Md. bill seeks to rename Negro, Polis...

Md. bill seeks to rename Negro, Polish mountains

There are 11 comments on the Public Opinion story from Feb 7, 2011, titled Md. bill seeks to rename Negro, Polish mountains. In it, Public Opinion reports that:

A Maryland state senator said she has introduced a bill to rename Negro Mountain, an Appalachian ridge dedicated to the heroism of an 18th century black man, because the name is insensitive.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Public Opinion.

anon

Shippensburg, PA

#1 Feb 7, 2011
Does Maryland get to change the name of a mountain that extends into Pennsylvania without the concent of Pennsylvania because the name offends some Annapolis beauracrat?
cletus slack jawed yocal

United States

#2 Feb 7, 2011
I have drove over this mt many many times on my way to the mts of wv, Often wondered how long it would take till some beauracrat steped up to justify their existance, who really cares about the name? how much will this cost the taxpayers of md? i would be willing to bet 85% of the people of md never knew this mt existed,:-)
is this a joke

Greencastle, PA

#3 Feb 8, 2011
You've got to be kidding! The economy is a mess and some state senator is worried about the name of a mountain. Political correctness is becoming more and more outrageous. Have these politicians nothing better to do?
is this a joke

Greencastle, PA

#4 Feb 8, 2011
You've got to be kidding! The economy is a mess,and some state senator has nothing better to do then worry about the name of a mountain? Political correctness is becoming more and more outrageous.
disagree

Greencastle, PA

#5 Feb 8, 2011
Figured it'd be a democrat
Farmer Harry

Greencastle, PA

#6 Feb 8, 2011
You've got to be kidding! The economy is a mess,and some state senator has nothing better to do then worry about the name of a mountain? Political correctness is becoming more and more outrageous.
Dan the Man

Abington, PA

#7 Feb 8, 2011
How is the word "Polish" insensitive? It's not like the call it "polack" mountain.
polsky

AOL

#10 Mar 11, 2011
hopefully the people in the two legislature's districts have more sense than them...
Really

Loysville, PA

#12 Mar 12, 2011
Farmer Harry wrote:
we got it the first time Weddle!
Really tired of it

Biglerville, PA

#13 Mar 12, 2011
You have got to be kidding.

Since: Jan 10

United States

#14 Mar 12, 2011
Maybe alot of the sports teams should change thier names. How far do we take this?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hagerstown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Boy Handcuffed, Beaten After Eating Birthday Ca... Jul 3 ellise7 1
News 19 Year Old Illegal Alien Cristian Alexander Ma... Jun 29 tomin cali 1
Washington County Sheriff's Office Buys $68K In... Jun '15 Unhappy citizen 1
News White supremacists stage rally (Jun '06) Jun '15 jed 13
In need of something May '15 prestongoodlove 2
Wives who spank May '15 prestongoodlove 3
Coty Henson May '15 lalaland 2
More from around the web

Hagerstown People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE