Mid-State Taxpayers Foot Snow Removal...

Mid-State Taxpayers Foot Snow Removal Bill - NewsChannel 5.com ...

There are 16 comments on the NewsChannel5.com Nashville story from Feb 2, 2010, titled Mid-State Taxpayers Foot Snow Removal Bill - NewsChannel 5.com .... In it, NewsChannel5.com Nashville reports that:

Last week's snowstorm cost Davidson County taxpayers $350,000. Metro Public Works director Billy Lynch said the total included costs for overtime, equipment and materials used to remove snow.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewsChannel5.com Nashville.

Jeff from Mt Juliet TN

Mount Juliet, TN

#1 Feb 2, 2010
RIDICULOUS! I understand that the "plows were so busy [clearing the interstates?] that they were unable to clear any exit ramps - let alone backroads. REALLY? C'MON!!! I-40 east wasn't cleared for 2 days after the snow stopped! Exactly what roads were they clearing?! They should've been working AROUND THE CLOCK - 24 HOURS A DAY! The procedures in this state are embarrassing not to mention crippling to the economic health of this region. These situations should be planned for at LEAST as much as tornado warning responses.
smongo

Murfreesboro, TN

#2 Feb 2, 2010
it's outragous to hear that the snow removal is going to cost the taxpayers so much - given the fact that over the past few yrs., we've not had any "winter weather" conditions to speak of. all i heard was that there was plenty of salt and they wereprepped for the worst. what a joke!! i left work fri. nite from downtown n'ville and i didn't see one salt truck or dozer on i-24. it looked as if nothing had been done at all. they say they were on top of the situation, but it was painfully obvious that they weren't on top of it at all. i don't wanna hear anything about any overtime costs. this is bult into the budget and as far as i'm concerned, they really dropped the ball!!!
steve mo
wildcat

United States

#3 Feb 3, 2010
And yet another example I don't want to live in Davidson County....
Nameless for no reason

Calhoun, LA

#4 Feb 3, 2010
Who wants to wager the $350,000 price tag was to replace the plow truck that was rolled over? I can't recall the last time salt was used on the roads, they spray brine solution and then wait for the rain to wash it away. I know of two salt sheds in Davidson Co. that have been full for the past 5 years and I bet if I drive by today they are not far from full.
Me Again

La Vergne, TN

#5 Feb 3, 2010
This is bull. If they really were budgeting for this type of event over the years, then they should have a surplus of money for this past week.
Roger

Knoxville, TN

#6 Feb 3, 2010
Sounds to me like Mr. Lynch is inflating the cost of the snow removal. Did the city buy new equipment to remove the snow? If not, then why is Mr. Lynch saying the cost of snow removal including equipment? Once again a government official inflating the numbers to be misleading.
Billy Bob

Lebanon, TN

#7 Feb 3, 2010
Uhhhhh, I think that is what part of our taxes are supposed to go for. It doesn't seem like a news story. The headline reads like there is a scandal involved or something sinister taking place.

Since: Mar 08

Smyrna TN

#8 Feb 3, 2010
Billy Bob wrote:
Uhhhhh, I think that is what part of our taxes are supposed to go for. It doesn't seem like a news story. The headline reads like there is a scandal involved or something sinister taking place.
Exactly. The story makes it sound like taxpayers will be having to make up the costs.
dBergeron

New York, NY

#9 Feb 3, 2010
This sh!t ain't gettin' any cheaper.
Big Scott

La Vergne, TN

#10 Feb 3, 2010
Interstates are cleared by the state and not the county. And as said in previous comments the tax dollars we pay should have already payed for this just my 2 cents

“Whatevah!!”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#11 Feb 3, 2010
And I wonder how much it cost the state to have the dump/plow sitting off I40 in Putnam County buried up to its axles in mud? And it looks like it tried to dump all the salt, big pile behind it.
Concerned

Nashville, TN

#12 Feb 3, 2010
Jeff from Mt Juliet TN... Your funny.. You are complaining about Nashville.. You don't live In Nashville or pay the local tax here in Nashville.. but you are going to complain..

Now believe me I think it could have been manage better.. but lets think about it for a moment.. Have you been out to buy salt lately?? Now I am sure you get a bigger discount when buying in bulk. but it is still expensive.
Then you have to pay those workers for working all those hours to include overtime... they are probably already getting $15 to $20 an hour or probably more... Then all this happen in three days..
Also Nashville has 5700 miles of roads.. But one thing you have to keep in mind is that these trucks have to travel a two lane road twice and a three lane highway three times and so forth.. So know you are looking at over 10,000 miles of travel.. or more... and those dumb trucks loaded down with salt doesn't get great gas mileage... maybe 7 miles a gallon.
Then you have those tanker trucks dropping that crap two days before... I am sure that stuff wasn't free... When you start putting the numbers to it $350,000 is probably right in line.. All you have to do is to compare it with other cities and states. I run a trucking biz... you have to figure all the small stuff and it ADDS up quickly...

I agree on one thing.. the interstates should have been made priority... but I don't Nashville has enough resources to handle it all.. but we only get about a weeks worth of snow cover a year so I wouldn't want Nashville to go out and buy all this equipment to handle it all...
I would give them a C-
Just my two cents
Tim Moore

Antioch, TN

#13 Feb 3, 2010
Isn't that why we pay taxes to get these services? The article comes across as if the city government did us a favor. I'd question whether we did them a favor by letting the Mayor and Council have their convention center? Is the removal of the Fair Grounds a favor to us as well? Since when do we work for the government and the government somehow takes care of us as if we were the children? For the people, by the people!!
Agree

Chattanooga, TN

#14 Feb 3, 2010
Amen brother!

Since: Mar 08

Smyrna TN

#15 Feb 3, 2010
Everyone complaining about taxes paying for this, yes it does. What I see in this article is a story telling you how expensive snow removal is.
gaynmusiccity

Smyrna, TN

#16 Feb 3, 2010
Well that is a high price tag for removal. Actually, I think only certain parts of town had snow removal. And it was not the parts of the city where middle class and poor live. It was the West End and those parts that got all the wonderful removal of snow. City did a poor job of clearing off the interstate (several deaths attributed to their neglect). Maybe many of those people working rode around doing doughnuts in parking lots but not clearing the roadways. Mayor Dean is responsible for this. Take the money from the new convention center to pay for this fiasco.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hampshire Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
IB tech Jul 11 tank 1
ISO of a person name Crews that rides a motorcycle (Nov '15) Jun '16 Sandra 2
Jennifer Potts (Jan '16) Jun '16 Bambam 5
searching (Sep '15) May '16 Pamela_84 6
Who gives the best head and is the best f*ck in... (Sep '14) May '16 Posi 7
Tim johnson or johnston May '16 Sherry 1
trucker tim johson Mar '16 sherry 1

Hampshire Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance