Newport News woman raped as she left ...

Newport News woman raped as she left for work, police say

There are 30 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Aug 8, 2008, titled Newport News woman raped as she left for work, police say. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

A 24-year-old Newport News woman was leaving her apartment for work Friday when a man confronted her, pushed her back inside, tied her up with her own clothing and raped her "multiple times," police said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
ShelleyS

Hampton, VA

#1 Aug 8, 2008
What a creep - I hope the police catch him before he strikes again. If you recognize the loser, please call the Crime Line, don't let him get away with this!
VA Conservative

United States

#3 Aug 8, 2008
How unfortunate. I'm glad the young woman survived the encounter, and more importantly - that her child was not harmed. Yet another good arguement for armed self defense. I'm guessing that she's not his first victim.
BOB

Newport News, VA

#5 Aug 8, 2008
Shoot this piece of crap on sighting!
Conservative in NN

Norfolk, VA

#7 Aug 8, 2008
Crimes against women are particularily disturbing. This individual certainly would not care what race, age, or marital status his victim is. This is a sick puppy to rape a woman with a child in her arms. But a 40 year old man with a thin (manicured?) mustache just doesn't sound right. This man needs to be found, evaluated, treated, and locked up to prevent a repeat of today. How sad for the mother and child, and for the community who must now live in fear. Would more police have prevented this? Would she have even had time to use a weapon? I think that is why he chose a woman with a child, knowing the child would be her first priority and herself secondly.
Too close to Home

El Dorado, CA

#8 Aug 8, 2008
Unfortunately it takes a disturbing occurrence to remind everyone to be aware of their surroundings and not to keep a morning and evening routine. Now I am going to be in fear while I leave my house and walk to the car, until they catch this piece of garbage.
We have police officers that live in the area, so that's not the issue. Our area is a relatively safe neighborhood.
Hopefully the woman will be able to overcome mentally and emotionally the wrong that has been done to her.
B Evans

Norfolk, VA

#11 Aug 9, 2008
Once again, if the victim had produced a firearm, the outcome could have been entirely different. The police are only there to investigate what had already happened.
shadowtraveller

United States

#12 Aug 9, 2008
This person knew his "target" watching her every morning, knowing that she was a busy mother. All too often each one of us does the same thing every day, not ever thinking that by our very actions (which are correct by our standards)that we are setting ourselves up to become the pray of those who don't give a DAMN about ANY of us. This person needs to be CAUGHT and soon. Btw, this woman, is a hero. Through her, she will help get this (insert word here) off the streets.
AWFUL

United States

#13 Aug 9, 2008
I wish the following.
1. The victim find some piece after this brutal attack.
2. The attacker finds a brutal, painful, slow death at the hands of a 300 inmate named BIG BUBBA and a broom handle.
antipc

Quinton, VA

#14 Aug 9, 2008
If there were just more community centers.....
The Problem

Chesapeake, VA

#15 Aug 9, 2008
The problem with Young's Mill Apartments is at the back of the complex there is a cut through walking path that residents of nearby Aqueduct Apartments use. So the bad element from that neighbor hoods spills over to the neighboring community. I have seen multiple reports in the last few months of shootings at Aqueduct apartments and nearby Colony Rd. I actually considered that complex when relocating to Newport News because of the affordability. Don't mean to be ugly but the criminal element in that area is a real parasite. I hope something can be done about it before someone else is victimized. This young lady is very brave and I am happy that she is safe and sound now.
W_T_F

Newport News, VA

#16 Aug 9, 2008
H.G. opens his racist piehole and tada
Marilee

Hampton, VA

#18 Aug 9, 2008
As a young single woman the same age as the victim this really unnerved me. I too live alone in Newport News. I hope they catch the bastard soon and the victim can find peace with this horrible crime.
Buzz

Yorktown, VA

#19 Aug 9, 2008
The probability of serious injury from a criminal confrontation is 2.5 times greater for women offering no resistance than resisting with a gun.

The US Department of Justice's National Crime Victimization Survey has shown for decades that resistance with a gun is by far the safest course of action when one is confronted by a criminal.

Guns save lives
Richard

Norfolk, VA

#20 Aug 9, 2008
The description of this guy sounds a little quirky and fishy...Hate to broach this, but are they sure she's not making this up? I guess the hospital would be able to tell that she was in fact raped, so I take it it's a true story...It just sounds a bit bizarre, that's all.
newport news

Newport News, VA

#21 Aug 9, 2008
If and when he is found he should be tied down. Then cut his thing off and let him bleed to death slowly. They should do this to ALL rapist.
Angie

Newport News, VA

#22 Aug 9, 2008
This is definitely the kind of crime that everyone needs to be concerned about. As sad as it is, most of the violent crime around here isn't attacks on strangers; it's drug related and most often the criminal/victims have a history with one another. This type of random crime is the real threat for most of us. I hope the police find the suspect soon.
WBC040

Norfolk, VA

#24 Aug 9, 2008
What's truely sad (other than what happened to this poor woman) is that nothing will happen to this loser. It will drag on and on for years and then no justice. Another criminal beating the system. As I have said over and over, Until the courts change that will lock these criminals, thugs, etc up for more than a few days nothing will change and will continue to get worse.

“"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain" ”

Since: Jul 07

MN -now- Hampton Roads

#26 Aug 9, 2008
Considering that rapists usually are repeat offenders - when they get them behind bars they should keep them there until they are 80 years old or dead, which ever comes first.

“OMG quit fussin!!!”

Since: Jan 08

Poq. and Proud of it

#27 Aug 9, 2008
That is terrible that she had to go through this. I hope that they find this POS and soon...guess what folks-that isn't EastEnd. It is bubbling over like a cess pool.
Quagmire

Saluda, VA

#28 Aug 9, 2008
Cut off his "johnson"!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hampton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min VetnorsGate 1,460,188
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 2 hr Into The Night 62,353
News Scientists say they have proved climate change ... (Dec '08) 3 hr ChromiuMan 7,948
I remember in Hampton (Jan '08) 14 hr Jerry 831
News Desperate debtors are ripe targets (Aug '08) 18 hr I Am The Problem 130
News Cops, in trouble with law, taint drop in crime (Jan '09) Dec 6 martin garey 24
News Williamsburg police increasing crosswalk patrols (Nov '08) Dec 4 Ayers 3

Hampton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hampton Mortgages