Mom accused of attacking daughter

Mom accused of attacking daughter

There are 33 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Apr 17, 2008, titled Mom accused of attacking daughter. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

A 23-year-old mother from Newport News has been accused of attacking her five-year-old daughter with a broken coat hangar.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
MOVING OUT

United States

#2 Apr 18, 2008
Guess she got in the way of American Idol.
Nicole

Church View, VA

#4 Apr 18, 2008
It sounds like Shauntia (Mommy DUMBEST) tried to re-inact the notorious coat hanger scene from the movie "Mommie Dearest". The only difference is Faye Dunaway beat her daughter with a wire hanger, not a plastic one.

Check out the "coat hanger" scene:
http://youtube.com/watch...

If the link doesn't work just go to youtube and type in "Mommie Dearest Bipolar Mix"
Kirk

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#5 Apr 18, 2008
Anyone actually know what the law states for spanking or have we all be legislated into the provide carrots but no sticks for raising our children.
GNW

Carrollton, VA

#6 Apr 18, 2008
Kirk wrote:
Anyone actually know what the law states for spanking or have we all be legislated into the provide carrots but no sticks for raising our children.
Beating your kid with a coat hanger is abuse...When you do something wrong at work or in your life as an adult, does anyone hit you? can you imagine if everytime you did something wrong or anytime your boss was pissed off that he struck you?
How would you feel? Would you learn anything from it?

The bible does not say to beat the crap out of your kids. People who hit their children, jerk them around by the arm, degrade them with words do not really love their children. You may tell yourself, I Love You, that is why I am striking you. You are ignorant.
ol school

Somerville, VA

#7 Apr 18, 2008
GNW wrote:
<quoted text>
Beating your kid with a coat hanger is abuse...When you do something wrong at work or in your life as an adult, does anyone hit you? can you imagine if everytime you did something wrong or anytime your boss was pissed off that he struck you?
How would you feel? Would you learn anything from it?
The bible does not say to beat the crap out of your kids. People who hit their children, jerk them around by the arm, degrade them with words do not really love their children. You may tell yourself, I Love You, that is why I am striking you. You are ignorant.
"Spare the rod, spoil the child" is found in Proverbs 13-24. I guess you forgot about that one.
umw2010

Annandale, VA

#8 Apr 18, 2008
ol school wrote:
<quoted text>
"Spare the rod, spoil the child" is found in Proverbs 13-24. I guess you forgot about that one.
There is a FINE LINE between abuse and discipline. My parents spanked me plenty of times when I was little, and, truth be told, I deserved it. They never abused me and I always felt loved by my parents. To this day, I have done well in school, I work hard, and I haven't gotten in trouble with the law. Had I been allowed to do what I wanted and received no punishment for it, I would probably have gotten into trouble by now. Truly, as stubborn as I was when I was little, I don't really think other punishments would have worked on me. I'm more than okay with the idea of spanking children. Abusing them, however, is out of the question.
You are sad

Newport News, VA

#9 Apr 18, 2008
ol school wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow....guess your children really hate you. If you aren't intelligent enough to speak to your child and discipline through verbal communication and actions then you have no business being a parent. Only ignorant people beat their children because they aren't capable of using their intellect to solve a problem and are not capable of controlling their tempers. Parenting classes are offered throughout communities. I suggest you take one.

“Boldly going nowhere...”

Since: Oct 07

Newport News, VA

#10 Apr 18, 2008
umw2010 wrote:
<quoted text>
There is a FINE LINE between abuse and discipline. My parents spanked me plenty of times when I was little, and, truth be told, I deserved it. They never abused me and I always felt loved by my parents. To this day, I have done well in school, I work hard, and I haven't gotten in trouble with the law. Had I been allowed to do what I wanted and received no punishment for it, I would probably have gotten into trouble by now. Truly, as stubborn as I was when I was little, I don't really think other punishments would have worked on me. I'm more than okay with the idea of spanking children. Abusing them, however, is out of the question.
Very well said, I totally agree with you..

Newport News, VA

#11 Apr 18, 2008
You are sad wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow....guess your children really hate you. If you aren't intelligent enough to speak to your child and discipline through verbal communication and actions then you have no business being a parent. Only ignorant people beat their children because they aren't capable of using their intellect to solve a problem and are not capable of controlling their tempers. Parenting classes are offered throughout communities. I suggest you take one.
You are sad if you feel you need to judge someone else. It's people like you who get innocent parents in trouble if you see them pop their childs bottom in the store. You handle your child and we'll handle ours. We don't abuse our children and we are no less smart than anyone else. Take your judgemental attitude somewhere else..
Caring One

Huntsville, AL

#12 Apr 18, 2008
You know ol school everyone has there own interpretation of bible verses. But to think that Proverbs 13-34 means to take a coat hanger (plastic or wire) is just plain ignorant. I am from the old school wherein they were called whoopings meaning a switch or belt and even a shoe if you got in the way. Now I know the law today does not even allow you to use either now days, but as a parent in raising my child I was able to use both. You must use sound judgment in punishing children now days. Why would anyone think of using a coat hanger. Stop using the bible to try to make this correct, she is only 5 yrs. old.
ol school

Somerville, VA

#13 Apr 18, 2008
You are sad wrote:
<quoted text>
And you are one of those narrow minded indivduals who twists the words of others to fit neatly into your own distorted view of the world. If after reading my reply, you had taken the time to consider why I replied, you, as would any rational person, have seen that I simply pointed out the error you made in referencing the Bible and nothing more--And, Bible is capitalized by the way. The truth is that I agree with most of what you say; however, I loath would-be experts of the Scriptures. And, though it is none of your business, I do not believe in physical or harsh verbal punishment of children because, as a child, my father made liberal use of the advise in Proverbs 13-24. But, I must admit that at times I deserved the whippings I received. Let's just say I was a difficult lad. A bit of advise for you--NEVER make assumptions! When you do, 1) you are almost always wrong--as you were with your statements about the Bible and me--2)often sound stupid or in your case come across as a ranting lunatic. I am enjoying this dialogue. Your turn! P.S. It might please you to know that I have a good relationship with my two adult daughters as I do with the 100 plus high school students I teach each year.
ol school

Somerville, VA

#14 Apr 18, 2008
umw2010 wrote:
<quoted text>
Concur. Could not have said it better myself.

DHM

“Gotta Love Dave....”

Since: Jan 08

Hampton

#15 Apr 18, 2008
NIKI in NN wrote:
<quoted text>
Very well said, I totally agree with you..
Agreed. I am lucky in the sense that my son is so afraid of what I "will" do, he's a saint (well, for the most part). But that's my son, I've only had to spank him once - he's 9. I did bite him once, though. He decided to bite me one day, and I picked him up and bit him right back. Funny thing - he never bit anyone before or after that. Amazing how that works. Every child is different. Now my childhood, that's a whole 'nother story. I was rotten and got spanked fairly often. Guess what? I've been a pretty good citizen and mother too. NOt to boast, but I don't get in trouble, and my son is well behaved, and we have fun together.
ol school

Somerville, VA

#16 Apr 18, 2008
Caring One wrote:
You know ol school everyone has there own interpretation of bible verses. But to think that Proverbs 13-34 means to take a coat hanger (plastic or wire) is just plain ignorant. I am from the old school wherein they were called whoopings meaning a switch or belt and even a shoe if you got in the way. Now I know the law today does not even allow you to use either now days, but as a parent in raising my child I was able to use both. You must use sound judgment in punishing children now days. Why would anyone think of using a coat hanger. Stop using the bible to try to make this correct, she is only 5 yrs. old.
Again, you are another person you did not take the time to understand why I replied. I never use the Bible to support of justify anything I do or say. I was replying to the blogger who did and did so in error. I do know this, the "rod" referred to in ancient text was usually a stick 3 to 4 feet in length and about the diameter of your thumb. If you had the choice between that rod and a plastic coat hanger, which one would you prefer as an instrument of punishment. I prefer Time-out myself.
oh my

Yorktown, VA

#17 Apr 18, 2008
ol school wrote:
<quoted text>
It is dangerous to interpret things literally...

http://parentingbythebook.com/index.php...
Justice4all

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#18 Apr 18, 2008
She needs to do some time behind bars.
umw2010

Annandale, VA

#19 Apr 18, 2008
DHM wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed. I am lucky in the sense that my son is so afraid of what I "will" do, he's a saint (well, for the most part). But that's my son, I've only had to spank him once - he's 9. I did bite him once, though. He decided to bite me one day, and I picked him up and bit him right back. Funny thing - he never bit anyone before or after that. Amazing how that works. Every child is different. Now my childhood, that's a whole 'nother story. I was rotten and got spanked fairly often. Guess what? I've been a pretty good citizen and mother too. NOt to boast, but I don't get in trouble, and my son is well behaved, and we have fun together.
Haha...I've had the discussion with my mom time and time again about how "the punishment should fit the crime." If a child bites, it's probably because he/she is doing something out of anger but he/she doesn't really know how it feels. Kudos on disciplining your child in a way that he understood and fixing the problem. I think a big problem with the world today is that parents are AFRAID of their children and they are AFRAID of disciplining them. Many parents make empty threats of punishment and children learn that they can do whatever they want and regardless of what Mommy and Daddy say, they aren't going to get punished. Like I said in my previous post, though, I do not condone child abuse in any way, shape or form. Please don't interpret this post to mean that beating children is okay. It's not. A spanking is NOT a beating, though.
No Brainer

Opa Locka, FL

#20 Apr 18, 2008
You are sad wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you have any living children that actually live with you? And are they normal and/or not home schooled?...disregard any response, your initial comment already discloses it all.

Newport News, VA

#21 Apr 18, 2008
DHM wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL, I am the same way. My daughter pulled my hair and I pulled her right back and said, "How does it feel?" She didn't like it very much and never pulled hair again.. People, like the mother in this article, take it way too far with hangars and sometimes even belts. I use my hand when I HAVE to pop my kids. I don't like to to do it. I will do every other kind of discipline first but if they are still acting up they will get popped on the bottom. Or my son is 9, I will pop him wherever I can catch him..lol. He likes to try to run..Point is, my kids are great kids and lovely individuals..who get popped every so often when they act up, and nothing else has worked..

“I HAVE SOME SPLAINING TO DO”

Newport News VA

#22 Apr 18, 2008
umw2010 wrote:
<quoted text>
So true, so very true.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hampton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min Grey Ghost 1,417,681
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr Earthling-1 61,018
Why do blacks get everything free? (Dec '12) Aug 22 Shut up 113
I remember in Newport News (Dec '07) Aug 19 vadrill 2,347
african arrival day Aug 19 alkazar 1
News Girl pulled from Great Wolf Lodge pool dies (Jun '07) Aug 14 K Ryuzaki 63
Looking for Bonnie Pasquino Aug 14 Tracer 1

Hampton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hampton Mortgages