New Lottery game plagued with problems

New Lottery game plagued with problems

There are 43 comments on the WAVY Norfolk Hampton Roads story from Oct 20, 2008, titled New Lottery game plagued with problems. In it, WAVY Norfolk Hampton Roads reports that:

The winning lottery numbers added up to seven, but something didn't add up when dozens of people went to the Virginia Lottery Office to claim the grand prize.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WAVY Norfolk Hampton Roads.

Gordon

Grain Valley, MO

#23 Oct 21, 2008
they need to pay them. Its the lotteries mistake.
Money 4 Nothing

Oklahoma City, OK

#24 Oct 21, 2008
That's why they put disclaimers on these tickets. If people would save their money instead of buying false hope, some of you might even surpass the $7,777 payout.
Jimmie

AOL

#25 Oct 21, 2008
It would be a shame if the lottery didn't pay evryone with a ticket that has 8 sevens. It would damage the trust that people have in the lottery system and cost the lottery millions of dollars. They should pay and then sue gtech for the money. It's only 473,136. It was their faulty software that created the problem. Its strange that only grand prize tickets had an issue according to gtech.(How do we know that they aren't lying to protect their interest).
hubeee

Duncan, OK

#26 Oct 21, 2008
All of the odds are stacked in the lotteries favor, but they still refuse to pay.
Fooll me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. No wonder the lottery is dying a well earned death.
IEKOOP

Henderson, NV

#27 Oct 21, 2008
It sucks that all those people thought they won the big prize, but that's what happens when you take a chance like that and gamble. If it states right on the ticket that the prize is void if the ticket is misprinted, then it's void. I understand the frustration of the lottery players, but the lottery shouldn't pay thousands of dollars out for a glitch in a computer system. Be thankful they even acknowledged it or admitted it!
IEKOOP

Henderson, NV

#28 Oct 21, 2008
They will never see a drop in sales. It's in America's human nature to over indulge and place their hopes and dreams on luck. Where one player stops playing, 3 more start.
IEKOOP

Henderson, NV

#29 Oct 21, 2008
Jimmie wrote:
It would be a shame if the lottery didn't pay evryone with a ticket that has 8 sevens. It would damage the trust that people have in the lottery system and cost the lottery millions of dollars. They should pay and then sue gtech for the money. It's only 473,136. It was their faulty software that created the problem. Its strange that only grand prize tickets had an issue according to gtech.(How do we know that they aren't lying to protect their interest).
There is no trust in the lottery. It's gambling, not your priest. It's all about luck. There is no trust involved. If you gamble, you don't always win!
IEKOOP

Henderson, NV

#30 Oct 21, 2008
Money 4 Nothing wrote:
That's why they put disclaimers on these tickets. If people would save their money instead of buying false hope, some of you might even surpass the $7,777 payout.
If you have to buy "hopes" then you are in a lot worse trouble then not winning $7,777.
Rod

Netherlands

#31 Oct 21, 2008
Lotteries make so much money, so why not stand up to your - even if they are "misprinted" tickets and pay those people the prizes
Swervin

Redwood City, CA

#33 Oct 21, 2008
HAHA
MathWizard

Albuquerque, NM

#34 Oct 21, 2008
I got a simple solution.

$7777 multiplied by 609 =$4,736,193
$7777 divided by 609 =$12.77

Let all these people that won the grand prize pay $12.77 out of their pocket and in return let them all receive the $7777.00 grand prize each.
MathWizard

Albuquerque, NM

#35 Oct 21, 2008
i know im drunk
MoreBadFaith

Bellefonte, PA

#36 Oct 21, 2008
VA Lottery also is the same group that would sell instant lotto tickets that would advertise a chnace to win the "Top Prize of XXX,XXX" and continue to sell even once all the prizes were gone. This shouldn't surprise anyone.
marc rogala

Clark, NJ

#37 Oct 22, 2008
the state and GTECH shoould make good it is not if the money they make from the lottery goes to do anuthing good.
PAY UP $
doc

Leominster, MA

#38 Oct 22, 2008
I think that they should pay them thier winnings,Its not like the lottery does not make a profit.Com e on these people were thrilled to death that they won.
flaguy

Atlanta, GA

#39 Oct 22, 2008
Pay em - you set up the game - you printed the tickets - you took cash for them - now pay up.
Elizabeth

Chester, VA

#40 Oct 22, 2008
Although the tickets do say "void if misprinted" they should stand by their game and give the money. If we mess up on something like that-we pay the consequences.
I stole your sunday paper

Virginia Beach, VA

#41 Oct 22, 2008
I guess Cadillac wont be getting any money any time soon? lol
Trish

Chester, VA

#42 Oct 22, 2008
What is it that they always say about gambling....The house ALWAYS wins!!
Jean

Norfolk, VA

#43 Oct 22, 2008
Iwas one of the winners however my bank account is
still empty.Va lottery keeps telling us to be patient.I'm very patient but the bottom line is we
want to be paid.They keep talking about mis-printed
tickets but I haven't seen any.My ticket says I'm
a winner but so far I don't feel like one.So I beg
the Va Lottery to do the right thing and please
pay us ,we shouldn't have to suffer because it was
not our fault!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hampton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Reader 1,704,405
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 10 hr FART BRIGADE 64,456
News HRUBS still experiencing billing issue (Feb '08) Sat Rightfully Angry ... 50
Mueller is worthless as a special prosecutor ..... Sat We the VOTERS in ... 1
News Charges that guard had sex with inmate sent to ... (Jan '10) Sat Martin garey 11
News Sex workers show sparks protest at W & M (Mar '09) Sat Martin garey 17
News Legislator asked W & M chief to ban sex show (Feb '09) Sat Martin garey 43

Hampton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hampton Mortgages