Police officers open fire in resident...

Police officers open fire in residential neighborhoods now?

Posted in the Hahira Forum

Since: Jun 08

United States

#1 Jun 23, 2008
When did it become acceptable for a Hahira police officer to open fire in a residential neighborhood? How many of you would beleive that one if our local officers would shoot a puppy in front of your house? Well, beleive it, because it happened last week. I have been babysitting a 1 year old boxer puppy for a local military couple after the birth of the new born baby until they had enough money saved up to build a fence. My yard is fenced in and I have a 5 year old bloodhound. Tuesday night I was at a familiy function and the boxer found a way to hop the fence. He saw a motorcyclist and ran up to him as he was driving down Stanfil. From the story the police officer gave, the man fell off his bike, as he was inexperienced and nervous about driving on the roads. The police were dispatched to the scene where the puppy was still there, not attacking anyone. The police officer said he went after the dog who started to go back to the house and the dog growled at him and he open fired and killed him. The dog was tagged, with a collar and up to date shots. I want you to know that at 6pm as we were leaving, this vicious dog was inside my house on the sofa with a 3 year old child sitting on him watching cartoons. A 5 year old was sitting next to them and the puppy had his head in my son's lap. Menacing, isn't it? This police officer came to my house telling a story of this out of control vicious dog that he had to shoot and kill in front of my 2 children. I could not beleive it. Questions that come to my mind, is where was animal control? At what point were they dispatched? Did the dog actually touch anyone, or he was scared and headed home? What does police protocol say about firing your weapon in a residential neighborhood, when there is no real threat? I understand that the dog startled the man, I even understand that police officers must protect themselves. I contacted animal control who said that police officers were supposed to make sure that the dog is not endangering anyone else, and stay in their vehicles till animal control arrives. What if that police officer had missed and had shot someone's house? I even contacted several Lowndes County officers, who all said the same thing. Unless a dog is actively attacking people, biting or harming, it is not protocol to shoot. Was the police officer carrying a taser? Mace? Anything non lethal that would allow animal control to do their jobs? Or do we have a city of trigger happy, puppy killing officers with no regard to their training? I am outraged. Not only at the loss of this dog, but at the officer who stood in my house, in front of my children writing us tickets to appear in court. Let me give that to you again....writing US tickets to appear in court for vicious dog and dog at large. I can only hope and pray that so many of you read this and contact Cheif Terry Davis at [email protected] and complain about the officer's over abuse of power. I am in no way negating that the dog was out, mind you. There was no intentional nor criminal act on our behalf, as we had the appropriate measures in place to contain the dogs. The gates were locked, and both dogs were inside. I feel bad that the dog got out, and that he caused a small accident. I am sure that the man who fell off his bike has every intentions of suing us and I will handle that as it happens. I DO NOT feel, however, that the officers gross abuse of power should go unnoticed.

Since: Jul 08

Perry, GA

#2 Jul 8, 2008
I know the gentleman that the puppy (B.S) attacked, he has over 30 years experience riding a motorcycle, he was riding a new motorcycle at the time of the attack. He was injured from the attack but refused medical help at the scene, but later got medical help. Now about the dog (not a puppy) and he was a mixed pit bulldog. From my understanding, this type of dog is not allowed in Hahira without a permit. Since you have been living here less that a year, maybe you didn't know that. I know many officers and none would have told you unnessary force was used if they were not on the scene. An I never heard of staying in your car until animal control arrives.
I think you screwed up and failed to protect the animal you were entrusted to care for, got a citation for you blunder and are ticked off, you should grow up and take responsibility for your actions.
lets see

Mullins, SC

#3 Aug 12, 2009
I think it was all about the breed i bet if it was a poodle or any other breed the dog would still be living I help place pitt bulls that come in the animal shelter i have seen this stuff to many times hate the crime not the breed if you raise a pitt bull right like any other dog they make great pets.
Randolph

Waverly, IA

#4 Aug 14, 2009
Pitt bulls have a reputation for a reason. I would have shot that vicious animal as well. Good Job Officer!!!
the scientist

Perry, GA

#5 Aug 26, 2009
i would of shot that dog too. those kind of dogs will kill you with out thinking!!!!
tic toc valdosta ga

Milton, FL

#6 Sep 15, 2009
listen i will contact you about the jethro's shooting in front of your house but just remember your dealing with dumb ignorant hahira redneck police bums what you should have done is shot back at him
dot

Atlanta, GA

#7 Sep 23, 2009
i feel for the owner of the poor dog. as a owner of animal now and have worked in vets offices and other animal places. i have had bulldogs and some monster took them. one was 5 years old. a stanger. but maybe the officer didnt have enough exp. with animals. so maybe the thing is to train them what to do. the officer may have thought that the acct. vit. was hurt. i dont know i wasnt there. i have been hurt working with animals and i know what im doin. these poor dogs its not their fault. its the monsters MONSTERS that have did this to them. lock them up and thow away the key. if they like hurting poor dogs (and chickens) what else do they like to hurt? MONSTERS.
deborah hall

Canton, GA

#8 Sep 23, 2009
I agree with Dot. Education is the key. To dealing with animal's. Some people just like to destroy life for the thrill of it. I guess to be a professional police officer you need to have a certain skill level to deal with people and peoples pets. Because your going to run into these type situation's. What if it had been a pet of his boss's child that had accidently got out of his yard? Then it would have been different. Think before you act. Don't just start blasting away. That dog was loved by someone. And there are ways to deal with it better so both parties are satisfied. It's alway's some human with a big powerful gun. Or some big stupid bow and arrow in camo wanting to take a animal down for what? Law enforcement are supposed to protect the public and property. That dog was someone's property and was loved. God put animal's on earth for a reason. For food, and compainionship. Not for bloodlust. Not for abuse. Respect all life. And for God's sake. Take a lesson from Clint Eastwood don't lose your cool before you draw cowboy. Peace.
Harry Callahan

Theodore, AL

#9 Sep 25, 2009
I hope the police issued a citation to the dog sitter for allowing the dog to be loose, in violation of the leash law, and also send her a bill for the ammunition expended, the removal of the beast and the time wasted by officers dealing with her inability to control a dog.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hahira Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Good News Thread (Jan '16) 1 hr Bart 1,244
Melt Thread II (Jan '16) 10 hr Bart 1,026
Random one sentence thoughts > 12 hr Bart 9
Loose Ends Fri brt 97
Pro tips > Fri brt 117
Official: HillDawg Clint0n vs Donald J. Drumpf ... Fri Brt 105
Harveys in Hahira has royally screwed up (Jan '14) Mar '16 Jakes wife 7

Hahira Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance