'White privilege'?

'White privilege'?

There are 73 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Apr 22, 2009, titled 'White privilege'?. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

I was taken aback by David Squires' April 16 column, " 'White privilege' lesson needed at its local origins," because I have never experienced this myth.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Parrish

Baltimore, MD

#71 May 4, 2009
Umm its way easier for whites to forget about racisim because it had no negative affect on them. It doesnt matter if they gave it up, the past and its affects still linger.

Since: Apr 09

Newport News, VA

#72 May 4, 2009
It is a pretty bold move on the black man to say anything bad about the white man as they have been supporting most of us for a long time.
OMG

Norfolk, VA

#74 May 4, 2009
Parrish wrote:
Umm its way easier for whites to forget about racisim because it had no negative affect on them. It doesnt matter if they gave it up, the past and its affects still linger.
No, it's way easier for you to use it as a crutch. Quit bitchin and realize that the world has never been fair and there are no guarantees out there. Grow up, get over it.

“Stop the Madness for ME.”

Since: Jan 08

FoxHill

#75 May 4, 2009
Parrish wrote:
I have been discriminated against many times in my life. If I would have been African American (??) and the same exact situation presented itself, I'd be getting PAID. As it stands. There is no such thing a discrimination in regards to the white male. Heck, it's GOVERNMENTAL POLICY.
What sucks is my children are considered WHITE. Even though my wife and ALL her relatives are from AFRICA. Northern Africans don't count. My son is rather dark. I guess your relatives had to sell your brothers into slavery to qualify as disadvantaged. all this means is I have to save for college.
George

Alexandria, VA

#76 May 21, 2009
As long as non-whites find ways to kill each other, eg. Sri Lanka, white privilege shall remain!
kayman

Hightstown, NJ

#77 Dec 29, 2011
Here's an example of white Privilege. White males are the only group who don't generally don't have societal restrictions placed on who they can date or who can date them. For example, there's a clip on youtube of the Kardashian sister's appearance on the George Lopez show talking about boyfriends and relationships. Lopez asks "whats up with always dating black guys?"

Nobody ever asks non-white women like Selena Gomez, Jessica Alba, Jaime Chung or Lucy Liu, "What's up with dating white guys" because dating white guys is seen as the norm. There is very little if any taboo placed on a non-white woman for doing them, but those same women have to answer questions if they date black guys. You can see how advantageous this would be in the dating game for white men. That is an example of white privilege. Unearned advantages based on race.
levlers

Saltville, VA

#78 Jun 10, 2012
well the most pathetic part about it is that..

George lopez is considerably black himself.. probably blacker than let us say Vin Diesel..

not only that it doesn't matter if you are a part of the black ancestry because it matters..

what genetics you inherit
levlers

Saltville, VA

#79 Jun 10, 2012
And george lopez is simply too dark to make fun of black people..

it would be self hatred..

“Sharia, NOT!”

Since: Jul 10

San Diego, CA

#80 Jun 11, 2012
Walther wrote:
The biggest racists on the planet are black people. It's so obvious that even a moron can see it. White's get no opportunities that blacks don't get two of. Blacks are frequently selected for jobs - not based on qualifications - but based on their race. Blacks get to score lower on tests and still qualify for higher grades in schools. So,,,there is no racism any longer other than Black racisim.
I just witnessed and young black girl with a GPA of 3.84 get a double scholarship to Yale.
At the same time a white student with a 4.33 gets a 1/2 scholarship to a state university. Sooooooooo, who's getting the free ride under merit?

“Sharia, NOT!”

Since: Jul 10

San Diego, CA

#81 Jun 11, 2012
Parrish wrote:
That's funny. When I was a kid, one of my best friends was black and my folks loved him. But, it was his family that told him he was not to hangout with the white kids. Yay for the 60's.

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#82 Jun 11, 2012
Parrish wrote:
I had to respond to this article. Because this conversation is crazy. Whites have always had the advantage! Since slavery up until now and probably in the future. The only reason they have these programs in place is because we NEED them. If those whites who disagree would step out of their perfect and privileged worlds they would see that.
And Racism is racism, theres no such thing as reverse!!!
Ear wash.
wow

United States

#83 Jul 4, 2012
Is this what we've come to? Our country imploding?

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#84 Jul 5, 2012
Affirmative Action is keeping Jim Crow alive. Its supporters are as bigoted as any Klansman.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hampton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min Oia 1,643,325
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 2 hr hojo 64,134
News Brazil Carnival queen who broke nudity rule wil... (Feb '09) 21 hr weapon X 16
News Va 6-year-old takes family car after missing bus (Jan '09) Tue megadeth1a 28
Review: Councill Realty & Management (Jun '11) Mon Positive thoughts 13
Bus ride to Newport News Intermediate Nov 19 NickManRig 1
Does anyone else think the yearly car inspectio... (Nov '10) Nov 18 Josh hankins 30

Hampton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hampton Mortgages