St. Croix sheriff defends deputies in fatal shooting

Feb 26, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Marshfield News-Herald

“This is a tragedy all the way around for all the people involved”

The fatal shooting of a distraught, shotgun-wielding man by two St. Croix County deputies over the weekend is being defended by Sheriff Dennis Hillstead, who says the two had little choice. via Marshfield News-Herald

Comments
1 - 4 of 4 Comments Last updated Mar 2, 2008
Nancy

Nelson, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2008

I don't understand why it is necessary for law enforcement to blow a person away. Can't they just wound or tase them if it is felt the person is being threatening? Telling others he was suicidal was obviously a cry for help-I don't think it necessarily means the person wants the cops to kill him! I have known Jacob for most of his life and he was a friend of my son growing up. I am so sad that his life ended this way and I can't help but think that it didn't have to happen.
Thank-you officers

Baldwin, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2008

Nancy,
This is for you...though it may be very hard for you to understand at this time...I want to ask you this simple question.....Why do you think that Jacob's first cry for help was the night that he was fatally shot? If you knew him for most of his life, then you to should have seen the signs that lead up to someone coming to the point of suicide. It just doesn't happen overnight...this I know from personal experience. Is it sad that his life had to end so short? OF COURSE!! Is everyone looking for answers and pointing fingers? OF COURSE!! If you have watched the news, hindsight is 20/20. How many times have we heard on the news of all the signs leading up to someone walking into their school and shooting their classmates, teachers, and then themselves? His problems started back in 2004 (or earlier, but this was all I searched in a short time) when he was arrested for criminal trespass to a dwelling, and criminal damage to property. I don't know what happend for him to get these charges, but someone breaking the law at the age of 19 seems like a cry for help if you ask me. Nancy, I don't want you to feel like I am attacking you, because that is not the direct porpose of my post. I would however like to say this......

these officers woke up in the morning...

maybe they kissed their family good-bye...

they got a call that night...

they had been threatened and warned that they would be harms way before even stepping out of their car....

they went anyways, to try to help, not knowing if they would see their family again...

they had a complete stranger pointing a gun at them....

the stranger wouldn't drop their weapon after repeated requests....

they were officers of the law....

they had 2 seconds OR LESS to decide if it was Jacob's life or theirs....

they will never forget the night that they had to take a young man's life...

they will have nighmares, night sweats, flashbacks, and may remember this night on every call from here on out....

they may wonder what Jacob would have made of himself had he had help earlier...if only someone had seen the signs before that horrible night.

Like I said...hindsight is 20/20
Nancy wrote:
I don't understand why it is necessary for law enforcement to blow a person away. Can't they just wound or tase them if it is felt the person is being threatening? Telling others he was suicidal was obviously a cry for help-I don't think it necessarily means the person wants the cops to kill him! I have known Jacob for most of his life and he was a friend of my son growing up. I am so sad that his life ended this way and I can't help but think that it didn't have to happen.
good call

Baldwin, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 29, 2008

Nancy,

You are my hero and so are the officers. When I want an officer I hope that someone of these two's character comes to my help. Thank you
later

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2008

Can anyone find out how many people have been KILLED by the co. cops. I will tell you why soon.Watch out who is going to investigate this?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Hammond Discussions

Search the Hammond Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
WI Who do you support for Governor in Wisconsin in... (Oct '10) 23 hr Jaimie 6,989
WI Wisconsin Primary Election Sept 14: Will you vote? (Sep '10) Jul 21 selfridge 451
New Richmond Police under Federal Investigation (May '13) Jul 13 Bill 5
Thomann markets Camp NCN as sex resort (Jun '07) Jul 12 mary 21
WI Who do you support for Attorney General in Wisc... (Oct '10) Jun '14 Judge 88
Open-carry picnic set at St. Croix County Fairg... (Aug '09) Apr '14 Nathan Pieters 149
WI Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in W... (Oct '10) Apr '14 Tealiban faschists 45
•••
•••
•••
•••

Hammond Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Hammond People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••