An apology for slavery should flow from the source: Virginia

Born white in segregation-era Virginia's heart of darkness, Ken Woodley seems miscast as an ardent advocate for a national slavery apology. Full Story
First Prev
of 162
Next Last
thinking free

Charlottesville, VA

#4085 Sep 23, 2009
Just to put my 2 ct worth in, Meheico abolished slavery, Texas became a slave state(territory) hence the Alamo. So much for those that look back with some reverence upon those that died in that little fiasco. Of course that equation is not brought up in school books, Remember The Alamo....Bullhoowy
pants

United States

#4086 Sep 25, 2009
nitro wrote:
why should "we" who are alive NOW have to apologise for something thet happened 150 years ago-
Slaves were captured by other Blacks in Africa. Then sold as property. The traders were looking for goods on the coast and slaves were what was on the market. It is not the fault of the whites or any other sector. It was what was happening. Just as now young girls and boys are sold for sex. There are bad people and good and the past cannot be fixed. Fix the future to prevent anyone being sold for others use.
Dark Side

Charlottesville, VA

#4088 Sep 26, 2009
Why does the government keep bring up the past? Aren't they suppose to work for a better future!!
Thinker

Collinsville, VA

#4089 Sep 26, 2009
Racism is alive and well. Jimmy Carter was right! After reading some of these posts, it is apparent that those who don't want to apologize are the racists.
What's the big deal anyways? It's just a gesture of good will and reconciliation. We all know that slavery was wrong. Our ancestors made a BIG mistake by creating a slavery system in this country. Instead of the land owners doing their own work on the farms, instead of working their fingers to the bone, the land owners forced others to work their lands in order to make the land owners rich and wealthy. But the slaves didn't get a piece of the pie. They only recieved a life of hardship and suffering.
So, I think it only fitting that we say a few words to them in apology for the wrongs that our ancestors did. It is only Right and Just! and it won't require any kind of sacrifice on anyone's part. In fact, it might even help some.
thinking free

Charlottesville, VA

#4090 Sep 26, 2009
I can only think of a joke I heard years ago, I shouldn't tell it all but the punch line was" My flow is linoleum". Sorry, every time I see the word flow it cracks me up.
ole flatulence

United States

#4091 Sep 27, 2009
Who gives a rat's behind about slave history??? I don't !!!!!
Realism

United States

#4092 Oct 9, 2009
"Racism is still alive today" not as IGNORANCE but as an excuse when someone disagrees with you! Slavery was a part of most races. So get over it, I disagree with the President not because he is Black, or for the color of his skin. He is just wrong! As our those that won't or can't get over what happened in the past. Live your life, and be man/woman enough to understand that people can disagree on subject matter alone.

“Got any leafworms?”

Since: Apr 07

Buckley

#4093 Oct 9, 2009
Don't forget to have the northern states apologize for not allowing former slaves (American-Africans)to live in their states after the war.
Dark Side

Charlottesville, VA

#4094 Oct 10, 2009
Thinker wrote:
Racism is alive and well. Jimmy Carter was right! After reading some of these posts, it is apparent that those who don't want to apologize are the racists.
What's the big deal anyways? It's just a gesture of good will and reconciliation. We all know that slavery was wrong. Our ancestors made a BIG mistake by creating a slavery system in this country. Instead of the land owners doing their own work on the farms, instead of working their fingers to the bone, the land owners forced others to work their lands in order to make the land owners rich and wealthy. But the slaves didn't get a piece of the pie. They only recieved a life of hardship and suffering.
So, I think it only fitting that we say a few words to them in apology for the wrongs that our ancestors did. It is only Right and Just! and it won't require any kind of sacrifice on anyone's part. In fact, it might even help some.
How would it help? Why are you making such a big deal about it? You have stated nothing positive that would come from this except that African Americans will have a superiority complex from forcing the other ethnicities to bend to their will. How is that fair and equal? I'm sorry but God made us all equal and this apology will accomplish nothing.
sagemolly

Cumberland, VA

#4095 Oct 10, 2009
I think its time we all let this racism thing go. It's never going to be a peaceful place to live with all this going back & forth. God created everyone equal. Its just the skin tone thats different. Love one another God says. I am white but have worked with many black people. Most are hard workers, some are not. Same with the whites. Some blacks are criminals, some are white criminals. My thing is when Jesse Jackson, and Al Sharpton step into the picture, out comes the racism. Lets all put away these nasty names and hate feelings, or else its never gonna get any better. Live for today, leave the racism remarks for the illiterates !!!!!!
ocva

Orange, VA

#4096 Oct 12, 2009
Irish immigrants after the civil war were horribly treated and looked down upon. Ever hear of "No Irish need apply" signs? In New Orleans they took s/@#^ jobs the freed blacks turned down. They were discriminated against. Cartoons appeared in papers depicting them as monkeys. In northern factories, workers were technically free, but they worked 6 days a week in sweatshops (even little children) often living in company houses and buying overpriced groceries at company stores. Often had to charge necessities because they had no money. They were so broke and endebted to the company they couldn't just up and quit. That was a form of slavery, and they were treated worse than most black slaves. But that's history. No other ethnic groups are demanding apologies.
Slavery was NOT a rich white American crime. Not just a Va or southern issue either. Northerners had slaves and free blacks had slaves. Greeks, Romans,Egyptians, native peoples of both North and South/Central America, African tribes, etc, etc...slavery existed long before America was settled by whites. Still exists today in parts of Africa. It is/was a dreadful concept, that humans can own other humans. I'm not defending slavery at all! But get over it. Governments handouts and hiring and promotions quotas have to go - for all "minority" groups. That has nothing to do with the sad fact that slavery existed.
thinking free

Charlottesville, VA

#4097 Oct 12, 2009
Let us not forget the ever growing insidious institution of sex slavery involving women and children. We need to stop looking backwards and address the crimes taking place now.
MartyLutherKingX

United States

#4098 Oct 13, 2009
nitro wrote:
why should "we" who are alive NOW have to apologise for something thet happened 150 years ago-
OK....I AM SORRY that you negros can't get over it. there, how was that? you whites kill me..
MartyLutherKingX

United States

#4099 Oct 13, 2009
Thinker wrote:
so why dont you just say it? everyone who disagrees with your point of view is a racist? you sound like obama.He has the exact same PROBLEM you have. Quit your cryin bitch, you sound like a little girl.
CoreyB

Tampa, FL

#4100 Nov 7, 2009
This is hilarous!!!! a rant about farmville
www.youtube.com/...
The Bird

Irvine, CA

#4101 Nov 7, 2009
Here's an idea, Why don't the American white people file a lawsuit against the British for causing our ancestors to fight for their freedom. If we win that lawsuit, I say..."lets apologize". The only people who bring up racial issues are the blacks. The entire presidential campaign was racial(who kept bringing it up) What did you expect when you voted for him.For the next four years all we gonna hear is racial,racial,racial.
thinking free

Charlottesville, VA

#4102 Nov 7, 2009
Ya Know, I thought about apologising, but I just could not for the life of me figure out to whom I should apologise to. Then I thought back to some reading I'd done and remembered that slavery while it did play an important part of the southern economy was present in a very small percentage of white land owners. Said another way, a very small persentage of whites actually owned slaves. Unfortunately for blacks the average southener having little or no education just kept on treating blacks the same way their own ignorant mamies and papies did. Like crap. I think we tend to throw slavery and just plain por behavior into the same pot and end up with all blacks having been enslaved. Which was't true. in either case I know my ruts and I ain't gots nuffin to's apologize fur. Sorry.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 162
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hampden Sydney Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
VA VA Property Tax Exemption for Elderly and Disab... (Oct '10) Sep 13 Tony 1,358
Pat Robertson Calls for a "Revolution" - cuz - ... Aug '14 Big Mess 1
VA VA Property Tax Exemption for Veterans, Question 2 (Oct '10) Aug '14 Time Flys 2,545
Farmville Music Thread (May '12) Jul '14 Musikologist 13
My New Water Meter Jul '14 incometer 1
Threesome (Mar '14) Jun '14 who cares 2
8News Investigates: 'Road To Nowhere' (Jul '13) May '14 Clark 3
•••
•••
Hampden Sydney Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Hampden Sydney Jobs

•••