I remember in Newport News
Marty

Bainbridge Island, WA

#2373 Jul 27, 2011
Newport News was by far my favorite stop on the many I experienced while growing up as a Navy brat. I lived there from '71, til '73 and went to Hidenwood Elementary, and haven't seen or heard from fellow classmates and neighborhood friends since I left to live overseas, and to this day still think fondly of them, and miss them.
What I remember most was hanging around the railroad tracks, the Glendale pool, and going to the 7-11, and Carrols Hamburgers.
I can't express how thankful I am for all the postings I have read on this thread, which goes back 4 years.
Kimmelbee

Virginia Beach, VA

#2374 Aug 3, 2011
Anyone remember a Fass Brother's Fish House on Warwick Boulevard? I think it was near Stoneybrook.
Tanya Cornelius Arney

Norfolk, VA

#2375 Aug 3, 2011
Born on Ft Monroe wrote:
I've seen many mentions of the old Crum's bakery in Newmarket, but being from Hampton I always went to Rosalea's Bakery in Phoebus. Fresh baked bread all the time, and cupcakes to die for! YUM! Anyone else remember?
My father owned Rosseau's Bakery at 135 East Mellon Street. I grew up there!
Steve FHS 72

Clover, SC

#2376 Aug 3, 2011
Hi Kimmelbee,

My wife and I were remembering Fass Brothers' Stoneybrook location just yesterday. We were enjoying an all-you-can-eat snow crab feast with friends at the Mayflower in Concord NC. I mentioned that the first time we saw Snow Crab legs was at that Fass Bros. We had been enjoying the fried flounder (and fries and hush puppies) when we noticed a great feast taking place at another table. The full plates of shells coming back amazed us. This was about 1975. It was years later at Captain Georges' buffet that I finally tried snow crab legs, and the rest is culinary history. Curiously, one of our friends sharing dinner with us, an NC native, spent a few of her high-school years in Tidewater and fondly remembered Fass Bros. too!

But oh how I did love Fass brothers. There's no telling how many servings of fried flounder I devoured throughout the 70's and 80's. Not to mention all those bowls divine hush puppies hot out of the frier. My arteries are hardening just thinking about them, but I'm also salivating like one of Pavlov's dogs hearing the beginning of Pink Floyd's "Time".(Is that simile a bit of a stretch?) ;-)

I think Fass Bros. started out in Phoebus next to the docks (though I never visited that location). Stoneybrook was my haunt, but their later location at Sinclair Circle was good too. By the mid-80's or so, they were gone. Wha-happened?(Sniff, sniff.)
olenyrose

Houston, TX

#2377 Aug 8, 2011
Thank you! I lost my way back to this site, so just saw your post. I will give Jimbo a holler.
Thanks again. It was very kind of you to take time to answer.
Old Wrestler wrote:
<quoted text>
olenyrose, I never met Frank Stafford, but knew who he was. I played for a year or so in the Jimbo Manion Band (Group Therapy). Jimbo should be able to answer any questions regarding Frank's passing (if he's willing).Jimbo has a facebook page. I recommend trying to contact him there. Hope this helps.
Alan

Virginia Beach, VA

#2378 Aug 8, 2011
Anybody live in Denbigh back in the late 50's? Went to Denbigh Elementary in the 6th grade and Lee Hall Elementary for the 7th grade. They sent us to Warwick Jr High where I played football and letter. Never got my year book so I never got to see my football pictures.

Does anyone have either 1959 or 1960 Warwick Jr High Year Books. I would love to see those pictures.

Oh I live on 22 Buchanan Dr in Hanover Heights just off of Jefferson Blvd.
bryan

El Paso, TX

#2379 Aug 8, 2011
Wow, just ran accross this post about the old stores in NN and Hampton.
Remember Nachman's, Masons, GEX:) There was Food Fair there I think and on the same block the Riverside theaters and Post office.
Oh yes, Carrols Burgers with that classic shape.:)
This is a reply to an old postig but hope it makes it on.
bryan

El Paso, TX

#2380 Aug 8, 2011
806 Temple Lane wrote:
G-E-X, Masons, Kings, J.M. Fields, Millers, Murphy Mart, Korvettes, Giant Open Air, Ames
Remember in the Giant open air market they had this mechanical chicken that would lay an egg onto a rail and it would roll down a winding and go into a basket I think!! A&p next to the Murphy's. I still have a vintage slide from the late 50's of newmarket square with the neon ball.
Marshall Myers

Glen Allen, VA

#2381 Aug 9, 2011
waterman wife wrote:
<quoted text>There was another Burger Chef beside Rocky Mountain Barbeque in Newport News off of Jefferson Avenue. I believe it is where Parker Piano is now.
DOES ANYONE REMEMBER Gibson's Supermarket at the corner of 48th and Huntington Ave. I went to Jackson Elementary back in the period of 65-72. Also went to Palmer Elementary up on Oyster Point Rd. when they first opened it. I used to live on 48th street at 227 and 325. I also remember the Reagan family lived on Huntington ave. Does anyone remember Mr. Gibbs and Ms. Davis. When I was in school my nickname was PROFESSOR.. If anyone remembers me.. contact me at [email protected] and lets go back down memory lane.
bossmanbo

United States

#2382 Aug 11, 2011
Kimmelbee wrote:
Anyone remember a Fass Brother's Fish House on Warwick Boulevard? I think it was near Stoneybrook.
There was one near Stoneybrook, but the on I remember most was in Hampton on Mercury Blvd.That`s back when they had all you can eat fish and everything came out in big bowls that you would share with everyone at your table. Early 70`s
Cindy Williams

Chesapeake, VA

#2383 Aug 12, 2011
Marshall Myers wrote:
<quoted text> DOES ANYONE REMEMBER Gibson's Supermarket at the corner of 48th and Huntington Ave. I went to Jackson Elementary back in the period of 65-72. If anyone remembers me.. contact me at [email protected] and lets go back down memory lane.
I'm not sure I remember you, but I went to Jackson too! Just for first grade, 1965-66. Did you have Ms. Cofer for first grade? I've been hoping to connect with some people from my first-grade year. We went to school at the church next door for the first half of the year while a new wing was being built.

Since: Jun 08

Mt. Pleasant, NC

#2384 Aug 15, 2011
Alan wrote:
[I went] to Warwick Jr High where I played football and letter. Never got my year book so I never got to see my football pictures.
Does anyone have either 1959 or 1960 Warwick Jr High Year Books. I would love to see those pictures...
Drop by the Newport News library on Main street the next time you're on the peninsula. They have lots of old school annuals. Take your digital camera and you can shoot close-up photos of the pages you want.(Practice a little first so you'll know how to get good shots,)
dougl

Fredericksburg, VA

#2385 Aug 17, 2011
Geno wrote:
Remember the Hess gas station on Warwick Blvd near what is now bland that later went to sell if im not misstaken the first Gasohol THAT STUFF STUNK and would make a car drunk (not run well) pops used to cuss that stuff the Eastwood 7-11 was a short walk from home Sam and Harry from dunkin donuts I can remember getting run out of sherwood mall for riding my bike thru and jumping in to the fountains inside mostly I could remember leaving your car, house unlocked when you went away for a couple hours even overnight but those were the good old days least I forgot the flooding on warwick and eastwood and the god awfull smell from the pump station on warwick between open house diner and dunkin donuts we kids all thought it was the open house serving stinky food eeewww lol I could go on and on but im gonna leave some for others Merry Christmas all and Happy New Year
Yes I remeber the Hess station I made my dad go there and by me one the firetrucks, they sold near Christmas time. The light would actually light up on it, which was one of the first toys that had functioning ligts.
Alan

Virginia Beach, VA

#2386 Aug 18, 2011
Steve FHS 72 wrote:
<quoted text>
Drop by the Newport News library on Main street the next time you're on the peninsula. They have lots of old school annuals. Take your digital camera and you can shoot close-up photos of the pages you want.(Practice a little first so you'll know how to get good shots,)
Thanks for info. I will put that on my List of things to do. Thanks again
Frank Brown

Grinnell, IA

#2387 Aug 22, 2011
Interesting that no one mentions Whataburger on Jefferson Ave. It has been there 50 or 60 years. As for night safety, I worked at Peoples Drugs downtown and walked home to Hampton through a pretty tough neighborhood in the 50s.
806 Temple Lane

United States

#2388 Sep 4, 2011
Skateland, Giant Burger, The Lighthouse, Reds Pier, Ferguson Park, Briarfield Manor, Warwick Gardens, Blue Lite, Newport News High Typhoons, The three traffic circles on Mercury Blvd.
dougl

Fredericksburg, VA

#2389 Sep 17, 2011
Does anybody remember the Plaza Burger next to the Colony Point Apartments? How about Butler's TV repair?
FergieKid

Hampton, VA

#2390 Sep 20, 2011
Did anyone live in Ferguson Park between 1955 & 1963? It was a great place to grow up. We had it all. Lots of kids to play with, Huntington Park & Red's Pier for hot summer days. Played in the gully that has now been filled in with dirt to make the parking lot for the beach. I lived on Randolph Road & then we were told we had to move on the north side of "Bridge Rd" for some reason. I spent my high school years living on Hornet Circle (58-63). My apartment was directly across the pond from Red's Pier, so we heard rock & roll music all day long. Climbed on the cliffs in Huntington Park everyday in the summber & at night, played roller ball in the field behind my apartment. Still hang out with my best friend from Ferguson Park after 60 years. God Bless NN.
Cal Downing

Grain Valley, MO

#2391 Oct 2, 2011
blazeofglory wrote:
I remember when Newport News changed streets to ONE-WAY! I remember the Jefferson Theater, Moten Theater, Cosmos Grill, Webbs Grill, The Corner Pharmacy, Eddie's Hot-Dog Stand in the 500 Block of 25th. Street, the first MacDonald's with 15 cent burgers and 10 cent fries, the Hot Shoppes, the CRT running until midnight from Hampton to Newport News, the Hampton Roads Boys Club on Hampton Avenue, Smith's Pharmacy on Chestnut Avenue with the best ice cream sodas and sundaes, lawn parties, the Rocking Cabanas, the Sports Arena etc. Now that is called remembering stuff! I could go on but the Super Bowl is on.
Do you remember the Dixie theater on Jefferson around 22nd or 23 rd St? Or how about the Atlantic or Atlanta (?)Grill on 25th & Jefferson. You could enter on Jefferson or 25th ST (on the inside it kind of wrapped around the Jewelry store that was right on the corner). Served chili dogs inside 2 slices of white bread - delicious. And for short while we had a movie theater in East-end - the Carver on Chestnut between 31st and 32nd. Smith's pharmacy had ice cream sodas and sundies but before that Tucker and Jones Drug Store (30th and Chestnut) was the first to put in a soda fountain. All good memories.
Pamela

Hampton, VA

#2392 Oct 10, 2011
Does anyone remember Ferguson Park & Red's Pier?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hampton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Megan 1,417,921
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr Posterior Plonker... 61,020
Review: iLoveKickboxing- Newport News Tue Jawanda 9
Review: DRS Fantom Works (Jul '13) Tue s8demon 76
Why do blacks get everything free? (Dec '12) Aug 22 Shut up 113
african arrival day Aug 19 alkazar 1
News Girl pulled from Great Wolf Lodge pool dies (Jun '07) Aug 14 K Ryuzaki 63

Hampton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hampton Mortgages