Letters to the Editor - Letters

Letters to the Editor - Letters

There are 13 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Jun 10, 2009, titled Letters to the Editor - Letters. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

Anyone who manages a business can easily put themselves in Gov. Linda Lingle's shoes.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

dargent77

Nashville, TN

#1 Jun 10, 2009
Nice front page photo of the 22 year old getting a year in prison for revealing someone's HIV status. Who cares? Come to Nashville, Tenn. Mary Winkler shot her pastor husband in the back while he slept and got 3 months.
Got her children back too. Another Dr. killed his wife and mother-in-law and got 5 years. Got his medical license back too. Justice is blind all right, as a bat.
willie

Plymouth, MI

#2 Jun 10, 2009
Steve McKean - rather than constantly increasing taxes on "the rich"

Quote "Applying targeted luxury taxes might also be used to achieve more balance."

just do as the governor is proposing, spread the pain around. The private sector has already suffered and the state workers just keep on keeping on. Is it hard? You bet but they are NOT some sort of special class.

If a 3 day furlough means the loss of services then perhaps they need to re visit the work being performed by them. Many businesses reduce staff by 15 or 20% and STILL manage to get the job done, it is called actually WORKING all the hours of your shift and not goofing off. The remaining workers pick up the slack. If state workers don't understand that then perhaps they can be replaced by folks who do have that work ethic, there are lots out there willing to do that.
Pau

Long Beach, CA

#3 Jun 10, 2009
willie wrote:
Steve McKean - rather than constantly increasing taxes on "the rich"
Quote "Applying targeted luxury taxes might also be used to achieve more balance."
just do as the governor is proposing, spread the pain around. The private sector has already suffered and the state workers just keep on keeping on. Is it hard? You bet but they are NOT some sort of special class.
If a 3 day furlough means the loss of services then perhaps they need to re visit the work being performed by them. Many businesses reduce staff by 15 or 20% and STILL manage to get the job done, it is called actually WORKING all the hours of your shift and not goofing off. The remaining workers pick up the slack. If state workers don't understand that then perhaps they can be replaced by folks who do have that work ethic, there are lots out there willing to do that.
This is an accurate assessment and I agree. The only thing though is that workers with a great work ethic aren't being hired. In fact, nobody is doing any sort of hiring these days...
Big John-Hawaii Kai

Kailua, HI

#4 Jun 10, 2009
Ref Donald Mack's ltr, "Higher standards for governor needed." Why just the governor and their staff? How about our legislators? Most are attorneys who have no business sense and most, if not all, have never worked in the public sector. These criteria that you put forth for the governor and staff should be equally applied to anyone running for public office.
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#5 Jun 10, 2009
Steve McKean - Amazing! You're "willing" to cut the furlough days in half and raise taxes 50% in order to save the entitlements of 40,000 who just 1 year ago were working because businesses were making money and paying taxes.

Now that these same businesses are downsizing or gone, you're will to increase the burden to those who are left standing just to keep these people employed?

I guess you have a stake in either the people who work there or the retirement plan.
alice

Kahului, HI

#6 Jun 10, 2009
Big John-Hawaii Kai wrote:
Ref Donald Mack's ltr, "Higher standards for governor needed." Why just the governor and their staff? How about our legislators? Most are attorneys who have no business sense and most, if not all, have never worked in the public sector. These criteria that you put forth for the governor and staff should be equally applied to anyone running for public office.
well said..we need greater productivity and comeptence throughout government here
oldfart

Honolulu, HI

#7 Jun 10, 2009
Mr. Mckean, you are either a public union hack, a state government worker or both. I know for certain, you are not an economist.(or very rational)

Imposing a 40% increase in state taxes in this recession is not logical. it will make things worse.

Since: Aug 08

Makawao, HI

#8 Jun 10, 2009
Has anyone suggested that the state should just spend less money?
LOL LOL LOL
Johannes

Dallas, TX

#9 Jun 10, 2009
i suggest hawaii spend itself into oblivion, then the volcanoes will take over and the ohia trees will grow over everything and the fish will become plentiful and the vog will increase and the ozone will increase and the highways will be full and more red tape will be in government that will create more jobs for folks to insert punctuation into long run on sentences that make absolutely no sense.
sue mason

Honolulu, HI

#10 Jun 10, 2009
Willie, it seems only the private sector earns a living as opposed to the public sector. By your own words businesses have cut their payrolls by 15% and STILL do the work. Is it possible those 15% weren't actually working and earning their pay as well..perish the thought? Is it possible that management was 15% less efficient? The management of the State is probably way more than 15% efficient, however, the burden of the deficit and inefficiency is placed on the workers when it really should be on management. Do you think current management will say they are 15% less efficient?
wendell

Oakland, CA

#11 Jun 10, 2009
sue mason wrote:
Willie, it seems only the private sector earns a living as opposed to the public sector. By your own words businesses have cut their payrolls by 15% and STILL do the work. Is it possible those 15% weren't actually working and earning their pay as well..perish the thought? Is it possible that management was 15% less efficient? The management of the State is probably way more than 15% efficient, however, the burden of the deficit and inefficiency is placed on the workers when it really should be on management. Do you think current management will say they are 15% less efficient?
I think he means private sector organizations adjusts staffing to sales or revenue levels accordingly. And so should the public sector.

Private companies also generally don't raise prices of goods and services during a downturn thinking to make up for loss of sales or revenue volume. And so shouldn't the public sector, i.e. raise taxes.
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#12 Jun 10, 2009
wendell wrote:
<quoted text>
I think he means private sector organizations adjusts staffing to sales or revenue levels accordingly. And so should the public sector.
Private companies also generally don't raise prices of goods and services during a downturn thinking to make up for loss of sales or revenue volume. And so shouldn't the public sector, i.e. raise taxes.
Also unlike the public sector, private companies can't force you to pay higher prices or be thrown in jail.
willie

Plymouth, MI

#13 Jun 11, 2009
Yeah and Wendell interpeted my words exactly Sue.

I do like the union mindset of everything being "managements" fault though, been hearing that tune for all of my 58 years and it simply is NOT true. There may be too much management I will grant that but their efficiency being off 15 or more percent? Funny.

So what is YOUR solution if we can't cut state workers hours and save some money, raise taxes? Take away a layer of management so they can really goof off without having to worry about managers catching them?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Haiku Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kula Music Thread (Dec '14) Jul '16 Musikologist 5
News Maui police arrest 3 in drug bust - News (Feb '09) Jun '16 Sativa 15
News Reminders for Hawaii residents to prepare for d... Apr '16 June Ann 1
News Hula competitors avoid iconic flower because of... Mar '16 DILF 10
Pukalani Music Selection (Sep '12) Feb '16 Musikologist 12
News Hawaiian Islands Weather Details & Aloha Paragr... (Feb '16) Feb '16 ben 1
News Gas prices drop, but could it be more? (Jan '15) Sep '15 District 1 44

Haiku Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance