Landlords to Avoid in Bangor Maine

Posted in the Hampden Forum

DBBAF

Hancock, ME

#1 Apr 14, 2013
It's sad that us renters will need to present references and background checks only to find out our landlords are bigger jerks than us renters. However there is no accountability for them. They don't need to present us with anything on their background nor references from previous renters. Their first impression is as just as polite and professional as when us renters try to impress them. Then we find out that the landlord lied to us about stuff, loves to rent to skinners, or has a history of renting to loud obnoxious people. Or perhaps the landlords own family lives in the same building and they get away with being obnoxious yet if you make the slightest noise they are calling YOU to tell you to be quiet. Perhaps your landlord isn't fixing up anything worth while in your building either (like plumbing, electrical wire, or your sink or stove) YET your landlord spends good money on making the outside of the building look nice to the public for show. How many times have you moved into a place and the landlord lies to you while you sign the lease, saying things like "Oh those shelves, sink or toilet will be fixed by the time you moved in or shortly after" only to find they are still not fixed a year later OR at least not fixed to passing standards??? Then any complaints you make will haunt you when your next landlord asks for a listing of your last 3 landlords. Sure at first he or she may give you a passing reference but then after they get rid of you they follow up with some negative things to say to your new landlord? There are a lot of good landlords in Bangor Maine but there should be a place to post names of bad ones and at least a little blurb about how you were wronged as a tenant. In a place like Topix you can use an alias but please be truthful and don't play things up but do tell the truth. Also even if you use your real screen name this might be a chance for you to complain about a landlord you had many years ago (3 or 4 landlords back) in which you no longer need to list on any new applications. What's fair is fair folks and as they say "turn about is fair play". Funny how they'll use lawyers when we complain about a local business or landlord and give as a desist order (which really won't stand up in any real court) only to kill our 1st amendment rights. They are relying on our ignorance of the law to tape up our mouths. They call it slander when in all reality you are only trying to tell the truth. Sadly a lot of landlords and other business owners in our country and not just Bangor Maine let their lawyers or other reps to send us threatening letters or emails to stop our ability to RATE and give OPINIONS that are truthful about local businesses and landlords. But don't be fooled. If you are in fact telling the truth you have your RIGHTS! Don't let these scam artist lawyers protect the evil two faced slum lords anymore!
ha ha

Hancock, ME

#2 Apr 18, 2013
Not exactly in Bangor but years ago I stayed at the Stucco Lodge in Veazie and they had small run down efficiencies you could rent monthly. The land lords name was Andy Hashmi and he was a very rude man. Instead of talking to you if he had an issue he would get right up in your face with his finger. If you try to step away he would invade your personal space by getting right up close to you and sticking his finger in your face. I think it's a cultural thing because he is Middle Eastern and perhaps that is normal behavior where he comes from. Though he told me once he was from Texas which didn't make sense considering he had a very thick middle east accent and didn't sound at all like a real Texan. Anyway I could complain more about him but the bottom line is that he can be very rude and arrogant. No offense to anyone's culture but if he is any indication of how people act in the Middle East it might explain why those people are constantly at war or fighting in the streets. I mean it was very difficult to have an adult conversation with this man because he was always talking down to you or talking at you rather than talking "with you". Also when he would stick his finger in my face I knew he was not somebody that you could reason with. Also he's a slum lord who spent more money making the grounds look pretty than updating any of the rooms. I moved away because I was sick of some of the shady types he let in there. Lots of people doing drugs and at one point there were 5 men living there that you could find on the Sex Offender registry. Also the cops in Veazie seem to have control issues and mental problems. It's just a tiny little nowhere town that doesn't even look like a real town and they treat that place like its some rich estate when it's just a dirty no nothing hole. We got too sick of their arrogant attitudes specially that Andy Hashmi (which I doubt Andy is his real first name).
Daren

Bangor, ME

#3 Jul 13, 2013
Never rent from anyone in Brewer or Bangor named McCann or related to the McCanns.
BK and L

Bangor, ME

#5 Oct 31, 2013
I rented from a Judith Bladen a few years ago and she was awful. Her family and her friends were obnoxious loud rude people and if you got on her bad side she could be a bitch. She's known to kick people out over the smallest thing. For some reason her son lives with her even though he's almost 30 and he acts like a tweak.
RBandSLandJL

Bangor, ME

#6 Feb 19, 2014
NEVER rent from Bethsan McLeod and James McLeod in Glenburn, ME. Just outside of Bangor.
Lived here a year and have yet to meet a tenant who doesn't have a complaint. Most of the complaints is that she/they do not provide heating oil in a timely fashion. Even on the buildings that have heat included.
For instance, this is my 5th day of complaining about being out of oil in my HEAT IS INCLUDED apartment! I have emailed, called the property manager, everything short of Virginia (where they now live) and dumping some snow on her doorstep!
FOR months I have given her the benefit of the doubt about things. Such as no oil being delivered on a regular. The furnace just not working AT ALL for God knows what reason, sinks backing up, so on so forth. All complaints go unnoticed. The property manager does everything in his power to fix what he can, but he can only do SO much without their approval.
But just don't do it. Property is beautiful, it'd just be better If ANYONE who gave a damn owned it!

Since: Nov 11

Bangor, ME

#7 Feb 20, 2014
I would encourage anyone experiencing serious problems with landlords in the City of Bangor to contact an appropriate governmental agency. Some references:

City Dept. of Code Enforcement: http://www.bangormaine.gov/index.php...

Bangor Fire Dept.(uncorrected fire hazards): http://www.bangormaine.gov/index.php...

Legal Aid: http://www.ptla.org/welcome

In addition, you should not hesitate to contact the City Counsel. Don't just accept rude, arrogant or indifferent management. Once you have become an occupant you have both responsibilities AND rights.
Best Joke Ive read yet

Bangor, ME

#8 Apr 11, 2014
Half a Bubble Off wrote:
I would encourage anyone experiencing serious problems with landlords in the City of Bangor to contact an appropriate governmental agency. Some references:
City Dept. of Code Enforcement: http://www.bangormaine.gov/index.php...
Bangor Fire Dept.(uncorrected fire hazards): http://www.bangormaine.gov/index.php...
Legal Aid: http://www.ptla.org/welcome
In addition, you should not hesitate to contact the City Counsel. Don't just accept rude, arrogant or indifferent management. Once you have become an occupant you have both responsibilities AND rights.
Ha ha ha haa! That hardly EVER works. Most agencies and the Police always side with the slum lords unless the renter just happens to have some sort of political, financial, or other PULL in the community. But basically we can fill out complaint forms and it goes into a file and disapears and people in offices are always saying "It's being investigated" or "We're looking into it." But in reality thats just code for "We don't care about renters". The only time anything gets done is when a ton of people complain and it someone makes the news. Sort of like when local agencies and the police sheltered and protected that scam artist from Bangor Car Care, aka Bumper To Bumper, aka My Maine Ride. Nobody in an area like Bangor cares about consumers or citizens. It was only after a couple decades of the local PD and other local agencies protecting local scam artists like Glen that enough people took a stand and when to the BBB and to agencies above the heads of local jerks in offices. Services in a place like Bangor are nothing but living JOKES. That's why more and more of us decent people are moving away like I am soon. And all that's left are the drug addicts, child molesters, dead beat dads, insane moms, punks moving here from Mass, and stupid people, and of course slum lords. You all reap what ya sow selfish morons.
Bangor Gyrl

Sandy Point, ME

#9 Apr 15, 2014
BK and L wrote:
I rented from a Judith Bladen a few years ago and she was awful. Her family and her friends were obnoxious loud rude people and if you got on her bad side she could be a bitch. She's known to kick people out over the smallest thing. For some reason her son lives with her even though he's almost 30 and he acts like a tweak.
Wow guess Im not the only one that feels the same way. Yes she and her family were nuts and obnoxious. I agree she got easily pissed and could kick people out over tiny things and her son was schizoid. Her x husband when visiting would slam the back door a lot.
Bangor Gyrl

Sandy Point, ME

#10 Apr 15, 2014
PS I still work in Bangor but moved to Holden and like it better. Not too bad a commute. I found most land lords in Bangor to be jerks and not worth the frustration of living there anymore.
Diva Boy

Bangor, ME

#11 Apr 21, 2014
I had friends that lived in a place owned by a Mathew Young on Pine Street in Bangor. He rented to some very sleezy looking people and there was always trouble there. My friends moved out but the next tenants to live in that same apartment had a fatal stabbing when a guy was brutally murdered. Mat could be rude and often acted strange and he had this guy that would come very rarely to plow and do other stuff that scared us because he was like this 260 pound man that would say and do creepy things. Mat often took off for Florida during the winters and we often if he was doing more than just taking vacations. He came across as a shady person. Lots of meth heads live in buildings like that and the land lords don't care.

“Groooovin'”

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#12 Apr 29, 2014
RENTERS do have RIGHTS!!

Because in the Renter's rent PAYMENTS.. Property taxes are TAKEN OUT!!!.

“Groooovin'”

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#13 May 2, 2014
SLANDER..may land YOU in Court!!

Careful!!
People have rights

Blue Hill, ME

#14 Jun 12, 2014
Petal Power wrote:
SLANDER..may land YOU in Court!!
Careful!!
Mainers need to learn what "slander" means and that people have a right to telling the truth and voicing their opinion. Just because someone has a negative opinion doesn't mean it's slander. People shouldn't be intimidated by the likes of YOU because you want to missuse words like slander and put it in all CAPS like a jerk.
Former New Englander

Pasadena, CA

#15 Jul 14, 2014
For all those who gave us a heads-up regarding bad landlords, thank you, thank you ,thank you !! We live in an oligarchy it seems, and it takes some courage to stand up to them.
Former New Englander

Pasadena, CA

#16 Jul 14, 2014
Thanks for the heads up.
Dave

Concord, NH

#17 Friday Jan 9
Diva Boy wrote:
I had friends that lived in a place owned by a Mathew Young on Pine Street in Bangor.
Wow, I think I lived in that same building many years ago when I used to live up in Maine. That Mathew Young seemed shady and we suspected him for drug trafficking. Also he'd rent to very terrible people. For some reason he'd rent to the worst of the worst of Bangor. We had a couple guys that we knew were using crack or that bath salts drug, one of them stabbed the other but he lived. That same night we saw one of the two men hugging the side of the building freaking out. There was also this young woman that was a UMaine student that lived down stairs from us and she had a ton of black dudes over and some white hick that drove a truck. They would party late at night. There was supposed to be no smoking in that building but they would smoke up a storm and not just cigs either. Some other tenants told us stories too about shady actions of the land lord. By the time we moved I went from being a mild mannered non tempered person to being at my wits end with people. That place was so annoying and upsetting that by the time we moved I felt angry and upset all the time. Also that side of town has too many meth heads. I once called the ambulance on a girl that came out of our building, got into her car, then she passed out on the wheel. The sound of the horn was loud and continuous but she just didn't wake up. So I called the police department. By the time they got there she had woke up. Even though she was clearly intoxicated, on drugs, and they found an open bottle of beer in her car they cops & the fire department both let her go... for some reason the cops in Bangor Maine are sketchy too. I guess because they liked her boobs or something they let her go. If that was a man driving they would have taken him in. On a side note even though it was 1 building it had like 3 different street numbers which sort of seemed suspicious. There was like 111 and 113 through 115 or something like that and instead of normal apartment numbers they would say 1/2 ha ha Weird. Anyway another thing I didn't like was there were too many bars and corner stores that sold liquor, so that area was teaming with drunks and party people. Also if you search the Sex Offender registry you'll see that State Street & Pane Street areas are flooded with Child Molesters. Oh and one last thing watch out for a middle aged man that calls himself Hippie, he has dreadlocks and is often seen going in and out of that Pine Street area selling drugs. Even though he calls himself Hippie he isn't very mild mannered. He is very much a tweak and can freak out with fits of rage. Funny thing is when he takes off his hat he looks ridiculous because he's bald on top with hair in the back. Our neighbors told us about him and how he always runs off with peoples money selling drugs. I am not into drugs myself, people like that scare me. This Hippie and others like him hang out a lot on scum streets like Pine.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hampden Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jim Driscoll Acton Maine baseball career Jan 21 Maine UMO 1
Maine Prepper (Jul '14) Jan 16 zombiesRcumming 4
sexting Jan 5 youngpussypleaser 1
bbw Jan 5 youngpussypleaser 2
friend (Dec '13) Dec '14 from maine 2
wife and me horny Dec '14 some fun 1
Whiplash in The War on Culture Nov '14 Culture Auditor 1

Winter Storm Warning for Penobscot County was issued at January 26 at 2:46PM EST

Hampden Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Hampden People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 1:44 pm PST