Interracial couple denied marriage li...

Interracial couple denied marriage license in Louisiana | The C...

There are 61 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Oct 15, 2009, titled Interracial couple denied marriage license in Louisiana | The C.... In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

A Louisiana justice of the peace said concern for children an interracial couple may have prompted him to refuse to issue them a marriage license.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Balls Deep

Columbus, OH

#1 Oct 15, 2009
The dirty south.
Tim the Hunter

Erie, PA

#2 Oct 15, 2009
Man , that judge still thinks it's 1954.
Common Sense nom de plume

Columbus, OH

#4 Oct 15, 2009
In explaining why Bardwell refused to issue an interracial couple a marriage license, he states that "it is his experience that most interracial marriages do not last long."
Not sure that rationale holds up given that most marriages--interracial or not--fail to last long. Thus, using Bardwell's own logic, he should refuse to sign any couples' marriage license.

United States

#5 Oct 15, 2009
By that logic we should probably do away with marriage entirely.
michelle chambers

Columbus, OH

#6 Oct 15, 2009
Are you kidding who is he to say if a relationship will last. Same race relationship did not always last their and nobody is denying them marriage last! Maybe if his beliefs are that strong they interfer with is judgement at work then he needs to step down from the his position.

Columbus, OH

#7 Oct 15, 2009
I like that quote: "It is his experience that most interracial marriages do not last long."

I predict his career as a judge doesn't last THAT long, either!

Stupid cracker.

Lewis Center, OH

#8 Oct 15, 2009
wow...just wow. this jp needs to be knocked off his high horse. i hope they win their discrimination suit.
Wild Wild Westside

Columbus, OH

#9 Oct 15, 2009
So if he would have denied if on religious reasons would that be horrible also?

We would never allow someone to not marry due to religious reasons..oh wait. nevermind.

Columbus, OH

#10 Oct 15, 2009
Defense of Marriage--ur doin it rong!

Columbus, OH

#12 Oct 15, 2009
More proof our educational system has failed. So justice of the peace is now "psychic"?

Columbus, OH

#13 Oct 15, 2009
So, I suppose holding out hope for gay marriage down in the bayou anytime soon is out of the question?!?

Portsmouth, OH

#14 Oct 15, 2009
Props to that judge.

Columbus, OH

#15 Oct 15, 2009
remember, the government "cares" about children so your civil rights may have to be overlooked..
The Happy Crab

Intercession City, FL

#16 Oct 15, 2009
Some one should tie that racist bastard to one of his own burning crosses.
Da Man

Detroit, MI

#17 Oct 15, 2009
What's his definition of inter-racial? White trash marrying trailer trash? If so, I agree it won't work.

Since: Oct 09

Columbus, OH

#18 Oct 15, 2009
Ditto for most of these posts. Someone should tell him Jefferson Davis is not the president.

Dublin, OH

#19 Oct 15, 2009
I would like to know this guys opinion on gay marriages and gay adoptions.
Ohio Anna

Fostoria, OH

#20 Oct 15, 2009
Wow it's 2009 and this story is taking place in Louisana, with the culture and history of Creole ancesttry. I think the ACLU is going to be on this judge's case.(If you want to read the Times-Picayune story from New Orleans, seach at the website.)

Belmont, NH

#21 Oct 15, 2009
This JP needs to be removed. After all, he is a U.S. Passport officer, not just a Justice of the Peace in LA. He oversees some Federal law. He needs to be removed and disciplined. Actually I wonder if charges or a suit could be brought against him.

Almost ashamed to say I have Louisiana roots and connections...

Bowling Green, OH

#22 Oct 15, 2009

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hammond Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bruce Mitchell 16 hr Jason 3
Scariano Brothers is a crappy place to work (Jul '09) 21 hr Sammy Drucker 163
News Man accused of snatching purses from Hammond de... Sep 27 Noyb 1
Review: Townsend Recovery (Feb '11) Sep 21 Alexander 28
The Latest in large format Military Grade 3D Pr... Sep '16 3dPrintersnews 1
What's It Like Working For Sanderson Farms??? May '16 sierras_ride 1
News Jamie Lynn Spears blazes own trail (May '06) May '16 Tastee 1,149

Hammond Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance