Habitat for Humanity builds home in NN

Habitat for Humanity builds home in NN

There are 47 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Jul 24, 2007, titled Habitat for Humanity builds home in NN. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

Habitat for Humanity has partnered with Wal-Mart regional stores and Pepsi Bottling Group to build a home for a Newport News family.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

Since: Oct 07

Henrico County (Richmond)

#22 Oct 2, 2007
Ben B wrote:
<quoted text>
Wait...a fundraiser to benefit HFH...but I thought someone said above that Habitat sells their houses once completed, not gives them away?
Why do they need the money then???
Seriously? That's a serious question? Why do any nonprofits raise money? To survive... Nonprofits raise money to fund programs, pay salaries and operating expenses. The money doesn't stay in house.

This money raised goes toward the WalMart Distribution House. A Habitat House sponsored (paid for) by WalMart Distribution. Each house is sponsored by a group (company, faith, organization, etc) and constructed with volunteers. The homebuyer applicant then purchases the house interest-free from Habitat and the mortgage payments are cycled back out of Habitat to build more houses, purchase land, keep the office lights on, etc.

#23 Oct 2, 2007
Time for sum action wrote:
<quoted text>Love your answer.
Thanks Time for sum action. I had hoped I wasn't too harsh in that reply.
Time for sum action

Portsmouth, VA

#24 Oct 2, 2007
The Habitat house currently being built is on my block in the southeast community. What bothers me is yes there are areas in the southeast community were you have to be watchful of your children, but being a parent that should happen in any neighborhood.I applaud what Habitat does and the individuals that donate the land. It would be nice if people would stop jumping to conclusions so fast. Good luck HHB, and I'm unfortunately unable to apply for a habitat home but am more than willing to volunteer so if you need additional volunteers then just respond to this post and I'm on it.

#25 Oct 2, 2007
Time for sum action wrote:
The Habitat house currently being built is on my block in the southeast community. What bothers me is yes there are areas in the southeast community were you have to be watchful of your children, but being a parent that should happen in any neighborhood.I applaud what Habitat does and the individuals that donate the land. It would be nice if people would stop jumping to conclusions so fast. Good luck HHB, and I'm unfortunately unable to apply for a habitat home but am more than willing to volunteer so if you need additional volunteers then just respond to this post and I'm on it.
Habitat for Humanity has an awesome Volunteer Database that lets you sign up and receive email alerts if you're interested in volunteering. They're beginning two houses in the next month (WalMart/Pepsi and Ferguson are sponsors) but only the sponsor's employees/friends are scheduled to work/volunteer as of right now.

If you want to sign up at www.HelpHabitatForHumanity.org , Habitat will certainly alert you and the community when it needs the support.

#27 Oct 2, 2007
Ben B wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought they sold the houses....that would make it nonprofit, correct?
No, that would make it for profit if they sold the houses and the money just sat there to be spent on whatever. HFH would be a regular contractor or builder then.

What makes Habitat for Humanity a nonprofit (other than 501(c)3 status) is that the money comes in and goes right back out for the same programs for the low-income community. Less than 10% of funds raised go to operating expenses and salaries.
BGM

Charlotte, NC

#29 Oct 2, 2007
HFH Supporter wrote:
<quoted text>
Seriously? That's a serious question? Why do any nonprofits raise money? To survive... Nonprofits raise money to fund programs, pay salaries and operating expenses. The money doesn't stay in house.
This money raised goes toward the WalMart Distribution House. A Habitat House sponsored (paid for) by WalMart Distribution. Each house is sponsored by a group (company, faith, organization, etc) and constructed with volunteers. The homebuyer applicant then purchases the house interest-free from Habitat and the mortgage payments are cycled back out of Habitat to build more houses, purchase land, keep the office lights on, etc.
We have many vacant HFH homes in our area because the recepients don't understand the concept of mortage payments.
How are they supposed to when they've lived off welfare into the 3rd generation?
they move in for a couple of months and leave only to have the cycle repeated.
Is that slick or what????
Time For Sum Action

Newport News, VA

#30 Oct 2, 2007
BGM wrote:
<quoted text> We have many vacant HFH homes in our area because the recepients don't understand the concept of mortage payments.
How are they supposed to when they've lived off welfare into the 3rd generation?
Get off of trying to make a negative out of a positive thing.I am certain that there are more forclosed homes from those interest free for three yr loans than HHB homes. So what if they failed atleast they made an attempt in both instances. Most people get into these situations because they try to live outside of their means. So get off that NEGATIVE VIBE we've got enough of that in other forums. Sorry I forgot to say please. Please.
Time For Sum Action

Newport News, VA

#31 Oct 2, 2007
HFH Supporter wrote:
<quoted text>
Habitat for Humanity has an awesome Volunteer Database that lets you sign up and receive email alerts if you're interested in volunteering. They're beginning two houses in the next month (WalMart/Pepsi and Ferguson are sponsors) but only the sponsor's employees/friends are scheduled to work/volunteer as of right now.
If you want to sign up at www.HelpHabitatForHumanity.org , Habitat will certainly alert you and the community when it needs the support.
Thanks for the info.

#32 Oct 2, 2007
BGM wrote:
<quoted text> We have many vacant HFH homes in our area because the recepients don't understand the concept of mortage payments.
Wow! I've never heard of that happening before. It doesn't happen here. In 96 homes, Habitat Peninsula has had only one or two foreclosures. This local affiliate requires excellent credit and makes sure a mortgage payment will not be a huge increase in debt on the buyer. The mortgage payments locally for this affiliate are about $375 a month right now. The affiliate adds taxes and utilities and figures whether an applicant with a specified income will have to high an increase in debt to income.
Just the facts

Hampton, VA

#34 Oct 2, 2007
BGM wrote:
What a stupid comment. Assuming everything and knowing nothing. Another bitter-sounding ______.
Time For Sum Action

Newport News, VA

#35 Oct 2, 2007
HFH Supporter wrote:
<quoted text>
I've signed up but I have one other question for you. In one of your previous post you mentioned that the home owner had to put in atleast 400 hrs. I was wondering if the HHB has ever thought of in addition to building homes, could they develop a program which would help older home owners learn to refurbish their homes.
I know it may seem that I have an alterior motive here, which I do, I just know that there are alot of abled body young people who own homes in the southeast community and other areas of Hampton Roads that need work to them but cant afford to have it done. I think this could be a win win situation. Learn while working.
I will probably get a lot of negative responses for this post but really I dont care, I just know that most people take pride in what they develop with their own hands.

#36 Oct 2, 2007
zeke wrote:
How long does it take them to tear the place up?
What kinda... There are some really negative perceptions out there.

I don't know how Habitat for Humanity operates everywhere else, but here the houses don't get torn up. Each homebuyer is taken through such a strict process and after doing those 400 sweat equity hours, they genuinely appreciate the new house.

Perhaps some of you should try putting in 400 hours to help build the house you live in and see how the the experience changes you.
BGM

Charlotte, NC

#37 Oct 2, 2007
I'm going by what I've seen and what's on the local news.
Perhaps you have a different class of people there.
The homes,(HFH) in the Charlotte area are just as crime infested, and abandoned as the rest of the Ghettos.
I don't see the negativism..Unless it's politically Incorrect to make a simple observation.
It's still true.

#38 Oct 2, 2007
I dunno BGM. It's not a different economic class for sure but maybe another type of class. If the Habitat homes in Charlotte are like that, maybe the affiliate needs to do more to ensure the homebuyer is fully prepared to purchase the home. You're totally appropriate in your assessment though if that's the case in that area. Just note that it's not like that all over.

#39 Oct 2, 2007
Time For Sum Action wrote:
<quoted text>I've signed up but I have one other question for you. In one of your previous post you mentioned that the home owner had to put in atleast 400 hrs. I was wondering if the HHB has ever thought of in addition to building homes, could they develop a program which would help older home owners learn to refurbish their homes.
I know it may seem that I have an alterior motive here, which I do, I just know that there are alot of abled body young people who own homes in the southeast community and other areas of Hampton Roads that need work to them but cant afford to have it done. I think this could be a win win situation. Learn while working.
I will probably get a lot of negative responses for this post but really I dont care, I just know that most people take pride in what they develop with their own hands.
Time For Sum Action, that's a good idea and there are some organizations out there that help homeowners with repairs. As far as Habitat is concerned, that's something that'd need to be taken up with Habitat International if it were to be a program. As of now, Habitat only builds new homes for first-time low-income homebuyers. What a person could do, though, is spend some time on a construction site as a volunteer where the professional construction staff would be willing to offer verbal expertise and even a demonstration.

#40 Oct 2, 2007
Time For Sum Action wrote:
<quoted text>I've signed up but I have one other question for you. In one of your previous post you mentioned that the home owner had to put in atleast 400 hrs. I was wondering if the HHB has ever thought of in addition to building homes, could they develop a program which would help older home owners learn to refurbish their homes.
The local Redevelopment & Housing Authorities offer grants and similar for refurbishing in certain cases. They may offer similar programs for the typical homebuyer as well.
What up

United States

#41 Jun 26, 2012
HFH Supporter wrote:
<quoted text>
Jim,
Perhaps you should read up on your facts before voicing such an ignorant opinion about families who deserve to own a home as much as the next person. These homeowners have credit that is probably better than your own (it's REQUIRED to have $0 collections and a low debt/income ratio). Habitat for Humanity homes are not given away; they are SOLD at cost with zero interest to low-income families who cannot afford the $150k and up houses on the market.
So, Jim, these families have in fact "gotten off their lazy asses, saved money and purchased a house" just like the rest of us.
Do you think they have better credit than most because they get free medical, food stamps, section 8? They can save their money because all is paid for by someone else?
What up

United States

#42 Jun 26, 2012
Has Habitat for Humanity ever given a house to a white family?
Go Blue

Miami, FL

#43 Jul 16, 2012
What up wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you think they have better credit than most because they get free medical, food stamps, section 8? They can save their money because all is paid for by someone else?
Guess, they don't wanna answer that, eh?
Joe

Virginia Beach, VA

#44 Jul 16, 2012
Go Blue wrote:
<quoted text>Guess, they don't wanna answer that, eh?
Of course they dont! I have to laugh at the claim they have good credit! These leeches dont know what credit is. Save Up? they couldn't save for a stick of gum. They are just useful idiots.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hampton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 42 min Yeah 1,384,165
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 9 hr The Donald_ 59,545
Jessica Davis Grafton Station Apartments Sun Tommy 1
Dare Elementary School 1995-1998 Grafton Statio... Sun Tommy 1
News Facebook Feedback for Saturday, Oct. 22 from Da... (Oct '11) May 28 martin garey 18
DEFEND our BORDERS May 27 ILLEGALS GANGS CA... 1
News Three arrested in connection with Williamsburg ... (Jul '10) May 26 martin garey 23
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hampton Mortgages