Mom accused of attacking daughter

Mom accused of attacking daughter

There are 33 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Apr 17, 2008, titled Mom accused of attacking daughter. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

A 23-year-old mother from Newport News has been accused of attacking her five-year-old daughter with a broken coat hangar.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“I HAVE SOME SPLAINING TO DO”

Since: Oct 07

Newport News VA

#23 Apr 18, 2008
You are sad wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow....guess your children really hate you. If you aren't intelligent enough to speak to your child and discipline through verbal communication and actions then you have no business being a parent. Only ignorant people beat their children because they aren't capable of using their intellect to solve a problem and are not capable of controlling their tempers. Parenting classes are offered throughout communities. I suggest you take one.
While I'm not a big fan of swatting a bottom, or bare leg I will and have done it. and may very well do it again if I deem it necessary. You know why, because I'm the MOMMY of my child.

What this woman did was wrong. However where I sit judging another mother for swatting a bottom, or bar leg is wrong as well.

With you thought process all children are tempered just alike and have the very same personalities so 'talking to them' will work on all. Raising children is a one size fits all thing with you, is that right? OK!
You are sad

Newport News, VA

#24 Apr 18, 2008
ol school wrote:
<quoted text>
And you are one of those narrow minded indivduals who twists the words of others to fit neatly into your own distorted view of the world. If after reading my reply, you had taken the time to consider why I replied, you, as would any rational person, have seen that I simply pointed out the error you made in referencing the Bible and nothing more--And, Bible is capitalized by the way. The truth is that I agree with most of what you say; however, I loath would-be experts of the Scriptures. And, though it is none of your business, I do not believe in physical or harsh verbal punishment of children because, as a child, my father made liberal use of the advise in Proverbs 13-24. But, I must admit that at times I deserved the whippings I received. Let's just say I was a difficult lad. A bit of advise for you--NEVER make assumptions! When you do, 1) you are almost always wrong--as you were with your statements about the Bible and me--2)often sound stupid or in your case come across as a ranting lunatic. I am enjoying this dialogue. Your turn! P.S. It might please you to know that I have a good relationship with my two adult daughters as I do with the 100 plus high school students I teach each year.
Um..I think you replied to the wrong person. I did not mention the bible whatsoever in my posting.
You are sad

Newport News, VA

#25 Apr 18, 2008
No Brainer wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you have any living children that actually live with you? And are they normal and/or not home schooled?...disregard any response, your initial comment already discloses it all.
I actually have a 7 year old boy and a 3 year old girl. I am a physician as well, so home schooling is not an option. Sorry to ruin your idea of who I am.

DHM

“Gotta Love Dave....”

Since: Jan 08

Hampton

#26 Apr 18, 2008
umw2010 wrote:
<quoted text>
Haha...I've had the discussion with my mom time and time again about how "the punishment should fit the crime." If a child bites, it's probably because he/she is doing something out of anger but he/she doesn't really know how it feels. Kudos on disciplining your child in a way that he understood and fixing the problem. I think a big problem with the world today is that parents are AFRAID of their children and they are AFRAID of disciplining them. Many parents make empty threats of punishment and children learn that they can do whatever they want and regardless of what Mommy and Daddy say, they aren't going to get punished. Like I said in my previous post, though, I do not condone child abuse in any way, shape or form. Please don't interpret this post to mean that beating children is okay. It's not. A spanking is NOT a beating, though.
Thanks, and I agree with you. No way do I condone abuse. In hindsight, however, I believe many acts of abuse are done out of angry parents that are fed up with their out of control children. Maybe in many cases, if parents just put that "fear" in them and actually disciplined them in the first place, there may not be as much abuse as we see today.
LADY in the ATL

Atlanta, GA

#27 Apr 18, 2008
Caring One wrote:
You know ol school everyone has there own interpretation of bible verses. But to think that Proverbs 13-34 means to take a coat hanger (plastic or wire) is just plain ignorant. I am from the old school wherein they were called whoopings meaning a switch or belt and even a shoe if you got in the way. Now I know the law today does not even allow you to use either now days, but as a parent in raising my child I was able to use both. You must use sound judgment in punishing children now days. Why would anyone think of using a coat hanger. Stop using the bible to try to make this correct, she is only 5 yrs. old.
Until He/She walks into their school and proceeds to shoot up the entire school classmates and teachers as well. Then we want to think back and say shoulda, woulda coulda...Too late for that !! I do not agree with abusing children, but I from experience being a child and also being a mother, know that alot of kids need their little azzes whipped, spanked whatever you want to call it, not only for the good of the community now, but also for your safety in the very near futute. Why is it that people seem to sit in judgement of others as if they have walked in their shoes for 1 day ? This article did not elaborate on any facts about the abuse, whether she just tapped the little girls bottom with the hanger or if she went off beating her all over her body and face, but you just came to your own conclusion, based on what some other nosey moron claims to have witness as abuse.. The only thing more I have to say about this is If you are truly concerned about this situation as well as child abuse, committ yourself to going someplace where you know kids are truly suffering and being abused and offer some help instead of making judgement calls, and maybe you will walk away with an entirely different perspective and sense of worth, instead of playing judge, jury and GOD !!

DHM

“Gotta Love Dave....”

Since: Jan 08

Hampton

#28 Apr 18, 2008
NIKI in NN wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL, I am the same way. My daughter pulled my hair and I pulled her right back and said, "How does it feel?" She didn't like it very much and never pulled hair again.. People, like the mother in this article, take it way too far with hangars and sometimes even belts. I use my hand when I HAVE to pop my kids. I don't like to to do it. I will do every other kind of discipline first but if they are still acting up they will get popped on the bottom. Or my son is 9, I will pop him wherever I can catch him..lol. He likes to try to run..Point is, my kids are great kids and lovely individuals..who get popped every so often when they act up, and nothing else has worked..
Yes, some parents take it way too far. Our kids are wonderful aren't they? Best wishes and love to you and yours!!

“Boldly going nowhere...”

Since: Oct 07

Newport News, VA

#29 Apr 18, 2008
DHM wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, some parents take it way too far. Our kids are wonderful aren't they? Best wishes and love to you and yours!!
And to you ;)
lisalee

United States

#30 Apr 18, 2008
Poor baby, I hope the child is ok.
PAINTER AGAIN

Hampton, VA

#31 Apr 22, 2008
YOU GOT THESE PARENTS THAT WALK AT LEAST 10 FEET AHEAD OF THERE SMALL KIDS,,,AND THEIR SMALL LITTLE FEET TRY SO HARD TO KEEP UP. THEN THEY TURN AROUND AND HANK THEIR LITTLE ARMS TO KEEP UP THEM. SAD! THEY CUSS THEM OUT IN STORES AND TREAT THEM SO BAD IN FRONT OF PEOPLE AND FEEL LIKE THAT THESE KIDS ARE IN THEIR IN LIFE. SAD! THEY WALK AROUND STORES AND IN NAIL SALONS AND PAY LITTLE OR NO ATTENTION THEM AT ALL.SAD! SO THEY BEAT THE KIDS WITH A HANGER AND THINK IT'S OK ,LIKE ALL THE OTHER CRAP THEY DO TO THEM NOT RELIZING THESE ARE KIDS,,,A PART OF YOU!!!SAD!
PAINTER AGAIN

Hampton, VA

#32 Apr 22, 2008
i made some small errors in my message above,,,,,,but you get the idea,,,some of these young girls suck!when it come to how to treat their own kids. but they run after these guys like they are gold and treat their kids like crap!and always got a cell phone in their ear and ignoring the kids while catching a bus.go figure!
Been There

Fredericksburg, VA

#33 Apr 26, 2008
GNW wrote:
<quoted text>
Beating your kid with a coat hanger is abuse...When you do something wrong at work or in your life as an adult, does anyone hit you? can you imagine if everytime you did something wrong or anytime your boss was pissed off that he struck you?
How would you feel? Would you learn anything from it?
The bible does not say to beat the crap out of your kids. People who hit their children, jerk them around by the arm, degrade them with words do not really love their children. You may tell yourself, I Love You, that is why I am striking you. You are ignorant.
Very powerfull in my current state of mind. I can still remember how ashamed I felt after being struck or when my brother was struck. Each was a defining moment, especially when it's family doing the things you mentioned. Talk about your flashbacks!
Cherokee

Newport News, VA

#34 Apr 16, 2013
Corporal punishment should NOT be legal anywhere in the United States! Because you call yourself a parent does not give you the right to abuse children. There are more children tortured and killed now than ever before because idiots think that they have the right! I know several adults who were beaten as children and they are nothing but worthless ignorant thugs as adults so beating does not insure good behavior. If an adult hits an adult they will go to jail but they can hit their children and it's okay? Something is wrong with this picture! ANYONE who hits children should be prosecuted and their children given to someone who deserves to have them.
standagainstabus e

Newport News, VA

#35 May 18, 2013
Cherokee wrote:
Corporal punishment should NOT be legal anywhere in the United States! Because you call yourself a parent does not give you the right to abuse children. There are more children tortured and killed now than ever before because idiots think that they have the right! I know several adults who were beaten as children and they are nothing but worthless ignorant thugs as adults so beating does not insure good behavior. If an adult hits an adult they will go to jail but they can hit their children and it's okay? Something is wrong with this picture! ANYONE who hits children should be prosecuted and their children given to someone who deserves to have them.
I completely agree with you about that! I was NEVER spanked when I was a child. I am 41 now..and never did anything bad as a kid. My dads voice is what kept me in line. I also do not spank my own children. I have a 22 year old who graduated hs 2 years early..finished college within 3 years..owns a computer company and is doing great. NEVER spanked him even once, and he was never bad. My 11 year old is super smart..has a smart alec mouth at times..but then again..so do I! Never spank him either..and he is well adjusted and behaves just fine. My 5 year old daughter has also never been spanked..and she also has never thrown a tantrum..or been unruly. Its how you parent that matters. Show your children love and give them a happy life..dont allow your stress to invade their lives..I am a childrens advocate..have worked with many different womens and childrens organizations..and have seen MANY devastating cases of abuse. I have a husband, and several close friends who had small children who were murdered by some lowlife who beat them to death..People spank when they are angry..and anger leads to abuse..and death. I dont know what happened to the woman this topic was originally about..but I do hope that child is living a safe and happy life now..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hampton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min sonicfilter 1,264,719
News Virginia Beach restaurant owner charged with ru... (Aug '10) 5 hr preach 74
Flashing Boobs 20 hr Martin garey 2
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) Sun budd 54,341
News Hampton pastor's trip sparks interfaith dialogue Sun flame of truth 2
gay teens who wanna bang (Jan '15) Sun 17m Chesapeake 20
News Mathews County: Former state trooper accused of... (Jan '10) Jul 31 Moon Virginia 314
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hampton Mortgages