Review: Landmark Home Improvements Inc

Posted in the Hammonton Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Concerned

Montclair, NJ

#1 Aug 22, 2010
I had this company come to my house today. Need some feedback as to who they are and if they are ligit. It seems to good to be true
the company name is Landmark Home Improvements, 3001 S. white horse pike, Hammonton, NJ
Concerned

Montclair, NJ

#2 Aug 22, 2010
Landmark Homes Improvements claims they will be filming for advertisement.
Wary Consumer

Hoboken, NJ

#3 Sep 7, 2010
Wondering if they are legit and the quality of their work. Am considering a possible project with them.
concerned

Montclair, NJ

#5 Sep 9, 2010
I am not sure if u really want to go with this company yet, do alot of investigating. The guy that came to my house didnt even show us brochures, he left his brief case in the middle of my foyer and said he didnt need it...plus why send a designer even if you dont have a contract. i would be leary of them...let me know how you make out with them.
also concerned

Trenton, NJ

#6 Sep 13, 2010
I am having them come to my house this week and have not been able to find anything on them. Has anyone been able to find out anything yet?
also concerned

Trenton, NJ

#7 Sep 13, 2010
I did look them up on BBB and they are rated A since 2001. They have had 4 complaints brought against them and all have been resolved from what I can see. Still not sure and I will definitely be looking to receive some referrals from them before I decide anything.

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#8 Sep 14, 2010
ok,

Did a Google and got this;
http://ask.metafilter.com/116858/Home-improve...

GL!

Location hidden

#9 Sep 14, 2010
yo!
I just noticed that I could not see my Thursday Sep 9 post re; BB info in non-log in View!
Is this someone's Editing????
I hope not, especially with some Vile posts in other topics and locations that go un-edited.
also concerned

Plainsboro, NJ

#10 Sep 14, 2010
Yes, I read that same link also. Not much clarification on there either.

miesk6, what was the other post that you sent that may have been deleted?
Concerned

Montclair, NJ

#11 Sep 18, 2010
to Also Concerned: How did you make out with Landmark Home Improvements? Did they come to your house? Was the guys' name Ron? Please get estimates b4 you let them do anything, they inflate their prices. He told me my bathroom would cost $15k, i got an estimate for 10K. Kitchen would cost me 35k, i got an estimate for 25K, just giving you figures to help you. They are not giving you a break. Did he tell you it was a govt grant they won? Ask him what grant is he talking about. He couldnt answer my question. If the govt gave him a grant it is public knowledge. I have not been able to find anything on the internet for this company that claims it has a grant.
also concerned

Plainsboro, NJ

#12 Sep 21, 2010
Yes, they came to my house last Thursday. It was a female that came by. They are legit and their prices are high but there is a reason for that. I will not be going with them though as I do not need all of what they want/need to do to make the training video. Check with the other contractors you got quotes from to see if they will be fully replacing the electric and all plumbing as that is what makes Landmark more expensive. They do a full gut of the room. The only way these guys really make sense is if you are doing a major renovation (moving the shower, toilet, or sink to another part of the BR) instead of just a face lift. good luck
Bill L

Paterson, NJ

#13 Sep 21, 2010
To all concerned.....DO NOT go with this company. I made the mistake of doing this and I am totally fed up....Work started late....already falling apart. Still waiting for a final window to be replaced...will not return phone calls. Company numbers provided on business card are disconnected.
Concerned wrote:
to Also Concerned: How did you make out with Landmark Home Improvements? Did they come to your house? Was the guys' name Ron? Please get estimates b4 you let them do anything, they inflate their prices. He told me my bathroom would cost $15k, i got an estimate for 10K. Kitchen would cost me 35k, i got an estimate for 25K, just giving you figures to help you. They are not giving you a break. Did he tell you it was a govt grant they won? Ask him what grant is he talking about. He couldnt answer my question. If the govt gave him a grant it is public knowledge. I have not been able to find anything on the internet for this company that claims it has a grant.
Very Skeptical

Kansas City, MO

#14 Sep 23, 2010
I saw their advertisement in a tiny community newspaper in Chester County, PA. They said they were looking for 'ugly' kitchens and bathrooms to film for a TV show. We thought it was something like you would see on TLC, etc. so I called. They told me they were selected by one of their vendors to film a "training" video, etc. We made plans for them to come out last week and they had to reschedule until tonight. I decided to look them up and saw there is not much out there on them. I saw the BBB complaints. I decided to call and cancel as I decided that why would a company located in New Jersey need to do business all of the way in Chester County, PA? I would be afraid to hire them not knowing much about them and not having legitimate referrels from people that I know. He wasn't thrilled that I cancelled. I told him about the location and not wanting to incur any more debt, etc. He gave me a whole speech on their government programs and how I could have a year with no payments and no interest, etc. I just decided to cancel and not waste ours or his time. Wondering if anyone has hired them or knows anymore information?
concerned

Livingston, NJ

#15 Jan 16, 2011
Thank god i did not go with this company, they 6 complaints with the BBB.
Terry

Maple Shade, NJ

#16 Feb 12, 2011
Hi,
Just want to tell u we had Landmark do our home last July. They were wonderful crews were terrific very professional and did a great job. Done when said and we had a lot to be done our home was stucco they had to remove plus lots more. To us they were Terrific!
skeptical

Burlington, NJ

#17 Mar 29, 2011
I'm having them come out this week. This whole things sounds really fishy and after reading the reviews on this blog, I'm not sure I want to waste my time. If anyone had their roof or kitchen done by them, please let me know. Thx.

Location hidden

#18 Mar 30, 2011
Read what Bill L wrote... and why would a company keep that "training video" line in their advertisements and sales pitches?
Go to a quality kitchen, bath, window store such as Pella, KraftMaid, etc. and see if they can recommend an installer; then go thru the BBB and references drill with them. It's your $ so why rely on an advertisement? Suggest you all watch Holmes on Holmes and Holmes Inspection on HGTV for what some contractors do to homeowners. Someday Mike Holmes will show what a quality contractor does aside from his crew up there in Toronto.

Location hidden

#19 Mar 30, 2011
Update; Here is a new entry at the BBB site;
"Advertising Review
On September 24, 2010, BBB contacted the business regarding its newspaper ad stating, "Ugly Homes Wanted for Television Program In This Area. We will repair and remodel them and shoot video for training film and future TV show on Home Remodeling work. Must sign release, for purpose of filming job! This remodeling is to be specially priced out work, with compensation back to the homeowner for signed release." Per one customer, the business did not present a release or compensation, nor did they film the repair/remodel.

According to the BBB Code of Advertising, the primary responsibility for truthful and non-deceptive advertising rests with the advertiser. Advertisers should be prepared to substantiate any claims or offers made before publication or broadcast and, upon request, present such substantiation promptly to the advertising medium or the BBB. No advertisement should be published unless it is a bona fide offer to sell the advertised merchandise or service.

On October 19, 2010, Landmark Home Improvement notified BBB that the video is in production and should be airing in April 2011.
http://www.bbb.org/new-jersey/business-review...

wow! One video for how many jobs?
iml2424

Sicklerville, NJ

#20 Apr 26, 2011
http://www.landmarkhomeremodeling.com/index.h...
I have been doing research as well. Here is their website. Have any of you used them? Our designer is coming in Thursday.
Watchmikeholmes

Williamstown, NJ

#21 Apr 29, 2011
Ask friends, neighbors and relatives about local contractors and how well they perform re; completion of the job, workmanship, cleanliness & follow-up repairs or re-work. Read this by
ConsumerReports.org

"...Don't count on newspaper advertisements or the phone book. The best contractors don't have to advertise. They get work through satisfied customers' referrals. Consult friends and neighbors who have had work done. Another source is the National Association of Home Builders ( www.nahb.org ). After a little pointing and clicking, you can bring up contact information for local builders' associations in your region. These in turn, usually have member directories to help you find a contractor. Kitchen-and-bath shops or other suppliers may try to steer you to contractors they use regularly, but don't feel you must use one of them.
Call the Better Business Bureau or a local consumer-affairs agency for complaint histories of the contractors you're considering. One or two gripes shouldn't necessarily induce you to look elsewhere. But be wary of a contractor with more problems than that. You'll also want to check with the appropriate agency to see if the contractor is properly licensed and insured. Some states or counties as well as many large cities or townships license contractors; other jurisdictions require them to be registered. As a rule, licensing entails passing a test to measure competency, while registering involves only payment of a fee. If a problem arises, a government agency may be able to pursue a licensed or registered contractor on your behalf.

Licensing won't guarantee success, but it indicates a degree of professionalism and suggests that the contractor is committed to his or her job. The same holds true for membership in or certification by an industry group such as the National Association of the Remodeling Industry (NARI), the National Kitchen & Bath Association, or the NAHB Remodeling Council—usually a sign of someone who is in business for the long run and not the quick buck. NARI will even try to resolve disputes between member contractors and homeowners, if requested.

When checking references, ask whether the contractor is insured and, if applicable, licensed to do the work. If, for example, someone gets hurt or your neighbor's property is damaged by an unlicensed or uninsured contractor, you could wind up paying. It's wise to know what your homeowners' insurance covers before work starts.

No matter how you find potential contractors, be sure to ask for a list of previous customers; then call them or, better yet, visit their homes to look at the work. Ask some penetrating questions such as these:

Would you hire this contractor again?

Were you satisfied with the quality of the work?

How did the contractor handle cleanup each day?

Was the contractor easy to talk to?

How did the contractor handle differences and work changes?

Was the job completed on time and at the bid? If not, why not?
You might also ask the contractor for a list of his or her building-material suppliers. Call them to see if the contractor has an account or pays for items upon delivery. Most suppliers are willing to extend credit to financially reliable contractors

READ MORE @ http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/home-garde...

==========

Watch Mike Holmes on TV Holmes on Homes & Holmes Inspection on HGTV and see what the worse contractors do to homeowners.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hammonton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Joseph M. Andrew, Formerly at Wayne Avenue in C... (Dec '12) Dec '16 Lynessa 9
News Police receive complaints about two more South ... (Aug '06) Dec '16 Lynessa 228
News Winslow police trying to identify woman found w... (Aug '14) Dec '16 HEATHER 2
News Victims of N.J. home rental scam could be getti... Nov '16 Mearbear247 1
Tire Slashing 10 JAN 09 - many vehicles in Coll... Oct '16 Tony G 1
Folsom faces lawsuits that could cost more than... Sep '16 Tony G 1
Super Wawa (May '13) Aug '16 Jim Mac 32

Hammonton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hammonton Mortgages