John

Washington, DC

#45336 Mar 30, 2014
Gun homicide rate down 49% since a 1993 peak. Let's all pretend we need to start banning them now.

“Imagine Peace”

Since: Sep 09

Clarksburg, WV

#45337 Mar 30, 2014
John wrote:
Gun homicide rate down 49% since a 1993 peak. Let's all pretend we need to start banning them now.
And yet the US still has the developed world's highest gun homicide rate per capita (excluding Mexico and its drug war).
Chart: The U.S. has far more gun-related killings than any other developed country
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldview...
Here is the article which you did not supply the link for:
Gun Homicide Rate Down 49% Since 1993 Peak; Public Unaware
Pace of Decline Slows in Past Decade
http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2013/05/07/gun...
One thing I note from the chart on page 1 titled "Rate of Firearm Homicide Deaths 1981-2010" is that the rate stays fairly level or increases during Republican presidencies, and decreases under Democratic ones.
fitness-guru

Norman, OK

#45338 Mar 30, 2014
Another Damn Liberal wrote:
<quoted text>
And yet the US still has the developed world's highest gun homicide rate per capita (excluding Mexico and its drug war).
Chart: The U.S. has far more gun-related killings than any other developed country
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldview...
Here is the article which you did not supply the link for:
Gun Homicide Rate Down 49% Since 1993 Peak; Public Unaware
Pace of Decline Slows in Past Decade
http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2013/05/07/gun...
One thing I note from the chart on page 1 titled "Rate of Firearm Homicide Deaths 1981-2010" is that the rate stays fairly level or increases during Republican presidencies, and decreases under Democratic ones.
less guns equals more crime.
fitness-guru

Norman, OK

#45339 Mar 30, 2014
fitness-guru

Norman, OK

#45340 Mar 30, 2014
http://www.opposingviews.com/i/society/guns/g... you libs cant argue with the F.B.I.
fitness-guru

Norman, OK

#45341 Mar 30, 2014
why dont you green party democrat libbys go buy some pet food for the local animal shelter. let the republicans/independants/tea party folks handle it from here on out.
fitness-guru

Norman, OK

#45342 Mar 30, 2014
oh i left out the libertarians. excuse me.

“Imagine Peace”

Clarksburg, WV

#45343 Mar 30, 2014
fitness-guru wrote:
http://www.opposingviews.com/i /society/guns/gun-sales-violen t-crime-down-again you libs cant argue with the F.B.I.
I'm not arguing with the FBI, but I can argue with the premise of the article. Gun numbers up and violent crime down are not necessarily related. you have to show a cause and effect relationship to make this argument. The whole article is just that premise and a bunch of not-necessarily related statistics. For instance, regardless of the rate, you only hear about arson, not something like aggravated armed arson. It's a complex issue with many factors.
To quote the first comment on the article:
Christian Good · Top Commenter · Works at Fifth Season Restaurant
wtf is this? OK crime went down....how exactly do they connect that with gun sales! how about this....video game sales have gone up dramatically in the last few years MAYBE all the criminals are at home playing video games instead of committing crimes? see I can pull something out of my ass too!
George

Charleston, WV

#45344 Mar 30, 2014
WASHINGTON (AP)— Despite a late surge in sign-ups, support for President Barack Obama's health care law is languishing at its lowest level since passage of the landmark legislation four years ago, according to a new poll.

The Associated Press-GfK survey finds that 26 percent of Americans support the Affordable Care Act.
fitness-guru

Norman, OK

#45345 Mar 30, 2014
the citizens cant fight back. gun laws dont add up libbys. now why dont you libbys go set up a ice cold lemonade stand out in the desert for our uninvited guests who climb over fences.
fitness-guru

Norman, OK

#45346 Mar 30, 2014
page back libbys so you can see how guru clucks with ya with the real deal.
George

Charleston, WV

#45347 Mar 30, 2014
Mgtn Res wrote:
<quoted text>
You are even too effing stupid to understand your own ignorant ramblings. As dumb as Bacon is, in comparison you make him look like Stephen Hawking.
I concur completely. LOL

“Imagine Peace”

Clarksburg, WV

#45348 Mar 30, 2014
fitness-guru wrote:
why dont you green party democrat libbys go buy some pet food for the local animal shelter. let the republicans/independants/tea party folks handle it from here on out.
I have taken food to the local shelter, I donate to the Humane Society, I donate blood for people. What do you do besides dish out tea party bulldooky here?
George

Elkview, WV

#45349 Mar 30, 2014
Science Proves It: Greed Is Good

Jeffrey Kluger @jeffreykluger

March 28, 2014

Egalitarianism is not all it's cracked up to be. A new study shows that inequality and social hierarchies can be good things—within certain limits.

Let us now stop and praise the plutocrat. Really. Props too to the bailed out, the overprivileged, the exploiters of the little guys, the Machiavellian narcissists who earn way, way too much and are taking advantage of the rest of us to stay that way. Oh, and let’s praise Putin too.

Greed really is good, as are income inequality, bullying across class lines and even the iron fist of the political strongman—in certain contexts, at least. That’s the conclusion of a new study from the University of Oxford, just published in Nature Communications. Using mathematical models of human social groups, the researchers found that when communities are hierarchically structured—meaning that there is a potential for high inequality too—the individuals at the top tend to make more of an effort in the interests of the group than those at the bottom, including competing with outside groups and facing potential danger in the process.
fitness-guru

Norman, OK

#45350 Mar 30, 2014
George wrote:
WASHINGTON (AP)— Despite a late surge in sign-ups, support for President Barack Obama's health care law is languishing at its lowest level since passage of the landmark legislation four years ago, according to a new poll.
The Associated Press-GfK survey finds that 26 percent of Americans support the Affordable Care Act.
hey george .... can you tell me where the "late surge sign-ups" nimbers originated from ? i wanna mess with libs today.
fitness-guru

Norman, OK

#45351 Mar 30, 2014
Another Damn Liberal wrote:
<quoted text>
I have taken food to the local shelter, I donate to the Humane Society, I donate blood for people. What do you do besides dish out tea party bulldooky here?
im starting to like you another liberal. anybody that glues little square solar panels all over the body of his car is all right in my book.
fitness-guru

Norman, OK

#45352 Mar 30, 2014
another liberal ... next two elections im going with the tea party endorsed folks. im sick and tired of the chit.

Since: Sep 13

Clarksburg, WV

#45353 Mar 30, 2014
It's impossible to have an informed debate with conservatives that have no awareness of policies in countries that do almost everything better than America.

There are so many countries with better healthcare that covers more people with better health outcomes while helping business thrive since they are not burdened with ever-increasing health insurance costs.

There are numerous countries that are safer because of common sense gun regulations and restrictions that mean they do not have a rate of gun homicides that's bypassing auto-related deaths (and such countries also have no child gun-related deaths vs. the over 600 per year America averages).

There are a number of countries with higher living standards as they support livable minimum wages that are often times twice the amount of America's (and no, the cost of consumer goods isn't higher).

There are healthier countries with much lower rates of infant mortality as healthcare costs are either controlled or addressed as part of a one-payer system which in turn allows more mothers to gain access to preventive care.

There are many countries that are more intelligent and certainly more culturally literate as they do not allow the uneducated religious to influence content, nor do they demonize abortion which leads to idiots having socially and mentally impaired children because they think "abortion's wrong."

There are any number of countries that have fairer tax systems that tax the wealthy sufficiently without allowing loopholes that create deficits and cripple civilization by providing less revenue for education, infrastructure, and common sense social programs.

Generally, these countries are secular (which should tell people something about how there is absolutely no correlation between Christianity and morality).

Unfortunately, one must be wealthy to escape to these countries.

Sigh...

“Imagine Peace”

Clarksburg, WV

#45354 Mar 30, 2014
Space-Cowboy wrote:
It's impossible to have an informed debate with conservatives that have no awareness of policies in countries that do almost everything better than America.
There are so many countries with better healthcare that covers more people with better health outcomes while helping business thrive since they are not burdened with ever-increasing health insurance costs.
There are numerous countries that are safer because of common sense gun regulations and restrictions that mean they do not have a rate of gun homicides that's bypassing auto-related deaths (and such countries also have no child gun-related deaths vs. the over 600 per year America averages).
There are a number of countries with higher living standards as they support livable minimum wages that are often times twice the amount of America's (and no, the cost of consumer goods isn't higher).
There are healthier countries with much lower rates of infant mortality as healthcare costs are either controlled or addressed as part of a one-payer system which in turn allows more mothers to gain access to preventive care.
There are many countries that are more intelligent and certainly more culturally literate as they do not allow the uneducated religious to influence content, nor do they demonize abortion which leads to idiots having socially and mentally impaired children because they think "abortion's wrong."
There are any number of countries that have fairer tax systems that tax the wealthy sufficiently without allowing loopholes that create deficits and cripple civilization by providing less revenue for education, infrastructure, and common sense social programs.
Generally, these countries are secular (which should tell people something about how there is absolutely no correlation between Christianity and morality).
Unfortunately, one must be wealthy to escape to these countries.
Sigh...
But the right wingers feel safer in their bubble, and it doesn't hurt their heads when they think what the Koch brothers and the right wing media tell them what to think.
We need a good computer moderated social-economic simulation game so everyone can play out their theories and see what happens. But then, they don't believe in computer models , either...
1 post removed
George

Charleston, WV

#45356 Mar 30, 2014
Adios ya pansy ass nanny state gun grabber. Dont let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya. Dont write. Dont call. DONT come back.

==========

LOS ANGELES (AP)— CNN host Piers Morgan ended his show's three-year run with a plea for U.S. gun control.

Morgan devoted the final minutes of "Piers Morgan Live" Friday night to the issue that he said has been a consistent and often controversial part of the program.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hamlin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Steve Ferguson. Fergie 4 hr sos 1
what dose every one think about four miles wee man (May '10) 10 hr riiiight 54
hamlin/gv game 13 hr bystander 1
culloden foodfair (Feb '14) 23 hr jolena 30
What do you think about Brittany Egnor?? (Aug '13) Mon wherebritt 74
Betty Cooper? Sun Jenn 6
Tri-River Transit Jan 23 Sad 8
Hamlin Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web