Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1236067 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

Homer 2016

East Stroudsburg, PA

#874538 Mar 15, 2013
carol wrote:
I feel a lot safer now.
It's like a heavyweight has been lifted from my shoulders.
Passed a little gas?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#874539 Mar 15, 2013
carol wrote:
<quoted text>
The New Republic (TNR) is a liberal American magazine of commentary on politics and the arts published continuously since 1914.
lol

The Ryan Budget’s Sigh of Resignation

Writing in the New Republic, in 2005, less than a year after the reelection of George W. Bush had left many liberals feeling that they’d lost the “war of ideas,” Jonathan Chait, as ever contrary, insisted that there was no need for “new” ideas. The old ones, so to speak, were just fine. What the center-left lacked was the power to enact them:

It’s one thing for Democrats to sketch out the sort of alternatives they would prefer if they ran Washington. But, as long as Republicans do run Washington—and certainly as long as Bush sits in the Oval Office—doing nothing is often going to be the best available scenario for liberals. Emphasizing the downside of bad change rather than the upside of positive change reflects political necessity, not intellectual failure.

I thought of Chait’s piece as I read through House Budget Committee Chairman Paul Ryan’s latest annual budget resolution, otherwise known as “The Path to Prosperity.” If you pulled Ryan aside and threw the Lasso of Truth around him, I imagine he’d say something very like what Chait expressed in 2005:“I like my ideas. I could have done a lot more to realize them if I were vice president. But for now, I have to wait.”

The Ryan budget has two overarching policy objectives: 1) Entitlement reform: specifically, putting a limit on Medicare’s annual budget and giving states a lot more flexibility over their Medicaid rolls; and 2) radically simplifying the tax code.

Ryan is no fool; he knows there is no chance the Obama administration will accept Medicare premium support or Medicaid block-granting. But it’s what he believes should be done, and so he’s proposing it as a matter of course. There is, however, a sliver of hope that Republicans will reach an agreement with Obama on tax reform. As Ezra Klein has noticed, Ryan’s budget is vaguer in this area than it had been. A top tax rate of 25 percent is not a hard plank, but rather a “goal” he’d like Congress to “achieve.”

Add that wiggle room to Ryan’s remark yesterday that he has no desire to relitigate the fiscal cliff battle over revenue, and you have a white smoke signal that says,“On taxes, we might be able to do some business.”

Some of my favorite Ryan-watchers, like Ross Douthat and James Pethokoukis, had clearly been hoping that Ryan would produce something fresher and less straitened than he did. I appreciate where they’re coming from, and yet, perhaps too charitably, I’m reading in the Ryan Budget 3.0 a Chait-like sigh of resignation—of resignation to, as he has put it more than once since losing in November, the “reality of divided government.”

Aside from its base-stroking unrealism about a balanced budget in 10 years, there is a subtle sort of realism about this new Ryan budget. In its very lack of creative “new ideas,” there is an admission that “The Path to Prosperity” no longer has the magic-rabbit power it had after the 2010 midterm election. It’s a budget document scarcely worth more than the PDF pixels in which it’s displayed.

I think Ryan knows this, and expended very little effort to hide the fact.

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/the-ry...

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
GOPIdiots

Pompano Beach, FL

#874540 Mar 15, 2013
Homer 2016 wrote:
<quoted text>Sounds like reading or watching any 'news' story from Fox News, best to view with a ton of skepticism.
***Public service message***
~Always fact check news stories from Fox News~
***End transmission***
Carol turns off critical filter when she turns on FOX.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#874541 Mar 15, 2013
This is a question that most conservatives seem not to have thought about at all. Why do conservatives think inequality has risen over the last four decades? What caused middle-class wage stagnation? Is it that the government is too big and tax rates are too high? If so, why was inequality lower and wage growth stronger back when tax rates were higher?

Middle class wages seem to be stagnating for reasons that the government cannot fix by cutting spending. Republicans' failure to grapple with this truth has led them to advance a budget proposal that only makes the problem worse.

Democrats, meanwhile, have an agenda to deal with widening inequality: a stronger safety net (actually stronger, not "stronger" in the Orwellian sense that Ryan uses the word) financed by higher taxes on people with high incomes.

Soul-searching Republicans have identified lots of problems with the party: "tone," an inability to relate to minorities, actual and perceived retrograde positions on social issues, a loss of credibility on foreign policy. These are all very real problems. But they pale in comparison to the fact that the party's economic agenda, as embodied in the latest Ryan budget, is simply terrible for the vast majority of Americans.

It's like the 1930s all over again: Republicans will be a minority party until they realize they must change their economic agenda to better serve more Americans.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-03-14/paul...

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: Feb 08

Spokane, WA

#874542 Mar 15, 2013
Homer 2016 wrote:
<quoted text>Not what DBWriter has left, basically we have Galt, Carol, Flack, Eman and Jimmy/Gunner/Waxatard with his stable of sock puppets. Although once in awhile some new rightwing retard will stumble in to post their racist and/or homophobic and/or anti-women rant.
"homo"
We do not have to wait for another right winger to spew his/her racist crap. The thread has the phoney, hypocrite, racist, you,
homo.
Peace
KMA

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
new yawk

Tonawanda, NY

#874543 Mar 15, 2013
Still "sucking down" peyote? Well, that explains it.

Try the Ayahuasca. It's the best in The Forest.

Sucking peyote grown under cow manure is like ordering pizza in a San Pedro Inn.

Or anything but the **Veal in a Five Star Italian Restaurant.

**Which I don't eat. But, if you like Veal ...
Native Pride wrote:
<quoted text>
It.. it was in my sweat lodge last weekend. It came to me in a dream that... I don't know how to say it... we sucked down about 12 peyote buttons each and the next thing you know I could see the entire conservative movement spread out before me on the prairie. Ever since then I've realized that I wasn't cut out to be a conservative. Well, old friend, there you have it.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
No Surprize

Seminole, FL

#874544 Mar 15, 2013
GOD wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, how would you feel if that cow you're married to decided to collect your Social Security after you're gone? If you take away the farm animals, there aren't any Republican women, are there?
Realtime is the authority on pets and farm animals. You looking for friends with the same mental disorder as fantasies as Realtime?

Spokane, WA

#874545 Mar 15, 2013
Peppy wrote:
<quoted text>
It makes their blood boil that no one can come close to O'Reilly's ratings. Not even close.
"Peppy"
MSNBC can not come up with a voice that comes close to Hannity, Brett, Greta, Shep or O'Reilly. For crying out loud the rerun of O'Reilly has more viewers than all the competition combined.
Peace

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Lily Boca Raton Fl

Boca Raton, FL

#874546 Mar 15, 2013
Homer 2016 wrote:
<quoted text>'histrionically paranoid boob', you just tagged every rightwinger on this thread.
That should garner at least 35 racy disagree means, and jimmy/gunner (did you notice I busted him about his pension?)
Lily Boca Raton Fl

Boca Raton, FL

#874547 Mar 15, 2013
EasyEed wrote:
<quoted text>
"homo"
We do not have to wait for another right winger to spew his/her racist crap. The thread has the phoney, hypocrite, racist, you,
homo.
Peace

KMA
Homers not a racist, phoney hypocrit.,,

KMART
Lily Boca Raton Fl

Boca Raton, FL

#874548 Mar 15, 2013
KMART!! That's autocorrect
Lily Boca Raton Fl

Boca Raton, FL

#874549 Mar 15, 2013
EasyEed wrote:
<quoted text>
"Peppy"
MSNBC can not come up with a voice that comes close to Hannity, Brett, Greta, Shep or O'Reilly. For crying out loud the rerun of O'Reilly has more viewers than all the competition combined.
Peace
All ya need is one big fat squealing pig to encompass the lot of them

Kmart
Lily Boca Raton Fl

Boca Raton, FL

#874550 Mar 15, 2013
Realtime wrote:
<quoted text>Ronald Reagan wanted the big tent and nutjobs like you have turned it into a teepee.
Who gives a flying fk about White House tours, airport tower closings in Central Florida are of more interest to me. BTW the Air Force Thunderbirds will appear at the beyond fabulous TICO Air Show March 22-24 and close the remainder of their schedule.
Plane crashed here, 3 people died in fiery crash at Ft lauderdale executive
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#874551 Mar 15, 2013
Homer 2016 wrote:
<quoted text>Sounds like reading or watching any 'news' story from Fox News, best to view with a ton of skepticism.
***End transmission***
So, which news sources does Homer accept as Gospel without checking the facts?

Spokane, WA

#874552 Mar 15, 2013
Homer 2016 wrote:
<quoted text>The bottom line is rightwingers need to be told what to think and how to process the days events as free thinking escapes them, hence O'Reilly's high tv ratings. I mean that's the bottom line.
"homo"
By chance are you actually referring to the left wingers who need a benevolent government to determine their health care choices? Those free thinkers?
Peace
KMA
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#874553 Mar 15, 2013
Homer 2016 wrote:
***End transmission***
Homer swears by Ed Schultz
new yawk

Tonawanda, NY

#874554 Mar 15, 2013
Dis ees a better story:

Did ju know dat Huevos Chabez wuss een lub wiff me?
Jes! When I turn heem down, he say I make hees Brown Eyess Blue!
So, I say: "Den whoos da Blue Eye Debil now"?
It wussa so funny! An new jawk make herself laugh !!!

Ees good da Dictator baster ees dead, eh!?

I sen heem hees faboreet song to play at hees bedside an funeral.
"Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue" sung by Richard Leigh.

PS Iffy ju wan jur storees be more realistic, den ju hab to stay wiff one Ethnic Genre anna not mix dem all inna one.
An jur Latino assen ees a no good either.

~ new jawk chica owt !!
Angelina San Pedro wrote:
Jes. Jes, Senor, I remember her. She sat.. over there by the door to the Men's Room. Jes, she ordered pizza but her Spanish was so bad I thought she asked for carp. Shee began screaming at me in Italian so Fredo had to come out of the kitchen and clunk her with the iron pan. Jes... jes, she fell down then. Djour welcome.
GOPidiots

Hollywood, FL

#874555 Mar 15, 2013
Lily Boca Raton Fl wrote:
<quoted text>
That should garner at least 35 racy disagree means, and jimmy/gunner (did you notice I busted him about his pension?)
Didn't know Gunner was back as Jimmy.
Is hypocrite still his favorite word?
Is he still the staunch independent?
LOL
Lily Boca Raton Fl

Boca Raton, FL

#874556 Mar 15, 2013
Peppy wrote:
<quoted text>
It makes their blood boil that no one can come close to O'Reilly's ratings. Not even close.
No it doesn't. You actually admit you watch him?
Lily Boca Raton Fl

Boca Raton, FL

#874557 Mar 15, 2013
GOPidiots wrote:
<quoted text>
Didn't know Gunner was back as Jimmy.
Is hypocrite still his favorite word?
Is he still the staunch independent?
LOL
I mentioned his cop pension and he said he's going to take his pension to a red state. That's gunner.

Btw, Scott Prouty is my hero!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hampton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr IB DaMann 53,580
I remember in Newport News (Dec '07) 7 hr Dave Nicholls 2,318
News Hampton looks for more math teachers (Aug '14) Sun Tiffany Balendore 55
News Hampton officer assaulted trying to arrest man ... Sun Tiffany Balendore 2
Lowes False Ads Sun Tiffany Balendore 3
News Overton, judge who oversaw Iverson's trial, dies (Jan '08) May 28 The Antithesis 27
News 'Wife Swap' brings new reality to King George f... (Apr '09) May 26 Olbert 154
More from around the web

Hampton People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]