A sample menu for Georgia prison inmates on Friday, when they g...

Full story: Newsday 38
A sample Friday menu for prisoners in Georgia , who are now getting only two meals that day as the state tries to save money: Breakfast: Scrambled eggs Grits Corn Muffins Bran cereal Pineapple beverage Margarine Coffee Milk Dinner: Chicken and biscuits Turnip greens Tossed salad Vinegar and oil dressing Mashed potatoes Spice cake Iced tea ___ ... Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
OhWellShitHappen s

Brooklyn, NY

#1 Jun 5, 2009
How about feeding them nothing? They'll starve to death and even more money will be saved.
NYStateOfMind

New York, NY

#2 Jun 5, 2009
Is this story relevant in any way? Does Newsday have to contractully run these AP stories?...

A waste of space..
College student

United States

#3 Jun 5, 2009
Georgia used to have prison farms that raised 100% of the food fed to inmates across the state. Civil rights groups complained that it was unfair to make prisoners work in the hot sun and even complained that farm outhouses were old fashioned. Prison farms closed down and the taxpayers are now supporting convicts' eating habits.
Bethlehem

Bethlehem, PA

#4 Jun 5, 2009
There are people outside that don't get that much to eat. If thay don't like it let them starve. I'm sure they have money to buy snacks from a commisary where they buy other things.
Please

AOL

#5 Jun 5, 2009
College student wrote:
Georgia used to have prison farms that raised 100% of the food fed to inmates across the state. Civil rights groups complained that it was unfair to make prisoners work in the hot sun and even complained that farm outhouses were old fashioned. Prison farms closed down and the taxpayers are now supporting convicts' eating habits.
Treu, but your leaving out a very vital part to this story. What about the graft and corruption that went on in these prisons where the inmates food supply that was raised by the prisoners was sold for PROFIT by the warden et.al. and the money pocketed by same. What about the prisoners being used as slave labor on neighboring civilian farms? Yeah, now that's a real good example for incarcerated men and women.
College student

United States

#6 Jun 5, 2009
Please wrote:
<quoted text>
Treu, but your leaving out a very vital part to this story. What about the graft and corruption that went on in these prisons where the inmates food supply that was raised by the prisoners was sold for PROFIT by the warden et.al. and the money pocketed by same. What about the prisoners being used as slave labor on neighboring civilian farms? Yeah, now that's a real good example for incarcerated men and women.
That was when the Democrats ruled Georgia as a one party government and there was no way to vote them out.
Murray Mom

Chatsworth, GA

#7 Jun 5, 2009
My take is: If you don't want to work the prison farm, or chain gang, etc., don't do the crime.
Crockett

Patchogue, NY

#8 Jun 5, 2009
It was nice seeing the chain gangs during a recent trip in Georgia. Guards with shotguns watching prisoners do roadwork was good for my heart. Won't happen here. Levy wouldn't hire any more guards, never mind buying shotguns.
Murray Mom

Chatsworth, GA

#9 Jun 5, 2009
Well, as I see it, I am a law-abiding citizen who has to work every day (currently 10-12 hours daily with husband unemployed) to provide for my family. I have to pay taxes that help pay for prisoners a place to sleep, clothing, food. What's wrong with them working and paying for some of that themselves? I do believe there should be some checks and balances going on to make sure no one is mistreated, but they need to give back to the society that they have harmed in some way.
Good Grief

Virginia Beach, VA

#10 Jun 5, 2009
You mean like in the movie Brubaker?
College student wrote:

Since: Nov 08

Williamsburg, VA

#11 Jun 5, 2009
Damn...they eat better than my family. Sucks to think that inmates are getting meals, including dessert, when there are many families that consider Ramen noodles a staple because it is filling and cheap.
Hard Times

Jacksonville, FL

#12 Jun 5, 2009
Just goes to show you that prison is not a nice place. You can avoid going to prison by not committing crimes.
troll intheass

West Islip, NY

#13 Jun 5, 2009
Hard Times wrote:
Just goes to show you that prison is not a nice place. You can avoid going to prison by not committing crimes.
They can have sam and eggs in the morning and for lunch Beef a Ronnie.
Good Eatin

Newark, NJ

#14 Jun 5, 2009
Yeah, the menu looks good but how about your dinner companions?
change we can believe in

United States

#15 Jun 5, 2009
They should get no dessert. They should get the equivalent that a starving, poverty stricken family gets. It's prison not a country club.

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#16 Jun 5, 2009
change we can believe in wrote:
They should get no dessert. They should get the equivalent that a starving, poverty stricken family gets. It's prison not a country club.
That would make them eligible for welfare and food stamps.
Clarification

Fort Lee, NJ

#17 Jun 5, 2009
College student wrote:
Obviously.

That's because TODAY, some inmates are WHITE.
NN Thug

AOL

#18 Jun 6, 2009
I gained 25 pounds in prison. Had to go on a nutrasytem diet after I got out so my hoos would hang out with me again.

“E Pluribus Unum”

Since: Apr 09

Broward County

#19 Jun 6, 2009
Please wrote:
<quoted text>
"Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime where of the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

It is legal under The Constitution, and a good idea. Don't commit crime, or grow your own food in the hot sun.

Liberals are brain dead.

“E Pluribus Unum”

Since: Apr 09

Broward County

#20 Jun 6, 2009
Gun Chick wrote:
Damn...they eat better than my family. Sucks to think that inmates are getting meals, including dessert, when there are many families that consider Ramen noodles a staple because it is filling and cheap.
This post brings a tear to my eye.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hampton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Right 1,127,028
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 11 hr grave digger 47,501
I remember in Hampton (Jan '08) 18 hr Todd 757
vote homosexual marriage,Lgbt, Mark Werner Thu Hawthorne 2
Gay couples hope legislation makes Hawaii first... (Feb '09) Oct 21 Jonah1 16,148
Hampton aims to slow population loss Oct 21 Alford 6
is Ebola at Hampton Roads eye associates,Hampton? Oct 18 Handy man 2
Hampton Dating
Find my Match

Hampton Jobs

Hampton People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Hampton News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Hampton

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]