New Lottery game plagued with problems

Full story: WAVY Norfolk Hampton Roads

The winning lottery numbers added up to seven, but something didn't add up when dozens of people went to the Virginia Lottery Office to claim the grand prize.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of43
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Frank Mitchell

Hampton, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2008

Judged:

I think the lottery should pay what they tendered on the original rules to the game , and if they got the grand prize the Lottery should be forced to make good on the ticket . It is not the fault of the player that the lottery is gonna loose money , they need to test their own games before they release them if they dont plan on paying , they sure dont have a problem collecting Millions from the players , its time the Lottery paid up .
Frank Mitchell

Hampton, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2008

Judged:

Come on Va. Lottery , pay up
no name

Norfolk, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2008

Judged:

they need to pay -just like when you go to the store and something is labeled the wrong price-its only fair
Valerie

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2008

Judged:

The lottery should have to cash out all the winners at the prize stated. If you lose or damage your ticket, it's YOUR loss, so when they make a mistake it should be their loss (and somebody should get fired for the screw up).
Lillie

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2008

It's April Fools! in October!
Graphix

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2008

Judged:

The lottery should have insurance for these types of mistakes (if they do not already). The problem is that there were Grand Prize tickets to be sold. How can the lottery people discern which winning tickets were due to malfunction and which were real winning tickets? The article seems to suggest that the lottery believes the problem occurred at the GTECH. If the lottery officials followed the proper procedures in releasing the game then it seems fair that GTECH should shoulder the blame. Either way I can not believe that neither of these entities would not insurance to cover cases such as these.
James-S

Columbus, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2008

Judged:

I feel the lottery weather its a mistake or misprint, they should by all means correct the problems and continue the game but must pay those winners the prize stated on the tickets or they more than likely see a BIG drop in future sales.
Tom

Virginia Beach, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2008

Judged:

Seem as if the problem is in the program not in the printing of the ticket. The Printer only printed what the program told it to, therefore how can it be considered a misprinted ticket. Lottery should cut there loss and pay up.
Air Force

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2008

CRAZY!!! VA Lottery should be taken to court and made to pay as otherwise whenever they get the notion that they are not "happy" with a winner they can change the rules! What if a life decision based on presumed winnings was made and VA Lottery says "NYET" totally unfair! If you "run" this operation than you are responsible for it and as such should pay according to the printed rules. A little too much like NASCAR for my liking as why should we participate only to have it all taken away after the fact!!!
Evelyn Franklin

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2008

My son and his girlfriend also have a
ticket that says they won $7,777. They were so happy because they said finally We have been blessed so we can
get their cars fixed so they'd have trusted rides for work, pay bills, by
food,things for their 2 children and have money to buy gifts at Christmas.
VA customers have every right to be angry who's to say any time they don't want to pay out they won't say misprint or something else.
I stole your sunday paper

Virginia Beach, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2008

Judged:

This was just another one of Tim Kaine's sick ideas.
Lets rip off the citizens of VA.
Lotto Player

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2008

Judged:

Pay the people. With all the media attention this has gotten the VA Lottery will probley sell enough tickets to cover the 4.5 million dollar price tag and even if they dont it is the right thing to do. They won. The Lottery has reserves set aside for this exact thing. You even had 1 lady talking about how she had to borrow the money for gas and tolls to even get there. I dont belive it was a glitch in the system but the same problem every other state agency has and that is that they are quick to blame someone else when things go wrong. They Lottery should be happy people even have the money to spend on the lottery in todays times.
ADIII

Denham Springs, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2008

Judged:

Plan and simple, ALL these people should get paid. They spent thier money with hopes of winning the jackpot, and when they did, all they got was an apology that wasn't worth the lottery ticket they bought. It's the Virginia's Lottery's fault, they should eat this lose.
pwc

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2008

Judged:

they should have to pay it anyway.two companies that big and no proof reading/error checking?bunch of crooks.if they werent such frikkin idiots,relying on software with no checkups,sad.its only 609 tickets,they should have to eat it and pay up.they rake in tons of money,and i bet the fatasses in charge of these two companies are over paid.they flat out suck.
Further Down South

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2008

Judged:

This has happened before and the people have won. We are not resonsible for your errors. We are not responsible for your misprints. We bought a ticket in good faith. You sold it to us. There is no other recourse than to pay the prize to $609 winners. Anything short of the invalidates the Lottery as advertised. No private company would be allowed to stiff anyone. Neither should the government.
A Little Bit North

Harrisburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2008

Judged:

What a Mess!! How dare the VA Lottery decide, after the fact, that the grand prize winning tickets will not be honored!! Blaming the vendor and technology for their error in selling a defective product seems a bit too convenient. I hope this does no happen too often as I could create credibilty problems with a government-run entity. Imagine that!
w gilson

Littleton, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2008

Judged:

Give the people their money and consider it another 'bail out' package to help the economy.
STUNNED

Irving, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2008

Judged:

the lottery puts that disclaimer on every ticket for this very reason. It should not have to pay just because a system error occured. How would all of you feel if it was your paycheck it was coming out of?? Surely you wouldnt want to have to kick out all that money if you just made a little mistake and you caught and corrected it!!!
ACast

Greeley, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2008

Judged:

They should have given all those mistaken winners a portion of the grand prize-even if it was only $10!
They should not have went to that office and walked away empty handed. Most of them will never play again.
Tracy

Pinckney, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2008

Judged:

VA Lottery, you screwed up. Suck it up, and pay up!

Similar thing happened in michigan when Aggie Usudley called out the wrong daily 3 numbers verbally, while pulling the numbers, physically.

The state lottery had to pay the winners who heard their numbers called, as well as the winners who saw their numbers called, even though the numbers were different.

Aggie had to take 'administrative leave' for a while for her mistake.

VA lottery needs to pay the winners.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of43
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
Hampton Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Hampton Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Hampton People Search