Get a life

Pompano Beach, FL

#64 Feb 20, 2013
A Bartender wrote:
<quoted text>
OBVIOUSLY she didn't have to because she was the bartender and Nikki Beach let her drink. Don't be stupid. We have laws in this county for a reason. If you look up the DUI laws in the 60's 70's & 80's they were much, much less strict than currently. They had double the death rates we have now..... do I need to explain the rest? Do the research you idiot.
Yeah I am so surrrreee Nikki Beach let her drink. You are an idiot.
Nancy

Miami, FL

#65 Feb 20, 2013
This girl is so stupid that she is only thinking about finals this week. doesn’t she know that the only final she going to get are her final days as a free person. she just killed somebody and thats all she’s thinking about. Now she will have a long, long time to think about the consequences and the stupidity that led her to her final situation.
Edward

Miami, FL

#66 Feb 20, 2013
what an ongoing pity that we live in a culture where the euphemism “partying” is just a polite way of saying “getting intoxicated and doing things one would never do while sober”. That one like Tomica would actually boast of being the “Party Princess” is just further evidence of her gross immaturity that has finally had irrevocable results. This poor husband, father and son is now dead and leaves behind his wife and children to grieve. It’s so sad that one so young and foolish as Tomica was able to able to make such a serious mistake that will ruin her life, but such is the cost of the “fast and free” lifestyle that is practiced by so many young people.
Ryan Matthews

Seattle, WA

#67 Feb 20, 2013
Someone needs to make a wikipedia page for her.
Mick

Sierra Madre, CA

#68 Feb 22, 2013
This whole story is sad. She is probably an alcoholic, which most people don't understand, and judge her for. When you're an alcoholic you hate yourself on such a deep level that you commit acts that most "normal" people would find completely reprehensible. If you had asked her would she ever choose to do this, of course her answer would be NO. When you lose control of how much liquor you consume it's a scary thing, and when you're an alcoholic you face that possibility every time you drink. We life in a society that views this as an individuals problem, and then we're always shocked when this type of situation happens again...and again...and again. Some other "spoiled bitch" probably killed someone in some other city in the US in the time it's taken me to write this. Are these bad people committing heinous crimes? No...They are (usually) alcoholics with no recovery, circling the drain, it's actually really sad to watch.
That being said it's so sad (much more so) for the victim, and his family as well. They lose a father and a husband and friend, and it's sad and tragic. Karlie committed a number of crimes, and we need laws in order to run a functioning society. She should be charged with vehicular manslaughter, or hit and run, or whatever else they want to charge her with.
She will be sentenced, but I hope she doesn't get the maximum sentence, and I hope alcohol rehabilitation is part of her sentencing or prison sentence. What's the point in giving her the maximum sentence? She's a CHILD WHO MADE A MISTAKE. Yes, it was an awful awful mistake, but we all deserve a chance at rehabilitation. Locking her up and throwing away the key is a stupid answer. Also don't judge her character if you don't know her. A lot of twenty year olds act like spoiled brats, because they are still children. She has no past legal record, so don't expect her to get all this time. The whole situation leaves everyone involved in pain, including her and her family. It's a sad situation that we will probably see time and time again until people realize how serious the disease of drug addiction and alcoholism truly is.
johnb

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#69 Feb 22, 2013
Its funny she wasn't crying when she nonchalantly kept driving after tossing this man off her hood and having his blood splashed in her hair...hope this spoiled entitlement child gets to do some hard time with some women who haven't seen men in awhile, let's see if she will be a SOBE party princess then
johnb

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#70 Feb 22, 2013
Arnold wrote:
Justice would be better served with 20 years of community service and a $250,000 fine than 20 years of prison. As a taxpayer, I don't want to pay the costs of imprisoning people unnecessarily. I'd rather they pay the costs of their crimes if they're cooperative.
So Arnold that would be basically setting a precedent for all the other rich brat kids who can buy their way out of killing someone.let's not forget she murdered someone.whether it be with a gun,knife or liquor vehicle combo, its not unneccesary its appropriate.
John

United States

#71 Feb 22, 2013
This is a tragic case. How many of you people who are so harsh on this young woman have driven after having a couple of drinks? Probably the majority.
This is a tragedy, and I for one think she is learning a tough lesson. I see no reason to ruin her life by locking her up for years and years. I think she is suffering already.
I do appreciate the publicity this case has gotten. Maybe it will deter similar behavior. I live in Austin and there is a remarkably similar case here where a young woman killed a pedestrian. She was just convicted of negligent homicide, with a possibility of up to 10 years in prison. I suspect she will serve a few months in prison and then be on parole. Doubtful she will drink and drive again.
In PSL

Port Saint Lucie, FL

#72 Feb 22, 2013
johnb wrote:
Its funny she wasn't crying when she nonchalantly kept driving after tossing this man off her hood and having his blood splashed in her hair...hope this spoiled entitlement child gets to do some hard time with some women who haven't seen men in awhile, let's see if she will be a SOBE party princess then
How do you know she wasn't crying when she hit him? And are you really wishing for this young woman to be sexually assaulted in prison? Doesn't seem like you're in a position to judge anyone.
sandy

Bowling Green, KY

#73 Feb 22, 2013
Sadly, this is a terrible lesson for such a young girl..you have a big price to pay and you owe a great deal to the young family left behind. GODSPEED in your journey forward.
Doug

United States

#74 Feb 22, 2013
I was drinking the other night and was about to drive to SoBe drunk when I ran across your story on Facebook. Needless to say, I got a cab. Your story might have saved me from getting a DUI or worse. Karlie, keep you head up high and be strong. Sorry for the family and sorry for you. No one wins.
Doug

United States

#75 Feb 22, 2013
I honestly think alcohol should be illegal. It ruins so my lives. The government won't do it because it brings in billions of tax dollar at the price of Anerican lives. It's all messed up.
7 News

United States

#76 Feb 22, 2013
Your in the news again. Channel 7. How is your attorney going to get you out of this? Evidence is overwhelming. Anything you would like to say?
7 News

United States

#77 Feb 22, 2013
MIAMI BEACH, Fla.(WSVN)-- The prosecution in the trial of the woman who struck and killed a renowned Miami Beach chef released more than 100 pages of new information, including crime scene photos and audiotapes of witness accounts, Friday.
Among the new evidence the State Attorney's Office presented in the case against 20-year-old bartender Karlie Tomica in the hit-and-run death of executive chef Stefano Riccioletti on Jan. 28 are testimonies from several witnesses, including the Good Samaritan who chased after the defendant.
Police said Tomica's alcohol blood level was three times the legal limit when she struck Riccioletti at the corner of Collins Avenue and 18th Street, right outside the Shore Club, in Miami Beach. Tomicam who has been charged with DUI manslaughter, remains under house arrest.
The newly released evidence prosecutors released includes a recorded statement a male witness gave to Miami Beach Police. "I saw this guy's body who I saw previously standing, flying across our driveway. The way he flew across the driveway, he kind of flew up in the air," the man told officials.
Authorities indicated that Jairo Fuentes, the driver who followed Tomica, caught up with her 40 blocks north of the accident. "She took the left lane and I took the right lane and she had her window down," said Fuentes in a recorded statement. "And then I kept screaming at her [that] she had to stop. She made a circle back south on Collins," he continued. Fuentes saw that the Dodge Charger she was driving had suffered severe damage.
Tomica eventually pulled over at a condo. A worker who spoke to her also gave authorities his account of events. "She sounded like was, like, calm, like, peaceful," the man observed. When asked by police whether Tomica's speech was slurred, the witness answered, "No, she only sounded a little bit worried."
Fuentes' account is critical to the state's case, because prosecutors will argue that Tomica tried to evade Fuentes when she saw him attempting to flag her down in traffic.
WTFMATE

Brisbane, Australia

#78 Feb 22, 2013
Get a life wrote:
Do you people realize that grown men who rape and molest children get less time than this? Their bond is less than this. This is something that they chose to do. Karlie didn't chose to hit the guy. It was an accident. Kind of like when you accidentally hit someone. Yes it was wrong for her to drive away but you all know that you would be scared out of your mind if it was you.
Karlie didn't chose to hit the guy.
ARE YOU F**KING KIDDING ME .. she made choices all night and they were all wrong!!!!
Kapp0059

United States

#79 Feb 22, 2013
Lou wrote:
Wow, how horrible :( RIP Stefano Riccioletti. She sounds like an immature, spoiled, brat! Getting drunk and striking a person, and she doesn't even stop or report what she has done? She deserves to spend the rest of her life in prison and suffer for what she has done to that hardworking father and his family
I'm not defending her, but she was blackout drunk. She didn't have the mental capacity to stop. Si sick of ignorant comments regarding alcoholism.
Kapp0059

United States

#80 Feb 22, 2013
Mick wrote:
This whole story is sad. She is probably an alcoholic, which most people don't understand, and judge her for. When you're an alcoholic you hate yourself on such a deep level that you commit acts that most "normal" people would find completely reprehensible. If you had asked her would she ever choose to do this, of course her answer would be NO. When you lose control of how much liquor you consume it's a scary thing, and when you're an alcoholic you face that possibility every time you drink. We life in a society that views this as an individuals problem, and then we're always shocked when this type of situation happens again...and again...and again. Some other "spoiled bitch" probably killed someone in some other city in the US in the time it's taken me to write this. Are these bad people committing heinous crimes? No...They are (usually) alcoholics with no recovery, circling the drain, it's actually really sad to watch.
That being said it's so sad (much more so) for the victim, and his family as well. They lose a father and a husband and friend, and it's sad and tragic. Karlie committed a number of crimes, and we need laws in order to run a functioning society. She should be charged with vehicular manslaughter, or hit and run, or whatever else they want to charge her with.
She will be sentenced, but I hope she doesn't get the maximum sentence, and I hope alcohol rehabilitation is part of her sentencing or prison sentence. What's the point in giving her the maximum sentence? She's a CHILD WHO MADE A MISTAKE. Yes, it was an awful awful mistake, but we all deserve a chance at rehabilitation. Locking her up and throwing away the key is a stupid answer. Also don't judge her character if you don't know her. A lot of twenty year olds act like spoiled brats, because they are still children. She has no past legal record, so don't expect her to get all this time. The whole situation leaves everyone involved in pain, including her and her family. It's a sad situation that we will probably see time and time again until people realize how serious the disease of drug addiction and alcoholism truly is.
My thoughts exactly. Sad for everyone
Not surprised

Port Saint Lucie, FL

#81 Feb 23, 2013
As much as she was a party girl now she was one in high school as well. I didn't know her personally but I do know for a fact she used to drink freshman yr through out the entire yr. I hope all her party friends can learn from her mistake and change their life. She deserves to be on jail as long as possible!
KPT

United States

#82 Feb 23, 2013
It's a hard lesson and she needs to feel the pain just like the family. If she just got probation what kind of pain is that? Karlie knew of the consequences and now she must rot in jail for a while. I'm not saying forever but a while. I agree with the message above, karlie has been a drinker.
KPT

United States

#83 Feb 23, 2013
Preparing for Prison

While adult prisons, particularly long-term ones, tend to be a fairly mature environment,'Young Offenders Institutions'(for those under 21) can be different, and violence less easy to avoid. The general advice still applies though - be assertive not aggressive, but don't let people take liberties with you, and if necessary be prepared to fight. Some self defence training may give you an edge, but be warned that prison fights are always dirty - you can expect to be bitten, scalded, stabbed, coshed, and/or attacked by multiple assailants. Attacks are likely to take place in the showers or when the victim is still in bed.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hallandale Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 11 min Grey Ghost 1,109,333
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 32 min Who 46,594
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 1 hr Frijoles 69,367
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 2 hr Junket 305,558
FL August 23 Florida Primary Election: Will you vote? (Aug '10) 2 hr VET 2,481
Overpaid Firefighters (Sep '10) 2 hr Big Bruno 331
Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) 4 hr Anne 96,430
•••
•••
Hallandale Dating