Dominion Virginia Power to help needy customers pay bills

Three programs help the elderly and low-income customers with summer energy bills. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
madashell

Newport News, VA

#21 Sep 17, 2009
@go figure about Reply
|Report Abuse |Judge it!|#13 Nov 11, 2008
PAMPERAN wrote:
I am a single mother working around 50 hours per week. I am in a hardship and I just cant make ends meet I have had many discussions with the power company and nothing is helping. I have five children in my household and my lights were recently disconnected and I need help my bill has gotten up to 1800.00 I live in the city of virginia beach if anyone can help please contact me at pamperan@yahoo.ca

go figure: But you made sure your internet bill was paid huh?

How do you know that she had internet at home. She might be using it at work. Who are you to judge her. What is this world coming to when people can't help each other instead they judge. I too grew up in the early part of my years without AC but I eventually had it thanks to the hard work of my mother. I've grown to love it and depend on it. I know people whose died from heat strokes. If you can prevent that then why not. This economy is hitting everyone really hard. I lost my job in April and I am trying my best to make it. I heard about Dominion helping people and decided to check it out. If someone gave you guys the money to help pay your bills, tell me you wouldn't take. Please people there is a bigger picture here. Yes they are charging us 18% more but what can we do. It is what it is. So if they want to help others with the extra money they are getting then so be it. They are going to raise it regardless.
i know it

Louisa, VA

#22 Feb 9, 2011
anne i agree with you! our power bill is currently 1000~ of coarse some is from the past due ammount but how in the world can you pay a power bill that high???? and how in the world did it get that high?
i called also thinking there had to be something wrong and they wouldnt come out either...needless to say i let all my best words fly out of my mouth because its like they dont care~!
we even changed all our light bulbs and still no difference!!! also DOMINION charged us a $900 deposit last year.....adding $300 a month for 3 months to our bill because we werent paying on the EXACT date WTF????? and we can get the deposit back after we have paid on time on the exact date for a whole year LMAO......... i want to see a handbook showing they have the right to do this......
i know it

Louisa, VA

#23 Feb 9, 2011
go figure wrote:
<quoted text>
But you made sure your internet bill was paid huh?
SOME PPL DO HAVE INTERNET ON THEIR PHONES! IN WHICH OBVIOUSLY WITH CHILDREN YOU HAVE TO HAVE A PHONE!

“low tolerance for stupid”

Since: Apr 08

Hampton VA

#24 Feb 11, 2011
Dominion Virginia Power is a private company selling a service. They can offer what ever assistance or discount they want to who ever they want.
jay c

Norfolk, VA

#25 Dec 3, 2012
I totally agree with you. You have these people making babies after babies, do not work, collect food stamps and cash assistance, live in low income housing, get free cell phone, medical and now assistance with heating and cooling? What else do we working people have to pay to support to useless people. What makes me upset is peole who work so hard, pay their bills, pay their medical insurance/copays and when they really need help they are denied but worthless bumps get all the assistance and they produce kids growing up to be just like them. What is wrong with this system. It makes me sick.
Reality wrote:
Why is it necessary to provide cooling assistance to low income homes with children? I grew up with no air conditioning period. None in the house and none in the car. We were uncomfortable but we survived with no ill effects. These homes getting aid should be thoroughly investigated as to non essential spending. Cell phones, cable tv, designer clothing, expensive vehicles etc before any aid is given they should be made to sell or cancel all non essential items.
All aid should be directed to the sick and elderly and not healthly people.
wowzahs_

Baltimore, MD

#26 Aug 4, 2013
It's sad how some people dont understand what its like to be poor or w/o something so they judge others. I am a single mom of 3. I work my BUTT off to provide what I can for my children and they way the economy is I still can barely aford to manage. I have my kids in school for 9-10 hours a day so I can work hard. SO Im thankful for the help and you know what if I had the money and this issue came up I would not complain. Because Im sitting in a nice house where my kids are all safe and sound while they are struggling
Really

Newport News, VA

#27 Aug 8, 2013
WOW!!! Just to inform those who are unaware; a company has to offer a certain amount of assistance to those who need it. This is a big big tax write off for the companies thus helping boost their profits anyway. Who are you to judge someone for needing assistance? You never know when you are going to need a helping hand, and don't think this couldn't happen to you. Yes, some people take advantage of the system, but there are some people who truly need it. We will always pay taxes anyway so who cares who the money goes to. Don't be so quick to judge. Just so you know I am not on any assistance, and I pay taxes just like you do.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hampton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 17 min Nostrilis Waxman 1,154,317
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr Earthling-1 49,238
Is Illinois couple's murder tied to bankruptcy ... (Oct '08) Sat hounddogsniffin 4
Naughty cam fun with females. Sat lordbarty 1
Older women for skype Sat lordbarty 1
Hampton mayor's participation in protest march ... Fri WTF 6
Hampton looks for more math teachers Fri meh 40
Hampton Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Hampton People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Hampton News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Hampton

Personal Finance