Salvation Army kicks off 'Red Kettle'...

Salvation Army kicks off 'Red Kettle' holiday fundraising campaign

There are 5 comments on the Santa Cruz Sentinel story from Nov 23, 2010, titled Salvation Army kicks off 'Red Kettle' holiday fundraising campaign. In it, Santa Cruz Sentinel reports that:

The local Salvation Army chapter kicked off its 2010 holiday donation at a luncheon Monday at the Cocoanut Grove, where just under 250 attendees donated more than $20,000, about $2,000 above what was raised at last year's event.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Santa Cruz Sentinel.

Spare Change

Santa Cruz, CA

#1 Nov 23, 2010
Family Christmas tradition: Go through the house, locating change that has escaped under the beds, in odd drawers, under cushions, and other places where you wouldn't normally store cash. Give it all to Sally Ann. One year, it was over $100. Why? Sally Ann was there for a family member when he needed it. long ago.
Merry Christmas

Windsor, NC

#2 Nov 23, 2010
Some advise: Please use a chain to secure the kettle. There are scum bags out there that like to steal them.
The Scream

Aptos, CA

#3 Nov 23, 2010
It was a lot harder to resist the red kettle back in the day when the bell-ringer was an old SA regular in uniform. They'd stand outside the bank on Friday, when most paychecks were cashed, and give you the eye as you walked out the door counting your money. It was hard NOT to give something.

But lately the SA has just been hiring guys for minimum wage to mind the kettle, and for them it's just a job. And you know it is. I haven't thrown any money in the kettle for years. Write checks to the food bank instead.
Robert

San Jose, CA

#4 Nov 23, 2010
We always make sure to have pocket change or dollar bills handy this time of year as our young son likes to donate. We have instilled in him charity for those in need...

Every year we gather the old toys that have been out grown and take them to Goodwill...we donate to Secon Harvest Food Bank and other charities in his name. I hope this will carry on into his adult years as well.
Seeking Susans Money

Santa Cruz, CA

#5 Nov 23, 2010
How does donating to Goodwill count as charity?
Can someone please explain who receives aid when people purchase the overpriced, second-hand goods?
Just seeking a little clarity here...is the $ used in this community? who is helped?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Half Moon Bay Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Maxine Waters Jul 22 Roger 1
Steve Barrett (Feb '15) Jul 9 Quatar 5
News Business Owners Raise More Complaints About Yelp (Dec '08) Jun '17 Yelp the new Enron 95
My special one May '17 Alice 1
News Future PayPal CEO Dan Schulman Makes First Publ... (Mar '15) Apr '16 CommonSense 5
News What's all the fuss about the Coastal Commission? (Feb '16) Feb '16 WooF 2
News Glance at the Past - Ft. Bragg Advocate-News (Aug '09) Jan '16 Jay Arnold 5

Half Moon Bay Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Half Moon Bay Mortgages