Video shows mini-van racing train before crash

A video of last weekend's fatal train-mini-van crash in Hammond shows the van's driver racing the train before being struck at the railroad crossing, officials said. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Paul F

Chicago, IL

#1 Sep 6, 2007
A "tragic accident"?-- No, I would call it reckless manslaughter of two children by some stupid, ignorant fool who wanted to race a train and didn't even have the sense to bother to seatbelt her kids. Hopefully the driver will survive, and spend many, many years pondering what she has done. In prison.
Marion Mims

AOL

#3 Sep 6, 2007
This was a senseless, unnecessary loss of the lives of those little children. The mother could have waited for the
trains to clear the crossing, five or ten minutes would not
have have been an inconvenience. We can't bring the
little ones back but when the mother is released from the
hospital, as a punishment she should be returned to that
same railroad crossing where her children perished and
made to sit there for an hour and look at a poster of her
little children before thery died. And the railroads involved
should erect crossing gates at that particular crossing.
Eric P

United States

#4 Sep 6, 2007
Agree with Paul F
mmm

Fort Wayne, IN

#6 Sep 6, 2007
Couldn't agree more with Paul F. As I tell my children of driving age...you can't take even ONE chance in a motor vehicle. Not one. We all do stupid things, but then call it what it was. A stupid, thoughtless act that these children their lives.
Berwyn RULES

Chicago, IL

#7 Sep 6, 2007
The woman is an idiot, and if she survives, should spend some time in jail thinking about the two children she murdered.
RFB

Warren, NJ

#8 Sep 6, 2007
So very sad for those two little girls to have lost their lives to such a foolish and reckless act. The mother was supposed to be so loving, why would she take such a risk with something so precious.
Ron

United States

#9 Sep 6, 2007
Robert Pines wrote:
Actually the video shows hogwash and this paper needs sued for the jury tampering "beat the train" statements. These airhead reporters like physic to know what the driver did?
Wow. Apparently the length of your post equals the breadth of your paranoia. Light up another one and go back to handing out "9/11 was an inside job" pamphlets at the local art fair.
RFB

Warren, NJ

#10 Sep 6, 2007
OK, so the railroad is at fault according to previous posts, but what is wrong with looking both ways before crossing busy railroad tracks. Again, loving mothers do all that is necessary to protect their children. That means not going through red lights to save one or two minutes, which is something I see several times a day on my 20 minute ride to work. Everyone is in such a hurry these days that they risk their own lives as well and anyone elses that gets in their way just to save a couple of minutes. "It's crazy."
Sue

Chicago, IL

#12 Sep 6, 2007
Mr. Pines:

You, sir, are a moron. Or a lawyer. Oh. Wait. Those are one and the same.

Who gives a damn about whether there were crossing gates? The driver was very obviously speeding to beat that train to the crossing. That was her intent, gates or no gates.

The car driver has the means to stop her car before it enters the track path. She can choose where to stop or go. The train and its driver cannot; they are mobile only on the rails.
Tina

Melrose Park, IL

#11 Sep 6, 2007
Simple rule.
Train vs. car.
Train wins. Every time. You really can't be careful enough when it comes to railroad crossings.
nwi res

Excelsior Springs, MO

#13 Sep 6, 2007
Mr. Pines,
Gather yourself and capture the english language. We'll talk then.
beatrice

Chicago, IL

#15 Sep 6, 2007
From the way a lot of people react to train accidents, you'd think the trains leap off their tracks and roam the streets, killing hapless pedestrians. The fact is that the train is ON THE TRACKS. It cannot leave the tracks. If you are on the tracks, you might get hit. You can't depend on signals, because sometimes they malfunction. Or sometimes they're just not there. It doesn't matter if the driver of the train sees you - it can take up to TWO MILES for a fully loaded train to stop.
It seems like there's a new story about a car or person vs. train accident every other day. When are people going to learn?
And I speak as someone who was critically injured in a car/train accident in 1989. Don't mess with trains. They almost always win.
Rey Flores

Palatine, IL

#16 Sep 6, 2007
Hey Ron, wake up.

Pines is right. CSX and all the other class 1 carriers (UP, BNSF, Norfolk Southern and the CN) are all the same. They neglect putting up crossings, ignore all of the fatalities and doctor up facts in their favor.

Yes. People are stupid and try to outrun a ten ton freight train that cannot stop for a few miles from when the engineer applies the emergency brakes.

But again, the railroads are so powerful and influential and can afford the best lawyers that they can do whatever the hell they want.

I used to work for CSX and I can assure you that they could care less about your safety, the safety of their employees and the all-around safety of the public.

Just do some homework on the internet about how CSX are using remote controlled locomotives to move highly dangerous haz-mats near residential areas. Worst is that the conductors operating these remotes are brand new trainmen with no experience and very little training.

Yes. People can be stupid and careless, but the railroads are greedy and could care less.
Dee

United States

#17 Sep 6, 2007
I'm just shocked at how this lady put her children in danger.
Robert Pines

Sullivan, MO

#18 Sep 6, 2007
Geez, here come the railroad paid boardwhackers.

...Who gives a damn about whether there were crossing gates?...Well Sue ---that would be the low life railroads. After they rape us $10 of 1000s on the gates the railroad pays to maintain them (in some states) Less maintenance costs the MORE profits in these sleeze bag RR directors pockets. There's crossing gates sitting all over on dead tracks. Who cares if they are moved to where the gates are needed?
Train Racer

Villa Park, IL

#19 Sep 6, 2007
If your gonna try to beat a train, you need something high performance....not a mini van...
Rey Flores

Palatine, IL

#20 Sep 6, 2007
You tell 'em Pines. Thes jerks have no clue what bastards the railroad companies are.

Again, the woman in the mini-van obviously used very poor judgement, but that does not wash the blood off of CSX's hands.
Roy

Lincoln, IL

#21 Sep 6, 2007
You can't stop stupid people, but it appears you can get them jobs at CSX.
Robert Pines

Sullivan, MO

#22 Sep 6, 2007
http://csx-sucks.com/...
Rey the remote trains you mentioned --- soon to be pitched in Los Angeles or wherever and caught in say Chicago. The Feds are as dirty as it gets.
Kellsboro Jack

United States

#23 Sep 6, 2007
I'd suggest to the bitter ex railroad workers with an axe to grind against the class 1 carriers to move on.

Folks are remarking on this specific case and really don't care about your agenda.

A wreckless action by a driver resulted in manslaughter. Paul F said it best.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hammond Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Slide Rule: A Computing Device That Put A M... Thu Homo Erectus 2
'Gayborhoods' fade with growing acceptance of LGBT Oct 22 Messed Up Mess 93
Cellphone video shows Indiana officer breaking ... Oct 13 Nellie 2
Topix CEO Chris Tolles is Gay? Oct 11 none_of_the_above 2
Who was the Hammond police officer... Oct 10 Wild Man 2
Your cops are sick people, their boss is worse!!!! Oct 9 U B Taken 18
Police officer placed on leave after abusive be... Oct 8 U B Taken 6
Hammond Dating
Find my Match

Hammond Jobs