Income Tax Proponent Beverly Hollingw...

Income Tax Proponent Beverly Hollingworth Runs for New Hampshire State Senate

Posted in the Hampton Forum

Harriet Zimmerman

North Hampton, NH

#1 Jul 7, 2012
Beverly Hollingworth ran unsuccessfully for Governor in 2002 favoring a state income tax. No NH Governor has ever favored such a broad based tax - not even Democrats Hugh Gallen, Jeanne Shaheen and John Lynch. She lost overwhelmingly in 2010 when she ran for Executive Council from the Seacoast District 3. She even lost her home town of Hampton. She has favored increasing tolls on New Hampshire roads. She is a taxer who favors government entitlement. The voters have rejected her. Yet, she is running again - this time against a very successful incumbent state senator, Nancy Stiles from Hampton. Hollingworth cannot say why she would be better than Stiles. Given Hollingworth's record, she clearly would not be better - rather, she would move New Hampshire backwards by decades. Whether a Democrat or a Republican, what New Hampshire needs are candidates with fresh ideas and without the old political ties and obligations. Nancy Stiles is an example of exactly the type of state senator New Hampshire needs. She should be re-elected. She has earned a second term. Local government officials, including Richard Nichols of the Hampton Board of Selectmen, are on record as to how responsive Nancy Stiles has been to local governments and the needs of the communities in her district. And, what we don't need is the same old income tax touting professional politician with no new ideas and no reason to offer why she should be elected.
Walt Patterson

North Hampton, NH

#2 Jul 8, 2012
The last thing we need is an income tax. People are already suffering to make ends meet. The economy and jobs are terrible. This candidate has to be defeated.
Joe Watterman

North Hampton, NH

#3 Jul 8, 2012
I agree with that. No income tax. A skunk doesn't change its stripes.
Rebecca Kapstein

North Hampton, NH

#4 Jul 9, 2012
Another liberal spender and taxer.
Bob Nevin

North Hampton, NH

#5 Jul 14, 2012
The last time she won a State Senate seat was in the year 2000. The November 8, 2000 edition of the Portsmouth Herald / Seacoast online quoted Hollingworth as follows: "Statistics say an income tax is the only thing that will work, but I'm keeping my mind open to alternatives," Hollingworth said." Now she is running again 12 years later. Is she still in favor of a state wide income tax to fund education?
Bob Nevin

North Hampton, NH

#6 Jul 14, 2012
The following is a quote from the Portsmouth Herald, August 2, 2002 while Hollingworth was running for governor: "Hollingworth wants to supplement local education taxes with an income tax. She said the state should pay about half the cost of an adequate education - or about a quarter of the actual cost of education statewide."
Bob Nevin

North Hampton, NH

#7 Jul 14, 2012
The following is a quote from Seacoast Online (Portsmouth Herald) from August 24, 2001: "While Hollingworth has consistently supported an income tax to support education, she has promised to keep an open mind when it comes to state education funding, saying she'll consider any legitimate funding option."
Bob Nevin

North Hampton, NH

#8 Jul 14, 2012
The following is a quote from Seacoast Online (Portsmouth Herald) from September 5, 1999 - quoting Hollingworth directly on the tax issue: "Hollingworth has supported a state income tax, which Gov. Shaheen has pledged to veto.'The bodies should represent their views and the governor should represent hers and that's what makes for good representative government,' said Hollingworth.'If the governor feels that way, she should veto something she doesn't agree with or doesn't live up to the commitment she's made, whether it's an income tax or anything else.'"
Heck no

Exeter, NH

#9 Aug 4, 2012
I know who I won't be voting for in November. If she wants a state income tax, she can move to some state that already has one.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hampton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Body reported in Merrimack River in Tyngsboro m... Oct '16 Joseph H 3
News Pence: Media's 'monolithic opposition' to Trump... Oct '16 HillarysLockerTalk 1
South Main (May '11) Oct '16 Anon123 147
sea h2o Oct '16 here we go 11
News Woman Sues Over Having To Buy 2 Plane Seats (Feb '06) Oct '16 a fat arse 315
Fire department (Feb '16) Oct '16 The Tea 10
Review: Andrew Cotrupi Law Office (Feb '09) Sep '16 Kaiser Orwell 6

Hampton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hampton Mortgages