Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

There are 318389 comments on the Newsday story from Jan 22, 2008, titled Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision. In it, Newsday reports that:

Thousands of abortion opponents marched from the National Mall to the Supreme Court on Tuesday in their annual remembrance of the court's Roe v. Wade decision.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Ocean56

AOL

#287593 Mar 2, 2013
Corgi lover wrote:
Abstinence has worked for thousands of years. What stopped them from having sex is we actually had respect for ourselves, we knew it was wrong, we had a father and mother who taught it was wrong. This was going on in society for thousands of years. Yep, thousands of years and now all of a sudden its wrong to teach your kids morals.
Yeah, Knutter, and this REGRESSIVE approach to teaching teens about sex has been a miserable FAILURE. I think the "just say no," "premarital sex is wrong" B.S. is why too many teen girls are still having sex and ending up pregnant. Rather counterproductive, wouldn't you say?

Preaching to kids, like YOU do, seldom works, in my view. EXPLAINING to teenagers WHY teen sex is a BAD IDEA, and outlining the benefits of being sexFREE (free FROM sex) might very possibly have much BETTER results.
Ocean56

AOL

#287594 Mar 2, 2013
This might help girls see the difference between the two lifestyles of being a free teenager and being a teen mom BEFORE they make the mistake of having sex and possibly ending up pregnant.

If anyone can think of more benefits of lifestyle #1 or negatives of lifestyle #2, please go ahead and add them.

LIFESTYLE #1 - LIFE AS A FREE TEENAGER:
- Keeping up grades, studying, doing homework
- Participating in after-school activities
- Going to school dances and parties
- Relaxing during summer vacation
- Having fun at the junior or senior prom
- Graduating high school and attending after-graduation parties
- Moving on to college or vocational school with no restrictions

LIFSTYLE #2 - LIFE AS A TEEN MOM:
- Missing school, falling behind in classes
- Getting up two or three times at night to feed a baby
- Endless diaper changes, including stinky ones
- Losing friends who don't want to be around crying babies
- Staying home with a crying baby while friends are out having fun
- Missing high school graduation, or even having to drop out of school
- Losing out on the dream job/career originally planned

As a teenager who is happily NOT pregnant, which lifestyle do YOU want? Wouldn't you rather have the first lifestyle instead of the second?

You can keep Lifestyle #1 very easily, just by saying NO to any guy who pressures you to have sex. If your boyfriend says he'll break up with you if you won't have sex with him, don't cave in. Break up with HIM instead.

Keeping your freedom to BE a teenager; there's no better reason to say no.

“Blessed Be”

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#287595 Mar 2, 2013
AyakaNeo wrote:
<quoted text>Especially since pro-choice doesn't think the way he "supposedly" did when he was "for" abortion. Supposedly this other woman he got pregnant was 40 years old and her mommy was going to take her for an abortion but she (the other woman)called him the night before and suddenly changed her mind and everything worked out perfectly.....for his family anyway.
Exactly.

“Blessed Be”

Location hidden

#287596 Mar 2, 2013
Katie wrote:
<quoted text>
Gtown's "prior" POVs sound like caricatures, imo. A fundie's stereotypes of the PC position.
Yes, that's exactly what it sounds like.
Ocean56

AOL

#287597 Mar 2, 2013
TEEN MOTHERHOOD NEGATIVES:

- Missing school days
- Falling behind in school work
- Losing sleep at night...for many nights
- Worrying about how to pay for formula and diapers
- Staying home with a screaming, crying baby instead of going out and having fun
- Constantly changing wet and stinky diapers
- Giving up your favorite activities, sports, and hobbies
- Missing out on prom
- Losing friends who don't want to be around babies
- Losing out on the college or vocational school of choice
- Dropping out of high school
- Having to settle for low-income jobs, often without benefits
- Always being short of money
- Giving up all dreams of higher education and dream career for a long time, perhaps forever
- Being trapped in the dead-end "job" known as "occupation: housewife."
- Losing all freedom and independence to go and do whatever a girl wants

TEEN MOTHERHOOD POSITIVES:

None

The way I see it, there are NO positives of teen motherhood at all. The only people who insist it's a good thing fall into one of two categories; 1. those who never wanted girls to have higher education and career in the first place, and 2. girls who already teen mothers and have to make the best of it, no matter how truly unhappy they might be.

Girls cannot afford to let themselves believe that teen motherhood, which too often leads to real poverty, is better than higher education and career. The best key to escape the trap of poverty, or to avoid falling into it to begin with, is EDUCATION. Without that education, girls risk being trapped in the cycle of poverty, which they may never escape from.

So, girls, the next time a boyfriend pressures you for sex, ask yourself if that 20 or 30 minutes of fun is worth giving up all your freedom to be a normal teenager. Hint: the sensible answer is NO.
Ocean56

AOL

#287598 Mar 2, 2013
IMO one of the most effective ways to prevent more cases of unwanted teen pregnancy is to help teen girls know what to say. Some girls may not be very sure about what to say to boyfriends who pressure them to have sex. They may be afraid a boyfriend would break up with them if they say no. What these girls need to know is that a boyfriend who pressures a girl to have sex with him can just as easily break up with her anyway, right after she tells him she's pregnant.

Also, NO birth control method is 100% guaranteed against unwanted pregnancy, including BC pills or condoms. Although birth control must always be used to reduce the pregnancy risk as much as possible, it does NOT eliminate the risk entirely. It is a serious mistake for a teen girl to believe she can never get pregnant because she's on birth control. She CAN.

The following is a script that might help more teen girls say NO to having sex:

GUY: I think it's time for us to have sex.

GIRL: I don't think so.

GUY: Why not?

GIRL: I don't want to get pregnant, that's why not. I don't want to get an STD either.

GUY: You worry too much. I can use a condom.

GIRL: Condoms can break. I could still get pregnant if that happens.

GUY: Okay, so you can get on birth control pills or something.

GIRL: Birth control pills can fail sometimes, so I could still get pregnant. So forget it. I want to finish high school, get my diploma, go to college and then have a career. No way am I going to risk getting pregnant and get stuck being a teen mom. That would wreck everything for me.

GUY: Well if you won't have sex with me, I'll have to look for someone else.

GIRL: Fine. You can get another girl pregnant, not me. If that happens, have fun being a teen dad. I'll be celebrating my freedom and watching you give up yours. And we're DONE. Good bye and good luck.

Then the girl walks away, free and NOT PREGNANT.

A guy who pressures a girl for sex isn't worth keeping as a boyfriend. A girl is NOT a loser if she doesn't have a guy in her life while still in high school.
Ocean56

AOL

#287599 Mar 2, 2013
Babies are EXPENSIVE

One of the most overlooked factors of being a mom, whether you're a teen or young adult, is how much it really costs to care for a baby and child. Many girls/women have no idea whatsoever how truly EXPENSIVE it is to buy all the supplies a baby will need, even in the first two months.

So, just to do a little research myself, I took a notebook with me last year on one of my shopping trips to the grocery store, and wrote down the costs for items that parents will need for a baby. Here's a short price list:

Diapers - Huggies (to 14 pounds) 40/pkg.$9.99
Formula - Enfamil, newborn, 6 2oz. btl/pkg.$7.99
Wipes - Pampers baby wipes, 72/pkg.$2.79
Bottles - Evenflo, 3/pkg.$5.69
Bottle cleaning brush, 1/pkg.$2.99
Pacifiers - Nuk, 2/pkg.$3.69
Diaper rash cream - Desitin, 1 tube $5.45
Baby powder - Johnson's lrg. economy size $4.59
Baby wash - Johnson's lrg.$2.79
Baby shampoo - Johnson's med. size $3.99

The above are just the BASE prices, which were priced on 3/26/12. The cost for diapers and formula will quickly multiply, depending on how much formula the baby needs and how many diaper changes the baby must have to keep his/her skin healthy. Diapers must be changed quite frequently to avoid diaper rash, which occurs as a result of babies being in a wet or stinky diaper for too long.

Let's assume, as an example, that the baby will have to be changed six times a day. The cost of diapers, which is $9.99 for a package of 40 can multiply as follows:

6 diapers per day, x 7 days = 42 diapers
42 diapers per week, x 4 weeks =$168 per month

The cost of formula can multiply a lot too, depending on how much formula is used per day. When my son was a newborn and infant, he could easily consume a bottle at each feeding, which could be 2 or 3 ounces. If the baby is bigger, he/she will need more at each feeding.

The base cost for a six-pack of Enfamil ready-to-use 2oz. bottles is $7.99, which is really $8.00 minus a penny. It can multiply as follows:

2 six-packs per week @$8.00 =$16.00 per week
$16.00 x 4 weeks =$64.00 month

Remember, these figures are just ESTIMATES. Parents may choose different types of formula, but they have to know what the cost is, and they'll have to multiply it for a monthly estimate.

Also, these costs are for diapers and formula ALONE. Parents will also have to buy clothes, a car seat (required by law), crib, stroller, infant seat, baby toys, and the list goes on.

It will be difficult, and in some cases impossible, for girls and young women to buy all these necessities for a baby, especially when the moms are teens and are too young to even work if they are younger than 16. Even moms over the age of 16 must graduate high school first, in order to obtain better jobs.
Ocean56

AOL

#287600 Mar 2, 2013
(Babies are EXPENSIVE...continued)

High Ticket Items

In every segment of the "16 and Pregnant" documentary, the girl makes the point that she had no idea how EXPENSIVE raising a baby is. Too often, doing the math to find out what items are needed and how much each item will cost isn't done until the teen girl is several months along. IMO waiting several months to find out what costs are involved is a huge mistake.

The MUST-have items that a teen needs to have if she plans to keep and raise the baby are as follows:

1. Car seat (required by LAW)
2. Crib
3. Stroller
4. Diaper bag (with portable changing pad)
5. Special garbage pail for diapers

This is IN ADDITION to the above list, which was for everyday items like diapers, formula, bottles, wipes, pacifiers, and other things that mom will need every day. Some car seats can go as high as $200, and a crib can cost $200 or even more. I remember paying $500+ for my son's crib, and the car seat was about $150. That was over 15 years ago, and I am sure the prices for some of these items have gone up, depending on how expensive the store is.

Teen girls and young women need to be aware of how EXPENSIVE it is to raise a baby, preferably long BEFORE a girl makes the mistake of having sex and ending up pregnant.
feces for jesus

Bellmore, NY

#287601 Mar 2, 2013
Gtown71 wrote:
<quoted text>
No, just you. Looks like someone liked my feces for atheist name. ;)
The fool said in his heart, there is no God.
I may be a fool for Jesus, but you're just a fool.
Your pathetic assumptions make you the fool.

“Blessed Be”

Location hidden

#287602 Mar 2, 2013
LiIrabbitfoofoo wrote:
<quoted text>
Bullshit.
Annually, there were 129 million people seen in hospitals in 2011.
http://www.aha.org/research/index.shtml
Catholic hospitals serve only 5.5 million annually.
http://www.thenewatlantis.com/publications/he...
Sorry Stinky, that's not 20%.
<quoted text>
No they dont. That would be United Way.
http://www.forbes.com/top-charities/
<quoted text>
Any organization that's harmed as many chilren and DELIBERATELY is STILL hiding it, is one the world could do without.
Have they dont good? Yes. Have they also done great harm? YES.
Ratzi the Nazi not being in charge anymore is a good start at mending their ways.
"Bullshit.
http://www.thenewatlantis.com/publications/he ...
Sorry Stinky, that's not 20%."

You're right, it's not. In fact, it's less than 4.5%. No wonder he deflected, and wouldn't tell me where he was getting that figure. He knew it was wrong.

“Dan IS the Man”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#287603 Mar 2, 2013
Corgi lover wrote:
<quoted text>God doesn't believe in moral relativism, you are going to be in for a shock.
You speak for God?

“Dan IS the Man”

Location hidden

#287604 Mar 2, 2013
The Prince wrote:
<quoted text>
Cute pagan deflection. Ok, the coronor determines the cause of death. In this case, fetal himicide to you pagans. Then the DA brings charges against the individaul responsible for the crime.
Simple, when you aren't playing the bitter pagan word games.
Pointing out the fact that you were wrong is a deflection? I don't think so, Tom Tom.

And I don't think this happens in every case. You keep stating it as fact then bring on some proof.

“Dan IS the Man”

Location hidden

#287605 Mar 2, 2013
The Prince wrote:
<quoted text>
I heard one woman say she had her son mutilated by circumcision becasue she hated when she dated uncircumcized guys. She didn;t want any women to see her son with an ugly "tutrleneck" on his penis.
The thought process fo a selfish man hating pagan woman.
Uh huh...sure Tommyboy, sure.

“Dan IS the Man”

Location hidden

#287606 Mar 2, 2013
cpeter1313 wrote:
No, a coroner would at best determine that death was caused by blunt-force trauma or whatever. He cannot make any determination of charges. The DA brings charges if the facts meet the legal criteria AND if he has a reasonable case.
<quoted text>
C'mon cpeter, stop "deflecting" by stating facts.

Since: Dec 09

Location hidden

#287607 Mar 2, 2013
The Prince wrote:
<quoted text>
Cute pagan deflection. Ok, the coronor determines the cause of death. In this case, fetal himicide to you pagans. Then the DA brings charges against the individaul responsible for the crime.
Simple, when you aren't playing the bitter pagan word games.
Fetal homicide is not a cause of death.

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#287608 Mar 2, 2013
cpeter1313 wrote:
Abstinence works when people decide to be abstinent. Not everyone does, and no one has to. History, btw, is full of people preaching abstinence. The problem? It's completely against most peoples' nature. We have a sex drive; it's one of the strongest drives we have. Not to mention that sexual activity is healthy.
<quoted text>
We have morals, a code to live by . We are not dogs in heat.

“Blessed Be”

Location hidden

#287609 Mar 2, 2013
AyakaNeo wrote:
<quoted text>Fetal homicide is not a cause of death.
No it's not.
No Relativism

Chicago, IL

#287610 Mar 2, 2013
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course. Many. But not by removing someone else's right to decide what will, and will not, happen inside their own uterus. And not by forcing them to act as life support for someone else against their will.
And guess what? Whining on a message board saves no one.
NR: "Bhitler, is there a human (other than yourself) who you'd try to save from being killed?"

Bhitler: "Of Course."

Then you can understand why prolifers want to save those humans in the womb. We don't discriminate.

Bhilter: "But not by removing someone else's right to decide what will, and will not, happen inside their own uterus"

Right to decide what?

To kill.

Bhitler: "And not by forcing them to act as life support for someone else against their will."

Are you talking about pregnancy? Mankind was created to procreate via pregnancy. It's not abnormal or a disease. It's a normal part of who we are as human beings.

Your attempts to dehumanize mankind fails each & every time.

“Blessed Be”

Location hidden

#287611 Mar 2, 2013
No Relativism wrote:
<quoted text>
NR: "Bhitler, is there a human (other than yourself) who you'd try to save from being killed?"
Bhitler: "Of Course."
Then you can understand why prolifers want to save those humans in the womb. We don't discriminate.
The only fetus that's any of your business, is your own.

I'm sorry, but your strawman arguments have no bearing on what I actually said. You don't get to make up a position for me and argue with me about things I haven't said or done.

Try to show a little integrity for a change.
No Relativism

Chicago, IL

#287612 Mar 2, 2013
LiIrabbitfoofoo wrote:
<quoted text>
Bullshit.
http://www.thenewatlantis.com/publications/he...
Sorry Stinky, that's not 20%.
<quoted text>
No they dont. That would be United Way.
http://www.forbes.com/top-charities/
<quoted text>
Any organization that's harmed as many chilren and DELIBERATELY is STILL hiding it, is one the world could do without.
Have they dont good? Yes. Have they also done great harm? YES.
Ratzi the Nazi not being in charge anymore is a good start at mending their ways.
Honey Foo Foo,

1. According to your site, Catholic hospitals "serve 5.5 million OVERNIGHT patients annually, and many millions more on an outpatient basis. The Catholic Church is the single largest provider of not-for-profit health care in our country."

Why did you only include overnight patients of Catholic hospitals when comparing to TOTAL number of patients (not just overnight stays) seen at all U.S. hospitals? You're a very intellectually dishonest troll.

You're trying to say only 4% of American patients are seen in Catholic Hospitals? How did you think you could pull that off? Just eyeballing your number makes one see your obvious farse.

One in six patients in America (17%) are seen at Catholic hospitals.
http://ncronline.org/news/catholic-hospitals-...

a) The Forbes article you cited lists the largest American charity organizations using the metric 'amount of private donations' for the fiscal year. It did NOT measure how many poor, needy were helped.

Here is all Forbes was saying: United way brought in $3.9 billion in private donations, while Catholic Charities brought in $1.6 billion private donations. Period.

B) I hope you realize that you were trying to compare an organization that serves nationally (United Way) w/ an organization that serves the world.

I'll repeat what I posted previously: Catholic Charities helps more poor, needy, underserved than any other world organization.
________

Foo, why are you consistently & intentionally dishonest? It not only makes you look like an imbecile, but ultimately harms your cause.

You have ZERO credibility. You are not trustworthy.

Slippery snake.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hallandale Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min VetnorsGate 1,621,238
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 5 hr Can t Have It Bot... 64,007
florida Adoptees and Birth parents Reunite! (Jun '16) Sun joan 8
News Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) Sat zazz 98,551
I'm a 13 year old male looking for a girl to ch... (Jul '15) Oct 20 niqo 14
News Key West's Fantasy Fest is back despite Hurrica... Oct 18 Reeltime 4
News Hialeah Cop Accused of Forcing Teen to Strip Ne... Oct 18 Aquadick 6

Hallandale Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hallandale Mortgages