Ban on pit bulls faces committee review

Ban on pit bulls faces committee review

There are 236 comments on the Springfield News Leader story from Feb 23, 2006, titled Ban on pit bulls faces committee review. In it, Springfield News Leader reports that:

A Springfield City Council committee is considering a citywide ban on pit bull dogs that would restrict current owners of the dogs and prohibit new pit bulls from coming to town.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Springfield News Leader.

First Prev
of 12
Next Last
Kari

Oklahoma City, OK

#1 Feb 24, 2006
Ban them. Please for the sake of our kids.
Tracey

Las Vegas, NV

#2 May 31, 2006
Don't ban the animal because HUMANS are stupid..........I've had dogs, pits also, and if loved ans raised properly, they are a wonderful animals. People scream about banning them---What about all the pedophiles, rapist and parents who just don't give a Sh*t about their kids? Why don't more people worry and scream about those issues? Aren't they just as important? What about the war ocuuring right at this moment? And our soliders dying????

And all you all can say is Ban the pit????
Porsha Butts

United States

#3 Jun 2, 2006
I do not agree with the people out there that think all Pit Bulls are bad and should be banded. I have a pit and he is the best dog I've ever had. I deffinitly believe It's the owners. A dog looks up to you just like a kid does they do what you tell them too. I'ts 100% the owner.
Shar

United States

#4 Jun 8, 2006
The sad part is it is the owner that raises them not the dog. Before we know it, there will be bans on Rots and other bigger breed dogs. How about doing the same for the smaller breeds. They are usually the worsest of them all. Cocker Spaniels are notorious for being mean and biting for no reason at all. My neice was bitten from a pom. and she had to have several stitches because of it. That's my two cents.
Deanna Smith

Saint Louis, MO

#5 Jun 11, 2006
I think the owners of mean dogs should be destroyed not the dogs. After all, dogs are conditioned, and this is the fault of the owners.
F Brown Ash Grove MO

Mount Vernon, MO

#6 Jun 21, 2006
My son-in-law was the recent target of a pit bull attack while riding his bicycle on the bike trail near Bolivar, MO. Come to find out, the same dog had attacked at least two other adult males previously, and it then attacked another one the day after it bit my son-in-law. Apparently there is no means of restraining this dog in the future because the county has no ordinance against them running free. The comments above (all except one) favor no ban on pit bulls and seem to conclude that they only attack (are mean, bite, are vicious) because someone has conditioned them to do so. If that is true, why don't other breeds have the same aggressive behavior as consistently as pit bulls do? Obviously this opinion holds no water since other breeds also have "stupid" owners! It has been obvious to me for years that, if people insist on owning pit bulls, their dogs should always be fenced in or restrained in some other foolproof manner in order to protect the general public, not to mention the many children who have been attacked. My son-in-law's misfortune has only served to reinforce this opinion.
joleah

United States

#7 Jul 1, 2006
other breeds do have the same behavior!!!!! pit bulls are no different then chihuahuas other than size...chihuahuas are even meaner than pits so should we ban them too???? get real people!!!!
Sharon

San Diego, CA

#8 Sep 28, 2006
I have had my Pit Bull, Dugan, for around 2 years now and he is the best dog I have ever had. It is so true that its the owners fault not the dogs. My last dog was a Lab and I had to put him down because he bit a little girl but my pit bull does nothing but lick people to death!!!
We just recently had a baby as well and he has shown no agression to her at all. She is 5 months old now and they get along just fine. Banning pits is not the best solution. They are WONDERFUL dogs.
Laura

Brownsburg, IN

#9 Sep 29, 2006
Kari wrote:
Ban them. Please for the sake of our kids.
why ban them? its not there fault that they are mean like that certin ones our becasue of the owner its not the dog its the owner because any dog can attack!! i had a pit bull and she was the best dam dog in the world she wasent mean but we trained her to protect our house and us but it dosent mean she a bad dog see a dog looks up to u jus like ur kids would it really not the dog and if they ever banned pit bulls they would have to do somthin to take ma dog away from me casue i love them to death!! but thats ma opinion!
Laura

Brownsburg, IN

#10 Sep 29, 2006
why ban them? its not there fault that they are mean like that certin ones our becasue of the owner its not the dog its the owner because any dog can attack!! i had a pit bull and she was the best dam dog in the world she wasent mean but we trained her to protect our house and us but it dosent mean she a bad dog see a dog looks up to u jus like ur kids would it really not the dog and if they ever banned pit bulls they would have to do somthin to take ma dog away from me casue i love them to death!! but thats ma opinion
Larry Alexander

United States

#11 Oct 8, 2006
Porsha Butts wrote:
I do not agree with the people out there that think all Pit Bulls are bad and should be banded. I have a pit and he is the best dog I've ever had. I deffinitly believe It's the owners. A dog looks up to you just like a kid does they do what you tell them too. I'ts 100% the owner.
You said it, It's a 100% the owner of those dogs that are half way safe around those pitt bulls, They are a danger to the public, Those animals are not like your otheir dogs they was breeded to be a fighting dog, You can't trust them they can even turn on their own masters and kill or injure their masters as well as they can a stranger. These dog's are used by meth lab's and otheir drug dealers to protect and guard them and their drugs from The police and otheir dealers who might try and harm or steal their drugs. I'm a Police officer and when I see a pit bull in someones yard I drive by I always stop and make a note in my note book of the address and I keep a close watch on those house's where I see a pit bull at." Pit's and drug dealers are often connected. I' don't know why any one would want to risk owning one of those dogs Unless they have something to hide from the law, something they want protection for. So if you don't want me watching your house you had better keep your pit tied up around back or in the house and if you don't want him shot you better make sure he is tied on a heavey duty chain so he can't get loose. Cause if I get a call where he has hurt or killed some child that dog is going to be shot on sight and you maybe arrested for owning that animal and not keeping him on a big chain and locked so he can't get loose. Its very possiable for a owner of a pit that don't keep that animal securely tied with a strong chain to be charged with a crime.My job is to serve and protect the citizens of willard missouri that's what I'm paid to do."
Julie

Gig Harbor, WA

#12 Oct 9, 2006
This whole ban thing is so sterotypical, and equalivient to racism. People won't stand for that will they?? Don't judge people buy their color or religion, right? Pitbulls are loving, faithful and wonderful additions to the family. I have two pitbulls along with my three sons. These dogs wouldn't hurt anyone. They are no different than any other dog. Doberman Pinchers, Rotts, German Shepards, cocker spaniels, Pomeranians, Yorkies,,, what about them??? Are we going to ban them? I think little dogs will bite you far more than that of a larger breed. Yet banning them isn't going to happen is it! Not lets go and be ignorant racists that's a good thing to teach our children. Instead of respecting a strange animal and not tease and animal they do not know. I myself will move with my pitbulls, to a communittee that isn't ignorant and racists before giving up and killing a family member.
Callie

Springfield, MO

#13 Oct 17, 2006
I bought my boyfriend a pit for our first christmas together. His name was zeus and he was my baby boy! I loved him very much! Sadly, he was killed on the highway. Not a day goes by that I don't miss that dog! I think it is very wrong of people to want to ban pit bulls just because there have been a few bad ones. There are also many incredibly smart, sweet, and loyal pits out there, why make them suffer? I recently bought another pit, Coco. He is 3 months old and as sweet as can be. Someone would have to put me down before I would let them even think about harming my pit!
Hoyt

United States

#14 Oct 25, 2006
Kari wrote:
Ban them. Please for the sake of our kids.
That is the stupidist thing I have ever heard pit bulls should be just like any other dog if you say ban pit bulls lets ban whatever kind of dog you have I bet you would not want to do that would you so why dont you get over your self and keep people away from the pit if you think that they in danger of the pit bull and leave them alone they are only dogs they go by there instects I think they are some of the best dogs you can have it is how they are raised determining there actions so lay off.
Dan

United States

#15 Oct 26, 2006
Larry Alexander wrote:
<quoted text> You said it, It's a 100% the owner of those dogs that are half way safe around those pitt bulls, They are a danger to the public, Those animals are not like your otheir dogs they was breeded to be a fighting dog, You can't trust them they can even turn on their own masters and kill or injure their masters as well as they can a stranger. These dog's are used by meth lab's and otheir drug dealers to protect and guard them and their drugs from The police and otheir dealers who might try and harm or steal their drugs. I'm a Police officer and when I see a pit bull in someones yard I drive by I always stop and make a note in my note book of the address and I keep a close watch on those house's where I see a pit bull at." Pit's and drug dealers are often connected. I' don't know why any one would want to risk owning one of those dogs Unless they have something to hide from the law, something they want protection for. So if you don't want me watching your house you had better keep your pit tied up around back or in the house and if you don't want him shot you better make sure he is tied on a heavey duty chain so he can't get loose. Cause if I get a call where he has hurt or killed some child that dog is going to be shot on sight and you maybe arrested for owning that animal and not keeping him on a big chain and locked so he can't get loose. Its very possiable for a owner of a pit that don't keep that animal securely tied with a strong chain to be charged with a crime.My job is to serve and protect the citizens of willard missouri that's what I'm paid to do."
All pitbulls are not bred to be fighters. I have owned a pitbull for a long time now and have never once seen the slightest sign of aggression from her.
Sure, a pitbull can turn on you and bite you but so can any other dog out there. Pitbulls who belong to irresponsible owners may be a danger to the public but pitbulls who have responsible owners are just like any other dog out there. All this law does is punish responsible pitbull owners. Think about it, do you think an irresponsible pet owner is going to register his animal? I highly doubt it. There are also responsible pet owners out there who don't register their animals..and they are made into criminals because of this law. Registering your animal isn't a bad idea, but it is when it's breed specific. In X amount of years the pitbull ban will be replaced by another breed and so on and so on. There is no scientific evidence to prove that pitbulls are more likely to bite someone than any other dog and I don't suppose there will ever be. They are however much stronger and able to injure someone than most other dogs but there are also a great deal of other breeds with the same, or even greater, capabilities as them. Where is the law
against these other breeds? Also the number of deaths from dog bites is a very very small statistic. If I were a police officer I would probably be more worried about drunk drivers and murderers than I would be of pitbulls. As far as my reason of owning a pitbull it's because she's a great dog. She loves to cuddle and give me kisses..she's everything and more that I can ask for out of a dog. There are good pitbulls out there too dude.
Chris from florida

Panama City, FL

#16 Oct 26, 2006
People who are uneducated about dogs shouldnt even comment if you think that you should ban an entire breed of dog because your thinking there "born killers" or something of that nature is just stupid...punish the idiots who buy the dogs and make them aggressive..not the breed..ive owned nothing but pitbulls my whole life i have 3 right now not one of them have so much of tried to bite anyone they love children and especially love my handicap cousin who is in a wheelchair with cerebral palsy and they love other dogs..my friends all have pittbulls and my family also there all around new born babys other dogs and people all the time and not one of them have ever tried to bite anyone or anything so why dont you people who think about banning an entire breed of dog sit down and think about that for a min i know it might be hard but if you raise any dog from a puppy and your soul purpose is to make that animal aggressive thats what will happen no matter what the breed...so punish the people who raised them not the dog...
JMN

Springfield, MO

#17 Nov 10, 2006
Pit bulls are only focused on more because of their background, I guess you could say that they get "picked on" because they were TAUGHT to fight. It can and has happened with many other breeds of dogs, not only pits. The people who are commenting on this subject saying that we should ban these pets need to get out and do their homework because it is NOT a one-sided road.
Sal

AOL

#18 Nov 11, 2006
There were kids killed, disfigured in the UK untill these fighting dogs that were "created" to fight and kill were banned.

Most dogs wont attack outside the property but Pitbulls will and have a long history of doing so. In Canada and other civilized places these fighting dogs are banned .

Its sad that in USA some politicians are more concerned about the "rights" of pitbulls than the children in the neighborhood . An escaped pitbull might just kill a child as they return from school but again it seems some politicians feel fighting breeds should have "rights" .
Jamie

Tupelo, MS

#19 Nov 22, 2006
You are just another cop on a power trip. That is so ridiculous to make the assumption that people who own pit bulls are doing something illegal. Keep driving around and wasting time on writing down notes on who owns a pit bull. You are wasting time on writing your stupid notes. You should use that time to catch real criminals such as rapists, murderers, etc. You should not be able to be a policeman. Your job is to protect and serve the public, but keep making stupid notes that are a waste of time. You are a waste of a good policeman. Think about that!!!
Larry Alexander wrote:
<quoted text> You said it, It's a 100% the owner of those dogs that are half way safe around those pitt bulls, They are a danger to the public, Those animals are not like your otheir dogs they was breeded to be a fighting dog, You can't trust them they can even turn on their own masters and kill or injure their masters as well as they can a stranger. These dog's are used by meth lab's and otheir drug dealers to protect and guard them and their drugs from The police and otheir dealers who might try and harm or steal their drugs. I'm a Police officer and when I see a pit bull in someones yard I drive by I always stop and make a note in my note book of the address and I keep a close watch on those house's where I see a pit bull at." Pit's and drug dealers are often connected. I' don't know why any one would want to risk owning one of those dogs Unless they have something to hide from the law, something they want protection for. So if you don't want me watching your house you had better keep your pit tied up around back or in the house and if you don't want him shot you better make sure he is tied on a heavey duty chain so he can't get loose. Cause if I get a call where he has hurt or killed some child that dog is going to be shot on sight and you maybe arrested for owning that animal and not keeping him on a big chain and locked so he can't get loose. Its very possiable for a owner of a pit that don't keep that animal securely tied with a strong chain to be charged with a crime.My job is to serve and protect the citizens of willard missouri that's what I'm paid to do."
Vicks

Sherbrooke, Canada

#20 Feb 6, 2007
Why ban them? if pitbulls attack its just because they have bad owners like if your parents beat you when you were a kid you would be agressive... so its the same with pitbulls or any other dogs if you ban pitbulls why not ban all the other dogs. because they were treated bad they will be more agressive just like any other random dog. they are more dangerouse just because when they bit they dont let go but thats good if some one tryed to hurt you and your good to them they will help you. they are loyal dogs and are the best dog if your nice with them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 12
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Halfway Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
hillary clinton irs investigation Aug 2 Norman Vn 1
Puppy Mills (Nov '09) Jul 30 For the love of dogs 20
Lisa brown dog breeder on victory rd in Buffalo... Jul 29 Animal lover 2
Chris Crowley Jul '16 Nurseaholic10 1
louisburg murder?? (Feb '14) Jun '16 Urbana res 14
News Roofing Company Owner Sentenced for Harboring I... (Feb '10) Jun '16 harrywingo84 8
amber harness (Jan '16) Apr '16 that one chick 4

Halfway Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Halfway Mortgages