What do you do with $15.9M? -- dailyp...

What do you do with $15.9M? -- dailypress.com

There are 50 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Oct 24, 2007, titled What do you do with $15.9M? -- dailypress.com. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

Newport News City Manager Randy Hildebrandt told council members during a special financial retreat Tuesday what he would like to do with the surplus.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
B Evans

Norfolk, VA

#1 Oct 24, 2007
Great idea, Joe. sell out more city services to contractors who will lower the standard of living further by offering less employee benefits and then in turn drive the employees into renting from the apartment market versus being able to own their own home.
Great idea.....Drive the middle class a bit lower.
NN-DENBIGH GEORGE

Norfolk, VA

#2 Oct 24, 2007
Joe(I will get your money)Frank,

HOW ABOUT GIVING IT BACK TO US ????

HOW ABOUT FIRING YOURSELF, THEN GIVE IT BACK???

RANDY, YOU ARE ABOUT AT THE POINT TO WHERE YOU MUST GO TOO !!!!!
Wingnut

Lyons, MI

#3 Oct 24, 2007
Haskins for City Manager; McMillan for Mayor!
Gotta Go

Moseley, VA

#4 Oct 24, 2007
How can you have a $535 million debt and a $15.9 million surplus?

wouldn't that equal a $519.1 million DEBT?

Since: Jul 07

Hampton, VA

#5 Oct 24, 2007
Obviously the money should go back to homeowners to defer the increase of tax from inflated home values.

I don't live in NN but this is not brain surgery here Mr. Frank. Give it back to whom it belongs.
Another reason

United States

#6 Oct 24, 2007
Just another reason why we will not buy a home in Newport News. Keep raising taxes and overspending...brilliant!!
Hill

East Lansing, MI

#7 Oct 24, 2007
Maybe they should take some of it and buy Randy a new rug! Come on dude take it off and let it shine! Bald is cool!
LOL

Newport News, VA

#8 Oct 24, 2007
Please lower the taxes, my house is on the market and I cannot move outta Newport News. I sure have the blues. :=)
Bruce Wright

Norfolk, VA

#9 Oct 24, 2007
A TAX REBATE would be nice. No matter how small.
NN h8ter

Newport News, VA

#10 Oct 24, 2007
$300,000 for jail improvements???? How about 3 million for a new jail or a second jail!! The only way to clean up this city is to get rid of the criminals and I'm sick of reading articles on how the jail can only hold 230 people but there are over 700 in there. This is another reason why people get suspended sentences or no time at all.........because there is now where to put them. Newport news is known for its crime element, not City Center or Port Warwick or even the new (outrageously taxed) housing developments going up. Outsiders won't come and spend time here for those areas because of the cities history. Wake up guys.....boot the section 8 get a jail and this city will take off on a positive route.
Independent

Portsmouth, VA

#11 Oct 24, 2007
Get a new toupe?
d kintigh

Virginia Beach, VA

#12 Oct 24, 2007
How about reducing the debt so that the credit rating stays high and interest rate low
This will cut our yearly cost and make need for future tax and debt less likely for younger children growing up
The city has done an outstanding job of improving schools, roads and the city center and police department
kudos
Newport News

AOL

#13 Oct 24, 2007
Why not use some of this money to build our kids a skateboarding park? We have been trying to get this done for 2 years! And they have not found the money to do it with. Why cant we use some of this money? A great skatepark would only cost the city between $6, and $10,. It would also help in keeping our skaters out of trouble, by having a place to skate.
I mean they would like to help the pier and put money into it, and ross towers? Whats wrong with Ross towers?
BUILD THESE KIDS A SKATE PARK! Also the city spent money to get FIDO field done, FIDO FIELD? Are you kidding? A place for our dogs to play? They found the money for that, but have not found the money for our skatepark? WHAT!!??
Ray S

Newport News, VA

#14 Oct 24, 2007
I have an idea: Let's name another sister city!
fed up

Richmond, VA

#15 Oct 24, 2007
Wingnut wrote:
Haskins for City Manager; McMillan for Mayor!
McMillan for Mayor? i can see that. she loves her community. Haskins for city manager? you have to be kidding. he is a idiot who sounds the same old themes to the point he does'nt even know what they mean anymore. you obviously have never had more than a brief encounter with that bozzo.
Bob

Atlanta, GA

#16 Oct 24, 2007
Hill, I wasn't going to get into the rug thing, but you did make me laugh.
Carter-Gage

Newport News, VA

#17 Oct 24, 2007
They should divide it among the taxpayers in the city.
CLB

Moseley, VA

#18 Oct 24, 2007
Hey Hildebrandt! Why don't you divide the 15.9 Meg by the number of Newport News Home Owners and give us back OUR money!
hannelore reed

Newport News, VA

#19 Oct 24, 2007
How about getting my street fixed.\??I asked the street Dpt. over 3years ago and we have to put it in the budget.This years they came by looked at it,since the neighbor had two pipes running from the back of his house.1 thru the concrete into the gutter #2 4inch pvc.pipe dut underground from the backyard up to the concrete and it all stands infront of my yard.I`m at this addr.since 1966.Hildebrandt,I remember you as a young employee.
its a shame

Norfolk, VA

#20 Oct 24, 2007
Newport News wrote:
Why not use some of this money to build our kids a skateboarding park? We have been trying to get this done for 2 years! And they have not found the money to do it with. Why cant we use some of this money? A great skatepark would only cost the city between $6, and $10,. It would also help in keeping our skaters out of trouble, by having a place to skate.
I mean they would like to help the pier and put money into it, and ross towers? Whats wrong with Ross towers?
BUILD THESE KIDS A SKATE PARK! Also the city spent money to get FIDO field done, FIDO FIELD? Are you kidding? A place for our dogs to play? They found the money for that, but have not found the money for our skatepark? WHAT!!??
I do not think the city should be investing into a skateboard park. I think it is to much of a liabilty issue. You need to find private investors to fund this. The city will end up being sued if someone gets hurt.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hampton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min Grey Ghost 1,403,151
News Is Illinois couple's murder tied to bankruptcy ... (Oct '08) 5 hr TheGambler 12
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) Fri litesong 60,655
cancer cancer darn that cancer Jul 20 Ian 2
I remember in Newport News (Dec '07) Jul 18 Jgfollett 2,342
Job Jul 17 Deonaten 1
I remember in Hampton (Jan '08) Jul 17 Carl Ciprian 809

Hampton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hampton Mortgages