Maryland law enforcement using tag re...

Maryland law enforcement using tag readers

There are 23 comments on the Public Opinion story from May 13, 2011, titled Maryland law enforcement using tag readers. In it, Public Opinion reports that:

May 13, 2011 -- The Maryland State Police, Washington County Sheriff's Office and Hagerstown Police Department joined forces and used modern technology to identify drivers who continue to drive with suspended driver's licenses or with vehicle tags that are suspended.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Public Opinion.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Not fallen”

Since: May 08

WalMartBoro, PA

#1 May 13, 2011
Oh-oh. Under the radar will never be the same, lol.

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#2 May 13, 2011
Next step, installed on lights with auto tickets being mailed.
Due Process

Chambersburg, PA

#3 May 13, 2011
I wish the systems could tell who doesn't have insurance.
blah

United States

#4 May 13, 2011
why dont we just have check points at every city block, check points and security barricades at all places where consumer goods are purchased.....maybe we should all be required to do have a meeting monthly with a government official so they can see what each citizen is up to. i think we should also do yearly house inspections like they do in japan as well.....our founding fathers are rolling in the graves!
Mcgurk the Crimedog

Greencastle, PA

#5 May 14, 2011
blah wrote:
why dont we just have check points at every city block, check points and security barricades at all places where consumer goods are purchased.....maybe we should all be required to do have a meeting monthly with a government official so they can see what each citizen is up to. i think we should also do yearly house inspections like they do in japan as well.....our founding fathers are rolling in the graves!
you forgot to add unit inspections .......
marineman

Needmore, PA

#6 May 14, 2011
blah wrote:
If you are breaking the law, then you deserve the appropriate punishment! If you don't like the law, work thru the system to get it changed. Live with it or get out!
Diamond Cutter

Waynesboro, PA

#7 May 14, 2011
Is this a Maryland only scheme? If not how do they keep track of every drivers status in all states.
ILOVEIT

Mifflin, PA

#8 May 14, 2011
This is a must. This should be thruout the nation.
If you are legit, then you have nothing to be concerned about.
Anon

Jersey Shore, PA

#9 May 14, 2011
Problem is this only checks the vehicle tag, which works great for registration and tags, but what reason would they have to pull over the vehicle for suspended license? How do they know who's driving? Multiple people can drive the same vehicle, and just because one might have a suspended license, doesn't mean the car can no longer be operated right?

I'm not defending those who curb the law, they shouldn't be doing it, but this reeks of a revenue generating machine, much like the speed cameras that ticket the vehicle owners, though they may not even be driving.
Really

Shippensburg, PA

#10 May 14, 2011
Anon wrote:
Problem is this only checks the vehicle tag, which works great for registration and tags, but what reason would they have to pull over the vehicle for suspended license? How do they know who's driving? Multiple people can drive the same vehicle, and just because one might have a suspended license, doesn't mean the car can no longer be operated right?
I'm not defending those who curb the law, they shouldn't be doing it, but this reeks of a revenue generating machine, much like the speed cameras that ticket the vehicle owners, though they may not even be driving.
if it is a revenue generating scheme good! Let those who break the law pay for the enforcement.
Anon

Mercersburg, PA

#11 May 14, 2011
About 1% of the population is driving on suspended licenses. Get them off the road, I am sure they are a hazard.
Judicial Scholar

Chambersburg, PA

#12 May 14, 2011
One thing to remember is that crack dealing thugs will never operate a vehicle registered in their own name. Crack dealing thugs use rental cars and therefore every vehicle that is registered to a rental company and appears to be operated by a crack dealing thug needs to be stopped and raided by Law Enforcement officials.
WTF

Spring Grove, PA

#13 May 14, 2011
Maryland, figures. Here in PA, the state boys still have to type it in manually. Which they do, just running tags to see who they can get to fill the quotas.

God forbid they do some real policework instead of either running everyone for no reason or harassing the locals.
Wild Bill

Chambersburg, PA

#14 May 14, 2011
Something to ponder ...

http://www.apfn.org/apfn/travel.htm

Visit jackmclamb.com for more info.
artillery

New Oxford, PA

#15 May 14, 2011
So, if I understand this correctly.... If my vehicle registration and my license are kept up to date, then I have nothing to worry about.

Is that correct?

If so, it seems like a pretty simple thing to do in order to avoid getting ticketed for either a past due vehicle registration or an expired driver's license.
rodney

Chambersburg, PA

#16 May 14, 2011
Judicial Scholar wrote:
One thing to remember is that crack dealing thugs will never operate a vehicle registered in their own name. Crack dealing thugs use rental cars and therefore every vehicle that is registered to a rental company and appears to be operated by a crack dealing thug needs to be stopped and raided by Law Enforcement officials.
but the only problem with that is they dont want to stop drugs they want people on drugs so they can get what they want and its working.
Old School

Edinburg, VA

#17 May 14, 2011
Arizona has the best solution; lose your license, lose your license tag!(or at least they used to, don't know if this still applies). Someone else in your family need to share the auto, too bad. Only one way to deal with idiots; treat them like idiots!
PA needs this

Philadelphia, PA

#18 May 14, 2011
Anon wrote:
I am guessing the 25 people that were cited for Driving under suspension were stopped for another vehicle code violation (75 registration's suspended).
anon

North Fort Myers, FL

#19 May 14, 2011
I've read where they use the technology in parking lots - I think they do it at BWI. The cars have to park in the spaces face in, and they have a "gun" that reads the tags and checks them against a database to find cars with no registration, suspended licenses, too many tickets, etc.

A friend worked with a crew of guys who haven't had a license in years, and they drove from Bedford County to Baltimore and other places every week. They stopped at our house one evening last summer drunk as skunks; they were on their way home from Baltimore. If that technology had been used to identify them, people on the Turnpike would have been much safer....
Not true

Chambersburg, PA

#20 May 14, 2011
PA has some cars that scan as they drive. They have 2 rectangular boxes on the rear fenders,
WTF wrote:
Maryland, figures. Here in PA, the state boys still have to type it in manually. Which they do, just running tags to see who they can get to fill the quotas.
God forbid they do some real policework instead of either running everyone for no reason or harassing the locals.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hagerstown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
huge estate sale Apr 20 chasenpolk 1
Church of God Universal is a Cult (Jul '12) Apr 7 wondering 48
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Maryland (... (Oct '10) Mar 30 Bill Grimes-Wyatt 20
Review: Roadrunner Towing & Recovery, Inc Mar '17 ProudTrucker 1
rv center (Oct '08) Mar '17 frank gordon 25
News The Wolf Organization shedding lumber yards (Dec '08) Jan '17 Anonymous 4
News Inquiry targets Md. gang (Feb '08) Dec '16 Jack Myhogoff 18

Hagerstown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hagerstown Mortgages