Two people shot in Newport News overnight

Full story: Hampton Roads Daily Press

Newport News police are investigating an overnight shooting on Hustings Lane near Old Courthouse Way in the Denbigh section of the city.
Comments
1 - 20 of 140 Comments Last updated Sep 10, 2012
First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Git-a-Grip

Hampton, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2008

In the Ghetto...............
Denbigh

Newport News, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2008

Right there in the section 8 housing behind the old Hill's Department store.
And we wonder why that area is dead?

Because if you go there to shop ... you just may be the same!
here we go again

Portsmouth, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2008

*Number 1**. No it's not the ghetto at all.

*Number 2**. There may be some units, townhomes out there that have residents with section 8 vouchers, but the vast majority are home owneres or paying full rent in the ammounts ranging from about $850-$1200 per month. Please check you facts before you start yapping that nonsence.
Nicole

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2008

You didn't know? Old Courthouse Way in the "new" ghetto. Sadly, last night's shootings in that area are of many more to come...just the sign of the times :(
Nicole

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2008

Oops...I meant to say Old Courthouse Way IS the "new" ghetto.
Tiwana Moore

Newport News, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2008

Vouchers?$1200/month. Who cares? The carnage continues. It used to be THE place to live but the cancer has spread.
Byron De Lay Beckwith

Virginia Beach, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2008

here we go again wrote:
*Number 2**. There may be some units, townhomes out there that have residents with section 8 vouchers, but the vast majority are home owneres or paying full rent in the ammounts ranging from about $850-$1200 per month. Please check you facts before you start yapping that nonsence.
I do have compassion for you plight. There are numerous homeowners in the townhome community formally known as Courthouse Green. It was a premier townhome community once. However, thanks to the direct and purposeful actions of former mayor Jessie Rattley, Denbigh has become the dumping ground for trash that grew out of the east end of Newport News.

The black community of the former city of Warwick were proud, honorable, hardworking people. They were property owners, taxpayers, and productive citizens. Unlike those forced upon the area by the actions of Jessie Rattley.

Now you have Denbigh as it exisits today. Thugs, punks, and social dependents. They have no investment in themselves or the community. They value life and liberty only to the extent of entitlements. Every one of them are quick to spout off their rights, but inquire about their responsibilities and they will quickly abandon the conversation or attempt to blame their plight on oppression.

As always, I extend my thanks to Jessie Rattley and Joe Frank for the destruction of Denbigh. Welcome to Ghetto on the Green!
Elvis

Newport News, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2008

and his mama cried.
Git-a-Grip wrote:
In the Ghetto..........
Elvis

Newport News, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2008

Mayor Joe's newest plan is to tear down the public housing at the waterfront in the east end and "redistribute" that population to Denbigh. Mayor Joe, we love you!
Byron De Lay Beckwith wrote:
<quoted text>
I do have compassion for you plight. There are numerous homeowners in the townhome community formally known as Courthouse Green. It was a premier townhome community once. However, thanks to the direct and purposeful actions of former mayor Jessie Rattley, Denbigh has become the dumping ground for trash that grew out of the east end of Newport News.
The black community of the former city of Warwick were proud, honorable, hardworking people. They were property owners, taxpayers, and productive citizens. Unlike those forced upon the area by the actions of Jessie Rattley.
Now you have Denbigh as it exisits today. Thugs, punks, and social dependents. They have no investment in themselves or the community. They value life and liberty only to the extent of entitlements. Every one of them are quick to spout off their rights, but inquire about their responsibilities and they will quickly abandon the conversation or attempt to blame their plight on oppression.
As always, I extend my thanks to Jessie Rattley and Joe Frank for the destruction of Denbigh. Welcome to Ghetto on the Green!
NN res

Newport News, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2008

here we go again wrote:
Your ISP states VABeach .. maybe you haven't been there in a while .. it for sure is ghetto. Pawn Shops, Pay Day Loans abound, X Rated gift shops and boutiques, Bus station. Numerous numerous shootings, drug busts and other crime.
If your paying 1200 for that hole !! They SAW you coming and are laughing to the bank every month.
Ghetto is as ghetto does.

“I HAVE SOME SPLAINING TO DO”

Since: Oct 07

Newport News VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2008

This is really sad. There was a shooting in that neck of the woods not a week (7 days) ago. Courthouse Green use to be a nice place to live. Not now. Denbigh is becoming the new 'Southeast Community'.
Butch E

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2008

My wife and I moved to Newport News, VA 08-2001 from Charlottesville, VA. Not knowing the area very well we moved to the Denbigh area. In the complex we move to off Jefferson near Richneck Road. In our apt complex teens slashed the tires on a Police car, the officer lived on the complex. Broke into another officer car and stole the computor. this happen 2 years ago. We moved! But in the process of searching for a safer place to live we went to Courthose Green not knowing the history we found out pretty soon that the area had a lot of crime. We moved to JJC after talking to residents in Courthose Green that were trying to move out. I hate to say it, but it's pretty rough there. It is some very good people living there, but the are getting squeezed out by "don't give damn" attitude residents. I hope more Police patrols will calm the "Rising Crime" in Courthose Green.
BeProductive

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2008

Luuccy wrote:
This is really sad. There was a shooting in that neck of the woods not a week (7 days) ago. Courthouse Green use to be a nice place to live. Not now. Denbigh is becoming the new 'Southeast Community'.
Clarify yourself! When crime comes to your section of the city you want to link it to the east end of the city. How narrow minded! Crime is running rampant everywhere, pray that you don't look up one day and it's knocking on your door. Stop hating, blaming, and profiling. Become a part of the solution, "SHUT THE HE** UP" or put up.
Ghaml

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2008

It is comments like this that really bothers me about our society. Just because you were raise in an area does not mean you are a thug, punk or anything else.

For the many ignorant comments about section 8 Voucher..are you aware that more than 98% of the recipents hold degress and actually have full time professional. I know three persons living in that area one incidentally lives in the 400 block of Hustings Ln and happens to be a nurse(LPN)..the other two are retired government workers oh and yes they are all black. Yes there was a shooting Sunday not in courthouse green. The shooting occurred in Woodbridge Apt and the victim ran and collapse on Husting Ln. And the victim from that shooting was from VA. Beach. Crime can occur anywhere. Check the daily press crime stats there are just as many crimes in "all" white and black upper class neighborhoods. Please stop sterotyping when you don't know or have any clue to the fact!!! And never allow ignorance to drive your motivation
zipit

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2008

Elvis wrote:
Mayor Joe's newest plan is to tear down the public housing at the waterfront in the east end and "redistribute" that population to Denbigh. Mayor Joe, we love you!
<quoted text>
It is a known fact that the white population in Newport News has been trying to sop up the waterfront at the bottom for as long as I've been born. For it to be so bad at that end, why? You dam* sure aren't going to be fooolish enough to try to walk on water are you? Gate that community for the wealthy and so called better than not's, and the city will see a backlash from the black residents never known before. What is disgusting,vile,and violent will take on a new meaning.
Honker

Newport News, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2008

Decent people in NN are tired of the thug-ghetto entitlement mentality that is taking over the entire city. You want a solution: let's get rid of all public housing and Section 8. Many people on Section 8 are cheaters anyway. End all the other programs that attract the riff raff to the city. Poqouson has no Section 8 and public housing. And very little crime.
BeProductive wrote:
<quoted text>Clarify yourself! When crime comes to your section of the city you want to link it to the east end of the city. How narrow minded! Crime is running rampant everywhere, pray that you don't look up one day and it's knocking on your door. Stop hating, blaming, and profiling. Become a part of the solution, "SHUT THE HE** UP" or put up.
Byron De Lay Beckwith

Virginia Beach, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2008

Ghaml wrote:
It is comments like this that really bothers me about our society. Just because you were raise in an area does not mean you are a thug, punk or anything else.
For the many ignorant comments about section 8 Voucher..are you aware that more than 98% of the recipents hold degress and actually have full time professional. I know three persons living in that area one incidentally lives in the 400 block of Hustings Ln and happens to be a nurse(LPN)..the other two are retired government workers oh and yes they are all black. Yes there was a shooting Sunday not in courthouse green. The shooting occurred in Woodbridge Apt and the victim ran and collapse on Husting Ln. And the victim from that shooting was from VA. Beach. Crime can occur anywhere. Check the daily press crime stats there are just as many crimes in "all" white and black upper class neighborhoods. Please stop sterotyping when you don't know or have any clue to the fact!!! And never allow ignorance to drive your motivation
I have my facts straight. I witnessed them. It is what it is and the picture tells the story. I realize it offends the senses. I'm offended that it occurred it the first place.

“I HAVE SOME SPLAINING TO DO”

Since: Oct 07

Newport News VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2008

BeProductive wrote:
<quoted text>Clarify yourself! When crime comes to your section of the city you want to link it to the east end of the city. How narrow minded! Crime is running rampant everywhere, pray that you don't look up one day and it's knocking on your door. Stop hating, blaming, and profiling. Become a part of the solution, "SHUT THE HE** UP" or put up.
Arenít you just a plethora of sunshine?

It use to be that the only real crime in Newport News was in the 'Southeast Community', now it's migrated to Denbigh and appears to be settling in.

I can assure you that if crime comes knocking on my door it will not end well.

How would you suggest I 'put up' because you can bet your next few paychecks that I will not "SHUT THE HE** UP" on what I think, feel, or believe to be the truth.
hmmmm

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2008

Police don't know why the teens were hanging around in an alley at 10 PM?

Three guesses: 1) drugs; 2) drugs and 3) drugs.

I really doubt they were gathering for Christianity since it is legal in this country.
Ghaml

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2008

Byron De Lay Beckwith wrote:
<quoted text>
I have my facts straight. I witnessed them. It is what it is and the picture tells the story. I realize it offends the senses. I'm offended that it occurred it the first place.
No actually you don't. The ratio of homeowners to Section 8 residence in Courthouse Green. The homeowners outrank them 5 to 1. Also there are many military families living in that particular area. So unless you live there or even visit once month then your facts are wrong. And yes you should be offended by crime as I am. But unfortunately crime does not have a color nor should it be based on race. I am glad that you are fortunate not have live on Section 8.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

8 Users are viewing the Hampton Forum right now

Search the Hampton Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Even Steven 1,083,728
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 3 hr truth-facts 45,892
Man facing Hampton murder charge was charged in... 4 hr Justme 1
? Moving to Hampton, VA? (Aug '06) Tue Lol 247
What was Joe Folks catch phrase at the end of h... (Aug '10) Tue charles mclane 8
I remember in Hampton (Jan '08) Jul 28 Tabb 741
Why do blacks get everything free? (Dec '12) Jul 28 Tabb 63
•••
•••
•••
Hampton Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Hampton Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000