Hagerstown Good Humor-Breyers plant could close

Feb 4, 2009 Full story: Hometown Annapolis 1,161

Unilever North American and a labor union are discussing the possibility of closing the Good Humor-Breyers Ice Cream plant in Hagerstown.

Full Story
First Prev
of 59
Next Last

Since: Jun 08

Not Waynesboro or Hagerstown

#1 Feb 5, 2009
If there is a Union involved, say goodbye, Good Humor. So sad.
Good Humor2411

Hagerstown, MD

#2 Feb 7, 2009
Everyone has their opinion, I am glad that yours doesn't count with our facility, you are on the outside looking in. I am sorry if you had a bad experience, I have belonged to USW for 14 years, I am buying my own home, own my car, I get to take a vacation every year, I live a decent life...the company chose to sign our contract, which was fair to both sides. We have always come out with a fair contract, all it takes is a little patience and fairness on both sides. We have always respected the company, gave them quality ice cream and productivity with the numbers they needed. This is just a little bump in the road, we will all come out of this in a respectul manner.

Since: Jun 08

Not Waynesboro or Hagerstown

#3 Feb 7, 2009
Of course your opinion counts and mine doesn't. Typical union tactic.

You probably have a more "decent" life than many of your contemporaries in Hagersburg. Why is that? Because if you didn't get your way, the union would strike, so to keep you happy the company has to give into your irresponsible demands.

Do you know who pays for that? The consumer.

Do you know who the consumer is? Your neighbors who aren't living as "decent" of a life as you.

Unions served their purpose many years ago, time to go.

BTW what the heck is a Steel union doing in an Ice Cream Plant?
bereyers

Belmont, MA

#4 Mar 1, 2009
hey dip sht the unions have nothing to do with any thing it is all about how small they can make the company and get the same quanity and if you knew what you were talking about you would know how unilever runs there company. so before you run your mouth get the fact you dope!

bruce

Since: Jun 08

Not Waynesboro or Hagerstown

#5 Mar 2, 2009
bereyers wrote:
hey dip sht the unions have nothing to do with any thing it is all about how small they can make the company and get the same quanity and if you knew what you were talking about you would know how unilever runs there company. so before you run your mouth get the fact you dope!
bruce
You just have to love union lemmings, who, instead of debating the facts presented resort to insults.

Every company tries to run leaner, what's new about that?
hiiii

Saint Louis, MO

#6 Apr 8, 2009
I would love to read this article.Does anyone know how I can?I work at GHB in sikeston,mo. thank you

Since: Apr 09

AOL

#7 Apr 12, 2009
Sure, go to Baltimore Sun newspaper, they have it in their archive and you don't have to pay for it like the cheap paper in Hagerstown. Good luck to you and all your temps that Unilever has in your plant. Go Union! It is a better life!

Since: Jun 08

Not Waynesboro or Hagerstown

#8 Apr 13, 2009
Union, a better life? At what cost?
hiiii

Saint Louis, MO

#9 Apr 13, 2009
we really dont have that many temps.none of us agrees with you about the unuin.wasnt it a union plant that got shut down?

Since: Jun 08

Not Waynesboro or Hagerstown

#10 Apr 15, 2009
Hiiiii

Do all you can to complete a thorough vetting process on the "union".
hiii

Saint Louis, MO

#11 Apr 15, 2009
there is too many people here that say they would not go union.(in sikeston)I myself dont see what a union does for anyone.look at all the places that have unions laying off,closing,but you never know nowadays whats going to happen anywhere.They say they make less money than us and we used to have more i will call them personal days until this year and we had to get the same as everyone else.we had flex days and we could miss 3 days with pay and it wouldnt give us an occurance.I had 7 days built up now its down to 4 and if you miss 1 day you get an incident.anyway i just hope we keep a job here.
not in mo

Frederick, MD

#12 Apr 15, 2009
hiii wrote:
there is too many people here that say they would not go union.(in sikeston)I myself dont see what a union does for anyone.look at all the places that have unions laying off,closing,but you never know nowadays whats going to happen anywhere.They say they make less money than us and we used to have more i will call them personal days until this year and we had to get the same as everyone else.we had flex days and we could miss 3 days with pay and it wouldnt give us an occurance.I had 7 days built up now its down to 4 and if you miss 1 day you get an incident.anyway i just hope we keep a job here.
I hope you keep your job too. I hope we all get to keep our jobs. Hopefully, the company and union with work through this. The unions have some good points and are good for some things and they have their bad points and sometimes they piss me off with some of the stuff they do. What can you do its not our fault if they close the plant because of the union. I am only a member not a rep. I couldn't be a rep, I refuse to defend those who don't want to come to work or do their job.What really pisses me off are those that are always on the edge with their occurences. I have been there 23 years and as an operator we make 19.00 an hour. I read that your operators make 22.00 an hour. is that true?

Since: Apr 09

AOL

#13 Apr 15, 2009
hiii wrote:
there is too many people here that say they would not go union.(in sikeston)I myself dont see what a union does for anyone.look at all the places that have unions laying off,closing,but you never know nowadays whats going to happen anywhere.They say they make less money than us and we used to have more i will call them personal days until this year and we had to get the same as everyone else.we had flex days and we could miss 3 days with pay and it wouldnt give us an occurance.I had 7 days built up now its down to 4 and if you miss 1 day you get an incident.anyway i just hope we keep a job here.
Let me ask you a question: If they would close your plant, would you get a severance pay, if so, how much? This is in our contract, and as it states by my age and years of service, they would pay me 52 weeks of severance..I think that is pretty darn good start until I found another job.
hiii

Saint Louis, MO

#14 Apr 15, 2009
ok i will answer both of you.yes our operators make a little over 20.00 our wrappers make a little over 18.00 and i am a handpacker and make a little over 16.00.so if you make 19.00 they dont make that much more.if they would close our plant we wouldnt get shit.so which one of you can me and my son move in with?LOL!
hiii

Saint Louis, MO

#15 Apr 15, 2009
oh and i dont know much about unions,i really dont and i am glad that you have one if it works for you but i feel that i have enough taken out of my paycheck without paying dues.how much are the dues?what else have they done except for severance pay?oh and added personal days which like i said we lost some of ours thank you very much.i mean we have no problems that arent petty and usually they can be taken care of by just talking to kelly or one of the other bosses.we have a really easy job considering how much they pay us,pretty boring but easy.please tell me about what goes on in yours thats different i would really love to know.
hiii

Saint Louis, MO

#16 Apr 15, 2009
i didnt post this on the sikeston one and i am really surprised noone on there has said anything.we have a big meeting for all of our bosses on monday they are shutting both plants down for that day.i hope it doesnt mean anything but you never know.kinda has me worried.but through the grape vine they said its just their normal quarterly meeting they usually have on sat. but corporate doesnt want them to do it on sat. anymore but that doesnt make sense because look at all the production stopped.what do ya think should we be worried?
not in mo

Frederick, MD

#17 Apr 16, 2009
hiii wrote:
ok i will answer both of you.yes our operators make a little over 20.00 our wrappers make a little over 18.00 and i am a handpacker and make a little over 16.00.so if you make 19.00 they dont make that much more.if they would close our plant we wouldnt get shit.so which one of you can me and my son move in with?LOL!
I don't think you have anything to worry about. Have you been there a long time? You can come to work at our plant, I will move you and your son in with me...lol
not in mo

Frederick, MD

#18 Apr 16, 2009
hiii wrote:
i didnt post this on the sikeston one and i am really surprised noone on there has said anything.we have a big meeting for all of our bosses on monday they are shutting both plants down for that day.i hope it doesnt mean anything but you never know.kinda has me worried.but through the grape vine they said its just their normal quarterly meeting they usually have on sat. but corporate doesnt want them to do it on sat. anymore but that doesnt make sense because look at all the production stopped.what do ya think should we be worried?
well that doesn't make much sense now does it. Maybe that is why they had decided to make us run 6 days for the next several months. Have you all been working much overtime? How many days a week are you running? Is there alot of room in your plant for machines? I hope they are not meeting to decide where to put all our machines..that is weird.
hiii

Saint Louis, MO

#19 Apr 16, 2009
not in mo wrote:
<quoted text> I don't think you have anything to worry about. Have you been there a long time? You can come to work at our plant, I will move you and your son in with me...lol
11 years and my son is 12 thanks alot.lol!i dont think he would want to move he has a girlfriend!
hiii

Saint Louis, MO

#20 Apr 16, 2009
not in mo wrote:
<quoted text> well that doesn't make much sense now does it. Maybe that is why they had decided to make us run 6 days for the next several months. Have you all been working much overtime? How many days a week are you running? Is there alot of room in your plant for machines? I hope they are not meeting to decide where to put all our machines..that is weird.
most of the machines here run 5 days.there is no room at the plant i work at i am at the old one but i dont know about the new one.i hardly ever go over there and have to work.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 59
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hagerstown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
rv center (Oct '08) Tue matt raffer 20
The Wolf Organization shedding lumber yards (Dec '08) Dec 19 Pavlos Lombardi 3
Debate: Marijuana - Hagerstown, MD (Aug '10) Dec 6 common sense 43
Review: Life Treatment Center (Apr '13) Nov '14 Todd 5
Do You Know George Issac Rice? ( Ike) (Nov '09) Nov '14 wolf 1972 2
Church of God Universal is a Cult (Jul '12) Oct '14 mct 28
polo guy Oct '14 nice guy 1
Hagerstown Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Hagerstown People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Hagerstown News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Hagerstown

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 12:27 pm PST

NBC Sports12:27PM
Joe Flacco: Nothing to do but go out and win the next one
NBC Sports 1:17 PM
Kubiak makes his point as Ravens offensive coordinator - NBC Sports
ESPN 1:45 PM
Harbaugh's brother: Family staying out of it
Bleacher Report 6:32 PM
Previewing Redskins vs. Cowboys
CBS Sports 7:55 PM
John Harbaugh: Family not pushing Jim Harbaugh to Michigan