Secret Service violates HR218 at Obam...
First Prev
of 8
Next Last
FL_federal_LEO

Washington, DC

#144 Mar 9, 2010
Good wrote:
GOOD! You have no reason to have a weapon if you are off duty, especially at a function where our 44th president was speaking. You, as an officer of the law, should have known better.
YOU ARE A F*CKING MORON!!!!!!!!
FiveFish1

Streamwood, IL

#145 Mar 12, 2010
A "no weapons allowed" sign or notification would not necessarily apply to Law Enforcement officers. Students cannot carrry weapons on school grounds, but LEO's can, regardless of any school policy or rule, as an example. Civilians wanting to carry their own weapons are always attempting to turn such issues into concealed carry issues. This is not a concealed carry issue. This is about a trained, qualified LEO being able to carry his weapon to aid him in upholding his oath should anything requiring such actions take place. Do not go thinking "Well, I went thru gun training courses/ I teach/ I'm trained and qualified." You are NOT. LEO training goes far beyond how to shoot, load, clean and maintain a weapon. The Secret Service is not trained in such matters. They are there only to protect their high profile charges. And as far as being a civilian again someday, you need to read H.R. 218.
mick

Hampton Bays, NY

#146 May 6, 2010
Shame on you for going to there. And why did you hand it over and stay.
WRJack

Miami, FL

#147 Jul 3, 2010
First and foremost, Equalizer it sounds like your comments are racist. But, all non essential weapons should have been left home.
Peacekeeper

Lake Alfred, FL

#148 Jul 27, 2010
I am not surprised with an Obama gathering that the off duty police officers weapons were taken away as Obama is a socialist NOT an American. I am a former law officer with HR218 eligibility along with a proper level of common sense not trusting this POS. I DON'T attend places I am not wanted as Obama plans to disarm ALL Americans with gun control genocide to disarm the victims (Americans). Obama is destroying America from within. He needs to be impeached as he is a traitor to the United States.
crazypeople

Attleboro, MA

#149 Aug 3, 2010
Take away the good guys guns. Thats what I say I wonder who the only people with guns would be around then. hmmmmmm maybe only the bad guys. What are some of you obama lovers thinking. Dont come crying to the good guys when you have a gun pointed in your face for your wallet or worse pointed at your family, children, wife. I just know I excersise my rights. Will you I dont care its not my family. You people are nutts. Could you live with yourself if god for bid it was your family and you couldnt help. God bless you I will say prayers for you all although I think its to late for most of you brain washed induviduals.
Nunya

Bennettsville, SC

#150 Aug 29, 2010
Equalizer wrote:
Now you know how those with concealed weapons permits feel when we can't bring them into restaurants. But wait, if Obama gets elected none of us will be "allowed" to carry guns of any type.
I hope you have seen the light and will now vote for McCain. What were you thinking by attending an Obama rally anyway?? Shame on you Mr. Po-liceman.
<quoted text>
You are not law-enforcement so it doesn't matter how u feel when u can't carry. We law-enforcement put ourselves at higher risk and have more training so we should receive exemptions. If you want the same exemptions become law enforcement and deal with on a daily basis what we do.
229Mick

West Chester, PA

#152 Sep 2, 2010
Thug Hunter wrote:
It was clearly stated in the newspaper that weapons of any kind would not be allowed.
OK, I'll put an ad in the paper that says I'm the king of the world. That's probably the dumbest argument I've heard in a long time. So they announce that the secret service is going to break the law, so they are allowed too?

HR218 says that LEO's can carry anywhere, the secret service, especially when protecting a 'candidate' for some reason, are not above federal law, regardless of what obama may tell them.

He sure started early taking our liberty away.

"but this was an event where Secret Service ran the show."

Sorry, this is The United States of America, there is no event where the secret service runs the show.
Detective Gadget

Lakewood, NJ

#153 Mar 23, 2011
HR 218 does not guarantee you can carry your firearm anywhere. It also states private property or government jurisdictions may prohibit off duty carry and State Laws must be followed. Once you are in the "bubble" of POTUS, you are subject to restrictions imposed by the Secret Service and the local Police they are working with. Everyone involved in the presidential detail has gone through a background check. The average off duty officer has no business carrying their firearm to a Presidential gathering.

I went to a book signing of a retired President and left my weapon at home. I identified myself to the Agents and they appreciated my common sense in doing so and extended me the courtesy I expected. As an officer charged with protecting the President, you would have done the same. You would have followed your orders and restricted all weapons except of those assigned to the detail.

HR 218 is great, but use a little common sense, otherwise the detractors will say "see, we can't trust the average LEO to use their head and act appropriately.
COPter

Franklin, TN

#154 Apr 17, 2011
I won't question why the officer was there. Or why he took his firearm with him. But I do question why he surrendered a weapon that was entrusted to him as part of his responsibilities to enforce laws. When the personal desire to attend a political rally collided with the request to surrender his public entrustment, he made the wrong call. All he had to do was walk away, head held high, dignity preserved, public entrustment intact.

He could have posted equally loud complaints after the fact concerning USSS actions and still got his department to ask questions, get clarifications etc. Instead, he chose to abdicate his responsibilities and hold himself out publicly as a chucklehead.
Lee

United States

#155 Jun 3, 2011
HR218Suppoerter would have violated HR 218 because "victory landing park" is owned by the city of Newport News, thus he would have been in violation of HR 218:

(b) This section shall not be construed to supersede or limit the laws of any State that--2) prohibit or restrict the possession of firearms on any State or local government property, installation, building, base, or PARK.

Really, no one could be that stupid..
Big D from TX

Austin, TX

#156 Jun 19, 2011
Thug Hunter wrote:
It was clearly stated in the newspaper that weapons of any kind would not be allowed. Maybe you should have left your gun at home or secured somewhere else? As a taxpayer, I am furious that my tax dollars will have to go towards replacing a weapon confiscated from an off-duty officer attending a non-work related gathering. The city should not be responsible for replacing the weapon.
Eat my shorts...I'm guessing you wouldn't be in favor of me or a few of my coworkers having been armed and present at the shooting in Arizona in which several of your fellow citizenry were gunned down, including a 6 year old little girl??? Ya know...its folks like you that cry foul if I don't get to your house in time when someone wants to break in and rape your wife and daughter in front of you, yet you don't have the intestinal fortitude to stand up and take arms to protect your own family or your neighbors from such criminal acts. My co-workers, brethern all, and I rush into situations that you run from to aid those not able (or unwilling due to their own political beliefs), to protect themselves. I'd rather you just say "Thank you" and leave it at that than second guess our motives or moralities...after all, when was the last time YOU passed a psychological exam to allow yourself to carry a firearm and make life and death decisions on a second's notice with very little information from someone's past? Mine was at my last promotional board...

By the way, "You're welcome..."
NRA

Virginia Beach, VA

#157 Jul 12, 2011
Attendees at an Obama rally represent "low hanging fruit" in the democrats' effort to disarm the American citizenry. Silly Sheeple!

“I HAVE SOME SPLAINING TO DO”

Since: Oct 07

Newport News VA

#158 Jul 19, 2011
Big D from TX wrote:
<quoted text>
Eat my shorts...I'm guessing you wouldn't be in favor of me or a few of my coworkers having been armed and present at the shooting in Arizona in which several of your fellow citizenry were gunned down, including a 6 year old little girl??? Ya know...its folks like you that cry foul if I don't get to your house in time when someone wants to break in and rape your wife and daughter in front of you, yet you don't have the intestinal fortitude to stand up and take arms to protect your own family or your neighbors from such criminal acts. My co-workers, brethern all, and I rush into situations that you run from to aid those not able (or unwilling due to their own political beliefs), to protect themselves. I'd rather you just say "Thank you" and leave it at that than second guess our motives or moralities...after all, when was the last time YOU passed a psychological exam to allow yourself to carry a firearm and make life and death decisions on a second's notice with very little information from someone's past? Mine was at my last promotional board...
By the way, "You're welcome..."
Thank you for putting your life on the line every day for everyone, even morons like this.

My money say's you would be their hero, if you shot someone that had ill intentions of anyone they knew. Right now they just can't think out of their little box to know this.
Blue Line

United States

#159 Nov 3, 2011
When our officers were on the Obama detail, on duty, uniformed officers, had to walk away from the motorcade because the SS didn't want us near the vehicles...I guess no one is to be trusted.
nope

New York, NY

#160 Nov 3, 2011
Nunya wrote:
<quoted text>You are not law-enforcement so it doesn't matter how u feel when u can't carry. We law-enforcement put ourselves at higher risk and have more training so we should receive exemptions. If you want the same exemptions become law enforcement and deal with on a daily basis what we do.
Lmao at: "We law-enforcement put ourselves at higher risk and have more training so we should receive exemptions."

I know for a fact that most police officers only fire their weapon once a year. To make matters worse, all of my buddies in LE say they are understaffed. This coming from guys here in VA and mass.
ronald ragan

Austell, GA

#162 Aug 6, 2012
HR218 Supporter wrote:
Why is it that Secret Service Agents were confiscating, yes, CONFISCATING the DUTY WEAPONS of off-duty law enforcement who came to support Obama during his visit to Victory Landing Park, in Newport News, Virginia on October 4th 2008? HR218 was created to allow Law Enforcement to carry weapons where ever they go throughout the United States. Today, at the Obama convention, various off duty law enforcement officers were forced by Secret Service to surrender their firearms, which included their department issued firearms. Considering the condition of most downtown Newport News areas, I think it is unreasonable, dangerous and downright unconstitutional that Law Enforcement was forced to surrender their weapons, or face arrest by the secret service for "unspecified charges." I call them that because the Secret Service agent refused to tell me what law I was breaking or what I would be charged with if I refused to surrender my duty weapon. Unfortunately, due to the profanity filter on these forums, I am unable to share with you the exact words that were spoken to my by this Secret Service agent when I calmly asked what law I would be violating and what would happen if I refused to surrender my duty weapon. However I can say is that if any law enforcement officer here in Virginia were to say to a citizen they were speaking with what was said to me, then there would very rapidly be an opening in that officer’s department for a new hire afterwards. I did not want to create a scene, or hinder the Secret Service in their official duties of protecting a potential US presidential candidate, so thinking that perhaps this Secret Service agent was new, or just a hot head of some sort, I handed over my weapon, fully expecting that I could reclaim it afterwards. This particular Secret Service agent was a young hotshot, with an extremely unprofessional attitude and demeanor who refused to identify himself by name, confiscated my duty weapon, as well as several other off duty badge’s duty weapons.
You must be a real mushbrain - going to a rally to support Obozo and then wondering why the squirrels took your piece.
Dave

United States

#163 Aug 15, 2012
HR218 Supporter wrote:
Why is it that Secret Service Agents were confiscating, yes, CONFISCATING the DUTY WEAPONS of off-duty law enforcement who came to support Obama during his visit to Victory Landing Park, in Newport News, Virginia on October 4th 2008? HR218 was created to allow Law Enforcement to carry weapons where ever they go throughout the United States. Today, at the Obama convention, various off duty law enforcement officers were forced by Secret Service to surrender their firearms, which included their department issued firearms. Considering the condition of most downtown Newport News areas, I think it is unreasonable, dangerous and downright unconstitutional that Law Enforcement was forced to surrender their weapons, or face arrest by the secret service for "unspecified charges." I call them that because the Secret Service agent refused to tell me what law I was breaking or what I would be charged with if I refused to surrender my duty weapon. Unfortunately, due to the profanity filter on these forums, I am unable to share with you the exact words that were spoken to my by this Secret Service agent when I calmly asked what law I would be violating and what would happen if I refused to surrender my duty weapon. However I can say is that if any law enforcement officer here in Virginia were to say to a citizen they were speaking with what was said to me, then there would very rapidly be an opening in that officer’s department for a new hire afterwards. I did not want to create a scene, or hinder the Secret Service in their official duties of protecting a potential US presidential candidate, so thinking that perhaps this Secret Service agent was new, or just a hot head of some sort, I handed over my weapon, fully expecting that I could reclaim it afterwards. This particular Secret Service agent was a young hotshot, with an extremely unprofessional attitude and demeanor who refused to identify himself by name, confiscated my duty weapon, as well as several other off duty badge’s duty weapons.
NO Officer EVER gives up his weapon to anyone in any circumstance. My years of training has taught me that, wonder why Virginia is missing that element.
Dave

United States

#164 Aug 15, 2012
NO Officer EVER gives up his weapon to anyone in any circumstance. My years of training has taught me that, wonder why Virginia is missing that element.
Danny G

Wahiawa, HI

#165 Jan 29, 2013
HR218 Supporter wrote:
Some of us are now left having to scramble to get another duty service weapon before returning to duty, while our departments will no doubt have to fight the Secret Service’s red tape for an unconstitutional act taken against us, and the illegal confiscation of department issued weapons. And I again reemphasize, that off duty officer’s weapons were confiscated. They were not returned to me or any other of the law enforcement officers, or allowed to re-claim them upon leaving the event. I had to explain to my Sergeant what happened, and upon hearing the news he was most upset, and immediately attempted to contact the Special Agent In Charge who was in charge of the Secret Service detail that was with Obama, to demand why they had illegally confiscated my duty weapon, leaving me with nothing to go on duty with on my shift the following day. He was told by whoever answered the phone to simply call back on Monday, and there would be someone available then to discuss the situation. I am lucky, in that my department had a couple extra firearms on hand, so that I will be able to go on duty tomorrow. I am not sure if the departments of the other officers are that lucky. I do know that one of the officers works for a small town, who no doubt will probably not have an extra weapon to issue to him to allow him to go on duty like my department did. Today was truly a sad, sad day for the Secret Service and their relations with Virginia law enforcement officers. The last thing I wanted was for this to become a political thing, so I will end this by saying that this has me extremely worried about the future gun rights of legitimate, law abiding gun carrying citizens. When it gets to the point that the people who do the best to keep society safe in these ever increasingly unsafe, unfriendly times, are prohibited from possessing firearms issued to them by their own department, it is of grave concern to all citizens everywhere who decide to legally arm and protect themselves and their families from the criminal element, no matter where they live. I thank you very much for taking time to read this, and I do hope that I eventually get my duty weapon back. If the Secret Service refuses to return the weapons, then the departments will need to purchase additional weapons to replace the ones that were illegally confiscated. This will ultimately hurt the taxpayers who support the departments who work so hard to serve and protect, during this ever-increasing budget shortage that is affecting all citizens of the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Thank you.
Dear Law man. Thank you so much for all you do too keep this country safe. Obama and his cronies are out to take away our 2nd Amendment. May God have Mercy on America. Aloha. PS, contact your local F.O.P. They will be able to help you. Thats FEDERATION OF POLICE OFFICERS.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hampton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 8 min Grey Ghostmoron 1,346,435
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 3 hr Earthling-1 57,238
News Outlaws Motorcycle Gang Indicted: 27 members of... (Jun '10) 10 hr Blasphemer 58
Flashing Boobs (Jun '15) 20 hr martin garey 17
News Top leader of the Bounty Hunter Bloods gets 19 ... (Oct '08) Sun jmack 48
News Libraries' free books, computers pull in patron... (Mar '09) Feb 6 Martin garey 27
News Light Rail - A Smashing Success? (May '10) Feb 5 Rail farts 17
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hampton Mortgages