FDA announces nationwide recall of Hy...

FDA announces nationwide recall of Hydroxycut, used by dieters ...

There are 126 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from May 1, 2009, titled FDA announces nationwide recall of Hydroxycut, used by dieters .... In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Government health officials are announcing the recall of popular weight loss pill Hydroxycut, after reports of liver damage and other health problems.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

Yessir

United States

#25 May 1, 2009
Editor wrote:
But a guy in medical school who pretends to be a doctor in the commercials recommends it!
To top it off, he looks like he is 19. They could have gotten a more legit-looking fake doctor (like one with grey hair and glasses)...like that commercial I have been seeing now for a sleep aid that uses Triptophan.
mike

Carrollton, VA

#27 May 1, 2009
the inquirer wrote:
<quoted text>
Warning: Hydroxycut causes spelling impairment
lol...thats the best laugh I have had all day. Thanks.
Cravin Moorehead

Mcdonough, GA

#28 May 1, 2009
I crushed it up and snorted it once...

Since: Sep 08

Naperville

#29 May 1, 2009
OK, good that they updated the story. they do not know what ingredients actually caused the issues. The Bitter Orange extract and Yohimbe would be my guess.

Some weight loss supplements do work, but there are limitations.. they are nothing but an addition to a diet and eercise regimen. Some, like CLA, are fairly well proven (though it is really a fat loss, not weight loss supplement). Others are less proven and have dangers associated with them, like the 2 above. Still others have a theoretical benefit that has not been fully bourne out in studies, like DIM.
True Dat

Naperville, IL

#30 May 1, 2009
ryan wrote:
i took hydroxy cut harcore and i have had no problems mabe a faster heart beat and slight dizzyness when geting up fast but i seen no problems with it i still have a boddle that i dont take but to hear this, this is really bad the kid who died took it playing football in 90 degree weather with no water henise boddle says drink a glasses of warter a day but i am going to see a docoter today for my check up but if you have any questions email me at rnb0927@yahoo.com
Apparently Hydroxycut Hardcore makes people stupid too.
CJ reader

United States

#31 May 1, 2009
ryan wrote:
i took hydroxy cut harcore and i have had no problems mabe a faster heart beat and slight dizzyness when geting up fast but i seen no problems with it i still have a boddle that i dont take but to hear this, this is really bad the kid who died took it playing football in 90 degree weather with no water henise boddle says drink a glasses of warter a day but i am going to see a docoter today for my check up but if you have any questions email me at rnb0927@yahoo.com
Geez Ryan, learn how to spell! You must be a product of public school education!
Gino

San Francisco, CA

#32 May 1, 2009
How am I supposed to get jacked up now and dance to house music at crowbar?
Benny

Hartford, CT

#33 May 1, 2009
Andrea wrote:
i take Stacker 3 - so i should be okay... summer time - gotta be fit... dont want the b/f to sit in strip clubs looking at skinny girls -(and they're only skinny cuz they're all cokeheads...) Maybe if i dieted like them... hmmmmm....
That's a pretty sad attitude. Sounds like you need a new boyfriend, not some self esteem boosting stimulant pills.
eddie

Chicago, IL

#34 May 1, 2009
Romey Rome wrote:
<quoted text>
The 0.05 pt Font fine print at the bottom of the screen clearly shows that he's not a doctor.
But he plays one on tv!
Big Daddy

Lake Worth, FL

#41 May 1, 2009
Kind of like Fen-Phen and like Dexedrine, Methedrine, and cocaine before it--weight loss pills are just speed (uppers, joy pills, mother's little helper, colombian marching powder) in disguise. When will people ever learn that??

Jeezix.
Legal Junkie

United States

#42 May 1, 2009
No drugs? This is an outrage!I need drugs to solve all of my problems! I need psychotropic drugs, pain killers, appetite suppressors, appetite stimulators, stool hardeners, stool softeners, muscle relaxers, steroids, sleeping pills, energy pills...
I need a pill to have sex, I need a pill to pee, I need a pill to control my gas, I need a pill to breathe, I need a pill to improve muscle mass, I need a pill to keep me from killing myself, I need a pill to avoid the previous pill's possible side effect of suicide....

How in the world can I do anything without a pill?
Dave

Chicago, IL

#43 May 1, 2009
This is going to kill ad revenues for the muscle magazines! Hydroxycut pays a lot for all of those multi-page "advertorials."
ruoy diputs

New York, NY

#44 May 1, 2009
People actually buy that stuff the sell at night on T.V. People are very stupid. People cant comprehend that it takes work for a good body. Thats why I'm fat....I'm lazy, but not dumb enough to think a weight loss pill will work.

Maybe I'll try crack light. More filling, less smoke.
Bubba

Chicago, IL

#46 May 1, 2009
Gino wrote:
How am I supposed to get jacked up now and dance to house music at crowbar?
Talk to the guy wearing the Cubs t-shirt in the NW corner corner tonight. He'll sell you some good stuff in the bathroom.
Killing Time

Manchester, CT

#47 May 1, 2009
Screw Hydroxycut, just take ephedra + caffeine pills.
Yessir

United States

#48 May 1, 2009
John Gottis Corpse wrote:
I go to a gym on the south shore of Long Island and there's a fat Italian guy, about 55-60yrs old who has passed out TWICE in the gym, can't walk from one side of the gym to the other without being out of breath, and I overheard him say the other day that he's not only taking Hydroxycut but he's on a prescription appatite suppressant. Also he has a personal trainer that he and some other fat friend of his share.
I can't believe the owner lets this fat slob continue to workout at the gym. He does have nice breasts though.
When you think about it, health clubs probably love those fat members. They usually convince them to sign a multi-year membership, with the notion that it will "force" them to go regularly, since they have to pay for it anyways (with some exceptions). After a few weeks, the fatties generally give up, and just keep paying the monthly fee. Sort of like a "fat tax". The clubs probably don't like the folks that go religiously...since they then have to keep the lights on, replace machines periodically, clean the towels, pay employees to work there, etc. They probably wish all their customers were fatties who sign those 2 year contracts. That way, they could just avoid all those costs. The business would be a cash cow (no pun intended).
Tootmaster

Chicago, IL

#50 May 1, 2009
Little Debbie wrote:
Just knock off the Twinkies and Chips and never mind the pills. Simple.
Hav you ever gon thru Twinkie withdrawal? It's a b*****!!!
Ethanol

Stillman Valley, IL

#51 May 1, 2009
Is it still safe to dissolve in saline and inject directly into the testicles like I do it?
mmm__cheesesteak

Allentown, PA

#52 May 1, 2009
John Gottis Corpse wrote:
I go to a gym on the south shore of Long Island and there's a fat Italian guy,. Also he has a personal trainer that he and some other fat friend of his share.
I can't believe the owner lets this fat slob continue to workout at the gym.
that's f'ed up man. think about how hard it must be going to the gym knowing you might pass out in front of people, or that some guy in the corner is making fun of you the whole workout. you should look at that man as inspiration, he's tryin hard to get back to a normal life. he got a trainer and everything. i have nothing but respect for overweight people in the gym. they are doing what they gotta do, and doing it like adults!
mmm__cheesesteak

Allentown, PA

#53 May 1, 2009
lipozene sales will go through the roof now. time to buy stock

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hampton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 58 min Canuk 1,710,460
News Sex workers show sparks protest at W & M (Mar '09) 3 hr Ayers 18
Why do blacks get everything free? (Dec '12) 3 hr Ayers 132
I remember in Newport News (Dec '07) 4 hr Ayers 2,408
I remember in Hampton (Jan '08) 4 hr Ayers 890
College of William and Mary is for low IQ girls 4 hr Ayers 5
What to do in the area 4 hr Ayers 6

Hampton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance