King William Reservoir

The Army Corps of Engineers' decision to revoke a permit for the King William Reservoir is not good news. Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Cant find any PCB

Virginia Beach, VA

#62 May 7, 2009
http://www.ci.williamsburg.va.us/Index.aspx...
H Potter wrote:
You better check that cancer producing chemical leaching from a buried site on Camp Peary approaching a down hill rush into Waller Mill.
H Potter

Ashburn, VA

#63 May 8, 2009
I remember reading the chemical is from when a contractor tore down a structure on the base and stored the debris in an old foundation before covering it up.
Hey, maybe it was poly vinyl chloride, but the article stated it does cause cancer and huge amounts of soil would have to be hauled out and removed if that chemical reached a certain fence line. Last I read, it did.
You really don't want an old man like me do your research, do you? I would guess that removing that soil would call for closing the reservoir, but that is just a guess. I probably would if I were in charge!
Do your research.
Leslie

United States

#65 May 13, 2009
Dam Wasteful

The recent King William Reservoir editorial inaccurately blames the opposition for the predictable failure of the deeply flawed reservoir project. The real reason is the relentless and misguided pursuit by Newport News in the face of facts that don't support the project and laws that prohibit it. Insulting the Indian's Treaty rights cannot change this reality.

There are many reasons not to build this reservoir, but the lack of need was predicted years ago and is demonstrable today. The Norfolk District of the Army Corps of Engineers studied the project about 10 years and issued a strong denial for scores of reasons. In
an unusual maneuver which ignored years of scientific study, former Governor Gilmore elevated the permit to the New York Regional office where the denial was overturned in short order. That mistaken effort by Newport News and Gilmore is what has led to today.

The project's path is littered with strong permit denials and pressured regulators. The Virginia Marine Resources Commission voted overwhelmingly to deny the permit, as did the State Water Control Board to deny the permit extension. Newport News sued both agencies, supported legislation to strip their authority and even legislation to dissolve them.

These and other unwise actions have been costly. In April it was reported that $33 million dollars had already been spent on the project. In May it became $50 million dollars for an unnecessary project whose cost had quadrupled by 2007. Continued pursuit of this dam is
wasteful.

Leslie Fellows
Aylett
Dee Sal Inization

Newport News, VA

#66 May 14, 2009
Leslie wrote:
Dam Wasteful
The recent King William Reservoir editorial inaccurately blames the opposition for the predictable failure of the deeply flawed reservoir project. The real reason is the relentless and misguided pursuit by Newport News in the face of facts that don't support the project and laws that prohibit it. Insulting the Indian's Treaty rights cannot change this reality.
There are many reasons not to build this reservoir, but the lack of need was predicted years ago and is demonstrable today. The Norfolk District of the Army Corps of Engineers studied the project about 10 years and issued a strong denial for scores of reasons. In
an unusual maneuver which ignored years of scientific study, former Governor Gilmore elevated the permit to the New York Regional office where the denial was overturned in short order. That mistaken effort by Newport News and Gilmore is what has led to today.
The project's path is littered with strong permit denials and pressured regulators. The Virginia Marine Resources Commission voted overwhelmingly to deny the permit, as did the State Water Control Board to deny the permit extension. Newport News sued both agencies, supported legislation to strip their authority and even legislation to dissolve them.
These and other unwise actions have been costly. In April it was reported that $33 million dollars had already been spent on the project. In May it became $50 million dollars for an unnecessary project whose cost had quadrupled by 2007. Continued pursuit of this dam is
wasteful.
Leslie Fellows
Aylett
Nice summary!
OlManRivah

Fredericksburg, VA

#67 Jun 23, 2013
Man, this was a hot topic a few years ago. I wonder what the latest news is. Here on the Mattaponi we were interested because they were going to pump water from our river to the reservoir.
Freddy

Gloucester, VA

#68 Jun 23, 2013
This is the reservoir that would have taken land from the Native Americans isn't it? They did not want to give up their land either, did they?
Land they had from a treaty older than the good ole USofA. A treaty actually made well prior to the Revolutionary War, or am I mistaken?
Is this the project that was being pushed so hard by Diamondstein and company? I suppose they don't call this theft if you use lawyers to perpetrate it huh?
What part of 'it isn't yours' does Newport News fail to understand anyway? Daily Press you ought to be ashamed of yourselves.
OlManRivah

Washington, DC

#69 Jun 24, 2013
It took land from a lot of folks South of Route 30. I don't think it affected the Mattaponi or Pumunky Reservations.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hampton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min Yeah 1,191,776
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 42 min ritedownthemiddle 51,523
Why do blacks get everything free? (Dec '12) 14 hr Huh 88
Boy charged in threat against teacher (May '07) Mon Beanie 14
Kecoughtan High teacher resigns after drug charges (Nov '07) Mon CS Rosenberg 71
I remember in Hampton (Jan '08) Feb 27 Hamptonian 794
Im back!!! James Arthur Segura Feb 27 Hamptonian 2
Hampton Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Hampton People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 6:57 pm PST