Union Leader editorial on Seabrook 8/...

Union Leader editorial on Seabrook 8/15/12

Posted in the Hampton Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Aug 12

Concord, NH

#1 Aug 21, 2012
Just in case some residents of Seabrook haven't seen this editorial in the Union Leader last week about using Paid Administrative Leave as a management tool, here is the link:
http://www.unionleader.com/article/20120815/O...
lousy

Hampton, NH

#2 Aug 25, 2012
Hey where are the town criers?? They are quiet as a mouse now cause their personal vandetta is gone! It doesnt matter about the money now as long as the town manager is gone right?? They can do and spend what ever they want now that BB is gone! They are such ignorant hipocrits and this proves it!! When is the truth gonna come out that JB got suspended for going over budget and stealing stuff that the town paid for??
really

Hampton, NH

#3 Aug 25, 2012
This was taken from the site of NH Legal government!! I dont believe any of our so called private and sealed meetings have a right to stay that way according to these NH laws!!! SOMEONE NEEDS TO GET AFTER THESE SELECTMN!!

Sealing of Nonpublic Session Meeting Minutes
New Hampshire Town and City, September 2010
By Kimberly A. Hallquist, staff attorney with the New Hampshire Local Government Center's Legal Services and Government Affairs Department

A great deal of confusion exists over "sealed" meeting minutes, probably because the term "sealed" suggests that the meeting minutes are somehow literally sealed and unavailable for viewing-by anyone, forever. This is not the case.

Q. What does it mean "to seal" meeting minutes?
A. Sealing meeting minutes is the phrase used to describe the action of a board to withhold meeting minutes of a nonpublic session from public inspection. RSA 91-A:3, III allows a board to vote to withhold minutes when any of three circumstances exist:(1) when divulgence of the information would likely adversely affect the reputation of any person, other than a member of the board itself; (2) when release of the minutes would render the proposed action ineffective; or (3) the information relates to terrorism planning functions. The nonpublic session minutes may be withheld until, in the opinion of a majority of members, the circumstances described above no longer apply.

Concord, NH

#4 Aug 29, 2012
So I guess we CAN see these minutes! Someone should go to the next selectmen's meeting on 9/5 at 10am to make this request.
really wrote:
This was taken from the site of NH Legal government!! I dont believe any of our so called private and sealed meetings have a right to stay that way according to these NH laws!!! SOMEONE NEEDS TO GET AFTER THESE SELECTMN!!
Sealing of Nonpublic Session Meeting Minutes
New Hampshire Town and City, September 2010
By Kimberly A. Hallquist, staff attorney with the New Hampshire Local Government Center's Legal Services and Government Affairs Department
A great deal of confusion exists over "sealed" meeting minutes, probably because the term "sealed" suggests that the meeting minutes are somehow literally sealed and unavailable for viewing-by anyone, forever. This is not the case.
Q. What does it mean "to seal" meeting minutes?
A. Sealing meeting minutes is the phrase used to describe the action of a board to withhold meeting minutes of a nonpublic session from public inspection. RSA 91-A:3, III allows a board to vote to withhold minutes when any of three circumstances exist:(1) when divulgence of the information would likely adversely affect the reputation of any person, other than a member of the board itself; (2) when release of the minutes would render the proposed action ineffective; or (3) the information relates to terrorism planning functions. The nonpublic session minutes may be withheld until, in the opinion of a majority of members, the circumstances described above no longer apply.

Concord, NH

#5 Aug 29, 2012
Go to the nest selectmen's meeting on 9/5 at 10 or 9/19 at 6:30 and request an explanation and that the non-public minutes be unsealed.
lousy wrote:
Hey where are the town criers?? They are quiet as a mouse now cause their personal vandetta is gone! It doesnt matter about the money now as long as the town manager is gone right?? They can do and spend what ever they want now that BB is gone! They are such ignorant hipocrits and this proves it!! When is the truth gonna come out that JB got suspended for going over budget and stealing stuff that the town paid for??
look out

Exeter, NH

#6 Aug 30, 2012
One set of sealed minutes does not compare to the stuff that is going on now. Your town is in big trouble.
Ship of fools

Atkinson, NH

#7 Sep 1, 2012
look out wrote:
One set of sealed minutes does not compare to the stuff that is going on now. Your town is in big trouble.
Maybe the three geniuses running the town ought to get their information straight before making important decisions. Try getting both sides of the full story before acting on matters and digging yourselves deeper into the bottomless pit. Stop running the Town from the corner of route 1 and Railroad Ave. Don't even allow town employees in there during work hours. Before sitting down with and caving in to the union's demands get your department heads involved. They have a much better understanding of what the hell is going on. That's what they are being paid for.
creature feature

Exeter, NH

#8 Sep 1, 2012
who' the new secretary at the Fire Station?
somekindajoke

Lancaster, NH

#9 Sep 1, 2012
creature feature wrote:
who' the new secretary at the Fire Station?
was the job posted?
Free for all

Atkinson, NH

#10 Sep 2, 2012
somekindajoke wrote:
<quoted text>
was the job posted?
Job was not posted. Bet your new selectman had something to do with it though, he does what he wants. At least it will keep that thing from the DPW out of there. You don't need that down there.
runningthetown

Exeter, NH

#11 Sep 2, 2012
Interim Town Manager, No Finance Manager, No Assistant Finance Manager, No Chief Mechanic at Sewer, No Sewer Superintendent, No Emergency Management Director, guess they solved the problem with Fire Department Secretary by bringing in the newly appointed Deputy Fire Chief's wife to be secretary...WHAT? she's non-union and heard she gets more money per hour than any of the other secretaries in town. SHOCK and AWE Police Chief - out. Tell me if I'm getting close. Hess SMACK DAB IN THE MIDDLE OF THE WHOLE MESS, Abul looking for another term so he's chasing Hess tail. Brenden Kelly where is he? and that is just the beginning
Free for all

Atkinson, NH

#12 Sep 2, 2012
Good summary.
They are filling it with a part timer to avoid having a trouble maker from another dept. jump over there and start her process all over again. Contract language allows for these lateral moves based solely on seniority even though a part timer may be more qualified. I say keep the part timers and avoid some pain in the butt who wants to make a dept change just because they can't get along with their present co-workers. How is this policy beneficial to the Town? It's not fair to part timers who could also use a full time appointment with bennies but it's better than getting bumped out of a job altogether. As far as the other vacant positions go, they are fully budgeted and can be filled anytime the Town Leaders want to. I think you will see a couple jobs posted in the next weeks to come.
losers

Hampton, NH

#13 Sep 2, 2012
runningthetown wrote:
Interim Town Manager, No Finance Manager, No Assistant Finance Manager, No Chief Mechanic at Sewer, No Sewer Superintendent, No Emergency Management Director, guess they solved the problem with Fire Department Secretary by bringing in the newly appointed Deputy Fire Chief's wife to be secretary...WHAT? she's non-union and heard she gets more money per hour than any of the other secretaries in town. SHOCK and AWE Police Chief - out. Tell me if I'm getting close. Hess SMACK DAB IN THE MIDDLE OF THE WHOLE MESS, Abul looking for another term so he's chasing Hess tail. Brenden Kelly where is he? and that is just the beginning
Where is PW on the budget committee she is too good to be hanging on the new board when all they worry about is parking spaces and dumpsters and if they are far enough away from the lights!She needs to get out of Ed Hess pocket and start helping like she used to! Watch the budgets!!
insider

Seabrook, NH

#14 Sep 3, 2012
Free for all wrote:
Good summary.
They are filling it with a part timer to avoid having a trouble maker from another dept. jump over there and start her process all over again. Contract language allows for these lateral moves based solely on seniority even though a part timer may be more qualified. I say keep the part timers and avoid some pain in the butt who wants to make a dept change just because they can't get along with their present co-workers. How is this policy beneficial to the Town? It's not fair to part timers who could also use a full time appointment with bennies but it's better than getting bumped out of a job altogether. As far as the other vacant positions go, they are fully budgeted and can be filled anytime the Town Leaders want to. I think you will see a couple jobs posted in the next weeks to come.
the secretary for the fire department has always been a part time position. the Emergency management secretary is also a part time position. some time ago the two positions were filled with a full-time permanent union member. I hope they learned their lesson and separate the TWO positions again.

Concord, NH

#15 Sep 4, 2012
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think once that position has been determined to be FT and union, it can't be changed back. Productivity and efficiency are not valued much.
insider wrote:
<quoted text>
the secretary for the fire department has always been a part time position. the Emergency management secretary is also a part time position. some time ago the two positions were filled with a full-time permanent union member. I hope they learned their lesson and separate the TWO positions again.

Concord, NH

#16 Sep 5, 2012
When exactly was it that she helped? Every time she opened her mouth she said she was representing the taxpayers, but she was mostly advancing her own interests, and now she got her way and the selectmen are de facto running the town.
losers wrote:
<quoted text>
Where is PW on the budget committee she is too good to be hanging on the new board when all they worry about is parking spaces and dumpsters and if they are far enough away from the lights!She needs to get out of Ed Hess pocket and start helping like she used to! Watch the budgets!!
losers

Hampton, NH

#17 Sep 7, 2012
youngfriend wrote:
When exactly was it that she helped? Every time she opened her mouth she said she was representing the taxpayers, but she was mostly advancing her own interests, and now she got her way and the selectmen are de facto running the town.
<quoted text>
I know it was a bad choice of the word help! She is in the pocket of ED and Abul so she is golden!! How come no complaining about the cost to the taxpayers NOW!! PW? I am sure the town will get sued big time with all the illegal BS going on!!
runningthetown

Exeter, NH

#18 Sep 8, 2012
They have gone too far. The Fire Dept and the Selectmen. I heard the union is looking into this. So much under the table shenanigans going on. Its going to get them. One way or another.
what a joke

Hampton, NH

#19 Sep 8, 2012
The unions are just as bad. Up to AK having meetings. Dont think for one minute the unions are just as corrupt
2013 election change

Belleville, MI

#20 Sep 16, 2012
let the games begin

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hampton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
miss seabrook pageant (Aug '10) Jan 1 Love u 215
News Marijuana Legalization: N.H. Banks Weigh 'Reput... Dec '17 Stephen D Clark 1
Cimmaron section 8 only Nov '17 taxpayer 2
News PolitiFact NH: Did Margaret Sanger believe Afri... (Oct '15) Nov '17 Bill Clinton 6
News Fugitive crackdown nabs man wanted in multi-mil... (Jul '08) Nov '17 Stephen D Clark 93
News Three teens charged in Exeter car thefts; one v... Nov '17 Stephen D Clark 1
SGould a houseguest make or strip the bed on th... (Nov '14) Nov '17 Stephen D Clark 2

Hampton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hampton Mortgages