Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.

Comments (Page 1,652)

Showing posts 33,021 - 33,040 of42,921
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“So long to you, Righties”

Since: Jan 12

keep suckin' and whiffin'!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>The subject of this thread is calling on a political leader to act on global warming. If you can act on something, you should be able to demonstrate the effect yet no peer reviewed published experiment shows the ability to change climate, measure an increase in an atmospheric from an experimental emission or sequestration or climate change mitigation.
Climate always changes, nobody disputes that. Whether man can change global climate is an open question because that theory has never been experimentally tested.
No, fool, it was THIS statement of yours I was referring to:

"On August 6th, 1945, a nuclear bomb was dropped on Hiroshima Japan."

Nothing to do with arguments about current global warming.

Man IS affecting climate, and the causal relationship between greenhouse gases and atmospheric warming has long been established.

Your next move would seem to be yet another attempt to confuse mitigation with causation. Proceed.:)

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
So true. I remember last March they were trotting out the high to low records and touting it was due to global warming. It was all over the news. This year, I don't hear a peep about the low record temperatures. I live in Florida and this is the coldest March I can remember. Most of March has been in the 60s with lows in the 40s. We had 1 day that hit 90 and our local weather guy said that was the first time in 6 months we had hit 90 degrees.
You're talking weather, not climate. Here's a pretty picture for you, Kristy hon:

http://www.newscientist.com/data/images/ns/cm...

Note how the lines go up and down year by year, but the RED line drawn through the middle of the other lines continually goes UP?

That shows you how weather varies, but climate warms.

You're welcome.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

I'm sorry...there WAS a period there (40s to late '70s) when the red line was relatively even, may even have gone DOWN a tiny bit. What's that red line done since the late '70s, though?

That's right. UP. SHARPLY.
litesong

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

inbred Genius wrote:
suns gravity pulls us a tiny bit closer every year....
In truth, numerous effects cause the Earth to slowly recede away from the Sun, including conservation of circular momentum, nuclear reactions causing the sun to lose mass, thus gravitational force, particles that were once part of the central sun which are now propelled outward from the sun & past the orbit of Earth, other planets, & into interstellar space........
Where

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

Where's Al Gore?
kristy

Oviedo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
Your characterization of the events in question, and of Mann's character, are entirely dishonest. Therefore, you lied. End of story.
Okay then you explain the events and how it happened that a press release stated this:

"What that history shows, the researchers say, is that during the last 5,000 years, the Earth on average cooled about 1.3 degrees Fahrenheit–until the last 100 years, when it warmed about 1.3 degrees F.”

When in fact the paper states the last 100 years was inconclusive. Somebody was not telling the truth, being dishonest, deceptive.
kristy

Oviedo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
You're talking weather, not climate. Here's a pretty picture for you, Kristy hon:
http://www.newscientist.com/data/images/ns/cm...
Note how the lines go up and down year by year, but the RED line drawn through the middle of the other lines continually goes UP?
That shows you how weather varies, but climate warms.
You're welcome.
So sorry you can't understand I was making fun of the hype. All kinds of stories last March telling us that the US (1.5% of the globe) hot temperatures were because of global warming. Of course I don't expect anyone to trot out yearly or monthly weather but they continue to do so. Can you send this information to the media? I don't think they understand the difference between weather and climate. Thanks, truly appreciate your understanding of the difference.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Where wrote:
Where's Al Gore?
Doing your mom.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay then you explain the events and how it happened that a press release stated this:
"What that history shows, the researchers say, is that during the last 5,000 years, the Earth on average cooled about 1.3 degrees Fahrenheit–until the last 100 years, when it warmed about 1.3 degrees F.”
When in fact the paper states the last 100 years was inconclusive. Somebody was not telling the truth, being dishonest, deceptive.
I can't explain your unsupported delusions, they defy explanation.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
So sorry you can't understand I was making fun of the hype. All kinds of stories last March telling us that the US (1.5% of the globe) hot temperatures were because of global warming. Of course I don't expect anyone to trot out yearly or monthly weather but they continue to do so. Can you send this information to the media? I don't think they understand the difference between weather and climate. Thanks, truly appreciate your understanding of the difference.
All kind of deniers using every cold snap as "proof" that warming was a "fraud," too. GOing to take responsibility for YOUR side, who do this far, FAR more often?:)
Obama-Hoodwinked -YOU

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

Where wrote:
Where's Al Gore?
Al is living the American DREAM.

Al is worth a couple BILLION so he's either on his Dad's 60,000 square foot ranch, OR on his 500 foot yacht off the south of France, OR he's on his owned island in the south pacific, OR he's in Hollywierd dopeing it up with the Libertardes, OR in some unknown hideaway with a harem of bleach blond bimbos willing to sell their whole to a sicko Libertard.

In any case we needn't worry about Al, he's in good hands.

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you please get it through your thick head that we don't need the results of this paper to know about the last 100 years: we have the thermometer temperature record.
kristy

Oviedo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't explain your unsupported delusions, they defy explanation.
I didn't ask for you to explain "my delusions."

You stated: "Your characterization of the events in question, and of Mann's character, are entirely dishonest. Therefore, you lied. End of story."

So I asked you to explain the press release, because obviously if you think my reasoning is delusional, you have some sort of thought on the issue of the difference of the press release versus the paper.
kristy

Oviedo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you please get it through your thick head that we don't need the results of this paper to know about the last 100 years: we have the thermometer temperature record.
I asked you this yesterday, but I will ask again:

But here's my question about that. The graph is paleo-reconstruction up until about 100 years ago. Marcott's smoothing shows no variability in 300 year time periods. So how can you compare a temperature record that shows yearly variability for 100 years to a proxy that shows no variability in 300 year time periods and then say that the paper shows without doubt that this is the fastest rise in temperature? The only way to compare is if you finish the graph with paleo-reconstruction.
kristy

Oviedo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
All kind of deniers using every cold snap as "proof" that warming was a "fraud," too. GOing to take responsibility for YOUR side, who do this far, FAR more often?:)
Who has said warming is a fraud?

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't ask for you to explain "my delusions."
You stated: "Your characterization of the events in question, and of Mann's character, are entirely dishonest. Therefore, you lied. End of story."
So I asked you to explain the press release, because obviously if you think my reasoning is delusional, you have some sort of thought on the issue of the difference of the press release versus the paper.
For some reason, you keep asking me to "explain" something you believe exists but haven't documented. Thus my use of the term "delusion."

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
Who has said warming is a fraud?
Global warming Deniers. I've seen it on these boards and other boards as well. Don't pretend it doesn't happen.

Glad to hear you accept that warming is taking place, at least!:)
litesong

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

SpaceBlues wrote:
Who are you fooling? Nobody other than yourself.
'lyin' brian' doesn't fool itself. It knows GHGs warm the Earth. Only to save its 2-bit oil can job, does it continue to lie.
jeff

Manassas, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

This is very googd news for me

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
I asked you this yesterday, but I will ask again:
But here's my question about that. The graph is paleo-reconstruction up until about 100 years ago. Marcott's smoothing shows no variability in 300 year time periods. So how can you compare a temperature record that shows yearly variability for 100 years to a proxy that shows no variability in 300 year time periods and then say that the paper shows without doubt that this is the fastest rise in temperature? The only way to compare is if you finish the graph with paleo-reconstruction.
Of course if you're a climate denier you have to believe that rapid rises in temperature like the past few decades have occurred before but just weren't picked up in Marcott's proxy record.

Well, why not apply a scientific test to see if they had, would they be picked up by the proxy record.

http://tamino.wordpress.com/2013/04/03/smeari...

The answer? Yes, they would.

Another denier excuse fails to convince.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 33,021 - 33,040 of42,921
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

5 Users are viewing the Hampton Forum right now

Search the Hampton Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min shinningelectr0n 1,033,374
13 year old boys should be allowed in XXX movies (May '13) 16 hr Giving It Up 4 Your Love 9
VA VA Property Tax Exemption for Elderly and Disab... (Oct '10) 16 hr Winona 1,348
Watch out for elephants in the road tonight Tue Tina C 1
VA Missing Va. Girl Alive, Man In Custody (Dec '10) Mon Jim 1,434
Why do blacks get everything free? (Dec '12) Sun Huh 36
Garage Sale Sun Olivia 1
•••
•••
•••
Hampton Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Hampton Jobs