Williamsburg Pottery property is off the market

Full story: Hampton Roads Daily Press

The 1,200 acres owned by the Williamsburg Pottery that have been for sale since April 18 are now off the market.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of25
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Trailer Trash

Newport News, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2008

Judged:

WHAT A SHAME!
No section 8 or tralier parks!
Chasesmom

Norfolk, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2008

I never understood what the draw was to that place, everyone always raved about it but I thought it was kind of dumpy.
Cher

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2008

Chasesmom wrote:
I never understood what the draw was to that place, everyone always raved about it but I thought it was kind of dumpy.
Kinda dumpy? Not kinda of! REALLY dumpy!
Auntiegenie

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2008

PHEW! Snooty Williamsburg will have to get used to this mess for a long time until the property market starts to move. Maybe they could build a Kingsmill II on it.
The entire pottery is the biggest DUMP on the East Coast and should be raized to the ground.
Add to that the rancid unemployment likely to happen very soon in Williamsburg, residents are free to move to Newport News and enjoy our vistas here!!
Lil J

New Concord, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2008

Auntiegenie wrote:
PHEW! Snooty Williamsburg will have to get used to this mess for a long time until the property market starts to move. Maybe they could build a Kingsmill II on it.
The entire pottery is the biggest DUMP on the East Coast and should be raized to the ground.
Add to that the rancid unemployment likely to happen very soon in Williamsburg, residents are free to move to Newport News and enjoy our vistas here!!
Williamsburg residents aren't snooty; we're just better than everyone else.

And I've never heard of "rancid" unemployment. I've smelled rancid garbage driving down I-64 when I get to Newport News, particularly near J Clyde Morris. Maybe if the garbage collectors in Williamsburg are laid off, they could be considered unemployed rancid garbage collectors (or "rancid unemployed" for short).
Tammy Drewry

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2008

I do not think the campground or the pottery is a dump. I do think that it needs some work. I love the area and the people. They are friendly and warm in the Williamsburg area. Clean it up and you more people will come and it will profit again. You have to spend money to make money.
ann

Woodbridge, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2008

I loved the Pottery years ago. Kind of a retail therapy fantasyland. Unfortunately haven't been able to get back down there for sometime. I agree it could use a little cosmetic cleanup but then again that's part of its' charm.
ann

Woodbridge, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2008

PS: We bought a set of dishes down there not long after we were married. Still eating dinner off those dishes 35+ year later. Still remember the day we bought them and had more fun than purchasing them in a mall or conventional store.
Roger Butcher

Heath, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2008

I was stationed at Langley AFB in the early 70's and I often went to the Pottery Factory. I loved the bargains and the atmosphere of the place, but when we went on vacation last year we stopped there and it was sad to see how it has gone downhill. I do remember thinking it would be a great place to build a modern building and have a flea market and also sell the work of Virginia and North Carolina craftsman.

JWG

Since: Jul 08

Williamsburg

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2008

Judged:

It has become a eyesore. Very few cars in parking lot now. It is time to knock it down and open up a very big Sonics!
Sandra Pabrezis

Chesapeake, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2008

I can't help but have a sense of sadness as I read some of the comments concerning the Pottery. In a day an age when icons of American life are being stripped away for megamalls and franchise eyesores we should be encouraging the ownership of the Pottery to forge ahead,if they can, to re-establish the wonderful enviroment of The Pottery. Our American legacy is being leveled one section at a time.

Since: May 08

Bloomville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 13, 2008

Sandra Pabrezis wrote:
I can't help but have a sense of sadness ... In a day an age when icons of American life are being stripped away for megamalls and franchise eyesores... Our American legacy is being leveled one section at a time.
Exactly what I was thinking. I too was stationed at NNSBDD in the 70s. Williamsburg wasn't as "hoity toity" back then, and I'm sure the area LOVED all the sales tax revenue from out-of-towners arriving by the bus load at the less than beautiful retail spot. It truly was an icon .. probably more important to some visitors than Colonial Williamsburg. And of course that was before all the faux factory outlets opened.

We too have dishware purchased back then still used daily.

I also support some way of keeping it a place for local manufacture & craftsmanship and a retail ooutlet too.
Non-snooty Williamsburger

Norfolk, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2008

The pottery is iconic. No, the prices aren't low like they used to be, most items are cheaper at Walmart. No, they don't have too many friendly or english speaking employees or any kind of customer service at all. But I love the pottery. I kind of like the dumpiness element and it's gotten better there over the past five years or so. It's the best place for tea lovers to find a huge selection..hot sauce and basket fans too.

The pottery is unique. Rancid? Um..no. Sure, it could be much better and remain a unique shopping experience, but I love the pottery.
Chillin in da burg

Williamsburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2008

maybe we should make it a big paintball facility,,that way we can get our bosses and wives out there to play,,lay down some paint,,or make it a 4X4 course,,,just a thought,,

Since: May 08

Laurens, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2008

Chillin in da burg wrote:
... make it a big paintball facility ... or make it a 4X4 course,,,just a thought,,
Not a bad idea, really. The Black and Decker store has been about the biggest draw for men, so yes, it does need more "manly" things to do. A little paint on the walls would do the place some good!
snoot in williamsburg

Norfolk, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2008

Judged:

Lil J wrote:
<quoted text>
Williamsburg residents aren't snooty; we're just better than everyone else.
And I've never heard of "rancid" unemployment. I've smelled rancid garbage driving down I-64 when I get to Newport News, particularly near J Clyde Morris. Maybe if the garbage collectors in Williamsburg are laid off, they could be considered unemployed rancid garbage collectors (or "rancid unemployed" for short).
Yes I agree we are just better!
snoot in williamsburg

Norfolk, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2008

Judged:

Yes I agree we are just better!
Donna Wilson

Virginia Beach, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 28, 2008

Judged:

I disagree with some comments, especially from visitors outside of Virginia who obviously do not have all of their facts straight. I have lived all of my life, and the one constant place in which my family has enjoyed shopping is the "Williamsurg Pottery". If I wanted to go to a strip mall, I would stay in the City in which I reside in. Part of the Pottery's charm was that it was not your typical shopping experience, and every item I purchased through the years has been reasonably priced.
While I do agree that it is sad to see that in recent years, the Pottery has not been properly maintained, I have hope that with proper management, it could be brought back to life. Lets all hope that happens because the last thing that we all need is another overpriced condominium or some giant superstore..
Vacationer from Ohio

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2008

My husband and I have travelled to Williamsburg to vacation for 25 years. We loved the Pottery in the 80's. Yes, It has gone downhill. I think it is a buying/purchasing problem. Somehow, management has lost sight of what their customers come there to purchase. The shelves aren't filled with the great bargains they used to be. I used to spend hundreds there each trip. Last summer, I didn't even spend $100. I came to buy decorations for my home unique to Virginia. Things I couldn't buy in Ohio. Very sad to see the downhill trend.
Tina

Virginia Beach, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2008

Chasesmom wrote:
It was always dumpy BUT it had an appeal because of all of the stuff that they had & the pricing was fabulous. Artificial flower arrangements to die for & at stunningly low prices. Picture framing.... Now other than a few items, you're better off at the discount houses. I bought beer glasses at the Pottery only to find them for much less at Costco...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of25
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

5 Users are viewing the Hampton Forum right now

Search the Hampton Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Nostrilis Waxman 1,034,200
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 20 min Mothra 43,007
VA VA Property Tax Exemption for Elderly and Disab... (Oct '10) 5 hr abe 1,350
Why do blacks get everything free? (Dec '12) 23 hr Huh 38
Special court rules against families who claim ... (Feb '09) Thu 100 percent frienduh 127
I served a 20 yr sentence for in Angola Apr 16 RW Anom 1
Police Say Woman Arrested After Found Intoxicat... Apr 16 Prissy 5
•••
•••
•••
Hampton Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Hampton Jobs

•••
•••