school bond election
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
TAX PAYER

West Hamlin, WV

#1 Oct 31, 2013
Why has our County Commission and Board of Education stayed quiet about the special election which is being held in November regarding a school bond levy? They do not want you to vote NO! Your taxes will go up if it passes.
TAX PAYER

West Hamlin, WV

#2 Oct 31, 2013
60% of voter turnout is all it takes to pass or defeat this Levy.
norm

Hamlin, WV

#3 Oct 31, 2013
No, not true. Its the same bond that has been funding our county education system for over 60 years. NOTHING NEW
concerned

West Hamlin, WV

#4 Oct 31, 2013
they keep pushing this levy on the tax payers,when will they stop,the people has said no,what part of that don,t they understand. only in lincon county!!!
Working Middle-Poor

West Hamlin, WV

#5 Oct 31, 2013
County, State, Federal Gov. all have their hands in my pockets. Nothing left but pocket lint.
The Chicago Way

Chicago, IL

#6 Nov 1, 2013
Working Middle-Poor wrote:
County, State, Federal Gov. all have their hands in my pockets. Nothing left but pocket lint.
This is a long standing supplemental levy and perhaps should be referred to as the slush fund levy. If you go down the list as shown in the Lincoln Journal article you can readily see many of those categories could be eliminated. It is clearly as case of making the wish list fit the revenue from the levy:

http://lincolnjournalinc.com/levy-renewal-vot...

It appears the Board is letting this thing slide thinking the best strategy is to say nothing which lets those supporting the levy come out and vote without energizing the opposition. They hope the oppositions stays home. The supplemental health benefit adder of $277,000.00 alone far exceeds anything students benefit from. Additionally a million plus dollar annually for supplemental payments to "coaches, principals, directors, sponsors, supervisors and others" What about the "teachers"? These kinds of things should be paid from the ordinary tax revenue that supports the school and not a supplemental. It is probably time to fail the levy and let the Board come back with a more realistic student centered proposal.
yeah well

Hamlin, WV

#7 Nov 1, 2013
Fail the levy and the state will have to take back over. You will have to pay for your children`s supplies and some books which cost $50.00-$150.00 dollars each for every child that you have. All employees will lose salary along with Dental and optical insurance. Coaches salaries are paid out of this levy and money to take kids to extra events will be eliminated. This is definitely a big loss for our kids and the education system of Lincoln County. The high school could lose as many as 15 teachers and two assistant principals while middle and elementary could also lose assistant principals. Your Taxes WILL NOT be raised for voting yes on this Levy. Support your children rather than expecting everyone else to provide the money for them. Thank you and for my family we will vote yes.
TAX PAYER

Elkview, WV

#8 Nov 1, 2013
EXCUSE ME, BUT EVERY DAY THOSE CHILDREN ARE OUT THERE BUMMING MONEY FOR THE SCHOOL. I DO NOT CARE TO RAISE THE SALARY OF THE EMPLOYEES. OUR TAXES ARE GOING TO RAISE , DOUBLE ANYWAY THANKS TO THE LAST ASSESSOR AND NOW YOU WANT US TO VOTE ON A LEVY WWE HAVE TURNED DOWN THE TIMES. GET A LIFE. I CAN NOT AFFORD TO PAY ANY MORE TAXES.
Get Informed

West Hamlin, WV

#9 Nov 1, 2013
The levy will NOT RAISE TAXES. The levy has been in place for 60+ years and has NO PROVISIONS in it to raise taxes and NOTHING has been added. The issues with the assessors office is a separate issue. This levy will continue to fund the school system, pay for textbooks,school supplies, field trips, band, ROTC and extra curricular activities for students. It also funds our county libraries and benefits for current and retired teachers and service employees. If this levy does not pass the school day for every child in Lincoln county ends with the dismissal bell. Get informed before you make a decision based on social media rumors!
TAX PAYER

West Hamlin, WV

#10 Nov 1, 2013
If land owners taxes are going to increase 40 to 50 percent and that money will be going to the school funds, then I don't think we need this levy.
Get Informed

West Hamlin, WV

#11 Nov 1, 2013
TAX PAYER wrote:
If land owners taxes are going to increase 40 to 50 percent and that money will be going to the school funds, then I don't think we need this levy.
These two topics are UNRELATED. The levy will not increase your taxes, The sad fact is your taxes will go up as a result of the past wrongs of former elected officials. If this levy does not pass parents will be responsible funding all of these things. NO state organization will step in and pay for these things. The children of my county don't deserve to pay for the sins of the past.
Dude

Charleston, WV

#12 Nov 1, 2013
Harts Creek will vote down every county levy from here to eternity. Anything for the new school will never pass if the Harts people has anything to say about it. The state should be ashamed of themselves for shutting down Harts High School.
Get Informed

West Hamlin, WV

#13 Nov 2, 2013
Dude wrote:
Harts Creek will vote down every county levy from here to eternity. Anything for the new school will never pass if the Harts people has anything to say about it. The state should be ashamed of themselves for shutting down Harts High School.
The children from Harts will be impacted as well as ALL of their staff and service employees, people who work hard for our children. The "NEW SCHOOL" is 8 years old and a "NEWER" school is located in Harts.This levy has no provisions for LCHS specifically.
What a shame

Greensburg, PA

#14 Nov 2, 2013
It sure would be a shame if the people of Lincoln County were forced to buy supplies and pay for their trips like all the other counties have to do.
TAX PAYER

West Hamlin, WV

#15 Nov 2, 2013
Were does the money come from for the levy if not from taxes and what funds the slush fund if not taxes?
yeah well

Hamlin, WV

#16 Nov 3, 2013
I have three children that are graduates of Lincoln County schools. I have always supported the school system with a vote for this levy. It is not the Bond election to build extra stuff. It is to support the present buildings and students that are already there. Fail the levy and fail your children and all those that try to teach them. If you have children in school you will have to buy their paper, some books, and all the extra curricular activities such as sports, ROTC, Speech & Debate, and school activities will be drastically cut or eliminated. LCHS and some middle school classes will have to cut teachers, elementary has a class ration of 28-1 or 25-1 for their classes, but the others would have 30-50 kids in the classes. Teachers can`t teach in these conditions and students can`t learn. This responsibility is on you the parents not the Lincoln County Board of Education. Vote Yes for the kids.
No brainer

Hamlin, WV

#17 Nov 3, 2013
I have two kids that attend Harts' school and a relative that works for the school system and I will be voting yes. I hear a lot of people say they wont vote for it because they believe it's the same ole thing trying to be pushed on them. They can't realize that it's the same bond we've always had to help pay for the things our school system have to have, to provide for our kids. No LCHS will not be getting their football stadium out of this!!!
Just Saying

United States

#18 Nov 5, 2013
Whether you vote for or against the levy, the school will continue. In the past, the county doe what they want to do, regardless of the levys and bonds passing. If you vote against it, it will just hurt the county. Its not going to raise taxes anyways.
charlotte

Logan, WV

#19 Nov 10, 2013
Our county has plenty of surplus- Let them figure out how to cover things- my family is voting NO.
yeah well

Hamlin, WV

#20 Nov 10, 2013
When you have to pay $350.00 per student in Elementary school for your books, $450 for middle and $550.00 for high school students you will wish you had renewed this levy. You will also have to but pencils, paper, and other supplies. The state is not going to fund this, especially if you the people vote it down. Don`t shoot yourself in the foot by not renewing this Levy. You kids will also be in high school classes with 30-50 kids per class rather than the 25-30 now. Teachers will not be able to teach and kids will not be able to learn. Stand up and support your kids for a change. Don`t depend on someone else to take care of them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hamlin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Create your own Forum (Jun '15) 2 hr Matt Kelly 4,219
Jeremy beckelheimer 3 hr Celticbeauty 2
Who's side of the law is trooper fox on? 8 hr Lets go over some... 1
DeSean Vaughn (Apr '10) Wed Giap 20
Meth Tue So glad 3
Missie (Veres) Thompson (Apr '12) Tue Mr_Zerubbabel 16
What do you know about Cindy justice Tue Curious 2

Hamlin Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance