Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday 46,596
When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore. Full Story

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#38588 Aug 29, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
Lets make it clear before I begin that my faith is in science, and not in Rush Limburger or Faux Noos.
What deniers may consider sacrifices, I consider privileges and duties. My mother raised me to be moral, and my father taught me honesty. I'm Southern.
I believe in the power of the individual.
I live in a superinsulated, white, passive solar house of moderate size. I have a solar water pre-heater. Solar energy covers, conservatively, 60% of my heating needs. Every light bulb in the house is florescent. Two 8000 Btu window ACs cool the whole house, sometimes too much. Sometimes the house can overheat a little. In the winter. So I pull the shades down. I'm toying with the idea of building my own windmill, like the 14-year-old in Malawi did. I'm pricing PV panels.
With my CFLs, my garden, and my belief in the power of the individual, I have already changed the world. Ive been doing it for decades. I didnt have to adopt any changes. I didnt have to change. Ive always been this way.
It's been working, for the past 15 years, global warming has stopped and the climate has cooled. All thanks to gcaveman1, kind of amazing for a guy who forgot the password to the gcaveman username; solving the climate crisis. Now, we're good.

Let the consumer, the individual make the decisions, not onerous taxation, mandates and regulation.
kristy

Oviedo, FL

#38589 Aug 29, 2013
The Integral wrote:
<quoted text>
OK. The IPCC consensus style models have problems.
The fine Nature analysis of John Fyfe, Nathan Gillett, and Francis Zwiers strikingly illuminates the distinction between weak, mediocre, and strong climate-change science:
&#9655; Weak Climate Science Purely statistical models that presuppose the existence of cycles(commonly solar cycles and/or ocean-current cycles); also ad hoc models that ascribe climate-change to (e.g.) fluctuations in cosmic ray intensity. In summary, speculative climate-change science.
&#9655; Mediocre Climate Science Massive computer models, in particular, models that attempt to model decadal-scale dynamics. In summary, IPCC-style committee-consensus climate-change science.
&#9655; Best Available Climate Science Derives from thermodynamic considerations associated to conservation of mass, conservation of energy, and increase of entropy, as instantiated by radiation transport theory, as calculated by slide-rule, and as affirmed by paleo-evidence and by sustained observation of global energy imbalance. In summary, the multi-decadal arc of Hansen-style climate change science.
http://pubs.giss.nasa.gov/abs/ha04600x.html
http://arxiv.org/abs/1105.1140
http://arxiv.org/abs/1110.1365
http://arxiv.org/abs/1211.4846
Conclusion: Because the Fyfe/Gillett/Zwiers article narrowly confines its critique to mediocre varieties of climate-change science, their conclusions perforce are utterly silent in regard to the crucial question When will global measures of energy imbalance stop accelerating?
http://www.skepticalscience.com/images/Sea-Le...
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/gr...
That's the main problem. There is a large energy imbalance that is accelerating. Right now the energy is being absorbed by the ocean. Conservation of energy means that the energy will be transferred into the atmosphere at some point in time. There is no denying that air temperatures since the 1880s have seen periods of increase and periods of decrease, but the overall trend is up. It is the overall trend that really matters the most.
No, the crucial question is why do we spend outrageous sums of money on climate models to predict future scenarios of climate when we admit there are too many uncertainties that just aren't understood? But yet, we spend more and more on super computers to input information that is not fully understood and then give predictions that range from 1.1 to 6.4 and that doesn't include the uncertainty range. That's a huge range and it is really useless and doesn't mean anything because of all the uncertainties we admit we don't know.
kristy

Oviedo, FL

#38590 Aug 29, 2013
Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
krusty the kut 'n past kween.
http://judithcurry.com/2013/08/28/overestimat...
Joe Romm said this about Judith Curry in 2007:

The Washington Post has at least had the decency to run a rebuttal to the absurd Bjrn Lomborg piece they ran on Sunday. They chose one of the top climate scientists in the country Judith Curry, chair of the School of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences at the Georgia Institute of Technology. I count her a friend, having interviewed her for my book and having spent a couple of days in Florida with her giving joint talks she on hurricanes and climate (with her colleague Peter Webster), and me on climate solutions. I recommend anything she writes.

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2007/10/11/2...

But then Judith Curry did the unthinkable...she turned on the IPCC. Now Judith Curry is witch who must burned. So anything that Judith Curry posts must be dismissed.

So FG you are following the pack like a good little moron and rather than address the paper, you will just attack the witch.

Since: Mar 09

Wichita, KS

#38591 Aug 29, 2013
kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
Now didn't you read the link earlier about climate change denialism? If you had read it, you would know that it does matter what Al Gore does. Because you see one of the problems of denialism is,Im only one person, what can I do?" and for many, the first challenge will be in recognizing which dragons they have to deal with before they can overcome them. Yet this approach can only work if people are prepared to acknowledge that they have a problem. But for those of us who understand that climate change is a problem yet make little effort to cut the number of overseas trips we make or the amount of meat we consume, neither apathy nor denial really explains the dissonance between our actions and beliefs. Lertzman has come to the conclusion that this is not because of apathy a lack of feeling but because of the simple fact that we care an overwhelming amount about both the planet and our way of life, and we find that conflict too painful to bear. Our apparent apathy is just a defense mechanism in the face of this psychic pain.
http://science.time.com/2013/08/19/in-denial-...
So you see Al is in psychic pain and I guess it wouldn't be so bad if he was the only one flying around in private jets and riding around in limos and not cutting his overseas trips, but there are thousands and thousands of Al Gores, so it does add up. In Copenhagen, these thousands of Al Gores came via 140 private jets, and unknown number of commercial jets, and used 1200 limos. They do this every year and that's only counting that 1 yearly conference and not all the other conferences they all fly around to all year round.
So I'm just wondering when caveman will be starting his petition asking that these yearly climate conferences be stopped and asking these climate change activists to cut down on their overseas trips and to please use public transportation instead of private gas guzzling limos.
You and your denial sister rationalize your irresponsible position. Global warming is not a product of how Al Gore lives. Of course when you have no real evidence to support your position, you must manufacture a fall guy to blame everything on. It does not all fall in Al Gore's or Rush Limpballs lap. They just attempt to rally folks to their position and gain creditability (or cash). The only problem that you folks have is that Al Gore has the bulk of the scientific work to back up his position.....
kristy

Oviedo, FL

#38592 Aug 29, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Lets make it clear before I begin that my faith is in science, and not in Rush Limburger or Faux Noos.
What deniers may consider sacrifices, I consider privileges and duties. My mother raised me to be moral, and my father taught me honesty. I'm Southern.
I believe in the power of the individual.
I live in a superinsulated, white, passive solar house of moderate size. I have a solar water pre-heater. Solar energy covers, conservatively, 60% of my heating needs. Every light bulb in the house is florescent. Two 8000 Btu window ACs cool the whole house, sometimes too much. Sometimes the house can overheat a little. In the winter. So I pull the shades down. I'm toying with the idea of building my own windmill, like the 14-year-old in Malawi did. I'm pricing PV panels.
With my CFLs, my garden, and my belief in the power of the individual, I have already changed the world. Ive been doing it for decades. I didnt have to adopt any changes. I didnt have to change. Ive always been this way.
I think all those things you do are great. I also believe in the power of the individual and I believe in an all types of energy approach. We shouldn't phase out fossil fuels, but use them to be energy independent. If you look at the most immediate problems we face, look to the Middle East. We need to get away from our dependence on them and we can't do that with renewables only, so we do need an all encompassing energy plan....natural gas, oil, solar, wind, geothermal, hydropower, nuclear.
kristy

Oviedo, FL

#38593 Aug 29, 2013
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
You and your denial sister rationalize your irresponsible position. Global warming is not a product of how Al Gore lives. Of course when you have no real evidence to support your position, you must manufacture a fall guy to blame everything on. It does not all fall in Al Gore's or Rush Limpballs lap. They just attempt to rally folks to their position and gain creditability (or cash). The only problem that you folks have is that Al Gore has the bulk of the scientific work to back up his position.....
Those weren't my words, they were the words from the psychiatrist. Sorry if you don't like what the psychiatrist said. If you have a problem with the article, take it up with OzRitz who posted it.

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

#38594 Aug 29, 2013
kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
Joe Romm said this about Judith Curry in 2007:
The Washington Post has at least had the decency to run a rebuttal to the absurd Bjrn Lomborg piece they ran on Sunday. They chose one of the top climate scientists in the country Judith Curry, chair of the School of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences at the Georgia Institute of Technology. I count her a friend, having interviewed her for my book and having spent a couple of days in Florida with her giving joint talks she on hurricanes and climate (with her colleague Peter Webster), and me on climate solutions. I recommend anything she writes.
http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2007/10/11/2...
But then Judith Curry did the unthinkable...she turned on the IPCC. Now Judith Curry is witch who must burned. So anything that Judith Curry posts must be dismissed.
So FG you are following the pack like a good little moron and rather than address the paper, you will just attack the witch.
That is not the point.

The point is that you cut'n paste from her blog without a link.

If you are going to cut'n paste from blogs (which you do a lot), it's courteous to link to them, so it doesn't look like you're trying to pass other people's thoughts as your own.
kristy

Oviedo, FL

#38595 Aug 29, 2013
Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
That is not the point.
The point is that you cut'n paste from her blog without a link.
If you are going to cut'n paste from blogs (which you do a lot), it's courteous to link to them, so it doesn't look like you're trying to pass other people's thoughts as your own.
Too funny, let's go back in time when we were discussing ENSO-adjusted temperatures. You had posted a graph on ENSO-adjusted temperatures without a link and when I asked for the link you refused to give it to me because it came from a blogger who had nothing definitive, just a work in progress.

The paper I posted had nothing to do with Judith Curry, she just posted it on her site. If I had added her comments on the paper, then I would have needed to link it. I just wanted to post the paper without anyone's opinions. So tell me what's wrong with that?
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#38596 Aug 29, 2013
Oh boy.. this is DENSE.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#38597 Aug 29, 2013
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry... did you say anything relevant? I stopped reading after the lame Limbaugh/Fox blather.
hahahaha did it occur to you that you have difficulty to focus? Oh boy, forget about comprehension... and 9F implications for you..

Wichita, KS

#38598 Aug 29, 2013
kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
Those weren't my words, they were the words from the psychiatrist. Sorry if you don't like what the psychiatrist said. If you have a problem with the article, take it up with OzRitz who posted it.
Were these?
"So you see Al is in psychic pain and I guess it wouldn't be so bad if he was the only one flying around in private jets and riding around in limos and not cutting his overseas trips, but there are thousands and thousands of Al Gores, so it does add up. In Copenhagen, these thousands of Al Gores came via 140 private jets, and unknown number of commercial jets, and used 1200 limos. They do this every year and that's only counting that 1 yearly conference and not all the other conferences they all fly around to all year round."
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#38599 Aug 29, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>It's been working, for the past 15 years, global warming has stopped and the climate has cooled. All thanks to gcaveman1, kind of amazing for a guy who forgot the password to the gcaveman username; solving the climate crisis. Now, we're good.
Let the consumer, the individual make the decisions, not onerous taxation, mandates and regulation.
Global warming hasn't stopped.

The climate hasn't cooled.

I didn't forget a password.

I can't do it all by myself.

Brain_Dead can't get anything right.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#38600 Aug 29, 2013
kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
I think all those things you do are great. I also believe in the power of the individual and I believe in an all types of energy approach. We shouldn't phase out fossil fuels, but use them to be energy independent. If you look at the most immediate problems we face, look to the Middle East. We need to get away from our dependence on them and we can't do that with renewables only, so we do need an all encompassing energy plan....natural gas, oil, solar, wind, geothermal, hydropower, nuclear.
Did someone hijack your name? You're making sense today.

Of course, the goal now is not to throw fossils out and struggle to make renewables do everything. The plan should be to transition to other sources of power, but to do it as quickly as possible BECAUSE international oil markets are often shaky, BECAUSE we don't have enough oil in the ground to cover more than a few years at our present rate of use, BECAUSE oil and coal are dirty and dangerous, and BECAUSE they will only increase in price over the long haul, BECAUSE nuclear is probably dead for the time being.

As I noted above, solar takes care of 60% of my heating needs. I don't think anyone would reject a 60% savings on ANYTHING. If one does, I think it would be safe to call him a fool.

Furthermore, the energy efficient design and materials of my new house cost me practically nothing, possibly 0.5% of the total cost. Siting, design, and landscaping can all be used to save energy, with very little additional expenditure. And for older homes, all the evidence points to retrofitting and upgrading paying for themselves within months or a few years.

Additionally, I didn't build a new house to keep up with the Jones's or because I was tired of the old one. I built it because the old one was destroyed by a tornado. I used some of the lumber from the old one in the new construction. I used commodes and receptacles and cabinets and even the kitchen sink in the new one, recycling perfectly undamaged material and saving money. Less in the landfills or the fire pile. I used siding drops from commercial buildings for the outside skin, composed of 4" polyisocyanurate sandwiched between 22g steel sheets, also less in the landfills. And more in my pocket, since, with one component, I installed siding, insulation, and paint on all of the walls and the roof for about $3200.

Then, there's the savings I'm going to realize in the coming years because of the design and the materials. There was no pain. There was no sacrifice.

There was only using my head.
dont drink the koolaid

Minneapolis, MN

#38601 Aug 29, 2013
kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
Now didn't you read the link earlier about climate change denialism? If you had read it, you would know that it does matter what Al Gore does. Because you see one of the problems of denialism is,Im only one person, what can I do?" and for many, the first challenge will be in recognizing which dragons they have to deal with before they can overcome them. Yet this approach can only work if people are prepared to acknowledge that they have a problem. But for those of us who understand that climate change is a problem yet make little effort to cut the number of overseas trips we make or the amount of meat we consume, neither apathy nor denial really explains the dissonance between our actions and beliefs. Lertzman has come to the conclusion that this is not because of apathy a lack of feeling but because of the simple fact that we care an overwhelming amount about both the planet and our way of life, and we find that conflict too painful to bear. Our apparent apathy is just a defense mechanism in the face of this psychic pain.
http://science.time.com/2013/08/19/in-denial-...
So you see Al is in psychic pain and I guess it wouldn't be so bad if he was the only one flying around in private jets and riding around in limos and not cutting his overseas trips, but there are thousands and thousands of Al Gores, so it does add up. In Copenhagen, these thousands of Al Gores came via 140 private jets, and unknown number of commercial jets, and used 1200 limos. They do this every year and that's only counting that 1 yearly conference and not all the other conferences they all fly around to all year round.
So I'm just wondering when caveman will be starting his petition asking that these yearly climate conferences be stopped and asking these climate change activists to cut down on their overseas trips and to please use public transportation instead of private gas guzzling limos.
Based on the judgement icon Mr.AKA Bozo attributed to your post it is reasonable to conclude that taking responsibility for one's OWN carbon footprint is something he is against.

“Sharia, NOT!”

Since: Jul 10

Chesapeake, VA

#38602 Aug 29, 2013
The Integral wrote:
<quoted text>
That's the main problem. There is a large energy imbalance that is accelerating. Right now the energy is being absorbed by the ocean. Conservation of energy means that the energy will be transferred into the atmosphere at some point in time. There is no denying that air temperatures since the 1880s have seen periods of increase and periods of decrease, but the overall trend is up. It is the overall trend that really matters the most.
Um, scientists just called the above statemnt hogwash as of yesterday! Plus, your physics statement is, well, slightly ignorant.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2013/a...

"The system is now in a cooling phase, scientists have noted, which could last for years. The last such phase was from the 1940s to the 1970s." -This staement alone makes me laugh and remember the coiming "mini-ice-age" I was taught in school.

Your climate change, a.k.a. global warming bull crap is nothing more than a money making, control freak's fantasy.
"Cooling waters in the tropical Pacific Ocean appear to be a major factor in dampening global warming in recent years, scientists said on Wednesday."

“Sharia, NOT!”

Since: Jul 10

Chesapeake, VA

#38603 Aug 29, 2013
Keep in mind that China is blatantly ignoring the huge carbon footprint they are increasing every day. They are right next to the Pacific. Their polutants travel eastward and yet the ocean is cooling? Why? Maybe because they are filtering out the suns rays which in turn do not heat up the water or land! Gasp! That makes Physicist Dr. Ferenc Miskolczi's theory and models correct!

http://www.examiner.com/article/hungarian-phy...
No Warming

Waverly, OH

#38604 Aug 29, 2013
Kristy, if you haven't read this you may find it interesting. Joe Bastardi says Dr. Bill Gray predicted a warming trend back in the 1970s.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/larrybell/2013/05...
No Warming

Waverly, OH

#38605 Aug 29, 2013
Dr. Gray in 2006:

Gray acknowledges that we've had some warming the past 30 years. "I don't question that," he explains. "And humans might have caused a very slight amount of this warming. Very slight. But this warming trend is not going to keep on going. My belief is that three, four years from now, the globe will start to cool again, as it did from the middle '40s to the middle '70s."

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_3899807...

Wichita, KS

#38606 Aug 29, 2013
dont drink the koolaid wrote:
<quoted text>
Based on the judgement icon Mr.AKA Bozo attributed to your post it is reasonable to conclude that taking responsibility for one's OWN carbon footprint is something he is against.
Not at all koolaid drinker. Everyone is responsible for their own actions. However, as you know, folks didn't volunteer to quit using freon, they didn't quit using asbestos brake pads voluntarily, they didn't refuse to burn leaded gasoline, and so on. Our economic system is based upon cheap fossil fuels. Individuals will not change that with individual actions. Things like our transportation system depend upon the internal compustion engine. We cannot voluntarily guit using products that are distributed by fossil fuels. You know this but simply want to make noise.
No Warming

Waverly, OH

#38607 Aug 29, 2013
That first link to Forbes may start on page 2.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hampton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min shinningelectr0n 1,109,369
I remember in Newport News (Dec '07) 4 hr Teresa Setser 2,306
Isle of Wight schools to post 'In God We Trust'... Sun Idiots 6
Hampton looks for more math teachers Sat Thompson 6
james Arthur Segura Sat J Davis 49
VA VA Property Tax Exemption for Elderly and Disab... (Oct '10) Sep 13 Tony 1,358
Why do blacks get everything free? (Dec '12) Sep 10 Franklin 83
•••
•••
•••

Hampton Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••
•••

Hampton People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE