I remember in Newport News
Anonymous

Binghamton, NY

#2353 Mar 19, 2011
I don't know if you will get this, but thought i would give it a try. Referring to the old thread about Jaxx and the Senator and all..just wondered if you knew Frank Stafford, aka Frank Alt.
I have been trying to find out any info about his passing 5 yrs ago. Hope this is not a bother. Thanks for reading :)
Gene

Newport News, VA

#2354 Mar 19, 2011
here goes skipping school at newmarket north mall and skipping down at menchville marina in the 80's enough said not wanting to get in trouble with pops
LaQueefa

United States

#2355 Mar 20, 2011
Me an all 6 ov my babydaddys be from Bad Newz. Represent
Old Wrestler

United States

#2356 Mar 20, 2011
olenyrose wrote:
I don't know if you will get this, but thought i would give it a try. Referring to the old thread about Jaxx and the Senator and all..just wondered if you knew Frank Stafford, aka Frank Alt.
I have been trying to find out any info about his passing 5 yrs ago. Hope this is not a bother. Thanks for reading :)
olenyrose, I never met Frank Stafford, but knew who he was. I played for a year or so in the Jimbo Manion Band (Group Therapy). Jimbo should be able to answer any questions regarding Frank's passing (if he's willing).Jimbo has a facebook page. I recommend trying to contact him there. Hope this helps.

“I HAVE SOME SPLAINING TO DO”

Since: Oct 07

Newport News VA

#2357 Mar 21, 2011
Gene wrote:
here goes skipping school at newmarket north mall and skipping down at menchville marina in the 80's enough said not wanting to get in trouble with pops
OH YEA! How bout swimming over to the marina from Melzers Beach, buying beer swimming back and sitting in the sun. GOSH, life sure was simple them.:-)
Georgie-Porgie

Chiang Mai, Thailand

#2358 Apr 8, 2011
Oh Well wrote:
<quoted text>I went to HS with Paul Fiscella. He and his younger sister are attorneys. His younger brothers own the home building company VEI---with developments all over the area! Saw Glenn Grasso the last time about 14 yrs ago at Deep Creek Marina. Anyone remember Tim Knight? How about Mike Galloway (Frog) who has since passed away.
I went to Hidenwood Elementary with Timothy knight, but do not remember him at Ferguson.
Paul Fiscella was one of the first with long hair and he wore baggy blue jeans every day with a t-shirt - most cool in 8th grade. He had a couple a catch phrases that he used repeatedly, but I can't remember what they were.
Mike Gallaway sounds familiar, but do not think thatI knew him well.

Since: Jun 08

Mt. Pleasant, NC

#2359 Apr 21, 2011
I remember the gas station across from Ferguson (the one that became a foosball parlor and thenSubway Station)as a Sinclair. I remember ol' Dino the Dino on the sign up to the mid 60s. At the corner of Shoe Lane was the Shell station. I remember sitting in Mrs. Crippen's algebra class and staring at the rotating Shell sign for the whole 55 minutes -- it was far more interesting than polynomials and quadratic equations. Yeah, I wound up taking Algebra again in summer school.

And yes, Mrs. Crippen was married to Gil Crippen who won a national teacher of the year award teaching Geography at Menchville High. I delivered the Daily Press to them at their apartment in Dutch Village (Logan Place) around 69-70. I think he retired in 1999.
Vanderline

Hampton, VA

#2360 Apr 26, 2011
I've really enjoyed reading all the posts, but I wish there was some way that people could post old photos they might have of all the places being talked about.
Susa

Greenville, SC

#2361 Apr 29, 2011
Richard Brainbucket wrote:
This thread is hilarious. Just have to make this comment - since when is a washed up old DJ considered a "celebrity"? You must not get around much.
<quoted text>
Hey Brainbucket that's my brother you are referring to and I he is not washed up...jealous!!
Joanne P

Woodbridge, VA

#2362 May 7, 2011
Old Wrestler wrote:
<quoted text>
That Shakey's was a regular hangout for my circle of friends circa 1975.
I went there early 70's, before busing and I went to Warwick high. I was in Chorus and we would go after concerts. I think they were my first pizza's
Joanne P

Woodbridge, VA

#2363 May 7, 2011
watermanswife wrote:
<quoted text>I seems like it was called Bowling lanes and was beside Belo's. Whew! That was a long time ago.
I remember Burger Chef at Harpersville and jefferson, remember the A & P in beaconsdale shopping center. Oh and there was a Highs ice cream there to.
Old Wrestler

United States

#2364 May 9, 2011
Joanne P wrote:
<quoted text>
I remember Burger Chef at Harpersville and jefferson, remember the A & P in beaconsdale shopping center. Oh and there was a Highs ice cream there to.
I believe the burger place at Harpersville & Jefferson was at first, a Carolls and later a Champs burgers. The Burger Chef that I remember was by the Anchor Drive In.

My brothers and I would stop by that Highs when walking home from watching the American Legion baseball games played at Deer Park. I'd eat a whole pint of sherbert by the time I got home.
Richard Brainbucket

United States

#2365 May 11, 2011
Susa wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Brainbucket that's my brother you are referring to and I he is not washed up...jealous!!
Um, I'm not the one building shrines to my glory days, am I? What has he done lately? He doesn't even rate washed up "Dancing with the Stars" or "Celebrity Apprentice" status!
Springsteen Forever

Newport News, VA

#2366 May 11, 2011
Old Wrestler wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe the burger place at Harpersville & Jefferson was at first, a Carolls and later a Champs burgers. The Burger Chef that I remember was by the Anchor Drive In.
My brothers and I would stop by that Highs when walking home from watching the American Legion baseball games played at Deer Park. I'd eat a whole pint of sherbert by the time I got home.
So who can remember the restaurant that was across Jefferson from Carrols? Seems like I remember it looked like an old 2 story house and I think the owners actually lived upstairs. I think I also remember that the husband murdered his wife in the late 70s and that was the end of that restaurant. Does any of this sound familiar?
bossmanbo

United States

#2367 May 11, 2011
Steve FHS 72 wrote:
I remember the gas station across from Ferguson (the one that became a foosball parlor and thenSubway Station)as a Sinclair. I remember ol' Dino the Dino on the sign up to the mid 60s. At the corner of Shoe Lane was the Shell station. I remember sitting in Mrs. Crippen's algebra class and staring at the rotating Shell sign for the whole 55 minutes -- it was far more interesting than polynomials and quadratic equations. Yeah, I wound up taking Algebra again in summer school.
And yes, Mrs. Crippen was married to Gil Crippen who won a national teacher of the year award teaching Geography at Menchville High. I delivered the Daily Press to them at their apartment in Dutch Village (Logan Place) around 69-70. I think he retired in 1999.
I actually designed the sign for the Subway Station as a school project for Mr.Smith he was my DECA teacher and owned the Subway Station in front of Ferguson,I believe it opened in either 1977 or 1978, is it still there?
Joanne P

Woodbridge, VA

#2368 May 15, 2011
Old Wrestler wrote:
<quoted text>
guess I am wrong about the name of the burger place but that was my first fast food. I was at the Beaconsdale pool all summer and we would walk over there for lunch alot.

My dad always went to the ball games at deer park. I went to Deer Park school, when it was a regular elementary school. I watched Tire city be built, I think I was in 7th grade.

Anchor drive In, My dad worked in the NN fire department and he could get in free, so we went alot. loved the playground there. It was a treat to go. Life was very simple then.
Joanne P

Woodbridge, VA

#2369 May 15, 2011
bossmanbo wrote:
<quoted text> I actually designed the sign for the Subway Station as a school project for Mr.Smith he was my DECA teacher and owned the Subway Station in front of Ferguson,I believe it opened in either 1977 or 1978, is it still there?
yep the Subway is still there, that whole area has changed so much, can hardly remember when christopher Newport was just a community college.
Georgie-Porgie

Chiang Mai, Thailand

#2370 Jun 13, 2011
Steve FHS 72 wrote:
Mr. Crippen was my favorit teacher at Menchville (other than Mrs. Fareell who was really HOT!)
Cindy Williams

Norfolk, VA

#2371 Jul 11, 2011
Joanne P wrote:
<quoted text>
guess I am wrong about the name of the burger place but that was my first fast food. I was at the Beaconsdale pool all summer and we would walk over there for lunch alot.
My dad always went to the ball games at deer park. I went to Deer Park school, when it was a regular elementary school. I watched Tire city be built, I think I was in 7th grade.
Anchor drive In, My dad worked in the NN fire department and he could get in free, so we went alot. loved the playground there. It was a treat to go. Life was very simple then.
Joanne, did your parents ever have foster children in their home, kids who were waiting to be adopted?
806 Temple Lane

Hampton, VA

#2372 Jul 26, 2011
G-E-X, Masons, Kings, J.M. Fields, Millers, Murphy Mart, Korvettes, Giant Open Air, Ames

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hampton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 8 min EasyEed 1,234,638
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr factcheck 53,510
Alert officer finds abducted Portsmouth girl 6 hr Jim 1
News Overton, judge who oversaw Iverson's trial, dies (Jan '08) 22 hr The Antithesis 27
gay teens who wanna bang Thu Roflcopy 12
News Hampton officer assaulted trying to arrest man ... Thu cyber lightning 1
Single Mom wants benefits May 26 serene 3
More from around the web

Hampton People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]