'White privilege'?

'White privilege'?

There are 73 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Apr 22, 2009, titled 'White privilege'?. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

I was taken aback by David Squires' April 16 column, " 'White privilege' lesson needed at its local origins," because I have never experienced this myth.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Downtown Hpt

Atlanta, GA

#1 Apr 22, 2009
Good luck getting the media to report it.

Since: Jul 08

#2 Apr 22, 2009
"If anything, there is minority privilege in the form of affirmative action and racial quotas, but there is no such thing as white privilege."

AMEN, BROTHER!!

The biggest racists on the planet are Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, Jeremiah Wright, Louis Farrakhan.....
Pay Attention

Newport News, VA

#3 Apr 22, 2009
Jeebuss wrote:
"If anything, there is minority privilege in the form of affirmative action and racial quotas, but there is no such thing as white privilege."
AMEN, BROTHER!!
The biggest racists on the planet are Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, Jeremiah Wright, Louis Farrakhan.....
..........David Squires/HG Robinson

They have no desire to see racism fade away because it makes it easier to just sit back and say whitey owes us so they do not have to earn anything.
Andie S

Williamsburg, VA

#4 Apr 22, 2009
Some of you need to learn what white privilege is.

http://www.case.edu/president/aaction/Unpacki...

Learn something.
readyforrealchan ge

United States

#5 Apr 22, 2009
Andie S wrote:
Some of you need to learn what white privilege is.
http://www.case.edu/president/aaction/Unpacki...
Learn something.
So now racism is an invisible.Racism is invisible it very visible in the actions and rethoric of Wright,Sharpton,Jackson,farrak ahn in the teachings of black theology,Squires,affirmative action and other minorty only governmemnt programs and laws and through out a large percentage of the black and P.C. community.I don't have to invent an invisible racism I see it in reverse discrimination(with is just regular discrimination only against white)in the double standards of anti-white racial slurs,in the absents of special programs for whites,in the rethoric that accept and even embraced coming from black theology teachers,racist groups like the black panthers,and I see it in hate crime laws that don't protect white from hate crimes.You can believe in your bigfoot invisible racism mine actually exsist and the proof visible everyday.
Andie S

Williamsburg, VA

#6 Apr 22, 2009
readyforrealchange wrote:
<quoted text>So now racism is an invisible.Racism is invisible it very visible in the actions and rethoric of Wright,Sharpton,Jackson,farrak ahn in the teachings of black theology,Squires,affirmative action and other minorty only governmemnt programs and laws and through out a large percentage of the black and P.C. community.I don't have to invent an invisible racism I see it in reverse discrimination(with is just regular discrimination only against white)in the double standards of anti-white racial slurs,in the absents of special programs for whites,in the rethoric that accept and even embraced coming from black theology teachers,racist groups like the black panthers,and I see it in hate crime laws that don't protect white from hate crimes.You can believe in your bigfoot invisible racism mine actually exsist and the proof visible everyday.
Individual racist acts against White people do not negate the entire system of institutionalized racism against people of color.

Hate crime laws actually do protect White people.

It isn't "invisible" racism to people who actually have to deal with it.
You are privileged because you don't have to see it or think about it.
Walther

Virginia Beach, VA

#7 Apr 22, 2009
The biggest racists on the planet are black people. It's so obvious that even a moron can see it. White's get no opportunities that blacks don't get two of. Blacks are frequently selected for jobs - not based on qualifications - but based on their race. Blacks get to score lower on tests and still qualify for higher grades in schools. So,,,there is no racism any longer other than Black racisim.
readyforrealchan ge

United States

#8 Apr 22, 2009
Andie S wrote:
<quoted text>
Individual racist acts against White people do not negate the entire system of institutionalized racism against people of color.
Hate crime laws actually do protect White people.
It isn't "invisible" racism to people who actually have to deal with it.
You are privileged because you don't have to see it or think about it.
No it's preceived racism when sh** doesn't go your way. To what system do you refer the system that sets up programs and dumps billions of dollars a year into urban area to help advance minorities.Is that the system to which you refer?or perhaps it's the system that would grants scholarships to less than average minority student maybe that's the system to which you refer.Or could it be the the system that grants government pograms to garrentee the hiring and promotions of minorities inspite of actual preformance or qualifications.By chance is that the system lined up against the minorities.Look African American are giving more of a chance than the average poor white man.It's not enough that you're giving a leg up you expect the system to carry you.
WAKE THE F**K UP THE ONLY THING HOLDING AFRICAN AMERICANS DOWN IS THE MENTALITY(PURE GARBAGE) THAT YOU'RE SPEWING ON THIS TOPIX.
You cry about preceived racism and I can show example concrete discrimination against whites.So go on and continue playing your victim role agaginst the oppressive white society the same society that put Obama in office you're beating a dead horse while my horse is alive and kicking.
Pete

Saginaw, MI

#11 Apr 23, 2009
"turned down by an employer after they asked me what my race and gender was."

for any employer to ask you these questions is against the law. You should have reported them to the EEOC, for no other reason than to give them so aggravation with Feds. Maybe they would learn something.

“STOP animal abuse”

Since: Dec 07

United States

#12 Apr 23, 2009
Pay Attention wrote:
<quoted text>
..........David Squires/HG Robinson
They have no desire to see racism fade away because it makes it easier to just sit back and say whitey owes us so they do not have to earn anything.
ditto
Downtown Hpt

Atlanta, GA

#14 Apr 23, 2009
I was a victim years ago of reverse discrimination. I was the interviewers pick for the job and he told me all he had to do was get the sign-off from his boss. Nothing. He was nice enough to call me a week later and told me that his boss said that they had to hire a black. Sweet, huh? The biggest problem blacks have is within their own communities. Everytime one succeeds, another thug rears its ugly head and shows the world what we're looking for, "the stereotype". When stereotypes no longer fit the race, then racism will end.
Setting them up to fail

Warren, NJ

#15 Apr 23, 2009
Would you expect a 1200 SAT white high school graduate to be able to compete with 1400 SAT kids in an acedemic setting?
Parrish

Owings Mills, MD

#16 Apr 23, 2009
I had to respond to this article. Because this conversation is crazy. Whites have always had the advantage! Since slavery up until now and probably in the future. The only reason they have these programs in place is because we NEED them. If those whites who disagree would step out of their perfect and privileged worlds they would see that.
And Racism is racism, theres no such thing as reverse!!!
Whitey

Warren, NJ

#17 Apr 23, 2009
The only advantage I had was the pearls of wisdom dropped on me by my father, who passed away when I was 13.
A common denominator among the respectable old black guys I know is service in the US military. They make you get back up after they knock you down. In free society, you can decide not to get back up.
Nobody pops out from the womb as a success. A successful son of priviledge is the exception rather than the rule. On the average, the progeny of the uber wealthy squander their wealth within three generations.
The guy who can get back up after getting knocked flat on his keister the most times wins.
What are we talking about

Moseley, VA

#18 Apr 23, 2009
Parrish, Stop drinking the Kool-Aid and think for yourself instead of listening to the rhetoric of division. If something is denied from another and its spoon fed to you, is that right? Given opportunties for anything other than internal qualifications because of external appearances is part of the problem. It's definitely not part of the solution.

And about the perferct world, I live in a section of Hampton where I am in the minority. Hard to tell when the sections of the majority feel entitled to more than what they earn.
Richard Dawkins

Gloucester, VA

#19 Apr 23, 2009
The fact that David Squires still is allowed to write a racist column every week proves that there is such thing as "Black Privilige". No white reporter would have kept his job writing such racist garabage.

“STOP animal abuse”

Since: Dec 07

Marietta, GA

#20 Apr 23, 2009
Richard Dawkins wrote:
The fact that David Squires still is allowed to write a racist column every week proves that there is such thing as "Black Privilige". No white reporter would have kept his job writing such racist garabage.
ditto
Ashan-te

Norfolk, VA

#21 Apr 26, 2009
How many times must you be told: Squires is a moron!
readyforrealchan ge

United States

#22 Apr 27, 2009
Setting them up to fail wrote:
Would you expect a 1200 SAT white high school graduate to be able to compete with 1400 SAT kids in an acedemic setting?
So are you saying that a 1200 S.A.T. black student shouldn't get a scholarship because they are being set up to fail.Or are you saying colleges should dumd down their acedemics to allow less than average black students to survive.
Glockenspiel

Gloucester, VA

#23 Apr 27, 2009
Black privilege is having entrance test thrown out to be firemen and policemen because you can't pass a 4th grade level test.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hampton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Yeah 1,394,773
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 22 min IB DaMann 60,033
KKK Meeting in Downtown Hampton on the 9th. (Sep '12) Fri L sangueza 21
News Time magazine names Obama 'Person of the Year';... (Dec '08) Jun 23 Captain Smith 69
I remember in Newport News (Dec '07) Jun 19 realnewz 2,334
I remember in Hampton (Jan '08) Jun 13 SAB III 808
News Facebook Feedback for Saturday, Oct. 22 from Da... (Oct '11) Jun 12 martin garey 19
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hampton Mortgages