - she drove a little Toyota type truck if I recall correctly. She was not very tall, and just a delight - she came to see me the following summer in Minnesota. Does this sound at all familiar to you? Is there anyone I could contact - a relative or friend that may be able to help me more? I had something to pass along from back then and I've been trying to find her this past year. Thank you for any and all help, I really appreciate it.
john seymour

Smithfield, VA

#2398 Dec 5, 2011
Anyone remember the dances at newmarket south? I had a ball there,dancing with Mary Mcguire. Cops caught me peeing behind JC Penney.
Cindy Williams

Suffolk, VA

#2399 Dec 5, 2011
Maggie, I'm not sure my posts are showing up since I'm on a different computer, but you can e-mail me if you want, [email protected]
Maggie Kazel wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi - Thank you - could you tell me about how old she was, and was she a teacher or a coach? I'm trying to find out if it's the same woman I met years ago - we drove from Virginia to Indiana for a music festival, and then we kept up for awhile and then over time we lost touch - she drove a little Toyota type truck if I recall correctly. She was not very tall, and just a delight - she came to see me the following summer in Minnesota. Does this sound at all familiar to you? Is there anyone I could contact - a relative or friend that may be able to help me more? I had something to pass along from back then and I've been trying to find her this past year. Thank you for any and all help, I really appreciate it.
lauren roaseau

Chesapeake, VA

#2400 Jan 8, 2012
my grandfather owned roaseaus bakery in pheobus
Cindy Williams

Suffolk, VA

#2401 Jan 8, 2012
Maggie, she was born in I think April of 1955, if that matches up. She was very athletic. Not sure what she drove, we weren't close. She was blonde and tan when I last saw her, and probably 5'3" at most.
Hope this helps.
Maggie Kazel wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi - Thank you - could you tell me about how old she was, and was she a teacher or a coach? I'm trying to find out if it's the same woman I met years ago - we drove from Virginia to Indiana for a music festival, and then we kept up for awhile and then over time we lost touch - she drove a little Toyota type truck if I recall correctly. She was not very tall, and just a delight - she came to see me the following summer in Minnesota. Does this sound at all familiar to you? Is there anyone I could contact - a relative or friend that may be able to help me more? I had something to pass along from back then and I've been trying to find her this past year. Thank you for any and all help, I really appreciate it.
becky short

Dayton, OH

#2402 Jan 13, 2012
i remember seeing Molly Hatchet, Blackfoot and two other groups at a day-long outdoor concert in Portsmouth Virginia in 1980. I got fired from my evening job at Yorktown Naval Weapons Station NCO club because I called in sick that day and people seen me at the concert and ratted me out. it was worth losing the job over. Awesome concert. was anyone else out there at that concert? who were the other bands? thanks
Old Wrestler

Upperville, VA

#2403 Jan 16, 2012
becky short wrote:
i remember seeing Molly Hatchet, Blackfoot and two other groups at a day-long outdoor concert in Portsmouth Virginia in 1980. I got fired from my evening job at Yorktown Naval Weapons Station NCO club because I called in sick that day and people seen me at the concert and ratted me out. it was worth losing the job over. Awesome concert. was anyone else out there at that concert? who were the other bands? thanks
I was at that concert and remember the performances by Blackfoot & Molly Hatchet well, but not 100% sure on the other bands. I went to quite a few of those "Main Event" concerts at Porthsmouth. Some of the other opening acts at those shows included: Point Blank, Rossington Collins Band, Danny Joe Brown Band One year the headliner was Marshall Tucker Band. Another year Black Oak Arkansas headlined.
Springsteen Forever

Newport News, VA

#2404 Jan 17, 2012
Old Wrestler wrote:
<quoted text>
I was at that concert and remember the performances by Blackfoot & Molly Hatchet well, but not 100% sure on the other bands. I went to quite a few of those "Main Event" concerts at Porthsmouth. Some of the other opening acts at those shows included: Point Blank, Rossington Collins Band, Danny Joe Brown Band One year the headliner was Marshall Tucker Band. Another year Black Oak Arkansas headlined.
I can't remember who else was with Blackfoot either, but I went to that show. I also saw Black Oak Arkansas. Speaking of Blackfoot, don't know if ya'll are Trace Atkins fans but he often does Blackfoot music at his shows - really good! Do you remember the concert in Richmond probably around 1974 where there was a riot? I remember Steve Miller and Dr. John were there. Can't remember the other bands. Rioters were overturning police cars - it was kind of scary/exciting!
bigbob76

Sealston, VA

#2405 Feb 8, 2012
MvD wrote:
<quoted text>I think I know you as I used to hang with Paul F. and Jeff and Bobby. I did not know about Thad and I also heard recently that Jeff Steele passed away. Don't know if you are receiving alerts on this thread but I thought I would give it a try anyhow as it has been a long time since you posted.
I remember Tim Knight..he was a couple years ahead of me at FHS.. He used to always bring me candy after lunch.. hahha.. I *think* he's still around this area.. but I wont swear to it.
Did you also know Thad Hawthorne? He used to hang with Paul Fiscella and Jeff Steel. We all used to hang out at the foozball parlor on Warwick.. Paul and I used to hold a foozball table forever.. now seems like I can barely play. Poor Thad passed away a few years ago. Sadly, seems like alot of Ferguson people have passed, most from cancer.. kinda makes me wonder what was in the water there..
I think I know you as I used to hang with Paul F. and Jeff and Bobby. I did not know about Thad and I also heard recently that Jeff Steele passed away. Don't know if you are receiving alerts on this thread but I thought I would give it a try anyhow as it has been a long time since you posted.
Lil

Berlin, MD

#2406 Feb 14, 2012
Does anyone remember a local band that had a guy called Joe Franklin in it that played the piano? Many, many years ago.
Tom Holbrook -Florida

Lady Lake, FL

#2407 Mar 12, 2012
thanks for the memories wrote:
Anyone remember the Fass Brothers fish house at Sinclair circle? You could get the flounder meal "all you could eat" for 1.65 a person. Best hush puppies and cole slaw in town.


Yes, I was one of the original management who opened that restaurant and 25 more in the next 2 1/2 years. Throughout Virginia, North Carolina, Tennessee and Wash, DC area. We seated 360 people and were overflowing with hungry seafood lovers. Especially with the all you can eat deals we offered. Great memories.
audrey wIllis taylor

Holly Springs, NC

#2408 Mar 24, 2012
I was born in NN in 947 and moved to N.C. in July of 1959 because my parents were from there. I lived on Maury Ave. off of Jefferson Ave in old Beaconsdale. I attended Deer Park Elem school and would have gone to Warwick HS. I remember going to see the movie,"A Man Called Peter", at the Anchor drive-in theater on Jefferson Ave in l955.
There was a school down from Roses and the Village
theater in Hilton Village that held dances on Friday nights in the summer. They played all the
top records from the 1950's. I loved Nachman's in downton NN where I could get the Ginny doll and her clothes. The old James River Bridge, Leggetts, New Market Shopping Center, Mariners Museum, Morrison Methodist church, the Ford car dealership on the corner of Jefferson Ave and Harpersville Rd that sold the Edsel car when it was out. I could go on forever. I misss NN very much.
Frank

Raleigh, NC

#2409 Mar 26, 2012
I remember Buckroe Amusment park in the summer.On any given Friday my dad would take us out to eat to places like Bills BBQ,Shoney's,Butlers in Pheobus,The Anchor Drive-in.My parents use to shop at the Giant Open Air market in the Mecury Mall,King's Department store on Jefferson ave.I do remember Fass Brothers, and Carroll's Burgers,and Burger Chef.All of these places are gone now some of the place you would never even know that they were even there.I'm glad I found this spot to see so many people that have wonderful memory's. it was great reading so many post.
Troop

Richmond, VA

#2410 Mar 27, 2012
I remember .89 cents a gallon of regular gas. That's the cheapest I recall. It stayed like that forever seems like.
Chewy

Newport News, VA

#2411 Mar 30, 2012
I remeber walking to Sedgefield Elem. from my home on Beach Drive ( before busing me downtown) and Saying hello to Mr. Grey at Greys Texico. They still filled your tank and washed your windows. Always smiled and air for your tires was free. They used to give away kite kits and other cool toys. Next door was the Sinclare station with the big green dino painted on the concrete.
I remember Warwick farmer football games. My father would park in Hidenwood shopping center and we would walk accross the field to the New Todd stadium and after the game stop at Highs Ice cream. Good times. Tarys Drive in was the coolest looking place around. I am currently creating prints and T shirt designs with old photos from some area spots. Buckroe Amusement Park also.
David

Chesapeake, VA

#2412 May 14, 2012
TYPHOON 1964 wrote:
And who could forget Jeff Dane (Tackle Box) and Mildred Alexander with her afternoon self-named show?
<quoted text>
My mom was on the Mildred Alexander show.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hampton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Grey Ghost 1,421,397
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 22 min Into The Night 61,106
News legaciesThe Hidden Black Women Who Helped Win t... 1 hr Oh No You Di-nt 1
Why do blacks get everything free? (Dec '12) 4 hr Ayers 114
I remember in Hampton (Jan '08) 4 hr Ayers 815
african arrival day 4 hr Ayers 2
News Belmont: The Bronx 's true Little Italy - (Aug '07) Aug 27 I dont know 104

Hampton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hampton Mortgages